IBM's first enterprise apps for iPad to launch next month as iPad reaches 90 percent tablet share in

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    relic wrote: »
    No doubt some of these features on my wish list might be considered advanced but be able to run more than one program in the background is defiantly something a lot of people need. Just the other day I was playing around with a DJ app that was able to take songs from Spotify and mix them. Great little app I though, I spent a good hour making a Beatles MegaMix, I thought I would listen to it while I program, when I minimized the app the music stop playing, aaahhh, frustrating as all hell. This wasn't a professional app by any measure of the definition however I could defiantly see the need to want to listen to your mix's while your do something else. There are lot's of examples like this, instead I get comments, not talking to you here Doc, what you need is a Mac Book or a Surface, I have both of those, I want an iPad with better multitasking, this doesn't mean I'm a Troll, I bought a new iPad, in fact I'm buying two more because I can't run all my music creation apps at once.

Hey Doc, yea I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the keyboard, it's going to help a lot while I'm still stuck in bed, I can't wait, right now I'm just using my MS Wedge Keyboard.

Saw this and thought of you.... maybe lo-tech might be the answer to your woes... it's touch-enabled, but not sure how SSHing into your server and compiling an app might work? Ideas? :D

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 82 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Except that you are now shrinking the market for the iPad... moving a person from an iPad to a MBA.

I thought the whole idea was to have the iPad do more to increase its market.

Exactly. If I have a powerful phone and a powerful laptop why do I want an expensive toy in between that doesn't really fill a need? If I just want to browse, use some apps and watch some films a cheap tablet is all that's needed. When I want to be productive I pull out the Macbook.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pugilistic View Post

Saw this and thought of you.... maybe lo-tech might be the answer to your woes... it's touch-enabled, but not sure how SS Hing into your server and compiling an app might work? Ideas? image

Damn hippies, get a job, funny, you know I also play the violin and piano, though their both wired to be recorded. Tech makes me happy, besides, women multitask better than men, it's only natural that we would also transfer that ability to the way we use computers. Doc, you must also think that not being able to run whatever app you want in the background is just a tad bit, I don't know, old/restrictive/low tech, kind of a pre-OSX way of thinking where we were once able to pause the entire system simply by holding down a button on your mouse, man OS 9 was bad towards the end.

• Reply 84 of 95
    I've been known to make wiled predictions, myself -- keeps the blood churning through the brain :D
    This seems to be the safest kind of blood-flow generator unless you're the betting kind. Wine is so over-rated! :D
    But, if not here ,,, Where?
    The 'Nix interest by MS is interesting ... as is the fact they got Office running on ARM iOS 'Nix -- and never got it to run on the ARM Surface OS -- whatever abortion that was!
    3 major Tech companies in partnership -- smells like restraint of trade ...

Amazing.. no? Actually, not really. I've always believed it was the fine frameworks that and the engineers at Apple that create them are for the most part the unsung heroes of their success. It was nice to see Apple lauding Chris Lattner and allowing him to present his baby Swift. They should do more of that, and I miss Bob Mansfield getting a ray of spotlight in the past.
    " connotes a joint effort for a common goal (products and/or services, in this case)[/QUOTE]

I didn't choose my choice of words careful enough. And surely my bold prediction should be toned down to just being "in cooperation with and service provider". Actually in the same vein as Apple/IBM now. Apple has from time-to-time offered many companies inside cooperation in developing advanced software for Macs; Adobe comes to mind. I'm just happy that Apple under their new leadership continues to forge beneficial relationships with any and all tech companies that want to work with them... AS LONG AS they use their instincts and experience to never ever make the mistakes of the past and "give away the farm" for short term solutions.
    In the past, Apple and MS have had arrangements and agreements -- but I don't recall them ever working together in a joint effort that I would call a partnership.

Exactly... and I wouldn't go so far as to advise changing that stance.
    That's not to say, that MS couldn't make a separate agreement with Apple or IBM to market each other's complementary products or services ... Then either member of the Apple/IBM partnership could access the MS products and services.

Naw. I think compatibility and just the PR of working towards similar goals in tech is enough. Let everyone decide on their own how to market that... or not.
    It may be just a matter of semantics ... but industry leaders should be watchful that they don't give give the appearance of violating monopoly and retraint of trade laws.
    II am not current on the service offerings of either IBM or MS -- [maybe incorrectly] I assumed that they are in competition with their services.
    True... but restraint of trade can be claimed by Apple opponents even now, in that they purposely (and must) buy and pre-pay (financial might) entire shipments and month's worth of chips, screens, flash, etc... that some have already "claimed" that they can't get the parts timely enough to compete with Apple.

