'FYI' and 'Feeln' channels get added to Apple TV lineup

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2014
A pair of new content options appeared on the Apple TV Tuesday, with users gaining access to A+E's "FYI" network, as well as "Feeln" from Hallmark.




Both new channels are automatically available to users of both the second- and third-generation "puck" style Apple TV. If the channels aren't appearing, users can reset their system to help expedite their availability.

The FYI Network requires that users authenticate with a participating cable provider, though some free content is available without logging in. The network was formerly known as the Biography Channel, but recently rebranded in July with a focus on programming "defined by the world we live in today."




Flagship programs on the FYI Network include "Sell This House," "Foo Factory," "Married at First Sight," "Celebrity House Hunting," and "Epic Meal Empire."

Feeln, however, is a subscription-based service from Hallmark. Users can access a one-week free trial, and after that access will run $4.99 per month, or $47.99 per year.




Feeln is a family-focused movie network, featuring Hollywood hits like "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," "Babe" and "Jerry Maguire," along with Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies and original short films.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

    Still no BBC iPlayer. :(

  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

     

    Still no BBC iPlayer. :(




    not even the bbc news - that is fed to samsung "smart' tv - 

    at work we watch this during lunch - (yes we have a large samsung tv in the conf room - sorry all)

  • Reply 3 of 23

    Apple TV is becoming a cluttered and cumbersome device.

     

    The force-feeding of channel icons on my screen which I can't make use of is ridiculous.

     

    My cable provider does not allow me access to all these cable network channels other than to watch brief clips. Useless.

     

    Apple needs to either step it up or drop it because the user experience of the Apple TV is terrible.

  • Reply 4 of 23
    jimsz wrote: »
    Apple TV is becoming a cluttered and cumbersome device.

    The force-feeding of channel icons on my screen which I can't make use of is ridiculous.

    My cable provider does not allow me access to all these cable network channels other than to watch brief clips. Useless.

    Apple needs to either step it up or drop it because the user experience of the Apple TV is terrible.
    Have patience grasshopper
    Any channels you don't want, remove them from the main screen.
    i wish for more content, but then some will argue it's becoming too cumbersome!
    The Apple TV is great for AirPlay, and apart from Netflix its mostly what is use all mine for, at work the AirPlay is a fabulous feature.
    I did start watching some stuff from red bull, although I think I'm in the wrong demographic, but I found some fascinating stuff on there
  • Reply 5 of 23
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 111member

    I've tried to remove some icon's from the screen that I will never need or want. Some can't be removed. 

  • Reply 6 of 23

    Meh.

  • Reply 7 of 23

    Don't know about you guys, but that Apple TV homescreen doesn't look any better than any of its competitors' homescreens. In fact, it's a bonafide UI nightmare. I know what we're seeing is the convergence of aTV OS and iOS, but as it stands it's a very unwieldy piece of real estate in Apple's normally well-manicured garden. 

  • Reply 8 of 23
    Finally, Apple TV has games! Games, you say? Yes. Similar to Whac-A-Mole, the object is to find and hide as many useless icons as you can. New icons pop up perpetually at random times. It's fun! Try it!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    jafujafu Posts: 9member
    Apple TV is starting to become like Roku, with the addition of crappy channels few people will watch, just to claim a high level of choices.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,251member
    I wish all the stations that require authentication from a cable company were on a hidden screen accessed from a button labelled 'Relics Of The Last Century".
  • Reply 11 of 23
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Uhhhhh... thanks Apple? Yawn. At least you give me the option to hide these new channels.

    I'm taking a wild guess and say these probably won't appeal to the average AppleInsider reader.

    An average cable subscription gets you a hundred channels, but how many does one actually watch? Can you imagine if every cable channel had an "app" on Apple TV?

    Wish Apple TV would have a TiVo-like search that can look across services and tell you if a show is on Netflix, Hulu, or over the air.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Originally Posted by jimsz View Post

    Apple TV is becoming a cluttered and cumbersome device.



    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

    Uhhhhh... thanks Apple? Yawn. At least you give me the option to hide these new channels.

      Originally Posted by Jafu View Post



    Apple TV is starting to become like Roku, with the addition of crappy channels few people will watch, just to claim a high level of choices.


     


    Only with Apple products do you find people whining about how they have too much choice.

  • Reply 13 of 23
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Apple TV- you are such a boring hobby. Your nice but just boring.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    <span style="background-color:rgb(255,255,255);line-height:1.4em;"> </span>
    <span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);line-height:1.4em;">Originally Posted by </span>
    <strong style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">Jafu</strong>
    <span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);line-height:1.4em;"> </span>
    <a href="/t/183093/fyi-and-feeln-channels-get-added-to-apple-tv-lineup#post_2628930" style="line-height:1.4em;background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">go_quote.gif</a>

    Only with Apple products do you find people whining about how they have too much choice.

    When it's a crappy choice- yes.
    Because we know Apple can do so much better. ;)
  • Reply 15 of 23
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    zroger73 wrote: »
    Finally, Apple TV has games! Games, you say? Yes. Similar to Whac-A-Mole, the object is to find and hide as many useless icons as you can. New icons pop up perpetually at random times. It's fun! Try it!

    Hysterical.
    I cleaned up the interface in the living room- it took forever.
    Then one night I turned it on in the bedroom - and said to myself "Why bother?"
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

    Because we know Apple can do so much better. image

     

    I await the day there are enough choices to warrant organized categories of Channels. Until then, what we have is perfectly fine. I don’t see why people are complaining; just reorder the icons how you want to see them, hide any you don’t use, and that’s that.

  • Reply 17 of 23
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 111member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    I await the day there are enough choices to warrant organized categories of Channels. Until then, what we have is perfectly fine. I don’t see why people are complaining; just reorder the icons how you want to see them, hide any you don’t use, and that’s that.


    Some can't be hidden. Sucks looking at them. 

  • Reply 18 of 23
    jafu wrote: »
    Apple TV is starting to become like Roku, with the addition of crappy channels few people will watch, just to claim a high level of choices.

    There is a simple explanation.

    An insufficiency of creativity. With the exception of a few channels there isn't much content worth any time on television. Television is the medium of the last century.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Originally Posted by Yuck9 View Post

    Some can't be hidden. Sucks looking at them. 

     

    To my memory, that’s Music, Videos, TV Shows, Radio and Settings.

     

    Not sure why you’d want to hide those.

  • Reply 20 of 23
    More crappy channels that no one wants. This is why cable is dying.

    Providers/Distributors that have the widest content with quality stream with no commericals at under $10 a month..... like Netflix will dominate!!!

    If AMC, HBO and Comedy Central were smart..they would pricepoint it same as Netflix of $8 a month. If They shoot for over $12 a month...it's not worth it. Then they have you paying cable rates again....which is the reason cable is dying in the first place.

    IT's just too damn high!
Sign In or Register to comment.