Apple's rumored 12.9-inch 'iPad Pro' pushed back to Q2 2015, current models to see steep sales decli

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    apple ][ wrote: »
    People are much better off if they ignore all analysts.

Before computers analysts used to study the entrails of slaughtered animals... and get very similar results...
  • Reply 42 of 97
    "If current iPad's are on a sales decline, it won't be too surprising. Neither the iPad Air 2 or the iPad Mini 3 were very good upgrades.", dave k.

I just picked up an iPad Air 2 (replaced my iPad 3) and I did so because of the upgrades. The speed is incredible, the weight is dramatically reduced, and the doubling of the onboard processor RAM allows for much larger files to be manipulated (I use a Autocad a lot). I really like the touchID feature also as well as the camera improvement. For me it much more than a simple upgrade - it is a dramatically new way to work (given all of the advanced features of iOS8 and the updated apps supporting both the hardware and iOS). I do wish they would build in real GPS without requiring the cellular chips.

I do agree that the Mini 3 didn't see much of an upgrade this cycle - but that size range is not of interest to me.

I think more folks are going to trade up this cycle and pass down their earlier iPads to friends, family or kids. The enterprise is increasingly using iPads to replace laptops and desktops - especially for field work; and I believe they will continue to gain use as point of sale (POS) devices in retail. So my impression is that iPad sales are going to have a nice uptick this quarter and into next year. The iPad Pro is more of a specialized unit that will have limited consumer market appeal.
  • Reply 43 of 97
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I rarely run into Safari tab reloads now.

So the problem still isn't fixed. Why do we accept this on our iPads when it never happens on a Mac?

• Reply 44 of 97
    emoeller wrote: »
    "If current iPad's are on a sales decline, it won't be too surprising. Neither the iPad Air 2 or the iPad Mini 3 were very good upgrades.", dave k.

I just picked up an iPad Air 2 (replaced my iPad 3) and I did so because of the upgrades. The speed is incredible, the weight is dramatically reduced, and the doubling of the onboard processor RAM allows for much larger files to be manipulated (I use a Autocad a lot). I really like the touchID feature also as well as the camera improvement. For me it much more than a simple upgrade - it is a dramatically new way to work (given all of the advanced features of iOS8 and the updated apps supporting both the hardware and iOS). I do wish they would build in real GPS without requiring the cellular chips.

I do agree that the Mini 3 didn't see much of an upgrade this cycle - but that size range is not of interest to me.

I think more folks are going to trade up this cycle and pass down their earlier iPads to friends, family or kids. The enterprise is increasingly using iPads to replace laptops and desktops - especially for field work; and I believe they will continue to gain use as point of sale (POS) devices in retail. So my impression is that iPad sales are going to have a nice uptick this quarter and into next year. The iPad Pro is more of a specialized unit that will have limited consumer market appeal.

Limited consumer market appeal, but excellent profit margins. The name "Pro" will be perfect for it.
  • Reply 45 of 97
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Here's anandtech with more info on the A8X. Pretty much the Best mobile SoC on the planet even beats out Nvida's K1 in most things.. Apple's SoC team is in a class of its own. Now we need some tablet apps to really take advantage of it

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8716/apple-a8xs-gpu-gxa6850-even-better-than-i-thought

I upgraded just for 2 the gigs. Makes safari & chrome desktop class browsers now

Hmmm MBA with A8X chip & iOS? to take chromebooks? Totally possible if thats they way apple wants to go....
  • Reply 46 of 97
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

If current iPad's are on a sales decline, it won't be too surprising.  Neither the iPad Air 2 or the iPad Mini 3 were very good upgrades.

iPad air 2 not a good upgrade over the iPad air? are you on drugs?

Has a 3 core cpu, 8 core GPU, 2 gb of faster ram, Screen is laminated to the glass, anti glare coating makes it heck of alot easier to read under lights. Touch ID, apple pay and its thinner and lighter.

What more do you want an f'in time machine???

He means if you have Air, it may not justify to upgrade to Air 2 since the only obvious differentiation is Touch ID, not like iPhone 5S to 6. For people who think Air was under-powered, then Air 2 may be worth the upgrade. I don't see the need for it myself either since I use my Air pretty much for browsing, FaceTime, iMessage, Social Networking, email and some basic tasks. If I use it for picture/video editing, design studio or music recording, I would want to upgrade.

• Reply 47 of 97
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

So the problem still isn't fixed. Why do we accept this on our iPads when it never happens on a Mac?

Simple answer: we don't need to multitask on the iPad the way we do with Mac. I would care less of safari reloading. It's like 0.1 sec.

• Reply 48 of 97
    Something(s) to consider...

Versus the current iPad so-called 12" plus iPad Pro might:
    [LIST]
    [*] have considerably more RAM than 2GB
    [*] have considerably more Storage than 128 GB
    [*] have considerably more power -- CPU and GPU cores clocked at a higher rate
    [*] have higher resolution display (more PPI)
    [*] have USB 3.1 and/or Thunderbolt
    [*] have considerably larger battery
    [*] have a digitizer option
    [*] have different jobs to be done
    [*] be targeted at different audiences
    [*] cost considerably more
    [*]
    [/LIST]

If true, most consumers, who are considering, or own iPads, won't be getting an iPad Pro ... Rather [I] professionals [/I] will use the device for things such as: audio/video/photo editing;   healthcare;   art/design;   CAD;  presentations;  sales; POST Terminal;    etc.

I think the current iPads will continue to appeal to those who have an iPhone and need a device with more capability/flexibility than an iPhone -- but don't need a laptop.