As a primitive and small example with Apple/MS... *if* Apple prepaid for server replication and broadband to stream their next mega event, leaving next to no capacity to a competitor at the prepaid price point... is that not a subtle form of "restraint of trade"?

Just asking, because I do believe Apple at some point not too far off, will have claims of "restraint of trade" more vocally leveled against them. They really are chewing up the market on all fronts.
  • Reply 85 of 95
    I agree with your point about big iPhones. Ive took his eye off the ball with those.

They're too stretched, like Gollum.

Edit: I was making a point about Apple, but the same applies to the iPhones, too. The mind works in mysterious ways.

Yours more than most... :lol:

So you were agreeing with me that the big iPhones didn't come to soon and be underpowered or a "me too" product just to occupy the space, and Jony did it in a timely matter without rushing things? Me be shocked!

As for Gollum... I'm missing the relationship to Apple and that cute little nekked guy coddling, and later searching for "precious".... Oh wait!.... shit... your wave length of "mysterious ways" just "Petered"*** out.

*** "That's not my dog."

You want to talk in "mysterious ways" further? I should let you know I'm a Master Mysterious Monk in the highest of orders... :smokey:
  • Reply 86 of 95

I don't personally make a habit of having fake orgasms with my lunch.

Enjoy yours!

Ah Benji... who's faking? After that thread a few weeks back with personal and national culinary delights (with pictures!)... can't you see that some of us "get off" on food? :lol:
  • Reply 87 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The 'Nix interest by MS is interesting ... as is the fact they got Office running on ARM iOS 'Nix -- and never got it to run on the ARM Surface OS -- whatever abortion that was!

It's called Windows 8 RT and it has had an ARM version of Office since the very beginning of it's release, including Outlook. Except for a few x86 only Visual Basic classes, it's identical in every way to the x86 version. In fact Office for ARM comes pre-installed on the Surface, Surface 2 and Nokia 2520 which I have. It's actually a pretty nice setup, the Nokia 2520, especially when it's paired with the Nokia powered keyboard case, the tablet get's 12 hours on it's own, even though it advertised as only 10, with almost 15 -16 hours when connected to the keyboard. Since it has a full desktop browser, surfing on it is a much better experience than any tablet that uses a mobile browser including the iPad, it even supports Flash, which I still use everyday to watch American TV online and for one of my favorite web apps www.audiotool.com/app. Even though you cannot install any other desktop applications besides Office, the amount of web apps that are available more than makes up for it, especially now that Adobe's Media Suite is available, Photoshop runs flawlessly. The iPad is still a better tablet as it has more apps but the Nokia 2520 is also a wonderful tablet, as it's not only priced extremely well, only 300 dollars, it's fast, has a beautiful 1080p display, LTE, Micro SD slot, USB 3.0, HDMI out, which unlike other tablets you're able to add an additional monitor for multi-display, great for watching a movie while continuing working or surfing and like I said before when paired with the keyboard which is an absolute pleasure to type on you get almost 16 hours of battery. My son has one as well, we got it in a bundle when we bought him his Nokia 930 phone, he likes the Xbox chat as all of his friends are on it, anyway it makes a really good computer for kids, it's virus free, he's able to do all of his homework on it and the amount of educational apps available are actually quite impressive. Not to mention that pairing it with a Xbox 360 controller makes for one heck of a little gaming machine, I personally love playing with the Sega and N64 emulators, especially when it's connected via the HDMI out to a TV. Sometimes I think you guys are just grumpy for the sake of being grumpy, though Microsoft hasn't released a full tablet version of Office for Windows yet, like what they did with the iPad, I don't feel like I'm missing anything as I much prefer the full featured desktop version, it even works quite well with touch interfaces. Office for tablets will be released on Windows before the years end anyway, so I'm not even really sure what your comment of, never got it to run even means. The tablet version was never a priority for Windows as the desktop version works just fine and even offers more features.

• Reply 88 of 95
    Damn hippies, get a job, funny, you know I also play the violin and piano, though their both wired to be recorded.

I knew there was something else that made me think of you besides the hippies... you're a "real musician" as a troll long ago would have said. :D
    Tech makes me happy, besides, women multitask better than men, it's only natural that we would also transfer that ability to the way we use computers.

Fully agree on that quote!
    Doc, you must also think that not being able to run whatever app you want in the background is just a tad bit, I don't know, old/restrictive/low tech, kind of a pre-OSX way of thinking where we were once able to pause the entire system simply by holding down a button on your mouse, man OS 9 was bad towards the end.

