IBM's first enterprise apps for iPad to launch next month as iPad reaches 90 percent tablet share in

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    I lost track of the story about an education department in CA that cancelled the order for iPads due to some internal politics. Anyone know waht is the status of that situation now? Please don't tell me they supplied the kids with third rate technology.

The person who initiated the deal was excoriated in public and just recently resigned.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I lost track of the story about an education department in CA that cancelled the order for iPads due to some internal politics. Anyone know waht is the status of that situation now? Please don't tell me they supplied the kids with third rate technology.

Last I heard the overall contract was going out to be re-bid, but a significant number of the iPads had been distributed already. It was Los Angeles Unified. 

• Reply 23 of 95
    Attention web site designer... Is this considered functional mobile web design? Look at that massively disproportional headline!

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51060/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 24 of 95
    brucemc wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    We've had 3 quarters in a row of negative growth YOY. Some people say that just means iPad is more like the PC than smartphone in terms of replacement cycles. Yet Mac sales were the best ever this quarter without any new products having been released by Apple. Seems to me iPad is being canibalized by the iPhone and the Mac. Cook says he's fine with that. But how about doing something with iPad beyond making it thinner to help spur growth? How about a larger iPad that has digitizer support and side by side app multitasking? Apple has filed many pen based patent applications. When do we see them come to fruition? They've also filed many patent applications for different Smart Cover uses. We haven't seen any of those either. I think iPad is ripe for experimentation by Apple. The improvements we got with iPad Air 2 are great but not mind blowing. And I'm not talking about the chip technology (or Touch ID). The chip technology Apple is working on belongs in more than just a super thin iPad.i
    I see the signs in the last number of months that Apple is taking advancement of the iPad more seriously than before.  The IBM partnership is clearly one to help drive in the enterprise, where iPad and its mobility may help drive productivity, and thus become an important tool.  TouchID for security (multiple applications possible in consumer and enterprise, beyond ?Pay) is a key part of that.  Also, for the iPad Air 2, the A8X is bringing significant horsepower for apps that might need it.  Thin and (especially) light, along with the screen, are some of the most important attributes for a device which is meant to be held and touched.  Apple is investing more in this than any competitor.

While enterprise, and education, are important markets to grow unit growth and to expose people to the products, they are much smaller in unit potential than consumer.  So focus on consumer is still the "most" important in terms of growing overall unit growth.  Thus we see at a keynote the focus on consumer areas such as cameras, consumer apps, etc.

Now, I am with you in wanting additional capabilities, especially the ability to use a digitizer (like) device to be able to have fine grain control on the device (writing, drawing, diagram development).  Now that Apple has established that the primary and default input method is the finger, I believe they can safely add a digitizer/stylus type of input to increase the uses, as the iPad can work perfectly well without it - it is simply a way to make it better for some apps and use cases.  I think this will appeal to a wide audience (creatives, education, enterprise...)

If rumours are true (and there are many), then Apple is indeed working on a larger iPad, and it should hopefully be out next year.  Also, while the Mini 3 update is criticized (with some reason I agree), if you look at the lineup going into this holiday season and next year, it is the best in terms of both high end devices (Air 2), and breadth of price points.  A new iPad Mini starting at $250 will increase unit share, with I expect now limited impact on margins.  This is the same strategy that Apple has done this year with Macs, and we are seeing the benefits there.

Remember that iPad, as leading the modern tablet (3rd device) category, is still relatively new (4.5 years), and its uses and fit within the market are still being learnt by Apple and everyone else.  I am certainly giving Apple the benefit of the doubt, especially as with the iPad + Mac they are the (by far) largest computing device vendor.

Circa 1980, Apple pretty much dominated the personal computer market -- which would evolve into what is commonly called the consumer computer market, today.

Then, the IBM/PC appeared on the scene and was broadly accepted by enterprise -- a no-brainer, really ... as the saying goes: "Nobody gets fired for buying IBM".

This became the meme for the next 2 decades -- the PC (all brands) dominated the enterprise and MS dominated the Software. By most accounts, attaining mid 90% penetration of the enterprise market.

A natural fanout from the enterprise penetration was buying a WinTel machine to work/play at home ... The enterprise market drove the consumer market!

