First-week OS X Yosemite adoption rate outpaces Mavericks, now at 12.8%

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    I wonder if 10.11 will be a streamlining OS like Snow Leopard was. They’re slipping a bit on action times.

Honestly, there isn't a ton that I see needs to be added to iOS, so they should do an SL release there. OS X needs a new file system pretty badly, from what I've heard, but I don't know if Apple has any plans on that front.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Others have agreed that the red, now yellow/orange barf, and green buttons are too small and the pastel colors are annoying.  The green button used to resize a window based on contents, now goes full screen mode.  Now you have to click and drag the window to adjust the size, rather than the one-click of the green button.  The all-white and completely flat look is irritating.  The new white text for desktop items completely washes out if you have a background with light or white colors in it.

The fonts in iTunes 12 have become smaller, even when large text is selected in preferences, making it harder to read.  The new Get Info box in iTunes 12 is so plain it is not clear where the text fields are, or what you can modify.  Pressing Return no longer closes the Get Info box if you are in a text field.  You now have to use the mouse to click OK, or tab to a magical field that will let the Return button close the window (even though the OK button is highlighted in blue to indicate that Return will close the window).  The iTunes Store homepage is gone, so now it is limited to only the type of media you are currently browsing in iTunes.  It takes multiple clicks to find what you are searching for.

The new Finder icon in the dock looks like it was drawn by a 1st grader.  The sidebar transparency can get annoying with changing colors, and turning it off in System Preferences makes it much too white to be pleasant on the eyes.  The bright blue folder color seems out of place with all the other colors which are all dull in appearance.  The new Spotlight search window is missing a close box.  It is not obvious how to close the window  if you decide you do not need to do a search.  How many would know to click the Spotlight icon in the menu bar again to hide the window?  When your workflow involves moving documents between multiple folders to begin and complete your work, the requirement to press the Command key to open a folder in a new window is not efficient (thanks Mavericks).  Would be nice to have the preference restored as it was in Mountain Lion and earlier.  You have the option to hide all the tags in the Finder windows if you choose not to use the feature, but you don't have the option to double-click a folder to open in a new window, like all computers had been for 30 years.  Odd that Apple forces you to work one way, but gives the option to hide or show a feature in other ways.

The Apple Maps app is still a baby app.  It gives you a warning about driving safely when you enter directions...while on a desktop computer, not driving.  It does not offer alternative routes.  The traffic display of tiny red dots are practically invisible.  

The FaceTime app does not allow access to your custom ringtones in iTunes.  So your iPhone will ring with your custom tone, but the Mac will ring with an annoying Apple tone.  The tones are stored here: Macintosh HD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources.  Dropping in a custom tone in the Ringtones folder will not allow FaceTime to access the file.  Changing ownership to System and Wheel did not work either.

Is Yosemite better than Mavericks?  Yes.  Mail works, unlike Mavericks.  Mavericks did not add any compelling features that were worth upgrading to.  Mavericks was like Lion, most people skipped Lion and installed Mountain Lion, which fixed a lot of Lion's problems.  Yosemite offers far more compelling features at the expense of an all-white UI with poor color choices.  The UI across the entire OS is inconsistent in many ways.  Getting rid of the 3D dock was about the only decent change.  I like Yosemite better than Mavericks (for the short time I used Mavericks, and went back to Mountain Lion for better software compatibility and UI features), but not really a fan of the all-white UI.

You can use option green button to resize like you used to, or double click the window. Sadly, double click to minimise is gone, maybe there should be an option about that, but it's miles better than the right side full size button. I have turned the transparency off, and I too find that it can get too white with the white dock. I disagree about the folder colour, they look nice and fresh and match the palette of iWork, notes, etc. In any case you can change them from /library/coreservices/coretypes/contents/resources. Haven't tried it, but I am quite sure you can. 

• Reply 63 of 72
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

OS X needs a new file system pretty badly, from what I've heard, but I don't know if Apple has any plans on that front.

What’s wrong with HFS+?

Specifically in regard to ZFS being dead and no alternatives existing that are any better.

• Reply 64 of 72
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

FWIW, just updated Flash and Safari seems quicker. 

• Reply 65 of 72
    mj web wrote: »

I noticed that Safari seems snappier in Yosemite.

I love Yosemite. I think a maintenance release would be good next year. There's behaviour around full-screen apps that could do with optimising; also transitions between desktops, Finder windows and app management.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

What, is there ANOTHER update after 15.0?

• Reply 67 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The bright blue folder color seems out of place with all the other colors which are all dull in appearance. 

Here you go if you want them changed:

Although I 'd give it some time to grow on you, they are very pretty and stand out well to get your work done. I addition any customisation with an icon on them make that tone of blue even more suited.

http://yukiyamashina.github.io/blog/2014/10/19/how-to-change-the-color-of-default-folder-icons-in-OS-X-Yosemite/

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/150935/how-to-replace-yosemite-icons-with-those-from-mavericks

(same, references the above)

• Reply 68 of 72
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Yosemite has been okay but it has a few extremely annoying bugs. First and foremost is iTunes. No matter what Apple does to put lipstick on the iTunes pig it's still a pig. Each release they move a few things around or trim out something they don't think anyone will notice (like the sidebar) but it never gets more reliable or gets easier to use. The latest bug is that it loses connections to devices and no longer trusts them. Sometimes you'll get a trust prompt on the device and sometimes the device and Mac will start trusting each other again but usually they won't and you have to do a full restart.

I actually don't understand everyone's opposition to iTunes. Apart from The removal of the sidebar (which was momentarily confusing) I think the interface has improved a little at a time. I do wish the iOS version was easier to use - for instance a long press on a song should give contextual options like "add to playlist". On the go playlist management is a million times more awkward than it needs to be. I agreed that they really need to spin other content out of iTunes through.

• Reply 69 of 72
    Installed on early '08 Mac Pro and '08 MBP - runs smooth as butter and actually sped things up in a few areas. Download and installation process went fine for me.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

To do so would be pointless and a waste of time. Apple have dropped the ball and that's all I wish to say on the matter.

Not at all persuasive.

• Reply 71 of 72

loving dark mode. 

The only thing I 'd like from Yosemite is the ability to have one or two shades of a darker menu bar when not in dark mode and/or a dark dock to go along with it.