How Apple, Inc. went thermonuclear on Samsung, erasing Android's primary profit center

Comments

• Reply 241 of 315
    wisely wrote: »
    Why ask for something that don't exist? 

Firstly, we all know that Samsung and many Android makers don't report their high end unit sales.
    Secondly, for the reporting quarter that we are discussing, iphone 6/6 plus were not even available to most part of the world.

The full impact of iphone 6/6 plus can only be felt in this current quarter which will only be reported in Jan/Feb 2015.
    Unfortunately, come Jan/Feb 2015, no one can give you unit sales evidence since Samsung don't offer the numbers.

As stated in my reply to you, all you can see, is Sony, HTC and Samsung bleeding to death in terms of losing more money (or making even less profit) in the financial report in Jan/Feb 2015.  By then, you could still argue that it was Xiaomi and Chinese android makers that caused the damage.

Personally, I don't care who caused the damage.  I am ok with Android's market shares increasing as long as they are losing money big time trying to race to the bottom.  This proves a point about Android too.
    Don't ask me, ask the original poster why he claimed there was mass defections from android to iPhone 6/plus.
    I'm just saying there is no evidence or indication to back up such a claim.
  • Reply 242 of 315
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Here are the results from Google's own analytics as of September 9th.

Note that large starts at around 4.2" and goes to over 7" with Google's typically less than specific classification system. Since I can't break out 7" tablets as a result I'll give it to you. That still only leaves 7.7% for the entire large display category. When this data is updated again in the following months do you think the percentage of Large display sizes will increase or will drop as the smaller Android-based devices continue to sell at their current, profitless rates in developing countries and Samsung et al. struggle to sell premium handsets with larger displays that compete directly with the iPhone even though this trend started happening over a year ago?

Hint: There is only one logical answer.

Again, none of this is evidence of a shift of large numbers of android users to ios , all who were waiting for iPhone 6/plus.
  • Reply 243 of 315
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Don't ask me, ask the original poster why he claimed there was mass defections from android to iPhone 6/plus.
    I'm just saying there is no evidence or indication to back up such a claim.

There is no evidence this has happened but there is plenty of indication this will happen.
  • Reply 244 of 315
    Again, none of this is evidence of a shift of large numbers of android users to ios , all who were waiting for iPhone 6/plus.

Of course what I posted isn't evidence. It's a point that can be used for comparison later on to show a trend.
  • Reply 245 of 315
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    Here are the results from Google's own analytics as of September 9th.

Note that large starts at around 4.2" and goes to over 7" with Google's typically less than specific classification system. Since I can't break out 7" tablets as a result I'll give it to you. That still only leaves 7.7% for the entire large display category. When this data is updated again in the following months do you think the percentage of Large display sizes will increase or will drop as the smaller Android-based devices continue to sell at their current, profitless rates in developing countries and Samsung et al. struggle to sell premium handsets with larger displays that compete directly with the iPhone even though this trend started happening over a year ago?

Hint: There is only one logical answer.

Soli, the charts you're looking at are only generalizations. They are meant to assist developers in allowing for rough screen size and density configurations and certainly NOT a market breakdown of specific physical screen sizes.

"Each generalized size and density spans a range of actual screen sizes and densities. For example, two devices that both report a screen size of normal might have actual screen sizes and aspect ratios that are slightly different when measured by hand. Similarly, two devices that report a screen density of hdpi might have real pixel densities that are slightly different. Android makes these differences abstract to applications, so you can provide UI designed for the generalized sizes and densities and let the system handle any final adjustments as necessary. Figure 1 illustrates how different sizes and densities are roughly categorized into the different size and density groups."

In I know you'd like Google to report the percentage of Android handsets with specific physical screen dimensions but the developer guides you're using don't reveal that nor would it assist developers to even know those specifics. It's not pertinent to Android app creation. What you really want to know is market data, and I've no idea if anyone has something reliable or not. The market research articles I've read claim smartphones with 4.7" displays or larger command 25% or even more of the market, and that was before the latest iPhone's were announced.

Do a search using the term Smartphone screen size market share . There's quite a few researched articles in general agreement that far more than 10% of handsets are 4,7" or larger, contrary to what you think Google is claiming in the developer dashboards. So in essence using Google's developer consoles won't help you figure out what impact the latest iPhones have on comparable display size Android handsets.
  • Reply 246 of 315
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Soli, the charts you're looking at are only generalizations. They are meant to assist developers in allowing for general screen size and density configurations and certainly NOT a market breakdown of specific physical screen sizes.

"Each generalized size and density spans a range of actual screen sizes and densities. For example, two devices that both report a screen size of normal might have actual screen sizes and aspect ratios that are slightly different when measured by hand. Similarly, two devices that report a screen density of hdpi might have real pixel densities that are slightly different. Android makes these differences abstract to applications, so you can provide UI designed for the generalized sizes and densities and let the system handle any final adjustments as necessary. Figure 1 illustrates how different sizes and densities are roughly categorized into the different size and density groups."

In I know you'd like Google to report the percentage of Android handsets with specific physical screen dimensions but the developer guides you're using don't reveal that nor would it assist developers to even know those specifics. It's not pertinent to Android app creation. What you really want to know is market data, and I've no idea if anyone has something reliable or not.

