Apple's rumored 12.9-inch 'iPad Pro' pushed back to Q2 2015, current models to see steep sales decli

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

I'm hoping it has a pressure sensitive pen support. Even the new Wacom creative stylus 2 is problematic. I would love to use an iPad as an art tablet.

• Reply 62 of 97
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I would care less of safari reloading. It's like 0.1 sec.

You've obviously never tried copying and pasting from one tab to another then. F!@#g annoying to lose the text you've just spent the last 5 minutes typing on a forum.

• Reply 63 of 97
    rogifan wrote: »
    It would be nice to have some sort of guest mode or kid mode which has limited access to the device. Not everybody can afford to own multiple iPads and it would be nice for parents to be able to hand off their iPad to their kids without worrying about them accessing things they shouldn't or downloading stuff off the app store.

I go into settings and turn off wifi before I hand mine over.
  • Reply 64 of 97
    rogifan wrote: »
    I would agree with an alternate, guest user support not multi-user * support -- iOS devices are designed as single-user devices.

* multi-user support is possible because iOS == OS X == iOS ... But the hardware speed, storage, etc. is not robust enough to support multiple users ...

Do you want your kids to use up all the storage with their photos, mail, documents? Do you want your work to crawl because your significant other started a long-running background task?
    It would be nice to have some sort of guest mode or kid mode which has limited access to the device. Not everybody can afford to own multiple iPads and it would be nice for parents to be able to hand off their iPad to their kids without worrying about them accessing things they shouldn't or downloading stuff off the app store.

Exactly!
  • Reply 65 of 97
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

"If current iPad's are on a sales decline, it won't be too surprising. Neither the iPad Air 2 or the iPad Mini 3 were very good upgrades.", dave k.

I think more folks are going to trade up this cycle and pass down their earlier iPads to friends, family or kids. The enterprise is increasingly using iPads to replace laptops and desktops - especially for field work; and I believe they will continue to gain use as point of sale (POS) devices in retail. So my impression is that iPad sales are going to have a nice uptick this quarter and into next year. The iPad Pro is more of a specialized unit that will have limited consumer market appeal.

YoY growth does not happen with existing users upgrading every few years. They need new first time buyers and lots of them. What people are saying is that there are the beginning signs of saturation in iPad sales figures, at least in the developed world. I'm wondering if the IBM partnership will be able to move the needle. I have an iPad 3 and the original mini which both work fine for my needs.

• Reply 66 of 97
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Limited consumer market appeal, but excellent profit margins. The name "Pro" will be perfect for it.

I always considered the moniker "Pro" to mean no limitations. iPad is inherently limited by the very nature of iOS. I certainly can't do much if any of my professional computing on an iPad. Perhaps that is yet one more reason for slumping iPad sales. People might just be deciding to buy a notebooks instead of choosing an iPad because they need to get real computing work done.

• Reply 67 of 97
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    apple ][ wrote: »
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    It's phablets that are going to kill iPads.

No way.

An iPhone 6+ may be large sized for a phone, but it's still pretty small compared to a full sized iPad, and can't even compare, not to mention that iPads are significantly more powerful than any iPhones.

For more productive tasks and heavy reading, I don't think phablets work nearly as well as the iPad:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/why-i-prefer-the-iphone-6-over-the-6-plus-apps/

Video is a little different because the iPad mini is 4:3 and the iPhone 16:9 so if you look at 3:08 here, you can see that while there's still a size difference, it's not as big as with text and photos because 16:9 suits the widescreen display:

[VIDEO]

Greg Joswiak said the 6 Plus is more popular in Asia, not so much in Europe and more evened out in the US. Streaming video is said to be a big reason in Asia.

I personally just don't find many uses for the iPad beside reading books and websites when it's more convenient than using the Mac. I've tried to use it in the past for the forum and just find it very frustrating with tab reloading and their copy/paste setup.

I don't think a big screen is what it needs. I'd say they need it to do more. Reading subscriptions for all you can read books, a better newsstand, tactile touch, improve productivity (stop tab reloading by compressing each tab in memory when it moves to the background and only flush the largest compressed tab if there's no other option), improve copy paste, improve video streaming options somehow - a video subscription would be good.

The iPad is a great casual media consumption device but not without the media being easily accessible.

Some people will see the iPad sales decline to mean that people aren't buying iPads and instead alternatives but it's just that people all have iPads and don't need another one. They've sold 220m units in just 4 years. It remains to be seen what the upgrade cycle will be going forward but say you got an iPad even 4 years ago, when would people feel the need to upgrade and for what benefit? Lighter, slimmer, better screen, faster - if you aren't in urgent need of those things then there's nothing compelling to upgrade for. They don't break down much either.