Yes... I do agree. But then I take into account this device that I'm trying to do this on is only 4 years old... and the particular one I have in my hands (iPad Air) is a quantum leap already from the first ones available. That realization causes me to ponder what the future holds, and not beat the dice or myself for trying to push it further than it is at the moment, intended to go.

You, we, I... know that this revolution does not end here, or with the iPad Air 2. When the time is right and the tech is there.... I'll be the first to laud it's capabilities... and be bloody freakin' amazed again(!) Even though I know it's coming... I want it now... the rumors up to release will attempt to kill my enjoyment... and the pundits and trolls will try to take away my joy before I ever get it into my hands.

Due to your unfortunate health situation, I can absolutely sympathize with your wishes to get this finished and shipped PRONTO, and "it should have been here yesterday" attitude! I believe I might be the same. As of last year, while not going into retirement any time soon... I decided to step back and enjoy the little things more than I had during my 30's and 40's.... that's all. Talk to me 10 years ago and patience was definitely not something I was remotely aware of.

Anyway... just trying in my silly ways to say I'm thinking of you, hoping for your recovery and freedom of everything that ails you... and like to imagine you laughing at my audacious stupid attempts at humor... :smokey:
  • Reply 89 of 95
    It's called Windows 8 RT...

Your persuasive reviews are getting me to consider looking at one more seriously every day. ;)

Whether I would keep it for myself, doesn't matter. However, I still have certain Office-centric clients that I would love to get moving into the future one way or the other. Sad to say, that everyone seems to be fine with plopping down in front of some 5-10 year old WinBox 7... and pulling out their "desktop compromised" iPads/iPhones for the rest when on the go.
  • Reply 90 of 95
    [@=/u/4486/Relic]@Relic[/@] - nice looking case! I'd give it a try if i were you regardless of whether anyone chimes in a review or not.

Now about the rest of your "wishes" post. You and your family are so technologically fit that I have to place you in the "outlier" category. The things you do... and want to do more of... is just not on an "average" users radar. In fact it is the focused full-screen nature of using an iPad that have caused so many millions to gravitate to the platform.

Multitasking has always been great for people like yourself and many folks here and on assorted tech forums, but you really should observe how the average person uses a PC or even a Mac. It is so primitive*** as to wonder why Microsoft and Apple has had the success they they have had on desktops over the years. And witness: Microsoft is having a very hard time of staying relevant outside of the old enterprise systems the way it is.

I expect iPads to remain the way they are for some time to come, especially with enterprise now getting involved more deeply. In my experience, it has been the 40-60 year old sales people and executives that are the most primitive of users and the most difficult to train. They absolutely love iPads for the reason that you're giving why Apple should integrate more multitasking.

*** My description of "primitive usage": is a 27" monitor where everything including finder windows open to 100% full screen, and then closed (or quit in windows) every time a user moves to doing something else. Really... you don't know how many times within the last couple of years that I've shown people how to "minimize" a program or window, use drag and drop, or even Strg (Cmd) - Tab to cycle through windows or programs. Or how to change from icon view to detailed (list) view and sort columns by date rather than name. Many of these people have been on a desktop computer for no less than 12-15 years(!) and are successful business owners or sales executives in their 50's.
    No doubt some of these features on my wish list might be considered advanced but be able to run more than one program in the background is defiantly something a lot of people need. Just the other day I was playing around with a DJ app that was able to take songs from Spotify and mix them. Great little app I though, I spent a good hour making a Beatles MegaMix, I thought I would listen to it while I program, when I minimized the app the music stop playing, aaahhh, frustrating as all hell. This wasn't a professional app by any measure of the definition however I could defiantly see the need to want to listen to your mix's while your do something else. There are lot's of examples like this, instead I get comments, not talking to you here Doc, what you need is a Mac Book or a Surface, I have both of those, I want an iPad with better multitasking, this doesn't mean I'm a Troll, I bought a new iPad, in fact I'm buying two more because I can't run all my music creation apps at once.

Hey Doc, yea I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the keyboard, it's going to help a lot while I'm still stuck in bed, I can't wait, right now I'm just using my MS Wedge Keyboard.

Hmm ...

I think you may both be right ... and, wrong ...

@ThePixelDoc: Right:
    • the vast majority of consumers, likely, use an iPad as a single-tasked: a full screen (in-your-face) app that allows you to do something, then, maybe share with a server or another in-your-face app -- like editing a picture then emailing it to a friend.
    • 40-60 year old sales people and executives that are the most primitive of users and the most difficult to train

@ThePixelDoc: Wrong:
    • The enterprise apps created by the Apple/IBM partnership will, likely, make extensive use of multi-tasking (background tasks and inter-app communication).
    • The beauty of it is that this will all be transparent to the user -- while the executive (or salesperson) is running that inventory search/status app -- in the background the app is querying the big-data database and passing the results to, say, Numbers to draw the graph shown by the app ...