Regardless, they get the data from somewhere and if that data changes we should see a change in the values, or are you saying Google will lie about the results?
    The market research articles I've read claim smartphones with 4.7" displays or larger command 25% or even more of the market, and that was before the latest iPhone's were announced

There is absolutely no way the 25% of the entire world's market for Android-Based phones are 4.7" or larger. The numbers simply don't add up.
  • Reply 247 of 315
    We probably won't be able to see the iPhone gain market share in any of these charts.

Why?

Because of the ever-increasing number of Android phones being pumped into the market.

In Q2 there were 230 million Android phones shipped. In Q3 that number ballooned to 280 million. Android is still growing.

Hell... the market is still growing.

Will Apple have another record-setting Q4 selling more iPhones than they ever have before? ABSOLUTELY

Will that affect [I]iPhone vs Android[/I] smartphone market share? I doubt it.
  • Reply 248 of 315
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

The switching from Apple to Samsung didn't happen overnight, nor are they going to be going back overnight. I think Samsung's numbers would have been dismal regardless of what size iPhone was released. The SGS, and Notes haven't changed much in the last few years, plus Xiaomi has become a force to reckon with rather quickly in some major markets.
  • Reply 249 of 315
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The switching from Apple to Samsung didn't happen overnight, nor are they going to be going back overnight. I think Samsung's numbers would have been dismal regardless of what size iPhone was released. The SGS, and Notes haven't changed much in the last few years, plus Xiaomi has become a force to reckon with rather quickly in some major markets.

What he said! :-)

• Reply 250 of 315
    There is absolutely no way the 25% of the entire world's market for Android-Based phones are 4.7" or larger. The numbers simply don't add up.
    Is that a guess or are you basing that on something you've seen or read?
  • Reply 251 of 315
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

http://www.canalys.com/newsroom/third-smart-phones-shipped-q1-had-5-plus-displays

q1 2013 33% of smartphones shipped had screen size >=5"

• Reply 252 of 315
    Regardless, they get the data from somewhere and if that data changes we should see a change in the values, or are you saying Google will lie about the results? .
    You know exactly what I'm saying. The developer dashboards won't tell you what impact Apple devices have on screen-size distribution which is what you believe it will reveal. You're trying to read generalized guidelines meant to help developers as market share numbers for specific screen sizes. It is not as you should have recognized from Google's explanation of the chart.

Edit: I don't even know why I'm wasting so much time with an AI newbee with 24 posts to his name. Get to know some of us before arguing with them.

/s ;)
  • Reply 253 of 315
    http://www.canalys.com/newsroom/third-smart-phones-shipped-q1-had-5-plus-displays

q1 2013 33% of smartphones shipped had screen size >=5"

Funny how you moved form "Android-based phones" and extrapolated "smartphones" from it.
  • Reply 254 of 315
    You know exactly what I'm saying. The developer dashboards won't tell you what impact Apple devices have on screen-size distribution which is what you believe it will reveal. You're trying to read generalized guidelines meant to help developers as market share numbers for specific screen sizes. It is not as you should have recognized from Google's explanation of the chart.

I don't care about their guidelines. Those percentages aren't guidelines on how OEMs should manufacture their devices, those are Google's numbers on what they've recorded for the last 7 days a the time of that image being posted. If those values don't change or go up then the iPhone 6 series can be said to be having a negative impact on large Android-based phone sales, but if it does go down and the smaller ranges for Android-based phones goes up we can infer that it's because of the iPhone 6 series, unless you want to make an argument as to why you think the iPhone 6 series will be ineffectual in months and quarters to come and what other factors have caused such a decline in large Android-based phones.
  • Reply 255 of 315
    Edit: I don't even know why I'm wasting so much time with an AI newbee with 24 posts to his name. Get to know some of us before arguing with them.

/s

:D

It still seems to take 30 to 120 minutes for my comments to post. I wonder when that you're-not-a-spammer trial is over.
  • Reply 256 of 315
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Do you feel that the 4.5" Android-based "smartphones" will not suffer as a result of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus?

No, they will not suffer IMO, because <4.7" Android smartphones are the lower market segment. I doubt many Android users who BOGO'd or got cheap phones would suddenly want to fork out $600+ for a 6/plus.

• Reply 257 of 315
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I have to say I am very impressed with what the likes of Xiaomi and Oppo have brought to the market. Normally I always gravitate towards a Nexus device for my Android needs, this time around though I'm thinking I might go with the Oppo R5, with only a 4.85mm thickness it's kind of intriguing. It's not as fast but to be honest most of these mobile cpu's nowadays are quick enough to do what I want too anyway.

• Reply 258 of 315
    Do you feel that the 4.5"+ Android-based "smartphones" will not suffer as a result of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus?
    Even economically priced smartphones now have 4.5"+ displays. That's not a metric reserved for premium-priced flagship models.
    http://www.motorola.com/us/Moto-G-2nd-Gen/moto-g-2nd-gen-pdp.html
  • Reply 259 of 315
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    wisely wrote: »
    You missed the Sony reported huge loss due to difficult smartphone markets story...

Boy does that make me giddy. I hate that POS copycat scum company too!!

*added Sony.
  • Reply 260 of 315
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I think Samsung's numbers would have been dismal regardless of what size iPhone was released. The SGS, and Notes haven't changed much in the last few years, plus Xiaomi has become a force to reckon with rather quickly in some major markets.

Very true.

While Samsung is the largest single Android vendor... there are more non-Samsung Android phones being sold today.

There were roughly 280 million Android phones shipped last quarter... but only 78 million were made by Samsung.

It used to be when you thought about Android you thought about Samsung. Those days are clearly over.