Apple's online store begins taking preorders for iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I acknowledge it! It's a huge update! Anybody who claims otherwise simply doesn't know what they're talking about and is totally clueless.

The A8X chip seems to be a beast! And the A8 motion sensor seems to be cool too. 40% faster CPU! 2.5x faster graphics! How in the hell is that minor?

What else has been improved or is brand new?

Improved camera (both front & back) plus many camera features from the iPhone like slow mo, burst mode, time lapse and panorama.

Super thin(thinnest tablet in the world!, thinner than an iPhone 6) and super light, less than a damn pound!

Improved display, which is now optically bonded, which means no more gaps, just like on the iPhone. This is the first time that such a display is available for iPad. And it now has the best anti-reflective coating found on any tablet!

Touch ID and ?Pay! 'nuff said!

Faster WIFI!

Anybody who claims that this is not a great update must either be a Fandroid or they must be broke and can't afford one.

Let's not forget the likely doubling to 2GB RAM. That alone is a big win. Massive upgrade for me still holding the iPad 2. 

• Reply 22 of 99
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Let's not forget the likely doubling to 2GB RAM. That alone is a big win. Massive upgrade for me still holding the iPad 2. 

Yes, that hasn't been confirmed 100% yet, but I do believe that it most likely has 2 GB of RAM, based on those leaks and pictures of the chips that we have seen.

We will know for sure soon enough.

• Reply 23 of 99
    iPad Air 2
    Gold
    64GB
    WIFI
    Black Smart Cover????
  • Reply 24 of 99
    Quote:

Some people are complaining about the iPad Mini 3, which I can understand, since the only new thing on that is gold and touch ID.

However, I've always felt that last year's iPad Mini should never have been equal to the iPad Air in terms of specs. And I didn't like that it was $100 cheaper than the Air, so I'm glad that Apple changed their strategy this year.

Some people may have been disappointed by the iPad Mini 3 this year, but the iPad Air 2 is killer!

You make no sense, and never have.  Why should one iPad be crippled in performance simply because one offers a smaller screen than the other?  Both should have the same performance with different screen options….they are the same device, an iPad.  It was $100 cheaper because the display and manufacturing were cheaper.  Why do you not understand that?  Now Apple shot themselves in the foot with the iPad Mini 3 because no one will spend $100 more for a fingerprint button and gold.  Do you remember the "black tax" with the MacBook?  They will stick with the iPad Mini 2 for less money.  If the iPad Mini 3 also got the A8, then you would have a benefit to the $100 premium, but not for a fingerprint button and gold.  That is why the iPad Mini 3 got very little mention at all, they totally downplayed it.  If you want a crippled iPad to make yourself happy, you can still buy the original iPad mini with the pokey A5 and crappy screen.  I am sure you will bend your new iPad Air 2 when you try to cram it in your skinny jeans.

• Reply 25 of 99
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Some people are complaining about the iPad Mini 3, which I can understand, since the only new thing on that is gold and touch ID.

However, I've always felt that last year's iPad Mini should never have been equal to the iPad Air in terms of specs. And I didn't like that it was $100 cheaper than the Air, so I'm glad that Apple changed their strategy this year.

Some people may have been disappointed by the iPad Mini 3 this year, but the iPad Air 2 is killer!

The iPad Mini beats the iPad Air in one spec: pixel density. That should satisfy the people who treat the pixel density race as a kind of simplistic numbers game to be won or lost on paper, rather than what it does for the end user experience.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Yup!

Space Grey
    128GB
    Cellular/GPS

Red cover

I'll tell you, it was driving me nuts about the store opening time. Usually it's been done at night. But this time it was crazy.

I do t recall being offered the Verizon sim though, so I'll have to run out and get one as soon as this comes in. Good thing they have a store just four blocks away. Unless I can use the one in my Air.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This does puzzle me. IPad Air2 is a massive update but nobody seems willing to acknowledge that fact. I wait for details on A8X as I'm always curious about hardware. This GPU ought to make for one snappy iPad.

I honestly feel many tech websites are fearful of praising Apple. There is too much backlash from their core readers calling the journalists biased and 'in the pay of Apple'.
    I'm sure many people who liked hearing impartial and fair reviews, have just given up on those sites leaving only an anti-Apple majority.