@Relic: Right:
    • there is a class of user somewhere between [what I call] a techie and [what you call] a primitive user.
    • hell, I want to interactively program using Swift Playgrounds on my iPad -- while listening to a music mix and updating/synching my files or rendering some video I just shot and edited ...
    • forcing a MacBook on this class of user is wrong ... just wrong ... while standing, touring, hiking, shopping, etc. (where there is no table/desk), when in bed or on the couch -- the iPad is a superior device -- not to mention that you don't want to carry two devices (Handoff just doesn't cut it for some use cases)
    • there is also a different class of iPad users -- the Pros -- they are techie in their own fields (doctors, XRay technitions, video, photography, design, artists, CADD, Drafting, graphics ...). But they just want the iPad to just work -- while doing all their techie stuff under the covers.

@Relic: Wrong:
    • Knowing Apple, we ain't never gonna' get what we want from the iPad intended for the consumer ... never ... no way!

Woe is we ... All is lost!

Not so fast! We may get what we want -- just not in the way we expect it.

Consider:
    • what happened to the rumored iPad Pro?
    • isn't it odd to design the A8X with 3 CPU cores; NFC chips -- but no NFC antenna?
    • why is the new iPad's battery smaller?,
    • when are we going to get an iPad with pen [digitizer] input -- that can be used as an auxiliary display to a Mac
    • where's that personal TV?

It occurs to me that the A8X chip in the new iPad was manufactured to a higher spec than what is being delivered in the new iPad -- more and faster CPU cores; More RAM and SSD; usable NFC; longer battery life ...

Maybe Apple targeted chips for the new iPad Pro -- and are using the ones that didn't pass all tests in the new iPad.

Maybe, the chips that pass all the tests will be used in a iPad Pro!

Maybe this iPad Pro will be packaged with some new apps to exploit the new iPad hardware (and OS) capabilities ...

Maybe this new iPad Pro package will deliver high-demand enterprise solutions -- not available anywhere else at any price -- but the capability justifies the cost.

Thinking about this -- it makes sense that the apps (and OS) software would be a natural result of the Apple/IBM partnership.

Further, the first of these Pro Mobile Apps [my term] are due to hit the street in January ...

Will there be an accompanying iPad Pro? In January?

Will we [pro or techie users] be able to buy the iPad Pro (with several options for RAM, SSD, etc.) without the IBM apps?
  • Reply 91 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Your persuasive reviews are getting me to consider looking at one more seriously every day. image

Whether I would keep it for myself, doesn't matter. However, I still have certain Office-centric clients that I would love to get moving into the future one way or the other. Sad to say, that everyone seems to be fine with plopping down in front of some 5-10 year old WinBox 7... and pulling out their "desktop compromised" iPads/iPhones for the rest when on the go.

Oh then you should defiantly think about grabbing a Nokia 2520, their only 300 bucks, though the keyboard is another 120 or so and worth every penny. I really think you'll like it, look I don't post these things because I think people will hate them. I use all kinds of tech and for every tablet I post, I didn't tell you about the 5 others I went through to find that perfect one. With RT, I shortly owned the original Surface and a Asus VivoTab RT, they were both okay but not perfect so I returned them, used them both extensively for 2 weeks. When the Surface 2 came out I was intrigued but ultimately turned out to be too large for a tablet that I wanted to travel with, the Nokia 2520 just checked all of the right box's for me, specifically speed, display and keyboard.  It's still my favorite tablet to surf and type emails and docs on, the iPad is fine for those things but seriously nothing beats a desktop browser and regardless of what people say about Windows 8, I have zero doubt that you will find the whole experience pleasant, especially now with 8.1 fixing all of those little bugs that made 8 feel unfinished. I wish you lived by me because I would honestly buy one for you and if you liked it pay me back, if not just give it back. I did the same thing with another friend who used to go off on my ChromeBox, until I just gave him one, he now has three, one on each TV and a ChromeBook with LTE for the train, though he never paid me back but he did give me my Kindle HDX so it's all good in the hood.

• Reply 92 of 95

It's called Windows 8 RT and it has had an ARM version of Office since the very beginning of it's release, including Outlook. Except for a few x86 only Visual Basic classes, it's identical in every way to the x86 version. In fact Office for ARM comes pre-installed on the Surface,

I read lots of complaints of how difficult Office was to use on the Surface ARM ...

