CVS joins Rite Aid in blocking Apple Pay in "CurrentC" plan to collect more customer data

Comments

• Reply 261 of 502
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Well, yes and no. But today, mostly no. Not because of the "no PIN" part but because the cards we're using today don't have chips. So all the info is stored unencrypted and unprotected in the magnetic stripe. And today's PayPass/paywave cards have the same unprotected info available through NFC/RFID to anyone with a reader. That is why I do not use them - the info can be read at a distance of about three feet and then written onto a mag-stripe card, and used in a store (no $20 limit since the card is swiped). Oops.

I received my chipped Visa card from Wells Fargo a few weeks ago. All US credit cards have to change to chipped versions by October 2015, which is more secure than anything CurrentC could ever dream of. It also follows the standard employed by the rest of the world. I am wondering whether banks will block CurrentC users forcing a major change in the implementation of this stupid and time-consuming method.

Check out http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/card-technology/chip-card-faq.jsp, http://www.mastercard.us/mchip-emv.html and https://www209.americanexpress.com/merchant/services/en_US/payment-EMV?intlink=US:Amex:NewSiteSearch:RecomLink2 The major credit card vendors are already moving to a more secure credit card yet crazy businesses want to mess things up. Go figure when Walmart and Best Buy are behind it. 

• Reply 262 of 502
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    marks47 wrote: »

That's not a CVS issue, that's all for-profit companies wanting the correct amount for the purchase coupled with antisocial douchebags that probably also aren't intelligent enough to even begin to think what is the right thing to do in that situation.
  • Reply 263 of 502
    243 comments and counting. What better evidence of the primary driver of human existance than a topic that is about our desire and pursuit of aquiring more and more stuff and how we seek to make it faster and easier. Buy buy buy, consume consume consume. A society of coneheads.
  • Reply 264 of 502
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

It blows my mind just how mainstream data collection has become. Back in 2002 we used to call that "spyware" and run spybot search and destroy for it. Large corps have figured out a way to implement spyware without the ability to actually remove it.

...because it's their entire product.

• Reply 265 of 502
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

243 comments and counting. What better evidence of the primary driver of human existance than a topic that is about our desire and pursuit of aquiring more and more stuff and how we seek to make it faster and easier. Buy buy buy, consume consume consume. A society of coneheads.

deep and poignant.

• Reply 266 of 502
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post

This is exactly the sort of corporate backbiting that has prevented widespread adoption of electronic payment systems in the past.

Very well. I will never use CurrentC and will try to avoid any other system that tracks my personal information.

Its a tall order in this day and age.  Apple does collect the same aggregate information on its users that Google and the likes do, and uses this to drive its advertisers.  Try disabling your 'ID for advertisers' and let me know how that works out for you on your iPhone.

In Google's case, it is *possible* to stay anonymous with Google only have an anonymous tracking ability, but they do make it virtually impossible.  In most cases they eventually get your phone number after which they can link everything to you, even after you go through the 'feel good' measure of resetting your id.  Of course Google knows your habits, but their whole business model relies on keeping this anonymous to advertisers.  If they actually *sold* your information to advertisers, advertisers wouldn't need to use google's ads.  Google will not sell a tennis ball manufacturer a list of names that John Q Public plays tennis.  Instead the manufacturer has to pay Google to place ads.  Google does know who plays tennis, when they play tennis, the last time they bought a racket, the last time they bought tennis balls, where they like to eat most often after playing tennis etc etc so they can place those ads on target like no one else.

Apple's Id is very similar, but there isn't even the remote possibility of opting out.  Apple knows who you are and what you do, but advertisers can only access that anonymously.  For the few Apple users that are aware of it and can find the obscure spot Apple gives them the ability to 'limit' ad tracking (you can't turn it off, but setting it to 'limited' no longer gives access to location tracking).  I believe Apple users can reset their Id for advertisers, but the tracking then just restarts from that point forward.  If you are a truly paranoid person you can reset it after every time you use your phone or travel anywhere.

To avoid tracking in this day and age, for better or worse, you pretty much have to forego all technology and go live in a cave.

• Reply 267 of 502

You would think Google, Inc. and MCX would be united by their love of tracking customers like cattle, for marketing purposes.

