Apple Watch will likely require daily charging, Cook says

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 96
    peteo wrote: »
    <div class="quote-container" data-huddler-embed="/t/183085/apple-watch-will-likely-require-daily-charging-cook-says#post_2628473" data-huddler-embed-placeholder="false"><span>Quote:</span><div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>TheWhiteFalcon</strong> <a href="/t/183085/apple-watch-will-likely-require-daily-charging-cook-says#post_2628473"><img src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" class="inlineimg" alt="View Post"/></a><br/><br/>The only disappointing element in that is that you won't be able to use it as a sleep tracker, but given its cost I'm not sure I would have anyway. That being said, I charge my iPhone and iPad nightly, so why not add a third device?</div></div><p> </p>

    If they could get it to charge in 15-20 mins maybe you could take it off before taking a shower to charge it.
    Google nexus 6 phone can get 6 hours with a 15 min charge time (has a 3,200 mAh battery)

    How about a massive induction charger on the wall of the shower, so powerful it works while you wear it in the shower ? ;)

    and, at the same time -- roast your marshmallows and weenie ...
  • Reply 62 of 96
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post



    I don't see daily charging as a deal breaker. However, it is another plug and charger one must carry around just in case one doesn't return home every day, which may be burdensome for some users.

    People who design hotel rooms never think about where and how many outlets travelers need these days. The last Marriott I stayed at, the writing desk had a six outlet power strip bolted to the side of it. The outlets near the bed or on the lamp base are always difficult to use. When we travel together we have like six devices with us and end up charging stuff in the bathroom. Now add a couple ?Watch.

  • Reply 63 of 96
    ... charging it ,,, with this little beauty:

    1000

    You old crank.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    shsf wrote: »
    I am very excited about its potential as a health monitoring device and for getting in touch and caring for elder people and those with any degenerative brain condition, god be with them by the way for what they have to deal with. 


    Hey ...
  • Reply 65 of 96
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    There will be something as successful as the iPhone.

     

    The iPhone is basically a computing device.  Mainframe, Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, Phone, Wearable?

     

    The next form factor that replaces the phone will be as successful


     

    Yeah, it's easy ,when you experience great success, to think that it's not attainable again. You have to remember that most success is not luck, and the same talent is behind future efforts, and is now carrying more wisdom.

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post





    I didn't say linearly, although I implied monotonic, which is true, of course. Technology advancement is generally unsteady, so I wouldn't worry to much about the occasional plateau. Additionally, while energy storage may not be improving as fast as we might like, computational power use is declining steadily, so both factors need to be taken into account.

     

    You're right -- we'll get over this hump. I think that wearables would be timed better if they arrived just as a new battery technology was reaching affordability.

  • Reply 66 of 96
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nobodyy wrote: »
    Did he explicitly say because we'll use it so much? Or is that summarized from how he worded, "you'll wind up charging it every night"? Asking for clarity, not to be a jerk. 

    Of course there will a period when I can't keep my hands off of it, but, I'm talking about general usage over the duration of ownership. If I end up using it a lot because it's that convenient, I expect it to last through that usage and the entire day. 


    I'm willing to bet Apple will offer a stand to place it nicely on your nightstand besides you, similar to how they provided a dock with the original iPhone (that was sweet!).

    Yes, Cook did say that. But I took it more as a way for him to try and put a positive spin on one day battery life.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    There will be something as successful as the iPhone.

    The iPhone is basically a computing device.  Mainframe, Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, Phone, Wearable?

    The next form factor that replaces the phone will be as successful
    Tim Cook said iPhone will be the main revenue driver for Apple for at least the next 5 years. Maybe something will come along to replace iPhone but it's not happening anytime soon, certainly not 2015. Of course even though Wall Street and the media know ?Watch will not be iPhone like in terms of sales they'll still brand it a failure if it doesn't sell millions on launch weekend and they'll claim Apple is burying it in "other products" because its a failure and they're trying to hide it. Even though they know damn good and well that it's sitting in other products because Apple is going to be very selective on what ?Watch information they disclose and they want it to be very difficult for analysts to figure out product mix and ASPs.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    ... charging it ,,, with this little beauty:

    1000

    You old crank.

