Apple issues second OS X 10.10.1 beta to developers, continues focus on Wi-Fi

Posted:
in macOS edited November 2014
Apple on Monday pushed out the second OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite beta seed to developers for testing with focus areas unchanged from the first version that went out last week.

The second seed, build 14B23, comes exactly one week after the initial maintenance update beta was released.

Apple is once again asking developers to focus on Wi-Fi, Exchange accounts in Mail and Notification Center, all tasks carried over from the previous OS X 10.10.1 beta.

After releasing OS X 10.10 Yosemite to the general public in October, users have complained of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity issues, suggesting the maintenance update may be targeting the root problem. There have been no reports of widespread Notification Center bugs.

Developers can access the latest OS X 10.10.1 beta seed through Apple's developer portal or Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

In my opinion Yosemite has been the most stable .0 releases to come along in a long time. Since day one I can’t think of a single show stopper bug that has reared its ugly head. All of the new features work pretty well. Continuity, handoff, iOS phone calls, air drop all work just fine with my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1). 

Bug fixes are always good.

• Reply 2 of 25
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

I haven't had any major problems with it, but I do find that my wifi can be erratic.

• Reply 3 of 25
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Wifi on my 2014 retina iMac has been 300-400kbs on downloads when it was 2.4mbs. 2011 Mac mini, 2012 iMac, and 2008 MacBook pro have been fine and unaffected.

It really does blow on the retina though. Very annoying since that's my primary downloading computer.

I have the newest ac 3tb Time capsule also- as an fyi
  • Reply 4 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    The only issue I have had, and I didn't have it with the developer versions, is an intermittent delay on key stroke inputs in Mail. I have it on four different Macs, two MBPs, a Mac mini and new Mac Pro. I wonder if that was wifi related.
  • Reply 5 of 25

I have had significant issues with slow wifi identification and connections via an iPhone hotspot.  While my iPad will already be connected when I turn it on, my MacBook Pro requires me to turn the hot spot on and off and then wait a while for the MacBook to see it.

• Reply 6 of 25
    It seems my Apple Remote Desktop didn't like this update. I can't see the screen on the host although if I watch the client I am in control. Anyone else seen anything funny with ARD?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member

No apparent WiFi issues with my Early-2011 MBP i7.  Pulled 29MBps from a supposed 25MBps Comcast connection.  My late-2013 iMac is hard-wired to my Airport Extreme 802.11n router, so it's unknown if there is a problem there.

• Reply 8 of 25
    eriamjh wrote: »
    No apparent WiFi issues with my Early-2011 MBP i7.  Pulled 29MBps from a supposed 25MBps Comcast connection.  My late-2013 iMac is hard-wired to my Airport Extreme 802.11n router, so it's unknown if there is a problem there.

If you pull out the ethernet and use that 802.11n wifi router you can find out.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Wifi on my 2009 MacPro is all jacked up. Intermittent cutting out, dropping signal. Remote will connect for a second then it will crash the connection. Even having wired problems as well. No real Bluetooth issues as far as I can tell though.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    swiftswift Posts: 436member

I am on the beta list, and I got the 10.10.1 update. I've never had a moment's trouble with my setup, so I still don't have it. 

I've had to hunt out for the things -- I suspect old software -- that make my iMac (early 2008) seize up after a day running. It takes killing apps and general surgery until I can even restart. Then it works fine for about 17 hours. 

One thing was, I didn't have the InstantOn plug-in installed in Audio Hijack. After I updated the software and installed the latest version of the plug-in, I could keep working at it all through the working day. But it hits a limit somehow after a while.

• Reply 11 of 25
    Two issues.

1. In Safari, when doing Save As..., the Finder window grows and grows with every save, until the buttons to Create Folder, Cancel and Save are outside the visible window.

2. I cannot open windows right to the bottom of the screen, there is a 5 or so pixel buffer that really irritates.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    It seems my Apple Remote Desktop didn't like this update. I can't see the screen on the host although if I watch the client I am in control. Anyone else seen anything funny with ARD?

ARD has been a major issue with Yosemite for me, after extended screen sharing to a Yosemite Mac the system you are viewing will completely lockup for 5 minutes, the root cause seems to be the windowserver process running at over 70% cpu
  • Reply 13 of 25
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

No WiFi issues at all (13" MBA 2012).

But I've been getting slow / jumpy scrolling for large 2-column pdfs in Preview. 

And the old 'stuck at the top' issue with Dictionary viewing of Wikipedia. Though it does go away after the whole page + media are loaded. 

• Reply 14 of 25
    Yeah, I've been having some erratic wifi connection issues on my 2014 rMBP since Yosemite. Yesterday was a bad day. I'm looking forward to a SW update.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Really love Yosemite and up until release didn't have any problems. Something changed between the beta developer last release and the actual release that just tanked its ability to play games. All games have suffered massively for me and it is quite annoying.

Done a full wipe reinstall once and tried numerous fixes, a lot of people having this problem apparently.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    There are so many other performance bugs in Yosemite that I find it hard to believe that wifi is the only focus. maybe they will deal with the other bugs in 01.0.2..
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I'm getting video freezes about every three minutes for about a second in Safari.

Generally, though, Yosemite has been great. I wish Apple would get on with iOS 8.1.1; that's much more needed. I'm getting tired of my iPhone rebooting every day, not to mention the incredibly slow iCloud Drive.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    "It seems my Apple Remote Desktop didn't like this update. I can't see the screen on the host although if I watch the client I am in control. Anyone else seen anything funny with ARD?"

Oddly enough ARD has done some thing like this since 10.10... and the fix for viewing issue seems to be to change the view from rows to columns or vice versa. Haven't DL'd the current 10.10.1 seed to see if it persists for me. Tech Update Conference last week as "no comment" on ARD app 3.8 to match the 3.8 clients.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Wifi on my 2009 MacPro is all jacked up. Intermittent cutting out, dropping signal. Remote will connect for a second then it will crash the connection. Even having wired problems as well. No real Bluetooth issues as far as I can tell though.

I am having the same exact problems on my 2009 MacPro...

• Reply 20 of 25

i have had unending bugs with the iCloud connectivity in both iPhoto and Aperture. The new photos will up load but I cannot get the old photos in 74 albums to download in either program. I know they are there as they appear in my iPad.

I have rebooted, repaired permissions. database etc etc etc. everything I know but no downloads.