President Obama pushes FCC to classify Internet as public utility, protect net neutrality

Comments

• Reply 61 of 304
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Really? You think this will solve the problem? How big are those taxes anyway? Btw, who do you think is the biggest maker of optical fiber in the world? And, while at it, who will "spur on" domestic manufacture, and how?

Who is, BTW? Probably the Chinese, I'm guessing.

Will Apple ever get into infrastructure?
  • Reply 62 of 304
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I don't have an issue but as they say, the devil is in the details.
    Lying? Hardly. Intelligence from Europe was also used.

Do tell. The yellocake letter, or the David Rose piece linking Saddam Hussein to Al Qaeda?
  • Reply 63 of 304
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

We are worse off. Obama's policies are destroying the USA.

Look, you've got to be a factual here. In what way are we 'worse off'? How is the USA being 'destroyed'?

I am not pro-Obama in the least: if anything, I think he has zero leadership skills. But leaving that aside, I am looking at the board macro-economic facts, and this is what I see:

* Inflation is low

* Interest rates are low

* Corporate profits are at an all-time high

* The stock market is at an all-time high

* Silicon Valley is booming like in the mid-to-late 1990s

* Manufacturing is coming back into the US

* Energy production in the US is at all-time high

* Unemployment rate is down 

* The budget deficit has declined dramatically

* Health care spending growth has slowed

* Government employment is lower now than when this Administration started

* Crime rates have declined

* Teenage pregnancies have declined

* We haven't (yet) got into another war (although our involvement on the ISIS front is troubling)

?I could go on. How can all this be consistent with being 'worse off' or USA being 'destroyed'?

• Reply 64 of 304
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Aside from competition.

As mentioned, there is zero guarantee of that.

• Reply 65 of 304
    I say if we’re going to get the government involved in this way, why not stop trying to control the companies and just remove all of the excuses they use not to compete? <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Drop import taxes on optical cable (or spur on domestic manufacture). Start swapping copper in earnest for optical connections. Then someone will start offering 50 megabit where everyone else caps at 10. It</span>
    ’ll force speeds up and prices down.

Funny how a race to the bottom is mocked in one industry, and demanded in another. No company is going to make that type of capital investment to then get in a price war, especially in areas where it's going to literally take decades to see a return.
  • Reply 66 of 304
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

[general reflection]

Funny, but I always thought GWB was the worst president ever, and I know I am not alone, but I cannot recall ever seeing the same level of blind vitriol against him. [...]

I certainly can. The left's blind vitriol is just as prevalent as the right's, and the left can't recall or recognize it either more or less than the right.

Both sides rest primarily on Ad Hominem, and neither can form a real argument.

There. That is the first and last time I will ever discuss politics on this site. These threads disgust me, primarily because I see members who I otherwise respect as well informed and well reasoned revert to the same bullshit that they claim to despise (when it comes from the other side).

• Reply 67 of 304
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    flaneur wrote: »

Corning say they are, iirc
    But, you're right the Chinese are coming fast.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurahe/2013/01/14/technology-breakthrough-makes-chinese-fiber-optics-entrepreneur-a-new-billionaire/
  • Reply 68 of 304
    Thankfully, the president's opinion in this matter is largely irrelevant. The FCC operates independently.

IMO, handing over the keys to government would be the beginning of the end for the Internet. It is still largely the "Wild West" and that is exactly as it should be. We need less regulation, not more. We need need more competition, not less. The president's misguided in his belief on this, and he's shilling for high-bandwidth usage companies like Netflix. If "Net Neutrality" passes, everyone will pay for metered usage, or everyone will pay more to subsidize those high-traffic businesses.

Just keep the long fingers of government the hell away from this. Competition and deregulation would create thousands of solutions because there is a profit incentive to do so, regulation will stifle and slow innovation and competition.
  • Reply 69 of 304
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Desparately seeking relevancy.
    Lamest duck ever.
  • Reply 70 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really? You think this will solve the problem? How big are those taxes anyway? Btw, who do you think is the biggest maker of optical fiber in the world? And, while at it, who will "spur on" domestic manufacture, and how?

Not sure if they're the largest, but one of the largest makes of optical fibers (and its inventor) is Corning. They make most of it right here in the US, in N. Carolina. Japan is probably bigger overall, compared to the US. I think China is the third or fourth biggest optical fiber maker. The biggest consumer of optical fiber in the world, however, is China: about 50% of the world's product is sold there.

• Reply 71 of 304
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

If I'm not mistaken the answer to that is Corning. Right inside the US of A.
  • Reply 72 of 304
    Thankfully, the president's opinion in this matter is largely irrelevant. The FCC operates independently.

They are, but it's at least the right words. I've disagreed with a lot of what he's been saying but this is on the side of Americans.
  • Reply 73 of 304
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Look, you've got to be a factual here. In what way are we 'worse off'? How is the USA being 'destroyed'?

I am not pro-Obama in the least: if anything, I think he has zero leadership skills. But leaving that aside, I am looking at the board macro-economic facts, and this is what I see:
    * Inflation is low
    * Interest rates are low
    * We haven't (yet) got into another war (although our involvement on the ISIS front is troubling)

?I could go on. How can all this be consistent with being 'worse off' or USA being 'destroyed'?

OMG a spin doctor has invaded AI- save your nonsense for Rachel Madcow's blog.
  • Reply 74 of 304
    solipsismy wrote: »
    It's bad because it's coming from Obama¡

Among other reasons. It's bad because it's anti-competitive.
  • Reply 75 of 304
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Time Warner delivers to the house 200 feet down the road from me but say I am "out of their franchise area."  Wow, great choice and after paying them since November 1997 at my old house this is how they treat you.  I would say he was correct because I don't have an choice now for access beyond low end DSL.

They cannot be forced to provide you with their service. If those last 200 feet to your house costs $50,000 are YOU willing to pay for it? I doubt it!
  • Reply 76 of 304

* Inflation is low
    * Interest rates are low

And he did that with Congress working against him at every step, regardless of the step he took.

You can have different philosophies for how a nation should be run, but if you willfully put your party ahead of your country you are a traitor and, iMO, deserve to be hanged. Amazingly there are quotes from Republicans saying they will do the opposite of what Obama says. They are neither patriots nor public servants.
  • Reply 77 of 304
    Among other reasons. It's bad because it's anti-competitive.

You're' against net neutrality? You think allowing Charter to allow Hulu data through at streaming speeds but not Netflix is competitive? :???:
  • Reply 78 of 304
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

OMG a spin doctor has invaded AI- save your nonsense for Rachel Madcow's blog.

These are easily checkable facts. There is no spin here.

• Reply 79 of 304
    solipsismy wrote: »
    They are, but it's at least the right words. I've disagreed with a lot of what he's been saying but this is on the side of Americans.

I strongly disagree in this case. It's yet another area of governmental "mission creep" that, if implemented, would have disastrous long term effects. You must consider not just what the next administration is like, but the one after that, and the next one. What if one of them chooses to cut off your service because of political reasons? What if rates change to benefit certain politically connected providers? Well, gee, you won't have any alternatives because it'll all be administered by regulators. Regulators who are not responsive to market conditions. Then it could be at some point determined that because someone has been critical of the government they are now on a watch list.

How can any of us, knowing what we now know about spying on our own citizenry, possibly think this would be a good idea?
  • Reply 80 of 304
    Neither liberals nor conservatives have all the answers. We denigrate third world countries for their backwardness while we reduce alternate political philosophies to football-like rivalries. It's infantile. Learn to listen to others' ideas with an open mind instead of calling each other names.