I think something that would help is if they got the carriers selling the iPhones to push deals for both with shared data plans or just tethering and the carrier would get either extra data fees or a cut of the iPad sale. High upfront fees affect all Apple's hardware sales.
  • Reply 68 of 97
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There's a Guess Mode and Kid Mode now. Here it is:

• Reply 69 of 97
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    You've obviously never tried copying and pasting from one tab to another then. [URL=mailto:F!@#g]F!@#g[/URL]annoying to lose the text you've just spent the last 5 minutes typing on a forum.

Yes, yes yes! I hardly ever run into this problem now with the Air 2. Anyone who says more RAM isn't necessary is full of it. And I'll bet my entire Apple stock holdings that next year iPhones will come with 2GB RAM.
  • Reply 70 of 97
    It makes sense that the iPad sales will drop. Phablets have cannivalized tablets. And its not the first time Apple cannivalizes one of its product with something new. It is called evolution. My first apple product was an iPad 2, after i got iPad 4. Now okay i love iPad Air 2, but having a 6 Plus, i don't feel the need to use an iPad anymore. I think iPad mini is going to stop sometime soon, the same all the mini tablets. The next big thing (literally!) is the iPad 12,9. Which will be perfect to use an iPad to watch movies in HQ and manyvother things a small laptop can give.
  • Reply 71 of 97
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    apple had a good Sept QTR so time to throw cold water on success. 4Q vs 1Q numbers is a useless comparison.
  • Reply 72 of 97

I love how we're already pushing back rumored release dates on rumored products. It all makes it seem...so real.

• Reply 73 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC2009 View Post

WOW.... what an amazing prediction.... there will be sharp quarter-over-quarter drop in iPad sales following the HOLIDAY quarter. Who would of thunk it?

Not sure what you mean: you do know that the 'holiday' quarter is the first quarter of fiscal year 2015, right?

Apple's fiscal year ends in September. In other words, we just got done with 4Q'14.

• Reply 74 of 97
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Oh, really? You should be tagged as a total doufus from now on with such a ridiculous comment.

- GPU 2.5 faster, plus all sort of other speed enhancements we don't even know about (8 cores!!)

- CPU 50% faster

(Fastest spec in a tablet, especially good since trottling is minimal)

- Camera only par with Iphone 5 (with processing akin to Iphone 6) (Best camera in a tablet)

- Hardware based MP5 encoding and decoding (nobody had this)

- 18% thinner  (Thinnest at this size)

- 10% lighter   (Lightest at this size)

- Touch ID (Nobody has this)

- NFC chipset, enables secure payment with touch ID online (no one else has this)

- Bonded screen

- Anti-reflective screen (no one else has this)

- Better IPS screen

- 801.11AC Wifi

- More Cell bands (for the cell version)

- Universal sim which enables to switch network without switching sims.

- 2G of memory

- New Form factor and colors

- New more powerful speakers

- Iwork and ILife Suite free

- Cheaper options for 64GB storage

Hey, no reason to update... Just a crazy affirmation.

As for this "analyst" I'm betting he'll off, way way way off.

• Reply 75 of 97
    Isn't he comparing the holiday quarter (Q4-14) with the first quarter of 2015 (calendar year)? Of course, volume will drop significantly, if the strongest quarter is compared with the traditionally weakest... but it has everything that gives him the headline he's after.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    "KGI analyst," formerly "well-connected analyst," formerly "noted analyst"
  • Reply 77 of 97
    It's phablets that are going to kill iPads.

Like the 11" MBA killed the 17" MBP. /s
  • Reply 78 of 97
    dm3 wrote: »
    iOS needs multi-user support and multiple apps on the screen at the same time.

OMG AND MULTIPLAYER TEAM CO-OP TOO
  • Reply 79 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Exactly. The way they engineered A8X chip that surprised a lot of people with its GPU performance. Somehow, Apple could engineer a unique 8 cluster design sticking 2 GX6450 PowerVR chips on the same die. Yup...Anand Tech confirmed it. The chip technology is 2-3 years ahead competitors, just unbelievable. 

When one GPU is just not enough, use two ;-). Wonder if they can make them work seperately and then overlay themselves on top of each other, that would be original.

• Reply 80 of 97
    Please Appleinsider, stop quoting that delusional freak Ming-Chi Kuo.