CVS joins Rite Aid in blocking Apple Pay in "CurrentC" plan to collect more customer data

Comments

• Reply 101 of 502
    frac wrote: »
    Do these retailers know NOTHING about the Apple faithful?
    I think they could save themselves time, money and a shitheap of bad karma, if they would only come here to AI and read this thread.
    Astonishingly dumb move.

"Faithful"? I hope you mean that in jest.
    It's not a religious argument for most Apple users.
    What's stupid is CVS / Rite Aid not letting their customers pay with whatever is convenient for them, just because CVS and Rite Aid are members of MCX and want to force CurrentC on their customers. It's just plain ugly and inconsiderate to their customers to remove NFC payment terminals for spurious reasons; and this affects Google Wallet users too.
  • Reply 102 of 502
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    ibeam wrote: »
    According to BoA everything is recorded correctly but it is still is incorrect in the Passbook app. It insists that my office address is my billing address when it should be my home address. When I try to add in my home address it mangles it and still does not allow me to delete the office address. I'm not sure but I'm wondering if it is not contacting iCloud and there may be a mistake there.

Have you check the address that you have in your apple id?

Have you tried adding the address in passbook/applepay setting in setting?

Maybe you need to restore your iphone a had an issues where it wasnt working when i tried to pay i had to restore and now is working fine

I dont know if you have called this number 1 (888) 383-7800 it is BoA number for apple pay costumer
  • Reply 103 of 502
    You know, we really try hard to help someone who is just going to turn around and call us "idiots." Heh.
  • Reply 104 of 502
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    idrey wrote: »
    Have you check the address that you have in your apple id?

Every card I added that had any sort of authentication used my info stored with my bank, not with Apple, for verification. As far as I can tell and as I understand it, your Apple ID isn't used directly for any of the setup. You should also be able to add someone else's card to your Passbook, which could be an issue, although easily remedied.
  • Reply 105 of 502
    You know, we really try hard to help someone who is just going to turn around and call us "idiots." Heh.

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 106 of 502
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No, you offer no help to anyone. We can all check your post history.

• Reply 107 of 502
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Every card I added that had any sort of authentication used my info stored with my bank, not with Apple, for verification. As far as I can tell and as I understand it, your Apple ID isn't used directly for any of the setup. You should also be able to add someone else's card to your Passbook, which could be an issue, although easily remedied.

Correct i understand it that way too. But you have the option of adding the card that you have to make iTunes purchases. When you select add card on file all you have to do is enter the 3 digit security code
  • Reply 108 of 502
    mubailimubaili Posts: 454member
    thrang wrote: »
    Used at Walgreen's the other day, and today at Bloomingdales - worked great...

Now to get rid of the other nonsense for frequent shopper phone number, signing the display. Receipts should be stored digitally in the phone as well
    agree completely. Receipt can be emailed, and upper the limit of singing requirement. Many places now only requires signature if over $50. Maybe Apple Pay could set a $100 limit? But please get rid of receipt.
  • Reply 109 of 502
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,006member
    I was at a RiteAid just yesterday. I saw they had the right logo on their credit card scanner so I waved my 6 and it worked fine and said "transaction successful"... but no! The clerk got a script to read saying that they weren't accepting @pay at this time.
    What a shame. I paid cash to get my candy corn...
  • Reply 110 of 502
    mubailimubaili Posts: 454member
    sirrom wrote: »
    Here’s what I sent to CVS Customer “[Dis]Service”:
    I’m not sure why your company wants to offend its customers, but the choice to disallow NFC payments such as Google Wallet and Apple Pay is probably something that MBA and marketing students will be using as case examples of stupidity for decades to come. Business 101: When a customer wants to buy what you have, sell it to them. Make them want to come back and buy it again from YOU, not a competitor.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Customers that want to use these mobile payments are smart, have higher incomes and the willingness to spend it, and are also technologically knowledgeable. Sounds like the kind of customers you want to attract rather than annoy and disenfranchise.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Perhaps you should also remind yourself about what customer “service” means, but not to worry as I’m sure you’ll have fewer customers to worry about offending if your company keeps this policy in place for long. The customers you have left will turn you into another Kmart.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I’ll be taking my money and rewarding other merchants from now on so they can prosper, not you.</span>
    Good idea. I am going to send them emails too just to protest and make it clear they are really doing something very stupid.
  • Reply 111 of 502
    idrey wrote: »
    But you have the option of adding the card that you have to make iTunes purchases. When you select add card on file all you have to do is enter the 3 digit security code

That's just a one-way pull down for convenience. I kind of wish Apple didn't offer that because I do think it could lead to a wrong impression as to how ?Pay works when compared to the other server-based mobile payment systems.
  • Reply 112 of 502
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,010member
    I just tweeted @riteaid about moving to Walgreens due to Apple Pay.

