CVS joins Rite Aid in blocking Apple Pay in "CurrentC" plan to collect more customer data

Comments

• Reply 81 of 502
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I had gone through so many of those crappy color printers that cost around $100, with their stupid expensive cartridges that don't last long at all.

That's exactly why I decided to spend a little more this time and get a big laser printer. It will far outlast any of those other crappy printers that I owned before, not to mention that the quality is great. I don't need color. I just need great quality black & white.

This Canon has been great. $45, cartridges never seem to dry out. And when they say low ink they continue to print for a long time. Both cartridges are about $40 total.

I'm going to need a B&W laser printer soon though, I have a bunch of stuff I need to print. I can use the one in the office, but I'm leaving at the end of the year so a future solution will be required.

I won't buy anything HP though, their quality is garbage.
  • Reply 82 of 502
    ibeam wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? That is how it is done in the US. I'm not sure where you live but if you want to save money on taxes you must itemize which requires proof of expenses.

Not worth my time. They're going to tax the bejeebers out of me no matter what I do. That's how government works.
  • Reply 83 of 502
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I used Google Wallet all the time at Rite Aid and started using Apple Pay when it was released. Looks like I'll be converting to Walgreens now.
  • Reply 84 of 502
    Bullshit. I'm not going to scan my W2, 1099, bank interest, capital gains, property tax bills and a million other expenses. That would take forever because I don't generally receive them in a secure digital format in the first place. I can't believe there are so many inexperienced people posting idiotic advice on tax preparation.
    And there's your problem. You should be receiving these things in a digital format. I run my own business and I prefer it when I can send and receive all sorts of information electronically - tax forms, invoices, statements, receipts, payments. It annoys me to no end to deal with a person or company that cannot handle the electronic delivery of information. That means that I have to scan the documents that they do give me - a huge pain in the ass and a waste of my time. Often times if you just ask, you will find that digital delivery is available.

In case anyone forgot to tell you, "Welcome to the 21st century."
  • Reply 85 of 502
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I won't buy anything HP though, their quality is garbage.

It's funny that you mention that, because that's exactly what I threw in the trash, before I bought my most current printer.

• Reply 86 of 502
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    I'm actually an anti-environmentalist and I have no problem with killing and murdering trees.

I bought a new printer a while ago, a huge Brother laser printer that prints out a ridiculous number of pages per minute, and I am constantly printing things out from my iPad and other computers that I have just for the hell of it.

LOL this post wins the thread.
  • Reply 87 of 502
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Not worth my time. They're going to tax the bejeebers out of me no matter what I do. That's how government works.

I think that is summarizes all the people here who have been so harsh against my tax preparation position. There are literally so many tax exemptions you can claim that you will always get money back. It is just stupid not to.

• Reply 88 of 502
    Perhaps I am wrong. These companies do have a stellar record in information security:
    • Sears Holding Company/K-Mart reported malicious software targeting their Point of Sale systems that compromised customers' credit card information on 10 October 2014
    • CVS/Caremark reported that "CVS Caremark is in the process of notifying the affected members that due to a programming error, letters intended for fewer than 350 plan members were sent to incorrect addresses" on 30 July 2014
    • Rite Aid Pharmacy reported that someone stole a" stack of expired prescription records from a Rite Aid pharmacy in Milton, the company announced Wednesday" on 30 July 2014
    • Lowe's reported that that one of their third party vendors backed up information related to these current and former employees to an unsecure computer server that was accessible from the Internet on 19 May 2014
    • Sears reported that the Secret Service is investigating Sears Holdings Corporation as a target of a similar security breach that hit Target and Neiman Marcus toward the end of 2013 on 28 February 2014
    • Michaels Stores Inc. communicated with customers as to the possibility of a security breach regarding customers payment cards on 25 January 2014
    • Wal-Mart reported that two men fraudulently obtained $400,000 by placing skimming devices at gas pumps at Wal-Mart stores on 29 July 2013
    • Gap, Banana Republic reported that a customer received a package from Banana Republic that contained documents with employee Social Security numbers, tax forms, resignation letters, legal notices, doctors' notes, and performance reviews on 16 July 2013
    • Kmart, Sears reported that a thief accessed $6,000 in cash and an unencrypted backup disk with a day's worth of customer information on 23 April 2013
    • Rite Aid Corporation a customer reported using RiteAid's mobile app to check a prescription noticed that he was able to access the names, addresses, and prescription records of other customers on 27 September 2012
    • Chili's reported that a dishonest employee was arrested for using a skimming device to steal customer credit card numbers at Chili's on 29 August 2012
    • Rite Aid Corporation reported that misplacement of paper documents resulted in the exposure of health and/or other personal information on 12 January 2012