    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 69 of 96
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,039member

    The comments about the charging solutions are spot on. The inductive charger shown in the release movie is likely what will ship with the product, but there will be other options, perhaps from AAPL, but likely from third parties. The bedside dock will be popular. Likely one for the car and perhaps for the office. Betcha someone makes a self contained charger too - a dock with a battery.

     

    I suspect many of the details of the product are not yet finished. I would expect some power saving controls in the software. Going for a 3 hour run while streaming music over BT is likely gonna take some juice.

  • Reply 70 of 96

    Just like I've been saying, the battery life is the Achilles' heel of any smartwatch.  I think that's why the Pebble has been the most successful one so far, because it has the longest battery life albeit with shortcomings with regard to capabilities.  

     

    I think both Apple Watch and Android Wear have the "cool" features to intrigue potential customers, but the hassle of charging outweigh the benefits.  People want to set and forget.  Only on a device that is seen as necessary like a phone is the trade off worth it.  Watches have been proven to be unnecessary and it was the smartphone that killed it off in the first place.  The whole wearable concept is based on the idea that it can be there and forgotten until you need it.  Well, having to charge it all the time or even seeing a low battery warning on the second half of the day undermines that.  Maybe it shouldn't be a watch, glasses or earpiece that people have adjusted to not using.  Maybe a wearable needs to be a baseball cap or a pair of shoes.  I don't know personally.  But I do know that Apple generally revolutionized by showing a concept that wasn't what everybody thought was the solution.  

     

    For instance, while other companies were trying to take small computers (PDA's) and turning them into a phone (Treo), Apple looked at the popularity of their MP3 player (iPod) and made it into a revolutionary new device with a customized capacitive touch interface that completely caught the world off guard.  While the computer industry led by Microsoft was trying to turn a laptop into a tablet by folding back the screen and forcing us to use a pen instead of a mouse, Apple said, hey our iPhone is a mini tablet that doesn't even need a mouse.  You just use your finger.  Let's make it bigger, thereby redefining, or I should say giving a definition to a word that up til then didn't really have one.

     

    What the competition did wrong in the past was try to force something that wasn't right to be something it wasn't meant to be.  I still don't think a watch was meant to be a computing device.  I was hoping that Apple would come in at a different angle that would make sense where there was none.  I wished a new approach to battery life would be one of the issues Apple would have been able to surprise us with, but it looks like they didn't.

  • Reply 71 of 96
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by howieho View Post

     

    What the competition did wrong in the past was try to force something that wasn't right to be something it wasn't meant to be.  I still don't think a watch was meant to be a computing device.  I was hoping that Apple would come in at a different angle that would make sense where there was none.  I wished a new approach to battery life would be one of the issues Apple would have been able to surprise us with, but it looks like they didn't.


    We shall see.  I'm sure that, just like with the iPhone, the determining factor for the success of the Apple Watch will be the apps.  No one buys an iPhone because they want a way to make phone calls and no one will buy an Apple Watch because they want to know the time.  I had a cell phone for years before the iPhone.  I rarely used it, didn't take it with me everywhere, and often when needed it was out of power.  None of those things are true about my iPhone.  I have to charge it every night, but that's a minor inconvenience.  I expect the Apple Watch--for those people for whom it makes sense--will be the same.

  • Reply 72 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

     

    That's silly.  He's obviously wrong ("I can't imagine anyone wanting this after that remark.").  But if, by some miracle, he's right, then we'll see.  I'm not giving myself an out.


     

    Silly? Ha! That you missed my point tells me there is no use to try and explain it to you.

  • Reply 73 of 96
    Can the bracelet incorporate LiP batteries? Could be a series of electrically connected links. Or some other bracelet configuration.

    Also power management can be optimized. Connect via WiFi periodically, like every few seconds or minutes for messages, etc per use set parameters. I wonder if there are other efficient display technology. I remember Qualcomm had developed some reflective display tech that was very power efficient.