I finally tried Apple Pay today at the Apple Store. Went there and bough the a 30pin to Lightning adapter for the wife's car just to try Apple Pay. Then the kids wanted to go to the Lego Store. While there I notice they have NFC terminals. So I decide to buy a small cup of bulk Legos so I can try Apple Pay again. Lady at the register says she did an Apple Pay yesterday successfully when I ask to try. No go. We tried about 12-15 times with her doing various things at the register but no go. The iPhone detected the termi al and asked for my finger and would say "done" but it never registered on her register and the event is listed in Passbook list with a dash in the amount. Kind of disappointing.

I'm letting Walmart know too about avoiding then due to lack of Apple Pay.
  • Reply 113 of 502
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ?Pay is wonderful and its foundation is clearly the future of secure payment — not just of mobile payments — but I'm not going to inconvenience myself and/or spend more money because they will only accept the two forms of payment I've been using for decades now.

Theses companies made a foolish investment and possibly even have a contract that forbids them from using other services, although possibly only now enforced because of ?Pay, but that really just shows the power behind a service that is less than a week old and the absolute failure of Google Wallet to catch on. All this seems inevitable to me. There were always going to be the outliers, for whatever misguided reason, weren't going to want to adopt ?Pay, but this will change, just as Sprint dropped WiMAX, MS dropped HD-DVD, Verizon stopped slamming the iPhone, before they all adopted what were the clearly going to be the next stages in their business models to stay relevant.

Boycott all you want, but I don't think it will speed up process because the hardheadedness encrusting it is independent of either customers, sales, or anything else that is reasonable for business at the end of 2014.

I think you are grossly underestimating the power of the consumer.

Google Android fans are going absolutely ape-shi... over this as well.
  • Reply 114 of 502
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

That's right. Companies play their strategic games if they can get away with it, but there's only one place they get their money, the customer. If people stop paying them you never seen anyone change position so fast.

• Reply 115 of 502
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Theses companies made a foolish investment and possibly even have a contract that forbids them from using other services, although possibly only now enforced because of ?Pay, but that really just shows the power behind a service that is less than a week old and the absolute failure of Google Wallet to catch on. All this seems inevitable to me.

It seems as though MCX members must block NFC-based payment systems.

Gruber writes about it: http://daringfireball.net/2014/10/nfc_apple_pay

This article is more direct: http://www.digitaltransactions.net/news/story/Heartland-CEO-Predicts-Apple-Pay-Will-Force-MCX-To-Abandon-Mobile-Wallet-Exclusivity

From this article:

Never one to mince words, Bob Carr, chief executive of the big merchant acquirer Heartland Payment Systems Inc., predicts that demand for Apple Inc.’s new Apple Pay mobile-payment service will force the retailer-controlled Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) to abandon a policy of requiring its members to accept only MCX’s CurrentC mobile wallet.

“MCX has this idea it’s us or nobody, you have to swear that you’re not going to use any other alternative-payment system,” Carr said Wednesday at the Mobile Payments Conference—Mobilizing Retail event in Skokie, Ill. “I don’t see how that survives. I think Apple Pay sort of kills that entire concept, because consumers will pay with what they want to pay, and with the device they want to pay. We learned that a long time ago.

Emphasis is mine.

• Reply 116 of 502

I'm certainly willing to accept that is a possibility and, frankly, would lo love to be proven wrong about the consumer's ability to make sweeping changes across dozens of companies so quickly.
    Google Android fans are going absolutely ape-shi... over this as well.

In a way, they have more right because those users surely have been using Google Wallet for awhile. That said, I would guess the sound of their anger is louder than the actual number of Google Wallet users. By the end of the year I'm guessing there will be more consumers actively using ?Pay than using Google Wallet.
  • Reply 117 of 502

Glad I shop at Walgreens rather than CVS. 

• Reply 118 of 502

Calling someone a troll doesn't make it so unless you know them personally. Unlikely. That guys isn't bitching about Apple.

• Reply 119 of 502
    ascii wrote: »
    That's right. Companies play their strategic games if they can get away with it, but there's only one place they get their money, the customer. If people stop paying them you never seen anyone change position so fast.
    ascii wrote: »

What are my odds betting on a reversal by most of the MCX retailers to support ?Pay or NFC prior to reporting fourth quarter (Holiday) earnings?

Any suckers takers?
  • Reply 120 of 502
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

You are completely full of shit. 

Uh huh.

“I AM AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.”

“I REFUSE TO DO MY TAXES DIGITALLY THEREFORE I HAVE TO PRINT OUT ALL MY RECEIPTS.”

“THIS IS THE FAULT OF APPLE, ET. AL. NOT MY FAULT NO SIREE I SURE COULDN’T POSSIBLY STOP PRINTING OUT RECEIPTS BECAUSE IT CONFLICTS WITH MY ENVIRONMENTALISM NOPE”

Originally Posted by bobbyfozz View Post

Calling someone a troll doesn't make it so unless you know them personally.

Uh... wh...