Google can't sell their products if the Merchants already have the same products customers.
  • Reply 268 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chick View Post

Walgreens here I come. I wonder how many people will take action to avoid retailers who block Apple pay.

Yeah I would agree with you, but I just found out Walgreens gives millions to the Republican party so...I think I'll stick with CVS and Duane Reade even after this and hope they come around and see the light.

• Reply 269 of 502
    frankie wrote: »
    Yeah I would agree with you, but I just found out Walgreens gives millions to the Republican party so...

…upon hearing that [@]Apple ][[/@] just invested in the company. :p :D 8-)
  • Reply 270 of 502
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Yeah I would agree with you, but I just found out Walgreens gives millions to the Republican party so...I think I'll stick with CVS and Duane Reade even after this and hope they come around and see the light.

So you boycott all businesses that aren't rabid liberals?

• Reply 271 of 502
    Lol i won't be shopping at cvs or rite aid anymore lol
  • Reply 272 of 502
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

…upon hearing that @Apple ][ just invested in the company.

I have stated numerous times before that I'm not a republican.

Though I'm definitely not a democrat either.

There are plenty of clowns and clueless people on both sides, though more are found towards the left.

• Reply 273 of 502
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That's not a CVS issue, that's all for-profit companies wanting the correct amount for the purchase coupled with antisocial douchebags that probably also aren't intelligent enough to even begin to think what is the right thing to do in that situation.

I disagree.

CVS/pharmacy does have an issue if their corporate guidelines are so strictly enforced that a loss of less than $2 is too much to pay to gain a lifelong customer.
  • Reply 274 of 502
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I have stated numerous times before that I'm not a republican.
    Though I'm definitely not a democrat either.

There are plenty of clowns and clueless people on both sides, though more are found towards the left.

As a percentage of their group I would guess the right has the advantage.
  • Reply 275 of 502
    I disagree.

CVS/pharmacy does have an issue if their corporate guidelines are so strictly enforced that a loss of less than $2 is too much to pay to gain a lifelong customer.

I'd love to see something that backs up this guideline or at least something where other pharmacies have a stated policy that is less-than-strict on acquiring sufficient funds for purchases.
  • Reply 276 of 502
    kent909 wrote: »

You didn't read the thread that closely did you? You'd see that probably 85 posts were contrarian drivel about killing trees or being too lazy to scan receipts, all of which is Apple's fault.
  • Reply 277 of 502
    apple ][ wrote: »
    So you boycott all businesses that aren't rabid liberals?

What is a "rabid liberal?"
  • Reply 278 of 502
    ohh so let me get this straight. You stop the progression of secure transactions because you can't sell my data.

Apple should remove their apps from the App Store on the premis that, they (Apple) does not support the selling of customer data.

Will definitely be avoiding all of these stores.

While Apple (and, likely, Google) could remove the CurrentC app form there stores ...

There may be a better way:

Tim Cook should state that, as a convenience to their customers, Apple will support all forms of mobile payment apps for merchants as long as they meet with the customers' [not Apple's] security and privacy needs ...

And, Tim should call on all merchants to do the same for customers who wish to pay with Apple Pay.

Boom!

... more'n one way to skin a cat!
  • Reply 279 of 502

There are things you can do to make CVS & MCX suffer some additional headaches:

First, do a search for "MCX Paydiant".  If you look at the press releases & articles this search returns, it looks like MCX is using Paydiant's "White Label" payment solution.

Paydiant & CVS are located in the (extended) Boston area.  Paydiant is in the Newton, MA area.  CVS is located in Woonsocket, RI.

Paydiant & CVS are looking for iOS developers.  If you look at any of the job boards, you'll find iOS openings for both employers.  There is a shortage of iOS developers in the Boston area, so both companies are constantly looking for iOS talent.

If you know of an iOS developer in the Boston area, discourage them for working at either company.  

If Paydiant can't find talent, it will cause problems with their largest customer, MCX.

As for CVS...  Their iOS app is a lost cause.  Why help them at all.

• Reply 280 of 502
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Fun thread. As a shareholder, I hope cvs changes its mind.