I think we are on the cusp of another meme-change... And. it's kind of ironic that Steve got it right -- just a little ahead of his time:

• Reply 25 of 95
    And, the elephant in the room is that most of that developing' is being done in Swift.
    Also, latest Xcode update brought Swift support to Mac apps for everyone, not just Beta-testers ^^

Have you seen this?

http://www.swiftstub.com/281087420/

Apple should do a similar site which includes the Cocoa and UIKit APIs
  • Reply 26 of 95
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51068/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Don't you just love it when AAPL pays for your toys :D

Edit: WOOT! One of those toys, my [I] continue [/I] iMac 27 5K is on the truck for delivery -- a day eary!
  • Reply 27 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The person who initiated the deal was excoriated in public and just recently resigned.

Excoriated? I had to look up if that word has a second meaning, because to me that sentence you wrote says that the public scratched him until he bled. Apparently it can also mean to criticize severely.

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary today! (Also, I don't think the triple-tap to define gets enough attention on OS X.)

• Reply 28 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Also, latest Xcode update brought Swift support to Mac apps for everyone, not just Beta-testers ^^

Is this the Xcode in the app store, or do you still have to download it from the developer website?

EDIT: I missed that Xcode 6.1 was released yesterday. Thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Have you seen this?

It looks like it's just an online Playground - why not just use Xcode?

• Reply 29 of 95
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    undefined
  • Reply 30 of 95

When will Apple/IBM partner up with Watson to take Siri to a whole other level?

• Reply 31 of 95
    When will Apple/IBM partner up with Watson to take Siri to a whole other level?

"When Watson Met Siri"
  • Reply 32 of 95
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

@Relic - nice looking case! I'd give it a try if i were you regardless of whether anyone chimes in a review or not.

Now about the rest of your "wishes" post. You and your family are so technologically fit that I have to place you in the "outlier" category. The things you do... and want to do more of... is just not on an "average" users radar. In fact it is the focused full-screen nature of using an iPad that have caused so many millions to gravitate to the platform.

Multitasking has always been great for people like yourself and many folks here and on assorted tech forums, but you really should observe how the average person uses a PC or even a Mac. It is so primitive*** as to wonder why Microsoft and Apple has had the success they they have had on desktops over the years. And witness: Microsoft is having a very hard time of staying relevant outside of the old enterprise systems the way it is.

I expect iPads to remain the way they are for some time to come, especially with enterprise now getting involved more deeply. In my experience, it has been the 40-60 year old sales people and executives that are the most primitive of users and the most difficult to train. They absolutely love iPads for the reason that you're giving why Apple should integrate more multitasking.

*** My description of "primitive usage": is a 27" monitor where everything including finder windows open to 100% full screen, and then closed (or quit in windows) every time a user moves to doing something else. Really... you don't know how many times within the last couple of years that I've shown people how to "minimize" a program or window, use drag and drop, or even Strg (Cmd) - Tab to cycle through windows or programs. Or how to change from icon view to detailed (list) view and sort columns by date rather than name. Many of these people have been on a desktop computer for no less than 12-15 years(!) and are successful business owners or sales executives in their 50's.

No doubt some of these features on my wish list might be considered advanced but be able to run more than one program in the background is defiantly something a lot of people need. Just the other day I was playing around with a DJ app that was able to take songs from Spotify and mix them. Great little app I though, I spent a good hour making a Beatles MegaMix, I thought I would listen to it while I program, when I minimized the app the music stop playing, aaahhh, frustrating as all hell. This wasn't a professional app by any measure of the definition however I could defiantly see the need to want to listen to your mix's while your do something else. There are lot's of examples like this, instead I get comments, not talking to you here Doc, what you need is a Mac Book or a Surface, I have both of those, I want an iPad with better multitasking, this doesn't mean I'm a Troll, I bought a new iPad, in fact I'm buying two more because I can't run all my music creation apps at once.

Hey Doc, yea I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the keyboard, it's going to help a lot while I'm still stuck in bed, I can't wait, right now I'm just using my MS Wedge Keyboard.

• Reply 33 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Back in my IBM days*, a derogatory joke was:

"If you dance with an 800 lb gorilla -- you stop when the gorilla gets tired"

I wonder what happens when an 800 lb gorilla dances with a 12,000 pound elephant ...

* for years IBM had 97% of the maimframe computer market.