But, isn't that all history? Does MS still offer an ARM-based Surface? I thought Ballmer wrote off $ hundreds of millions before he left!

I may be wrong -- I don't follow MS much these days!
  • Reply 93 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I read lots of complaints of how difficult Offic was to use on the Surface ARM ...

But, isn't that all history? Does MS still offer an ARM-based surface? I thought Ballmer wrote off $ hundreds of millions before he left!

There was some issues with the first Surface but now with the Surface 2 and Nokia 2520 the experience is honestly identical to that of an x86 machine. In fact ironically enough I find Office to be faster on my Nokia 2520 than my Surface 3, though that might be my imagination, they defiantly start up exactly at the same time. Microsoft has recently said that they aren't going to cancel RT and are working on a new Surface 3 RT, who know's though until it's on the shelves. 

• Reply 94 of 95
    I've been known to make wiled predictions, myself -- keeps the blood churning through the brain :D
    This seems to be the safest kind of blood-flow generator unless you're the betting kind. Wine is so over-rated! :D
    But, if not here ,,, Where?
    3 major Tech companies in partnership -- smells like restraint of trade ...

Amazing.. no? Actually, not really. I've always believed it was the fine frameworks that and the engineers at Apple that create them are for the most part the unsung heroes of their success. It was nice to see Apple lauding Chris Lattner and allowing him to present his baby Swift. They should do more of that, and I miss Bob Mansfield getting a ray of spotlight in the past.
    " connotes a joint effort for a common goal (products and/or services, in this case)

I didn't choose my choice of words careful enough. And surely my bold prediction should be toned down to just being "in cooperation with and service provider". Actually in the same vein as Apple/IBM now. Apple has from time-to-time offered many companies inside cooperation in developing advanced software for Macs; Adobe comes to mind. I'm just happy that Apple under their new leadership continues to forge beneficial relationships with any and all tech companies that want to work with them... AS LONG AS they use their instincts and experience to never ever make the mistakes of the past and "give away the farm" for short term solutions.
    In the past, Apple and MS have had arrangements and agreements -- but I don't recall them ever working together in a joint effort that I would call a partnership.

Exactly... and I wouldn't go so far as to advise changing that stance.
    That's not to say, that MS couldn't make a separate agreement with Apple or IBM to market each other's complementary products or services ... Then either member of the Apple/IBM partnership could access the MS products and services.

Naw. I think compatibility and just the PR of working towards similar goals in tech is enough. Let everyone decide on their own how to market that... or not.
    It may be just a matter of semantics ... but industry leaders should be watchful that they don't give give the appearance of violating monopoly and retraint of trade laws.
    II am not current on the service offerings of either IBM or MS -- [maybe incorrectly] I assumed that they are in competition with their services.
    True... but restraint of trade can be claimed by Apple opponents even now, in that they purposely (and must) buy and pre-pay (financial might) entire shipments and month's worth of chips, screens, flash, etc... that some have already "claimed" that they can't get the parts timely enough to compete with Apple.

As a primitive and small example with Apple/MS... *if* Apple prepaid for server replication and broadband to stream their next mega event, leaving next to no capacity to a competitor at the prepaid price point... is that not a subtle form of "restraint of trade"?

Just asking, because I do believe Apple at some point not too far off, will have claims of "restraint of trade" more vocally leveled against them. They really are chewing up the market on all fronts.[/quote]

We're mostly in agreement then ... Except about the wine :D

Hush ... don't tell anyone about Chris Lattner.
  • Reply 95 of 95
    I read lots of complaints of how difficult Offic was to use on the Surface ARM ...

But, isn't that all history? Does MS still offer an ARM-based surface? I thought Ballmer wrote off $ hundreds of millions before he left!

There was some issues with the first Surface but now with the Surface 2 and Nokia 2520 the experience is honestly identical to that of an x86 machine. In fact ironically enough I find Office to be faster on my Nokia 2520 than my Surface 3, though that might be my imagination, they defiantly start up exactly at the same time. Microsoft has recently said that they aren't going to cancel RT and are working on a new Surface 3 RT, who know's though until it's on the shelves. 

I stand corrected (and much better informed).

VB aside, how does Office on the later ARM offerings compare with Office on the iPad.

There was a time when we had Office on all our Macs -- but I cut the cord about 2 1/2 years ago -- we are MS free!

I was most concerned that my grandkids in HS and Jr College would be forced to use Office -- but that's not the case and Pages/Numbers/Keynote meet all their (and our) needs.