AppleInsider 2.0 for iPhone and iPad now available as free downloads from Apple's App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65

Somewhat to the discredit of the news site to cover its own app as if it were related news.

• Reply 22 of 65
    Somewhat to the discredit of the news site to cover its own app as if it were related news.

I thought the "news" articles about a promotion deal at MacMall for AI readers was accomplishing that already! ;)
  • Reply 23 of 65
    The designers/developers of this and the previous app are pretty poor at their job.

The minimum requirements for this app should include landscape mode.
    And when I choose to view comments it should show me only the comments not load the entire web page in a webview.

The app is embarassingly bad really and given that it just loads web pages offers nothing of value/use to me beyond viewing the website in safari.

If AI made a good native app that is not full of webviews then I would buy it.
  • Reply 24 of 65

Now, now... Anyone running Ai would unabashedly promote their reader app, even you... Ai's obviously put a lot of effort into this app. Despite its flaws, it's to Ai's credit that they've produced it. Being a reader app would actually be useful news to Ai readers, "discredit" seems a little over the top ...
  • Reply 25 of 65

Dude, you are so right!  I'd promote the heck out of my newsreader app!  I did say "somewhat", tho ;-).  I don't like the use of apps to read news, though.  Because otherwise you have to have a different app for every single news source?  DogCowabunga says Woof!

• Reply 26 of 65

I am trying to figure out why a site that reports the latest Apple news does not support natively the latest Apple devices. There is really no excuse for not supporting the native resolution of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Absolutely no excuse!!! 

• Reply 27 of 65
    I like the new duel compatible AI, but how do you activate your AI subscription on your iPhone when you already have a subscription on your iPad? I don't see a link anywhere to sign in for existing subscribers and I would love to see the iADs disappear. Which is the main reason for subscribing in the first place.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedster View Post

I like the new duel compatible AI, but how do you activate your AI subscription on your iPhone when you already have a subscription on your iPad? I don't see a link anywhere to sign in for existing subscribers and I would love to see the iADs disappear. Which is the main reason for subscribing in the first place.

It will automatically sync within a few minutes over iCloud. You must be logged into the same iCloud account on both devices. Restarting the app may help speed it up, but the slight delay is one-time only and not in our control.

K

• Reply 29 of 65
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMacGuy View Post

I am trying to figure out why a site that reports the latest Apple news does not support natively the latest Apple devices. There is really no excuse for not supporting the native resolution of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Absolutely no excuse!!! 

In a perfect world, sure. But this application was already on its way to the App Store submission process when the 6 was being introduced. The process of releasing an app is not instantaneous and this application has been in development for many, many months. It would not have been appropriate to develop an app based on rumor.

Personally, I think it looks great on my iPhone 6.

K

• Reply 30 of 65
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Where's the Android app for this?

I'm sure there's a "Troll Apple fan sites" app in the Play store.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    So as someone who buys and uses Apple products but also uses other products can't ask for something to use on an android so I can keep up with Apple news that I enjoy? Gotcha. And you wonder why there is a stigma against Apple snobs.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

In a perfect world, sure. But this application was already on its way to the App Store submission process when the 6 was being introduced. The process of releasing an app is not instantaneous and this application has been in development for many, many months. It would not have been appropriate to develop an app based on rumor.

Personally, I think it looks great on my iPhone 6.

if you're if you're not using adaptive layout, you're coding it wrong.

if your app is zoomed in on on a 6 in legacy mode and you think it looks great, you're looking at it wrong.

• Reply 33 of 65
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Where's the Android app for this?

why would there be? the tried and true app dev model is "iOS first, Android later if ever". the data seems to suggest iOS users spend more and spend more often. and ad clicks are better on iOS than Android.

so why would a niche apple fan site waste its limited dev resources on a platform with few paying users?

• Reply 34 of 65
    Awesome update. Nicely done.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    H
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Ok, I have to be logged into iCloud on both my iPhone and iPad for it to automatically sync my Appleinsider subscription, good to know. Thank you for the information Kasper. And I for one think $8.99 for a whole year is a bargain, especially now being iAd free on both my iPhone and iPad. Good job!
  • Reply 37 of 65

$8.99 for 1 year?? 1 full year?!! Are you kidding me?!!

Done!

Whatever it takes to be AD google-FREE.

As for new version, it looks and performs much better than 1st one. Keep up the good work folks, and MUCH appreciated. :smokey: 

• Reply 38 of 65
    It would be nice to see a dark mode for night time reading and an actuall comments section instead of a link to the website. Overall a nice redesign!
  • Reply 39 of 65
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

I don't use AI app, I use Pulse which has AI and other sites integrated, better experiences than stand-alone app.

• Reply 40 of 65

I can't see the point of this app.

I like the UI for the articles and the general layout, but the comments are still hopeless. Tiny font, no ability to write comments, reply or thumbs up. There's actually less functionality than the mobile version on Safari, never mind the desktop version.

I would happily pay for an AI app that gave at least the same funcionality as the mobile Safari version, and can't understand why the app is so handicapped as to be redundant. It seems to me that they are throwing money away.