'I'm proud to be gay,' Apple CEO Tim Cook says in open letter supporting equality

Comments

• Reply 181 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yep. He's becoming a bit of a distraction lately, Steve was bigger than Apple because of all the tech stuff he'd done. If he spoke out, it was on a technical issue like Flash or DRM. Tim seems to see Apple as some sort of political engine.

So Product RED was a distraction too?

• Reply 182 of 650
    For those who think that Tim should not have gone public because of his responsibility to Apple, it's shareholders, customers, suppliers ...

Consider what would have happened if someone else had [I] outed [/I] Tim to the general public:

For example, this from 2011:

[QUOTE]
    [COLOR=black][B][SIZE=4]Apple Insider Thursday, January 20, 2011, 08:00 pm PT (11:00 pm ET)[/SIZE][/B]
    [/COLOR]
    [B][SIZE=3]Apple's Tim Cook profiled as "most powerful gay man in Silicon Valley"[/SIZE][/B]

By Daniel Eran Dilger

Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs has left operations chief Tim Cook in command during extended periods of medical leave three times now, indicating confidence in a man who has been described as Jobs' heir apparent for years.

Valleywag profiled Cook as being "as reticent to acknowledge his sexual orientation as he has his prowess in overseeing the company supply chain," noting that despite being a "famously quiet and collected person," Cook "will find his backstory, both personal and professional, the topic of increasing interest and discussion in the tech community."

The profile notes that "Cook's rise to his position—he is one of the most powerful corporate executives in the world, to say nothing of being the most powerful gay person in tech by a mile—is also a tribute to his skill and work ethic on the one hand, and to the utterly unconventional and unconventionally empowering people skills of Jobs on the other."

---

[/QUOTE]

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/20/apples_tim_cook_profiled_as_most_powerful_gay_man_in_silicon_valley

Probably better for Tim to address this, responsibly, on his own terms and time of his choosing -- rather than leaving it to others for reasons known only to them ...

As an AAPL shareholder, Apple customer and longtime Apple observer -- this is a very proud and satisfying moment!
  • Reply 183 of 650

Product RED contributed to the bottom line, though it was certainly a niche product. Was it political? I suppose an argument could be made. However, it was not a person.
  • Reply 184 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Archangel58 View Post

I'm sure if he was a pedophile he would be just as proud.

You mean like Rush Limbaugh and his vacations to the Dominican Republic?

• Reply 185 of 650
    For those who think that Tim should not have gone public because of his responsibility to Apple, it's shareholders, customers, suppliers ...

Consider what would have happened if someone else had outed Tim to the general public:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/20/apples_tim_cook_profiled_as_most_powerful_gay_man_in_silicon_valley

Probably better for Tim to address this, responsibly, on his own terms and time of his choosing -- rather than leaving it to others for reasons known only to them ...

As an AAPL shareholder, Apple customer and longtime Apple observer -- this is a very proud and satisfying moment!

Valleywag is a snarky, sarcastic site that isn't taken seriously.
  • Reply 186 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

If he's a gay man running the world's most valuable publicly held company, he's obligated to take a stand and speak his mind on an issue that not only affects him but millions of others. Especially if we're talking about human rights of equality. Why? It dismisses misconceptions of what it means to be "gay" and breaks down barriers for others.

And I would hardly call it a "distraction". He's not on tour promoting himself. His public speeches are during moments when he's being honored for his achievements - not for being gay, but for being an accomplished person.

So, using your logic (and it's banal), if Tim wants to "speak his mind on an issue that not only affects him but millions of others. Especially if we're talking about human rights" and he were pro-life, he's "obligated to take a stand" against abortion? I know, I know, the majority define what human rights are.

A CEO of a public company isn't obligated to speak out on personal issues that have social and political impact. The CEO can if s/he wishes to, but the company will have to deal with the reaction.

• Reply 187 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Eddy Cue and Phil Schiller aren't NeXT alum either. I think Cue came to Apple a few years before Jony Ive did.

Eddy and Jony are testaments to Steve keeping the best (and keeping those who wanted to work with Steve Jobs).

Schiller was a Apple/Jobs guy from way back in the day (original mac day), just didn't move to NeXT with Steve.

Tim's hire is important, in that he was an 'outsider' to Steve's and Apple's circle, at a time when Apple was literally in a death spiral.  And the job he did (he engineered the contract manufacturing model, shutting down the Apple factories), was critical to drive margins up. 

• Reply 188 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

This will help save lives.  Maybe not a lot, but one suicide averted is enough.

Apple :  It Gets Better.

• Reply 189 of 650
    I can understand why he didnt say anything and why it was a difficult choice. its really no ones business and yet now the media will hit whore off this and make it into a major issue for days. and so on.

he never claimed to be anything so he didnt lie. it doesnt change if hes a decent person or his knowledge and skills as CEO.
  • Reply 190 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

Offering a new color of products was hardly a distraction, I doubt Steve spent more than five minutes on it. It's also not political, curing diseases crosses party lines last I checked.

• Reply 191 of 650
    Because Steve founded Apple as a company based on the intersection of science and the liberal arts this kind of predisposes Apple as a company and Tim as a leader to have views some of the more extreme minded here don't want to hear about. I am not taking a position, simply pointing out Tim is in line with 'Apple' very much and Steve would be very happy with all he has done and said IMHO.

Bingo!!!
  • Reply 192 of 650

Consider what would have happened if someone else had outed Tim to the general public:

Valleywag is a snarky, sarcastic site that isn't taken seriously.

But the Article was printed in AI ...
  • Reply 193 of 650
    cgs268 wrote: »
    Well done and well said.
    We need more role models like Tim Cook.

so being openly gay is required to be a role model?

he couldnt be a role model as a gay supporting non gay. or just as a decent non gay human being.
  • Reply 194 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I fully agree and am a bit confused by this as well. He talks too much political issues, but rarely (except keynotes, of course) technical issues. Although I agree with Tim's political views – that's not why I want to listen to him.

But I think he's always been an operation guy, rather than a technical guy.  He's just leaving the technical things to the technical ppl in his company.  And that's fine with me. 

• Reply 195 of 650
    Steve was bigger than Apple because of all the tech stuff he'd done. .

If you ignore his cancer yes. but once that came into the picturew the media made it THE thing. Most of them didnt believe there was Apple without Steve. Ignoring that he didnt design, build and program everything all by himself
  • Reply 196 of 650
    But the Article was printed in AI ...

AI headlines should also be treated with great skepticism.
  • Reply 197 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Stock's down this morning, likely because there are more than a few people nervous about the increasing change in direction Cook has been making, and given that he is evidently spending a fair amount of time on this (I doubt his letter was something he hammered out on his iPad at 2AM), it's not wrong to be concerned about the direction of Apple. I'm actually considering if now is the time to sell, I'll show a profit on the stock if I get out now.

Actually it's because Apple is an a post-1980's IPO stock high.  Any decline is natural profit taking.  Which you are also considering.  Automatic trading programs don't read Businessweek.

• Reply 198 of 650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BadMonk View Post

I am so proud of Tim. For those you say this is a distraction...maybe...but I work with many gay people....they are the most loyal iPhone users on the planet...they are the vanguard of Apple....and completely within the tradition of the company...think (and be) different.

Gays are the "vanguard of Apple"? Come one now. Let's not go crazy...unless you're outing Jony Ive.

• Reply 199 of 650
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Somewhere in the universe today Alan Turing is smiling.

• Reply 200 of 650
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Good for him! And he couldn't have picked a better time to do it, either. After the last quarter, even the most backward person cannot deny that he isn't doing an awesome job running the biggest company on earth.