They now only write to entertain and pacify their readership.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You make no sense, and never have.  Why should one iPad be crippled in performance simply because one offers a smaller screen than the other?  Both should have the same performance with different screen options….they are the same device, an iPad.  It was $100 cheaper because the display and manufacturing were cheaper.  Why do you not understand that?  Now Apple shot themselves in the foot with the iPad Mini 3 because no one will spend $100 more for a fingerprint button and gold.  Do you remember the "black tax" with the MacBook?  They will stick with the iPad Mini 2 for less money.  If the iPad Mini 3 also got the A8, then you would have a benefit to the $100 premium, but not for a fingerprint button and gold.  That is why the iPad Mini 3 got very little mention at all, they totally downplayed it.  If you want a crippled iPad to make yourself happy, you can still buy the original iPad mini with the pokey A5 and crappy screen.  I am sure you will bend your new iPad Air 2 when you try to cram it in your skinny jeans.

I make perfect sense, and Apple apparently agrees with me, since they decided to change their strategy this year.

I said a year ago that the iPad Mini should not be identical to the iPad Air and retail for $100 less!

Apple has now seen the errors of their ways, and they have now adopted a more sensible strategy.

And I don't wear any skinny jeans, and I'm also not a moron who is likely to bend any devices that I own, like those idiots who go around purposely bending and breaking their iPhones.

• Reply 29 of 99
    Quote:

What else has been improved or is brand new?

Dat barometer!

• Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Dat barometer!

True! I believe that it's part of the A8 motion chip.

• Reply 31 of 99
    amoradala wrote: »
    I honestly feel many tech websites are fearful of praising Apple. There is too much backlash from their core readers calling the journalists biased and 'in the pay of Apple'.
    I'm sure many people who liked hearing impartial and fair reviews, have just given up on those sites leaving only an anti-Apple majority.

Not Engadget. They had the most cynical liveblog I've ever seem yesterday. Absolutely horrid reporting, I won't use them again. I can get my news other places. They've been going downhill for years, but yesterday was bad. Their chief editor is a total fandroid.
  • Reply 32 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Do you remember the "black tax" with the MacBook?  

I sure do. I bought a black Macbook back in the day. I can't stand white Macbooks, so I gladly paid more just to get black.

• Reply 33 of 99
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Won't you miss the GPS tagging of photos now that you didn't get the cellular version? Or are you wise enough to not take photos with an iPad to begin with - that would be what I expect.

Why would anybody want or need to tag their photos with GPS info? Seriously, does anybody have a legitimate real-world use for this feature?

• Reply 34 of 99
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I make perfect sense, and Apple apparently agrees with me, since they decided to change their strategy this year.

I said a year ago that the iPad Mini should not be identical to the iPad Air and retail for $100 less!

Apple has now seen the errors of their ways, and they have now adopted a more sensible strategy.

And I don't wear any skinny jeans, and I'm also not a moron who is likely to bend any devices that I own, like those idiots who go around purposely bending and breaking their iPhones.

Here's what I think. I think the A7 in the iPad Air was an anomaly and all future Air (and possibly "pro" devices) will use an X variant chip. With the mini I think Apple's ultimate goal is current iPhone chip and the mini 3 will be updated next year (perhaps in the spring) with the A8 chip. Maybe the mini will move to a spring launch cycle. Now if Apple has decided that the mini going forward will always be a generation behind the iPhone/iPad chip/display technology then I think charging $400 for it ridiculous and they might as well just kill the product. I think it would be a shame though as some people want the smalle form factor but don't want a data plan.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    amoradala wrote: »

And then you have The Verge which is clearly not pro-Apple but throws up umpteen Apple stories on keynote day just because they know it's good for clicks.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    rogifan wrote: »
    And then you have The Verge which is clearly not pro-Apple but throws up umpteen Apple stories on keynote day just because they know it's good for clicks.

They get accused of being both pro and anti-Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 99

Should have mentioned I did the engraving on the back.  That may be why my delivery date is Oct 29-31st, even though shipping will be in 2-4 days...

• Reply 38 of 99
    mike1 wrote: »
    Why would anybody want or need to tag their photos with GPS info? Seriously, does anybody have a legitimate real-world use for this feature?

I once took a course in photography. Learned zilch but did have a great time with the students and the teacher. Especially when people asked where this was taken:

• Reply 39 of 99
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Ha! I take that.

• Reply 40 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Should have mentioned I did the engraving on the back.  That may be why my delivery date is Oct 29-31st, even though shipping will be in 2-4 days...

Aha! That makes sense now.

I didn't get any engraving on mine, as it's not a gift to anybody else besides myself, and if I need to sell it when the iPad Pro comes out, then it's easier to get rid of without any engravings I think.