CVS joins Rite Aid in blocking Apple Pay in "CurrentC" plan to collect more customer data

Comments

• Reply 141 of 502
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I am definitely taking a conservative stance with my timeline and wouldn't be surprised to see merchants or banks are already saying ?Pay usage is higher than Google Wallet usage in its first week.

Admittedly, there may be a novelty effect occurring with ?Pay. ?Pay is; as Tim Cook described; easy, secure and private providing much more than a novel experience though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In previous threads I've used the comparison of the iPhone being used to access websites, ad, and payments made via websites and apps analytics as a comparison of how I expect ?Pay to play out in relation to Google Wallet.

This seems like the most reasonable approach. What are the current web browsing usage statistics of iPhone to Android?

Perhaps it's just me, but the "?" in "?Pay" grates on the eye.

?It would be nice if there were a ? prefix logo that looked like "o" instead of "?"

• Reply 142 of 502

I think what we should all do is go to CVS and Rite Aid, get a few items that have a decent amount of value then attempt to pay with Apple Pay.  When they say they don't accept it, say "you did a few weeks ago."  Then when they affirm it no longer works politely reply, "I think I'm going to go get these at Walgreens.  Be sure to tell your manager to let headquarters know your customers think that was a very bad decision."  Then leave.

• Reply 143 of 502
    I can't get rid of CVS as I have Caremark as my prescription insurance. But because of this, I will make sure to make any purchases on my American Express card, as they have the highest fees of any merchant transaction. I touted CVS as a great place to use NFC payments (disclosure - I work for AT&T, my words not theirs), but now I'll tell people to use Walgreens for their NFC support.
  • Reply 144 of 502
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Uh...I make it a point to not forget important information like passwords concerning taxes. If I screw up the easy things like this, I would be out of business because I couldn't take care of the more challenging aspects of being a business owner.

You sound like you are perfect in every way. I, on the other hand, am obviously an imbecile who accidentally forgot my password, one which I only use once a year. Yeah I'm an incompetent idiot. **** off!

And BTW if you start your post with "Uh" or "Um" you are are automatically relegated to ignore, (next time)

• Reply 145 of 502

I went to their customer feedback page and sent them this note:

"My family and I are your member-customers, and I am guessing, among your high-value customer group.

I sincerely hope that the recent news item about your company not accepting ApplePay is untrue. 

If it is indeed true, I would be quite disappointed, and think it's deeply short-sighted on your part. I hope you will reconsider this backward-looking decision. Otherwise, it will negatively impact my spending in your store."

If they heard something similar fro a few thousand people, I am guessing they'll pay attention.

• Reply 146 of 502
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Er...ummm...doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose,

if I'm required to give them my information, in order

to tell them I don't like giving them my information?

I have an idea...I'm going to write all my personal info on cash,

just to see whether they'll accept that!

• Reply 147 of 502
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Er...ummm...doesnt it kinda defeat the purpose, if I'm required to give them my information, in order

to tell them I don't like giving them my information?

Psst. Hey, boredumb...

Lie.

• Reply 148 of 502

Yes, all loser companies.  Especially BestBuy who I expect to do a Circuit City this year.

• Reply 149 of 502

100% agree.  Wrote a nastygram to CVS and told them why Walgreens is getting my business.  I'm awaiting a "Press F4" response.

• Reply 150 of 502
    Please stop this nonsense. You're derailing the thread. (TS, it would be good if you could stop this too. Please).

Yeah, but they've taken it this far. Now I gotta see how it ends. :)
  • Reply 151 of 502

Southwest Airlines and the oil companies are the only surprise for me on this list.

• Reply 152 of 502
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member

First time in several years I shopped at CVS, just so I could use Apple Pay. Now I have to return the items, because they don't deserve my business. That should be fun, since I didn't use a card and they've supposedly disabled the system.

That'll be the last time in several more years I shop at CVS, too. Ridiculously high prices there.