The iPad Pro will appeal to new and different audiences ... I think it is specifically designed for that and is a reason for the Apple/IBM partnership!

If this is so, then the iPad Pro should not have any major cannibalization or detrimental effect on current iPad sales -- if introduced in a timely and strategic way ...

A mid Jan 2015 might be a good time to [joint] announce [with IBM] -- with Feb-Mar availability.
  • Reply 49 of 97
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    iOS needs multi-user support and multiple apps on the screen at the same time.
  • Reply 50 of 97
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post
    I just picked up an iPad Air 2 (replaced my iPad 3) and I did so because of the upgrades. I do wish they would build in real GPS without requiring the cellular chips

It does have a real gps, and a very good one. The GPSA just means it uses cell towers to assist in locking on the closest satellites. Pretty much every GPS on the market does this now. If there is no cell signal, it will still be able to lock on to satellites, just takes longer. I use the iPad in the backcountry all the time for offline maps and tracking. Works amazing and battery life is great (Don't have the screen on much, only when i need to look at the map)

Apple highlights one of the GPS apps I use all the time on their web site:

http://www.apple.com/your-verse/elevating-expedition/

With the iPad air 2 there is a barometer now, so you'll get even better altitude readings (GPS ones can sometimes be off)

When I go hiking i do not leave home without it (along with paper map of course)
  • Reply 51 of 97
    I think people who really really wanted iPads have already got them. And the iPads they have really are working well and seem to last. I think the difficulty is trying to get someone who has a really good iPad or at least one that works somewhat well, but isn't really "demanding" an upgrade, to just get rid of their iPad and run out and buy a new one. Phones are waaay different.

I would be surprised if Apple would have no fall off. The product is solid it's just that everyone has one already. And of course the market people are probably saying SELL MORE or you are a FAILURE! I see this as Apple has pleased quite a few people and things are fine. I still have an IPad 2 and that thing can upgrade to iOS 8.1 right now, but who really cares cause it's a 16GB. And for what this needs to do, it's all good still.

COMPELL is the key word here I guess...
  • Reply 52 of 97
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

He means if you have Air, it may not justify to upgrade to Air 2 since the only obvious differentiation is Touch ID, not like iPhone 5S to 6. For people who think Air was under-powered, then Air 2 may be worth the upgrade. I don't see the need for it myself either since I use my Air pretty much for browsing, FaceTime, iMessage, Social Networking, email and some basic tasks. If I use it for picture/video editing, design studio or music recording, I would want to upgrade.

Exactly my point.  

Put 2 gigs of memory in an iPad Air 1 and I bet real world performance will be similar to an iPad Air 2.  But since you can't it's a moot point.

• Reply 53 of 97

“IT WILL HAPPEN EVENTUALLY I AM ALWAYS RIGHT JUST WAIT FOR IT TO HAPPEN AND THEN I WILL BE RIGHT.”

• Reply 54 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

YoY might be a better indicator.

Yeah, but can you make a click bait analyst report and headline with your "better" indicator?

• Reply 55 of 97
    dm3 wrote: »
    iOS needs multi-user support and multiple apps on the screen at the same time.

I would agree with an alternate, guest user support not multi-user * support -- iOS devices are designed as single-user devices.

* multi-user support is possible because iOS == OS X == iOS ... But the hardware speed, storage, etc. is not robust enough to support multiple users ...

Do you want your kids to use up all the storage with their photos, mail, documents? Do you want your work to crawl because your significant other started a long-running background task?
  • Reply 56 of 97
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »

I think that Rogifan went from an Air to an Air 2 and she can speak for herself, but I believe that she's pretty pleased, if I recall correctly.
    Had the Air 1 come with 2GB RAM I don't think I would've upgraded. Touch ID alone is not enough for me on the iPad. And I don't do anything intensive enough to really challenge the SoC.
  • Reply 57 of 97
    fallenjt wrote: »
    I don't think the Air was underpowered but iPads have needed more RAM for a long time.
  • Reply 58 of 97
    I would agree with an alternate, guest user support not multi-user * support -- iOS devices are designed as single-user devices.

* multi-user support is possible because iOS == OS X == iOS ... But the hardware speed, storage, etc. is not robust enough to support multiple users ...

Do you want your kids to use up all the storage with their photos, mail, documents? Do you want your work to crawl because your significant other started a long-running background task?
    It would be nice to have some sort of guest mode or kid mode which has limited access to the device. Not everybody can afford to own multiple iPads and it would be nice for parents to be able to hand off their iPad to their kids without worrying about them accessing things they shouldn't or downloading stuff off the app store.
  • Reply 59 of 97
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

The iPad 2 was an excellent upgrade in my opinion. It was would have been worth it for no other reason than the fingerprint reader. I love that thing. But the machine is noticeably faster than my 1st gen Air.

• Reply 60 of 97
    rogifan wrote: »
    Had the Air 1 come with 2GB RAM I don't think I would've upgraded. Touch ID alone is not enough for me on the iPad. And I don't do anything intensive enough to really challenge the SoC.

I have one app that really pukes due to RAM limits, it's just trying to load too much. Not even a game, it's a family history app.

rogifan wrote: »
    It would be nice to have some sort of guest mode or kid mode which has limited access to the device. Not everybody can afford to own multiple iPads and it would be nice for parents to be able to hand off their iPad to their kids without worrying about them accessing things they shouldn't or downloading stuff off the app store.

My Xperia Tablet S had this, though I never used it except once just to try it.

Actually, I can't even recall how you activated it lol. But it was targeted at "hand this to your kids/friend/spouse, they only use the apps you've allowed"