First-week OS X Yosemite adoption rate outpaces Mavericks, now at 12.8%

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2014
According to recently published statistics, Apple's latest OS X Yosemite release is seeing slightly better take up rates than last year's OS X Mavericks launch, with current North American distribution pegged at 12.8 percent as of Wednesday.

The results, provided by the research arm of ad network Chitika, found OS X Yosemite accounted for more than one percent of all North American Web traffic generated by OS X users on launch day. This is more than double first-day adoption rates set by Apple's prior OS X Mavericks and OS X Mountain Lion releases.

Chitika points out that the slightly higher uptake could be a result of higher Mac sales over the past year. Last week, Apple announced it sold 5.5 million Macs over the three months ending in September, an all-time record. The performance smashed Apple's previous record set in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2011, when the company sold 4.9 million Mac computers.

As for the disparity in Web traffic compared to OS X Mountain Lion, the research firm notes the two-year-old operating system was a $19.99 upgrade from OS X Lion, potentially prompting slower initial uptake. Since Mavericks, Apple has made OS X updates free to download from the Mac App Store.

Apple released OS X Yosemite on Oct. 16 with a new "flat" aesthetic and support for so-called "Continuity" features that integrate tightly with iOS 8. For example, users can now place and receive phone calls, send and receive SMS texts and create instant hotspots with a connected iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    chudqchudq Posts: 43member
    I started to update my iMac 27 and MBA 13 on Oct 17, with clean install and TM migration. However, the migrated account is just too slow. I have visited genius bar several times, and phone Apple Care support 4 times. I guess I spent their time more than I paid for the care.

I learned so much about the update, migration and manual copy over from TM to a new account. Movies, pictures and documents could be done by drag-drop, however, all mails, contacts, calendar, dock settings, app settings (such as terminal schema) are not easy to be migrated by manual way. Anyway, eventually, they cannot resolve the issue and recommended me to roll back to Mavericks OS.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I think I will wait a few more weeks and maybe even until .1 or .2 Everything is working well for me and nothing I can't live without. I also need to do some massive cleaning and moving things around before I update. I want to do a clean install and move things over manually and carefully to get rid of some cruft that has undoubtedly collected in my system folders.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Adoption rate might be faster if people were able to download it:

http://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/slow-and-unreliable-downloads-from-Apple-Content-Distribution/m-p/47829

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6610987?start=30&tstart=0
    "Yosemite download is insanely slow (nothing wrong with my network)"

I'm one of those people who are getting only 100Kb downloads. Yes Kb.

For whatever reason, even if I override the download location to another CDN point, still only 100Kb/sec. Yet If I grab the complete URL it wants from wireshark and download it from a machine I have in the US, oh look 2 minute download.

In the case of Telus, they say the problem isn't on their side.
  • Reply 4 of 72
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Put it on my home machine, early 2011 MBP, nice and easy and no issues since.

• Reply 5 of 72
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

http://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/slow-and-unreliable-downloads-from-Apple-Content-Distribution/m-p/47829

For whatever reason, even if I override the download location to another CDN point, still only 100Kb/sec. Yet If I grab the complete URL it wants from wireshark and download it from a machine I have in the US, oh look 2 minute download.

Of course it's on their side. I've downloaded Yosemite in multiple locations, times, and on multiple networks and providers. It has been insanely fast each and every time, usually saturating the connection. I very much doubt these niche cases are having an effect on adoption. 

• Reply 6 of 72
    Please bear in mind the methodology of Chitika and that it is an ad network. They provide a methodology page with an explanation. One sample "usually" is taken out of 300.000 page impressions.

I guess you guys from AI can provide us with a more robust data sample yourself?
  • Reply 7 of 72
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    I installed Yosemite over top of an existing Mavs on a Mac mini 3,1
    This machine is not mission critical. All good - no issues.
    The other machines will be getting a clean install.
  • Reply 8 of 72
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Of course it's on their side. I've downloaded Yosemite in multiple locations, times, and on multiple networks and providers. It has been insanely fast each and every time, usually saturating the connection. I very much doubt these niche cases are having an effect on adoption. 

At any rate you'd think that they would have solved the problem by now, but nope. Telus support is like "uh use a VPN"
  • Reply 9 of 72
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    misa wrote: »

I'm willing to bet money it is Telus, because A) I've worked with them in the past, and they are atrocious for service quality, and B) the Yosemite download is likely coming from Apple's new CDN (content delivery network), and not like in the last where it was via Akamai, Microsoft, or others, that likely have peering agreements in place with the ISP's (Telus) to allow faster performance (internet fast lanes). Apple probably hasn't paid their "contribution" to Telus, so Telus is throttling the new Apple CDN.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

After the first download, I immediately made a bootable OSX USB.  I have multiple macs here at home and at the office and it just made more sense to keep an offline copy.  It really speeds things up.  I've been doing this for the past few OSX releases.  It just takes too long to download, especially in the beginning when we all know a gazillion people are trying to download it as well.

• Reply 11 of 72
    Mountain Lion was also likely slower because it orphaned a lot of older 64-bit dirty Macs. There haven't been any machines cut off since then.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    "dirty Macs" ?
  • Reply 13 of 72
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    I didn't try to get it the first day, I waited until about 4am local time the night after and it downloaded in about 30 minutes. Installation took a little while, but by dawn it was up and running. I haven't seen any issues, though a few of my menubar programs need to update their "dark mode" icons. I haven't tested everything, but all my mission-critical stuff works fine.

I am *totally in love* with the Handoff/Continuity features. I find the look very pleasant (again, as with iOS 7 and 8, maybe more white space that is strictly needed), and Mail and Safari are both MUCH improved. Not sure about iTunes 12, but it's perfectly functional (needs some refinement on the look IMHO).
  • Reply 14 of 72
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Yose downloaded and installed perfectly on my 2010 MBP 15".  I haven't seen anything untoward yet. I like the new look for the most part.  The color saturation is a little high on the various icons and window control buttons.  And yes, the new system font is not my favorite - my older eyes don't like it much.  I've increased the font size a lot so I can read things without my glasses.

My only real issue started with the last Mavericks update and has continued into Yosemite.  After installing the Mavericks update my Etrade Java app that I use for stock market monitoring would not launch.  It says it's unable to load a resource.  Doesn't matter from which browser I attempt to launch.  The problem has persisted into Yosemite.  I haven't installed Java 8 because the app is not yet running on that version.  Guess I'll be calling Etrade next week.

• Reply 15 of 72
    undefined
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Installed over Mavericks on MacBook Pro early-2011, working great albeit with a few minor glitches here and there. Love the interface and features are great!
  • Reply 17 of 72
    Quote:

How's been your email with Telus? Since I've updated my 27" 2011 imac everything's been great except Mail went down. Do a search and you'll find more than a few people have had issues. I've managed the work-a-round some have said to do but who knows how long it'll last. Here's one link...

https://timthetechguy.wordpress.com/2014/10/17/yosemite-telus-email-issues-workaround/

Btw, before I install I made a usb bootdisk.

• Reply 18 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

"dirty Macs" ?

You just made me think of MODE32...

• Reply 19 of 72
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    My Mac had room for the update. My phones & pads do not.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    cornchip wrote: »
    My Mac had room for the update. My phones & pads do not.

Update using iTunes on a computer for your phones and ipads