President Bill Clinton, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella & others praise Apple CEO Tim Cook for publicly

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
Following the publication of a heartfelt personal letter in which the Apple CEO revealed his sexual orientation publicly for the first time, Tim Cook has been showered with praise from coworkers, competitors, celebrities and more.

Tim Cook

Cook made his unexpected announcement on Thursday in an essay published by Bloomberg, saying that he is "proud" to be gay. The Apple chief executive said being gay has given him perspective on what it means to be a minority, and has given him "the skin of a rhinoceros" -- a valuable asset when leading a major corporation.

Among those praising Cook on Thursday was Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, who called his boss "courageous." The marketing chief tweeted at Cook and said he is "proud to work for you and be your friend."

Apple Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue also publicly extolled Cook, calling him a "friend and colleague."

@tim_cook = Courageous
Proud to work for you and be your friend
http://t.co/1yZEqvke9n

-- Philip Schiller (@pschiller)

@tim_cook Proud of my friend and colleague! http://t.co/PzABpsoWWH

-- Eddy Cue (@cue)

Cook also earned support from former U.S. President Bill Clinton, who tweeted at the Apple CEO, calling him a fellow "son of the South and sports fanatic." Clinton was born and raised in Arkansas, where he eventually became governor, while Cook hails from Alabama.

From one son of the South and sports fanatic to another, my hat's off to you, @Tim_cook. http://t.co/1dXvRa2Nhu

-- Bill Clinton (@billclinton)

Former U.S. Representative Barney Frank also spoke out in an interview with CNBC, in which he said Cook's announcement is "extraordinarily important." Frank served as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives for more than 30 years, and spent a majority of that time as an openly gay politician, after coming out publicly in 1987.

Frank said that Cook's stature as being one of the most important business leaders in America will go a long way in breaking down stereotypes about people of different sexual orientations.

"That does such an enormous amount to diminish the negative feelings," Frank said. "I am very grateful for him doing it."

Satya Nadella, CEO of rival Microsoft, also expressed support for Cook on Thursday. The head of the Redmond, Wash., software giant took to Twitter to say he is "inspired by" Cook and his essay.

Inspired by @tim_cook: "Life's most persistent & urgent question is 'What are you doing for others?'" http://t.co/wjzW5QPxqY via @BW

-- Satya Nadella (@satyanadella)

Others to praise Apple's CEO include Jason Collins, the first openly gay active major athlete in the U.S.; T-Mobile CEO John Legere; House Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi; and billionaire businessman Richard Branson, whose comments are included below.

So proud of Apple CEO @tim_cook. "We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick." Read his story http://t.co/iGtVNCb1XO

-- Jason Collins (@jasoncollins98)

Right on, @tim_cook

-- John Legere (@JohnLegere)

.@tim_cook, congrats on taking pride and making it easier for others throughout the world to do so!

-- Nancy Pelosi (@NancyPelosi)

I wonder how all those who discriminate against people for being gay will treat Apple's CEO when he visits http://t.co/5UXOc6vGY9

-- Richard Branson (@richardbranson)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    We all knew it but right on Cook, right on. Stay classy my friend.
  • Reply 2 of 162
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I do believe that noone should be obligated to announce their sexual orientation (especially public figures) but I understand why Cook did it, and why he believed it was in everyone's best interest that he do so: Apple's, his own, and the LGBT community. I think the positives that come out of it far outweigh any perceived negatives.

At least now, it's there in the open, so people can stop "wondering" if he's gay, secretly "outing him", and there's no chance he will be caught off guard by a misguided interview Q, etc in the future. I believe Cook, above all else, has Apple's best interest in mind, and this was a massive factor when making this announcement. If he believed it would in any way hurt his company, he would not have done it, and I respect him for that, and the eloquent and true words of his essay.

Now everyone can move the **** on. Cook is absolutely correct in that he does not define himself by this, since it's only now that he's said a word about it.
  • Reply 3 of 162

He will probably never know how many young LGBT people his official public coming out will help.

Everybody knew he was gay before, he never made a secret about it, but with this he is making it impossible to ignore and for that I salute him. Well done Tim. You're the best!

• Reply 4 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I do believe that noone should be obligated to announce their sexual orientation (especially public figures) but I understand why Cook did it, and why he believed it was in everyone's best interest that he do so: Apple's, his own, and the LGBT community. I think the positives that come out of it far outweigh any perceived negatives.

At least now, it's there in the open, so people can stop "wondering" if he's gay, secretly "outing him", and there's no chance he will be caught off guard by a misguided interview Q, etc in the future. I believe Cook, above all else, has Apple's best interest in mind, and this was a massive factor when making this announcement. If he believed it would in any way hurt his company, he would not have done it, and I respect him for that, and the eloquent and true words of his essay.

Now everyone can move the **** on. Cook is absolutely correct in that he does not define himself by this, since it's only now that he's said a word about it.

I don't think he felt obligated to, but rather did it because he thought it might help people live their lives

• Reply 5 of 162
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

He will probably never know how many young LGBT people his official public coming out will help.

Everybody knew he was gay before, he never made a secret about it, but with this he is making it impossible to ignore and for that I salute him. Well done Tim. You're the best!

Absolutely agree.

And on a side note - I have a hard time seeing how his announcement will be detrimental to Apple's bottom line, with reference to the ones reducing the importance of his public coming out to a 'distraction'. 