Not one of them I have done any business [profession/consumer] for years with one exception: I picked up some chain cleaner for my Specialized a year ago at Walmart.
  • Reply 89 of 502
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Do these retailers know [I]NOTHING[/I] about the Apple faithful?
    I think they could save themselves time, money and a shitheap of bad karma, if they would only come here to AI and read this thread.
    Astonishingly dumb move.
  • Reply 90 of 502
    At least you can rest assured they will spend your money frugally and wisely.
    /s
  • Reply 91 of 502
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Nothing says the future of mobile banking like QR Codes¡
  • Reply 92 of 502
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I had gone through so many of those crappy color printers that cost around $100, with their stupid expensive cartridges that don't last long at all.

That's exactly why I decided to spend a little more this time and get a big laser printer. It will far outlast any of those other crappy printers that I owned before, not to mention that the quality is great. I don't need color. I just need great quality black & white.

Inkjet printers are a scam and a great example that human kind has to suffer outdated technology to sustain more profitable models for some  companies that happen to control specific markets. (see: electric cars...)

Laser printer technology is cheap enough these days that they should stop making and selling inkjet printers, but since companies are making tons of money from selling inkjet ink cartridges, they keep this obsolete technology alive.

• Reply 93 of 502
    ]
    It's funny that you mention that, because that's exactly what I threw in the trash, before I bought my most current printer.

My office, before I arrived, had a monstrosity Scan/Fax/Print/Copy HP unit. Cost $1200. Slow as could be, constantly "calibrating" after it printed twenty or so pages. Each toner cartridge was good for 2500 pages, at $130-150 a cartridge.

They bought late 2011, it started dying mid 2013. Replaced it with the new corporate standard, a $600 Ricoh that prints much faster, never has to "calibrate", and the toner cartridges are good for 6500 pages. Black is the same price as the HP, color is $20 more. It's also smaller and has higher build quality, plus if I do need to scan something it has a USB port and can save the document as a TIFF image, a JPEG, or a PDF.

And HP wonders why they're headed downhill.
    At least you can rest assured they will spend your money frugally and wisely.
    /s

True.
  • Reply 94 of 502
    before crying foul so loudly , consider that fact that only a tiny part of the smartphone universe in the US currently is comprised of Apple Pay compatible hardware. Not even the latest ipads can use it. All those iphones1-5S and not to talk about all other platforms, would like to have an efficient and secure payment solution as well. Making POS systems therefore CurrenC AND Apple Pay compatible would be the thing to do! Nevertheless, a correctly designed QR code based system is very safe as it doesn't require NFC or any kind of credit card info to be transmitted. It is also wrong that banks are cut out of the picture. Your bank is of course involved through the current account connection and its IT system which checks the validity of the transaction. Who will be cut put is the credit card companies, card (POS) acquirors which are very often banks and Apple. The QR system should also be much cheaper for merchants to operate from a transaction cost perspective (much lower fees). Where I see the problem with CurrenC is that the app is generating the QR code (scanned by the POS) and not the POS (for the smarphone app to read using the camera). This opens up the opportunity of fraud (you can screenshoot the QR code and send it to somebody else). Blaming merchants for being i teresting in your payment history is ridiculous. This is their business and how else should loyalty programs work in the future?
  • Reply 95 of 502
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    This make me think that banks and credit cards companies came to apple for help, not the other way. Because they might have perceived CurrentC as a threat and new apple would have the answer. Because with out apple pay this CurrentC might have had a chance. Possibly maybe not? Oh well apple pay is here screw this people because i am loving apple pay!
  • Reply 96 of 502
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diplication View Post

And there's your problem. You should be receiving these things in a digital format. I run my own business and I prefer it when I can send and receive all sorts of information electronically - tax forms, invoices, statements, receipts, payments. It annoys me to no end to deal with a person or company that cannot handle the electronic delivery of information. That means that I have to scan the documents that they do give me - a huge pain in the ass and a waste of my time. Often times if you just ask, you will find that digital delivery is available.