Oh believe me I remember the big blue days. That said I never felt the same sort of animosity towards IMB as I did Microcrap and co. It is kind of nice and fuzzy to think of little blue cozying up to Big Apple though :)
  • Reply 34 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

That had to hurt.

Hopefully on rebid Apple is still the supplier of choice. Meanwhile I wonder how Delta pilots are enjoying their, what was it, second generation Surface tablets?
  • Reply 35 of 95
    relic wrote: »
    No doubt some of these features on my wish list might be considered advanced but be able to run more than one program in the background is defiantly something a lot of people need. Just the other day I was playing around with a DJ app that was able to take songs from Spotify and mix them. Great little app I though, I spent a good hour making a Beatles MegaMix, I thought I would listen to it while I program, when I minimized the app the music stop playing, aaahhh, frustrating as all hell. This wasn't a professional app by any measure of the definition however I could defiantly see the need to want to listen to your mix's while your do something else. There are lot's of examples like this, instead I get comments, not talking to you here Doc, what you need is a Mac Book or a Surface, I have both of those, I want an iPad with better multitasking, this doesn't mean I'm a Troll, I bought a new iPad, in fact I'm buying two more because I can't run all my music creation apps at once.

Hey Doc, yea I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the keyboard, it's going to help a lot while I'm still stuck in bed, I can't wait, right now I'm just using my MS Wedge Keyboard.

I definitely think that at some point soon... maybe iOS 9 they will make the jump to multitasking. Maybe even sooner (WWDC 2015?...sooner?) if that 12-13" iPad is in the works as rumored.

Apple as big as they are... I think are still a bit thin with engineers with all of the projects they have going on at the moment. They're taking the battle to their competitors with a cohesive hardware/software desktop, mobile and ecosystem strategy, that if you list all of the things they are doing... and doing better than any other one tech company on the planet... it really becomes quite mind-boggling.

That there are some things not making a due date until absolutely ready... and still small hiccups along the way with the things that do, tells me the entire Apple team is working flat out pedal to the metal. I personally think it's better to get things right, before doing things too soon and becoming like the other guys. The big iPhones is a case in point.

Glad to hear about the iPad case order... and of course you'll be sure to give us all a great review of an Apple-centric product just as you do for those other fun toys from the "Other Guys".... right? :smokey:
  • Reply 36 of 95
    Quote:

Don't you just love it when AAPL pays for your toys image

Edit: WOOT! One of those toys, my continue iMac 27 5K is on the truck for delivery -- a day eary!

"Let the good times roll"... would work out better as "Prendre du bon temps" or "Profiter des bons moments", actually. Also, I'm a bit miffed to not have seen an iMac Monitor upgrade. I have a gorgeous Pro on the table that is connected to a DELL screen (a good screen, but ... iMac Retina... no... comparison... possible...)

• Reply 37 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Apple as big as they are... I think are still a bit thin with engineers with all of the projects they have going on at the moment. 

Apple has two "issues". One, if you look at their HQ... it's not that big compared to their market cap. Two, if you hire the most trustworthy out of the best in the world... that is not that many people.

Though, I'd be happy to work within those lines if I was a CEO...

• Reply 38 of 95
    Apple has two "issues". One, if you look at their HQ...[/B] it's not that big compared to their market cap. Two, if you hire the most trustworthy out of the best in the world... that is not that many people.

Though, I'd be happy to work within those lines if I was a CEO...

Blue: ...and wasn't even counting that one mega project(!)

Red: Trustworthy... AND talented, dedicated, motivated, driven to always give their best... and probably another 6 characteristics that are harder and harder to come by in one person... or even coerce in to working at Apple since they are rather famous for wanting every last drop of blood, sweat and tears from the people they put their trust into. For someone with only the first 2 qualities... I bet they think twice about their confidence in sustaining the other ones.
  • Reply 39 of 95
    Quote:

cool, works just fine in the Terminal (swift, then the interpreter kicks in). import Foundation takes like, a full second here :/

• Reply 40 of 95

Is this the Xcode in the app store, or do you still have to download it from the developer website?

EDIT: I missed that Xcode 6.1 was released yesterday. Thanks.
    Have you seen this?

It looks like it's just an online Playground - why not just use Xcode?

Because XCode doesn't run on an iPad, for example ...