• Reply 153 of 502
    ibeam wrote: »
    You sound like you are perfect in every way. I, on the other hand, am obviously an imbecile who accidentally forgot my password, one which I only use once a year. Yeah I'm an incompetent idiot. **** off!
    No. Not perfect, just careful and learn to not repeat past mistakes. If I lose that password that I use once a year, you can damn well be sure it won't be forgotten the next year. Also wonder how you only use a password once a year for government taxes that often are paid quarterly, biweekly, weekly, etc.

As far as your self assessment, you'll get no argument from me.
  • Reply 154 of 502
    Insofar as HD-DVD is concerned, I recall that it didn't really turn decisively in Blu-Ray's favor until Warner Bros. dropped HD-DVD, directly triggering New Line, retailers and Netflix (which rented movies by mail) to abandon the format too, ending the format wars. It wasn't because consumers had decisively chosen Blu-Ray over HD-DVD; in fact, consumer uncertainty about HD formats (and the negative impact it had on adoption of both HD formats) was cited by Warner as the reason they ended their stand against Blu-Ray. (Warner was one of the principal backers of HD-DVD). The consumers in this case didn't choose the winner of the format wars in as much as forcing the industry to come to consensus about the one HD disc format to rule them all.

Sony selling millions of PS3's that added to the Blu-Ray format totals helped too.
  • Reply 155 of 502
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps it's just me, but the "?" in "?Pay" grates on the eye.

?It would be nice if there were a ? prefix logo that looked like "o" instead of "?"

Why? Seriously, please explain.

• Reply 156 of 502
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, but they've taken it this far. Now I gotta see how it ends. image

It’s ended. Anyone can go read his posts and see that he’s contradicting himself and pretending that there is no other way to do this than his own. Additionally, he blames Apple, et. al. for the problem.

It’s nonsense. I see ApplePay eventually being a conduit to getting the information you need to do your taxes effortlessly.

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Sony selling millions of PS3's that added to the Blu-Ray format totals helped too.

As the PS3 and 4 flounder for what they’re designed to be, it’s surprising how mildly popular they were (initially) as Blu-ray players.

• Reply 157 of 502
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    Oh, wait. They're serious? They really think they can shove this cat back in the bag? Newsflash, people have gotten a taste of simple anonymous payment and they're NOT GOING BACK. Not even a generous leveraging of market dominance will make consumers bow down and be tracked without even gaining any convenience. They might own a generous portion of their respective industries, but apple has near-total dominance of mobile phone tech. I foresee a mobile payment war, and I don't think the consortium of evil will win.
  • Reply 158 of 502

I travel extensively in Canada.  I love the vending machines that allow Apple Pay when you want a bottle of water or a bag of chips.  No more running to an ATM to get $20 bucks and getting charged $5 by your bank and $3 by the ATM and a $2 service charge.  That $10 is 50% interest for a bag of chips

• Reply 159 of 502
    I agree with Gruber and even Bob Carr's view that it's over for MCX's CurrentC. It's already lost. Apple Pay isn't so much as the winner as NFC payment infrastructure is. Apple Pay just helped boost it over that adoption barrier on the consumer side. Draconian, anti-consumer moves like turning off NFC payment terminals are not going to reverse the adoption of NFC for payments. If the early Apple Pay partners are successful and find profit in accepting Apple Pay-compatible payment options, more retailers will follow, and MCX members will be the sad holdouts who picked Betamax, or HD-DVD, or Palm Pré.

Apple, Google, and the entire US banking and credit card system vs. some washed up retailers, most of whom are a few quarters away from bankruptcy. Didn't take a genius to see how that was going to end, lol. :D
    Admittedly, there may be a novelty effect occurring with ?Pay. ?Pay is; as Tim Cook described; easy, secure and private providing much more than a novel experience though.
    This seems like the most reasonable approach. What are the current web browsing usage statistics of iPhone to Android?

I think a good deal of Android users aren't even aware they have a web browser on their phone. Being dead serious, not talking high end users which are a very small portion of the Android userbase anyway.
  • Reply 160 of 502
    cpsro wrote: »
    Why? Seriously, please explain.
    I think I understand what he means. The solid apple symbol stands out like one bold character in a line of normal text. An outlined apple symbol would be much lighter and wouldn't stand out as much.