• Reply 6 of 162
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hey I'm proud to be a straight woman and think that was God's gift to me. Will Bill Clinton send me a tweet? :D
  • Reply 7 of 162
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Technology companies have always had a progressive culture, and Tim Cook epitomizes that. I think it really goes to show that the smartest guys in the room come from different walks of life, love different kinds of people and have different shades of color.

My personal outlook on life is I take all the people I admire, people that change our lives every day, scientists, engineers and powerful business leaders. If these folks have an opinion on the environment, have different sexual preferences or come from different walks of life...then i'm going to follow their example and accept those ideas, and look closely at their viewpoints.

I look to the smartest guy/girl in the room and hear his or her story. Not enough people do that. They think they need an intellectual equivalent or worse, someone they can drink a beer with. The world can't get better that way. Tim Cook by announcing his sexual preference makes the world a better place, and hopefully more people follow his example.

• Reply 8 of 162
    Apple's in the red .41% after a record quarter and the DOW is up 210 points, NASDAQ up 17 points at the time of this writing.

Markets sending a subtle message? I bet the stock will be trading up after hours...
  • Reply 9 of 162
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Tim Cook for President!
  • Reply 10 of 162
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hey I'm proud to be a straight woman and think that was God's gift to me. Will Bill Clinton send me a tweet? image

So you were ostracized and had hurtful things said to you when people found out you were straight woman?

That's what Tim means when he said he "understands what it's like to be part of a minority".  Whether you happened to have seen it or not (and taken notice of it) in your life experience, there are many places on earth where those in the majority cause hardship for those in the minority simply because they are different and herd mentality establishes order.

If Tim's coming out prevents even a small fraction of that hardship, it's worth it.  That's why praise is being heaped on him. People confuse the issue as gays and lesbians getting "more of something" than straight people would, when it's really about doing something that makes life better for others.

• Reply 11 of 162
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hey Tim how about fixing wifi issues in Yosemite? http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/30/yosemite-wi-fi-connection-issues/

I can confirm issues still exist with iOS 8.1 too. I'm encountering them both on my Air 2 and 5s. Incredibly frustrating.
  • Reply 12 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Following the publication of a heartfelt personal letter in which the Apple CEO revealed his sexual orientation publicly for the first time, Tim Cook has been showered with praise from coworkers, competitors, celebrities and more.

From one son of the South and sports fanatic to another, my hat's off to you, @Tim_cook. http://t.co/1dXvRa2Nhu

-- Bill Clinton (@billclinton)

I happen to think that it does not matter whether he announces it or not - I thought it was general knowledge.

Once again, that I think that as Apple's CEO he has to be careful using his position as a bully pulpit to promote his political and moral stance on issues that have nothing to do with the tech market. You may say he is doing as an individual but what he says about political, racial, religious issues do reflect back on Apple, Inc. as his position as it's CEO.

I am straight, have some gay/lesbian friends and it doesn't make a damn about my qualifications. I think Tim Cook has one of the best recommendations a business man can get - he was hand picked by Steve Jobs as his successor.

Lets not make a big deal about it (in the business world) and get on with things.

BTW: I don't know why Clinton chimed in -- a couple decades ago he was arguing that a BJ was not sex. I would not trust him as an expert¡  

• Reply 13 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

...If Tim's coming out prevents even a small fraction of that hardship, it's worth it....

As a stock holder of AAPL if it cause a drop in sales and therefore trade value its not worth it. He has a fiduciary responsibility to the stock holders to keep his personal deals out of the business of the companies.

Although his orientation doesn't matter to me there are numerous places/countries in this world where you can be executed or imprisoned for this behavior (in fact there was just an article about selling iPhones in Iran). Do you think in these totalitarian countries they are going to say 'sure we understand it's just one of those things that westerners do'? I rather doubt it.

• Reply 14 of 162

I guarantee once half the country hears about Bill Clinton and Nancy Pelosi praising Tim Cook, they will rethink their Apple purchases.

• Reply 15 of 162
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Clinton, lol.

• Reply 16 of 162
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    I just want to announce that I'm proud to be straight! Thank you!
  • Reply 17 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I don't think he felt obligated to, but rather did it because he thought it might help people live their lives

People couldn't live until Tim told them everything's OK? 

• Reply 18 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Clinton, lol.

Exactly. Clinton is the worst... until you look at Nancy Pelosi.

• Reply 19 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by izaiahmazin View Post

Apple's in the red .41% after a record quarter and the DOW is up 210 points, NASDAQ up 17 points at the time of this writing.

Markets sending a subtle message? I bet the stock will be trading up after hours...

Did Satya Nadella come out today as well?

• Reply 20 of 162
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

As a stock holder of AAPL if it cause a drop in sales and therefore trade value its not worth it. He has a fiduciary responsibility to the stock holders to keep his personal deals out of the business of the companies.

Although his orientation doesn't matter to me there are numerous places/countries in this world where you can be executed or imprisoned for this behavior (in fact there was just an article about selling iPhones in Iran). Do you think in these totalitarian countries they are going to say 'sure we understand it's just one of those things that westerners do'? I rather doubt it.

Are you being sarcastic?

CEO's have no "fiduciary responsibility to the stock holders" to never do or say anything that might negatively affect the stock price.  If Tim Cook wanted to join the Nazi Party or join the Green Party in a round of eco-terrorism that's his business.  If the board wanted to fire him because of that being a distraction (or criminal) or whatever, that's ok too.  "Fiduciary responsibility to the stock holders" doesn't play into it.