CVS joins Rite Aid in blocking Apple Pay in "CurrentC" plan to collect more customer data

Comments

• Reply 301 of 502
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    ibeam wrote: »
    Sure it *CAN* be done, however I collect all my paperwork all year long and hand deliver it to my accountant who has an office right around the corner. Nothing could be more hassle free.
    Ha ha ha ha ha! So... Let me get this right... Everybody should do their part to protect the environment... Unless of course it's more convenient to do something else? Does that about sum it up???
    I can't believe the idiocy it must take to read something like what you've been writing and then still go ahead and press the submit button! You must not proofread this drivel.
  • Reply 302 of 502
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    chia wrote: »
    As human beings every single one of us consumes, consumes, consumes:
    oxygen, water, food.

The day we stop is the day we're dead.

Therefore it's our fundamental nature to consume.
    You can't buy oxygen at Cvs, The oxygen you consume while there you do not pay for. You can buy bottled water and junk food but that is probably not the best choice. Of course you know that I meant consuming to feed the addiction. When we buy things we really don't need but just want. Like a new iPhone to replace a perfectly good iPhone just to get ApplePay so we can bitch when CVS or ? Does not allow us to use it. How dare they.
  • Reply 303 of 502

I'll just keep using cash with any retailer that refuses to drag their systems out of the Stone Age.

• Reply 304 of 502
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tenly wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha ha! So... Let me get this right... Everybody should do their part to protect the environment... Unless of course it's more convenient to do something else? Does that about sum it up???
    I can't believe the idiocy it must take to read something like what you've been writing and then still go ahead and press the submit button! You must not proofread this drivel.

That really should be two separate statements:
    • Everyone should do their part to protect the environment.
    • Most won't do their part to protect the environment unless the cost-benefit works out in their favour.

For the second statement, that could be making things either or it could be adding enforceable penalties that prevent people from making choices that have a negative effect on the environment despite the more myopic individuals being unable to see how their littering, dumping of hazardous chemicals down drains, etc. lead to a longterm issue. Unfortunately education seems to be something most people don't take to well, especially if they've spent most of their lives not having to consider anyone or anything but themselves or a small social unit, like a family, peer group, or town.
  • Reply 305 of 502
    I'll just keep using cash with any retailer that refuses to drag their systems out of the Stone Age.

They'd make less profit with a physical card, although I suggest the action that is most convenient for the consumer.
  • Reply 306 of 502
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

As human beings every single one of us consumes, consumes, consumes:

oxygen, water, food.

The day we stop is the day we're dead.

Therefore it's our fundamental nature to consume....

• Reply 307 of 502
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You're doing exactly what they want you to do...

• Reply 308 of 502
    kent909 wrote: »
    243 comments and counting. What better evidence of the primary driver of human existance than a topic that is about our desire and pursuit of aquiring more and more stuff and how we seek to make it faster and easier. Buy buy buy, consume consume consume. A society of coneheads.

Just go waldenpond yourself, and please leave us heathens to consume consume consume. :smokey:
  • Reply 309 of 502

Apple insider needs to do more research before they make an article that is being used to fan the fanboy fire. While I am sure these companies want to collect more information, that is not the complete story. There is also the little things of credit card fees that these merchants don't want to pay anymore.  You see, Apple Pay still is a credit card transaction which means merchants will stay have to pay those banking fees on each transaction.  On the other hand CurrentC is a direct withdrawal from the banking account so there are no banking fees.  Maybe if Apple wanted to pay all the merchant fees then the merchant will push their standard.  As it currently stands Apple would be the only beneficiary of Apple pay since it would more than likely become a Monopoly while the merchants would have to eat the fees.  Once CurrentC roles out, and if it works, I predict more retailers jumping ship so that they can saving hundreds if not millions in credit card transaction fees that are paid to the banks.

Source: http://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2014/10/26/1029604_drugstores-cvs-and-rite-aid-ditch-apple-pay-as-payment-option.html

EDIT:  Example, Target and their Red card.  That's attached to your bank account and they give 5% off of the purchase when used.  They give that cash back as a incentive for using the card because each of those transactions on that card helps target avoid the bank fee.

• Reply 310 of 502
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Every card I added that had any sort of authentication used my info stored with my bank, not with Apple, for verification. As far as I can tell and as I understand it, your Apple ID isn't used directly for any of the setup. You should also be able to add someone else's card to your Passbook, which could be an issue, although easily remedied.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait....
    Seriously - how would that work? Will the system allow you to add a credit card that is not your own?

Going one step further - if my girlfriend had a fingerprint registered on my phone, and then she made off with my phone to the mall - could she validate Apple Pay charges? Or does Apple Pay make you/allow you to specifically assign 1 of the stored prints? I'm guessing any registered print would do the trick, but hadn't thought through these particular situations until just now...
  • Reply 311 of 502
    In other news ...

In a joint press announcement, Walmart, BestBuy, CVS, RiteAid and other members of the CurrentC mobile payment consortium:

Due to the overwhelming requests to use Apple Pay ... we have decided to [B][I] close our doors to all customers [/I][/B] until CurrentC is available, some time in 2015. While this may have a minor impact on earnings through the holiday season -- we are looking forward to a robust Cinco De Mayo in 2015 ... or, maybe Halloween 2015 ...
  • Reply 312 of 502
    tenly wrote: »
    Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait....
    Seriously - how would that work? Will the system allow you to add a credit card that is not your own?