    Looking around, I do not think this product will have mass demand. Most people that I know do not carry a watch around since the advent of the cellphone and smartphone. I think this will be a niche market. May be if operated via 3G/LTE? Just my opinion.
  • Reply 74 of 96
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ibeam wrote: »
    People who design hotel rooms never think about where and how many outlets travelers need these days. The last Marriott I stayed at, the writing desk had a six outlet power strip bolted to the side of it. The outlets near the bed or on the lamp base are always difficult to use. When we travel together we have like six devices with us and end up charging stuff in the bathroom. Now add a couple ?Watch.

    They seem to deliberately not put outlets near beds.
  • Reply 75 of 96
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This is a non issue for most. Everyone I know charges phones and other electronics every night. The AppleWatch will be no different. Those that insist that they need multiple days and that multiple days without a charge is a huge feature are just trying to stir things up as there is no real ground to stand on with that view.

    You are right for phones. I don't even care about battery life. I plug in every night. I am generally at 20%. I'd plug in at 40%. I'd plug in at 60%. No marketing about extra battery life interests me.

    Watches though are different. People sleep with them on the wrist.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post





    You are right for phones. I don't even care about battery life. I plug in every night. I am generally at 20%. I'd plug in at 40%. I'd plug in at 60%. No marketing about extra battery life interests me.



    Watches though are different. People sleep with them on the wrist.

     

    That is where we are misaligned...I would never wear my watch to sleep.  Ever...So I would be curious to know what % of people do sleep with their watches on...that would tell us the importance to Apple regarding required battery life for this product...

  • Reply 77 of 96
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Silly? Ha! That you missed my point tells me there is no use to try and explain it to you.

    I didn't miss your point; I disagree with it. Hence my comment about it being silly. You're making an odd meta-semantic point about it being somehow illegitimate to say (in essence) "let's see if you're right when thing shake out in the future (I'm nearly certain you won't be)." Using your logic if you said "I guarantee the Giants will win tonight, probably by 10 runs." It would be out of bounds for me to reply "Let's talk tomorrow; if by some miracle the Giants win huge, you'll have the last laugh (but you won't)." To me that's a more rational response than "No they won't! I'm 100% certain that you're wrong wrong wrong!"

    But maybe a willingness to admit that I can't predict the future infallibly is, in your mind, a lack of "commitment." Shrug.
  • Reply 78 of 96
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by malax View Post





    I didn't miss your point; I disagree with it. Hence my comment about it being silly. You're making an odd meta-semantic point about it being somehow illegitimate to say (in essence) "let's see if you're right when thing shake out in the future (I'm nearly certain you won't be)." Using your logic if you said "I guarantee the Giants will win tonight, probably by 10 runs." It would be out of bounds for me to reply "Let's talk tomorrow; if by some miracle the Giants win huge, you'll have the last laugh (but you won't)." To me that's a more rational response than "No they won't! I'm 100% certain that you're wrong wrong wrong!"



    But maybe a willingness to admit that I can't predict the future infallibly is, in your mind, a lack of "commitment." Shrug.

     

    Well, again... it took you a lot of words to just get to your point...

     

    "lack of commitment".

  • Reply 79 of 96
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    That is where we are misaligned...I would never wear my watch to sleep.  Ever...So I would be curious to know what % of people do sleep with their watches on...that would tell us the importance to Apple regarding required battery life for this product...

    Actually it wouldn't. A watch that never needs charging (like a normal watch, basically) is one thing. A watch that needs charging every two days is hardly any better than one that needs daily charging. If I have to take off my watch to charge overnight, I'd want to do it every night so it would become an engrained habit. Every other night is a recipe for wearing a dead hunk of metal a few days a month. As long as it can survive, say, 20 hours of heavy use--after being used for a year or 2--then the battery life won't be an issue.
  • Reply 80 of 96
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     

     

    Well, again... it took you a lot of words to just get to your point...

     

    "lack of commitment".


    LOL.  I can't help it.  You're just amusing.

     

    Please enlighten us about how to demonstrate a "committment" to the arguments we make on this august forum that affects the lives of so many millions of people.  Oh wait, this is a rumor site, so perhaps, just perhaps, saying "I'm almost certain you'll be proven wrong" is a legitimate comment.

Sign In or Register to comment.