In case anyone forgot to tell you, "Welcome to the 21st century."

If you look at the liability issues you can understand why many of the financial institutions do not want to deliver sensitive documents over the internet. As a business owner you are probably aware that you have to submit your federal tax payments via  an electronic system now, however if you forget your password they will only send you a reset code to the address of record via USPS mail in 2-3 weeks.

We use perhaps the largest payroll processor in the world and they deliver our vouchers and checks by courier only.

• Reply 97 of 502
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Any merchants that accept ApplePay or NFC will retain me as a customer. Companies that actively prohibit the use of NFC will not see another dollar from me:

Best Buy
    CVS/pharmacy
    RiteAid
    Walmart

?Pay is wonderful and its foundation is clearly the future of secure payment — not just of mobile payments — but I'm not going to inconvenience myself and/or spend more money because they will only accept the two forms of payment I've been using for decades now.

Theses companies made a foolish investment and possibly even have a contract that forbids them from using other services, although possibly only now enforced because of ?Pay, but that really just shows the power behind a service that is less than a week old and the absolute failure of Google Wallet to catch on. All this seems inevitable to me. There were always going to be the outliers, for whatever misguided reason, weren't going to want to adopt ?Pay, but this will change, just as Sprint dropped WiMAX, MS dropped HD-DVD, Verizon stopped slamming the iPhone, before they all adopted what were the clearly going to be the next stages in their business models to stay relevant.

Boycott all you want, but I don't think it will speed up process because the hardheadedness encrusting it is independent of either customers, sales, or anything else that is reasonable for business at the end of 2014.
  • Reply 98 of 502
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Perhaps I am wrong. These companies do have a stellar record in information security:

• Sears Holding Company/K-Mart reported malicious software targeting their Point of Sale systems that compromised customers' credit card information on 10 October 2014

• CVS/Caremark reported that "CVS Caremark is in the process of notifying the affected members that due to a programming error, letters intended for fewer than 350 plan members were sent to incorrect addresses" on 30 July 2014

• Rite Aid Pharmacy reported that someone stole a" stack of expired prescription records from a Rite Aid pharmacy in Milton, the company announced Wednesday" on 30 July 2014

• Lowe's reported that that one of their third party vendors backed up information related to these current and former employees to an unsecure computer server that was accessible from the Internet on 19 May 2014

• Sears reported that the Secret Service is investigating Sears Holdings Corporation as a target of a similar security breach that hit Target and Neiman Marcus toward the end of 2013 on 28 February 2014

• Michaels Stores Inc. communicated with customers as to the possibility of a security breach regarding customers payment cards on 25 January 2014

• Wal-Mart reported that two men fraudulently obtained $400,000 by placing skimming devices at gas pumps at Wal-Mart stores on 29 July 2013

• Gap, Banana Republic reported that a customer received a package from Banana Republic that contained documents with employee Social Security numbers, tax forms, resignation letters, legal notices, doctors' notes, and performance reviews on 16 July 2013

• Kmart, Sears reported that a thief accessed $6,000 in cash and an unencrypted backup disk with a day's worth of customer information on 23 April 2013

• Rite Aid Corporation a customer reported using RiteAid's mobile app to check a prescription noticed that he was able to access the names, addresses, and prescription records of other customers on 27 September 2012

• Chili's reported that a dishonest employee was arrested for using a skimming device to steal customer credit card numbers at Chili's on 29 August 2012

• Rite Aid Corporation reported that misplacement of paper documents resulted in the exposure of health and/or other personal information on 12 January 2012

IT security is very difficult to get right. There are some stores where I will only use cash because of their poor record. Other stores, like Apple, I use my credit card, but even that has fraud protection.

• Reply 99 of 502
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have my AMEX loaded in, but still having issues with my BoA card. I called twice, still have bad info in the billing address.

Cant you just update your billing address with BoA?
  • Reply 100 of 502
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idrey View Post

Cant you just update your billing address with BoA?

According to BoA everything is recorded correctly but it is still is incorrect in the Passbook app. It insists that my office address is my billing address when it should be my home address. When I try to add in my home address it mangles it and still does not allow me to delete the office address. I'm not sure but I'm wondering if it is not contacting iCloud and there may be a mistake there.