What do you mean, how would that work? It works the same way that you would by swiping a business-issued card, a significant other's card, a friend's card, or a parent's card.

The only way this is different is if your bank included an additional authentication method that would send a PIN to your email, phone as an SMS, or calling an 800 number that will require you to answer some secret question, otherwise you just input the card number, name, exp. date, and CVV.

Remember, Apple isn't part of the transaction process so they don't get connected from your bank when you setup a card or make a purchase so they don't your Apple ID.
  • Reply 313 of 502
    gerbinto wrote: »
    Apple insider needs to do more research before they make an article that is being used to fan the fanboy fire. While I am sure these companies want to collect more information, that is not the complete story. There is also the little things of credit card fees that these merchants don't want to pay anymore.  You see, Apple Pay still is a credit card transaction which means merchants will stay have to pay those banking fees on each transaction.  On the other hand CurrentC is a direct withdrawal from the banking account so there are no banking fees.  Maybe if Apple wanted to pay all the merchant fees then the merchant will push their standard.  As it currently stands Apple would be the only beneficiary of Apple pay since it would more than likely become a Monopoly while the merchants would have to eat the fees.  Once CurrentC roles out, and if it works, I predict more retailers jumping ship so that they can saving hundreds if not millions in credit card transaction fees that are paid to the banks.

Source: http://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2014/10/26/1029604_drugstores-cvs-and-rite-aid-ditch-apple-pay-as-payment-option.html

EDIT:  Example, Target and their Red card.  That's attached to your bank account and they give 5% off of the purchase when used.  They give that cash back as a incentive for using the card because each of those transactions on that card helps target avoid the bank fee.

We, the people, don't care.

Retailers will not reduce the prices of their goods and services by a similar amount; therefore, I have no incentive to use their service beyond any promotions.

We, the people, do care about ease of use, security and privacy.
  • Reply 314 of 502
    wigby wrote: »

Try reading the comments. Many here are proposing that Apple block any retailers that do not support Apple Pay by blocking their apps.

wigby wrote: »

Everyone here is complaining about CVS and Rite Aid removing the choice of Apple Pay for customers as being evil or greedy or stupid. So isn't Apple blocking that app from their devices the same thing as removing a choice for an Apple customer that might want to use CurrenC? It's Apple's right to do so just like it's CVS's right but don't you think you're all being total hypocrites?

No sane person wants to use this app and service.
  • Reply 315 of 502
    gerbinto wrote: »

That's the cost of doing business. If a restaurant says that they'll no longer provide clean plates because paying a dishwasher is too expensive, but that customers must wash them (and can't bring their own) I think most people would be justifiably upset.
    You can't buy oxygen at Cvs, The oxygen you consume while there you do not pay for. You can buy bottled water and junk food but that is probably not the best choice. Of course you know that I meant consuming to feed the addiction. When we buy things we really don't need but just want. Like a new iPhone to replace a perfectly good iPhone just to get ApplePay so we can bitch when CVS or ? Does not allow us to use it. How dare they.

Well, nitrogen more than oxygen, but I suppose being accurate is so passé these days.

And how dare people want nice things, right? They should just live in trees and eat bugs, and dance to Gaia.
  • Reply 316 of 502
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

No sane person wants to use this app and service.

You mean the apps like the Target app created to use Apple Pay? The same one that Apple promotes? Yeah, Target is also committed to using CurrenC too. I'm an Apple fan too but don't be so blind as to how these things work. Apple needs to play ball with these retailers no matter how unreasonable they act. If Apple starts blocking everything they don't like, you're going to see a much larger backlash against Apple than against any retailer. Remember, it's much easier to change phones from Apple to Android than it is to change where you live and what store you must buy things from for some people.

• Reply 317 of 502
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The funny thing is that most of the companies involved in MCX are failing badly. Sears, Olive Garden, Best Buy...it's like they don't want to make money.

And I'll certainly take action to avoid retailers that block it. Not supporting it is one thing, actively fighting it is another.

Companies like Gap Inc are also partners. And I might be willing to use the app for them cause I have a Gap credit card. But not if I still have to attach a checking account number (apparently they don't work with the major credit card companies). 

• Reply 318 of 502
    243 comments and counting. What better evidence of the primary driver of human existance than a topic that is about our desire and pursuit of aquiring more and more stuff and how we seek to make it faster and easier. Buy buy buy, consume consume consume. A society of coneheads.

Just go waldenpond yourself, and please leave us heathens to consume consume consume. :smokey:

"Waldenpond" ... Is that a new verb?
  • Reply 319 of 502
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Exactly. ?Pay has secured the lowest possible fees due to the virtual elimination of fraud. Our company accepts all credit cards from around the world through our website. We have customers in China, Korea, India, even Iran and Russia, paying with all sorts of credit cards but the fees are enormous because of no card present and from a foreign bank. Something like 8-9% in some cases.

As I understand it, because of how Apple Pay is set it it is considered 'card present' at least in the US. We'll see if that is also true for other countries when they launch

• Reply 320 of 502
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member

You kind of have point, but 1 i sold my perfectly good iphone to get the 6 and 2 is people like us that helps technologies advance. If we dint buy the new stuff be cause the old is still good than we would probably not be having this arguement on this forum. And would still have my flip phone without internet, gps, music, and all that! Plus with iphone you can pretty much upgrade for free when you sell your old iphone.