App Store download buttons change from 'Free' to 'Get' as in-app purchases dominate revenue

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
With many "free" applications carrying hidden costs in the form of in-app purchases, Apple has stopped labeling free-to-download iOS apps as "Free" on the App Store, instead requiring users to tap a button that reads "Get" in order to install the software.

The small change to the App Store was instituted Wednesday in an apparent acknowledgement that many so-called "free" iOS applications are not.

For example, as of Tuesday afternoon, the 38 "top grossing" applications listed on the App Store are all free downloads with in-app purchases. The first paid app on the list is No. 39, Minecraft - Pocket Edition, which costs $6.99 to download.

Most of the top grossing apps for iPhone are free-to-play games, which users can download for free but encourage -- or sometimes require -- in-app purchases to advance.

So-called "freemium" titles have been a source of controversy, as they can be downloaded by children who can rack up charges on their parents' App Store account. That prompted Apple to add a notice in 2013 highlighting when a free application includes in-app purchases.

Apple was even sued in 2011 and was accused of collecting "millions of dollars" from unauthorized in-app purchases made by children. Apple settled the case last year and offered $5 iTunes credits to the complainants.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    GET?? WTF Apple. Nothing intuitive about that. If you can't use Free because of IAP then how about something like Download? GET sounds stupid and looks fugly.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    The EU and various EU national state consumer protection boards/associations forced this. It's a good chance.
  • Reply 3 of 48

"GET"? That's horrible. It's wonky. Cheesy. Too "different". How about...

"FREE" for apps that are truly free or ad-supported.

"$.$$" for one-time paid apps.

"$.$$+" for apps that have in-app purchases.

I realize we humans dislike change and will adapt, but this comes across as horribly un-Apple-like and poorly planned. It's these little things in the post-Jobs era that keep adding up.

• Reply 4 of 48
    rogifan wrote: »
    GET?? WTF Apple. Nothing intuitive about that. If you can't use Free because of IAP then how about something like Download? GET sounds stupid and looks fugly.

It seems clear that it's to avoid confusion over the charges of in-app purchases. I welcome the addition, but I would like free apps that have no in-app purchase (or all free of charge in-app purchases) to still be listed as Free to further facilitate this effort for clarity.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    • "Get at last, get at last."
    • "The best things in life are get."
    • "I'm get to be what I want."
    • "Get your mind and the rest will follow."

zroger73 wrote: »

I realize we humans dislike change and will adapt, but this comes across as horribly un-Apple-like and poorly planned. It's these little things in the post-Jobs era that keep adding up.

1) You want free apps that have in-app purchases to show up as $0.00+?

2) The plus symbol is already used to denote Universal apps for iOS for iPhone and iOS for iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

They should use "fetch."

As in "that's so fetch!"

;)

• Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

I realize we humans dislike change and will adapt, but this comes across as horribly un-Apple-like and poorly planned...

The same could be said of your alternative (perhaps moreso... expecting people to remember three different designations?).  Personally, "Get" is succinct, and doesn't imply "free".  I've no problem with this at all.

And "Download" is so last decade, Rogi.  We don't download from The Cloud anymore.  ;-)

• Reply 8 of 48
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

The term "Free" has completely been corrupted -  it is meaningless now. Its now a device used to entrap the customer!

• Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

The EU and various EU national state consumer protection boards/associations forced this. It's a good chance.

Really? It is still 'Gratis' here in Sweden.

• Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

No one likes the EU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

but I would like free apps that have no in-app purchase (or all free of charge in-app purchases) to still be listed as Free to further facilitate this effort for clarity.

Those still exist?

• Reply 11 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

The term "Free" has completely been corrupted -  it is meaningless now. Its now a device used to entrap the customer!

True dat. It shouldn't say free if it ain't so and Apple is trying to deal with that. The button could say Get This App or something more explicit but after a while that would seem heavy handed. I prefer Get, to Free, when usually Free is a lie. And the price should be clearly stated next to the Get button. I hate free apps anyway. Like we all know, nothing is ever free. Sometimes I hear people complain that an app is 1.99, or whatever. Really? 1.99 is too much? Perhaps there should be an option to try for free. Optionally any app will work as designed for a few days free of charge after which you have the option to delete or pay.

• Reply 12 of 48
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

What other word could they use that would fit the small box and still be readable.

Up to 4 letters.

Get.

That's pretty much it.

• Reply 13 of 48
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

It seems clear that it's to avoid confusion over the charges of in-app purchases. I welcome the addition, but I would like free apps that have no in-app purchase (or all free of charge in-app purchases) to still be listed as Free to further facilitate this effort for clarity.

I wish Apple allowed no-charge IAP (it solves certain problems), but alas, the "Free" price tier does not exist in iTunes Connect for IAP.  (As of a month ago at least, and I submitted the request to Apple to allow this several years ago).

• Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

I wish Apple allowed no-charge IAP (it solves certain problems), but alas, the "Free" price tier does not exist in iTunes Connect for IAP.  (As of a month ago at least, and I submitted the request to Apple to allow this several years ago).

Apple has some issues they need to work out. App trials would be another big thing I'd like to see. It's not like the old days where a new app was a pretty big event, and you'd find out quick if it stunk. Now there's 1.4 million apps, too many of which are drek.

• Reply 15 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What the **** is more intuitive than "get"? It's most intuitive damn word that exists. All I hear people saying is "I want to get that app" and "did you get that app"? It's part of language now. Also, screen real-estate in the appstore is EXTREMELY valuable, which is why a 3 letter word would get preference over an 8 letter world like "download" which clutters things needlessly, and take space away from the app name, etc. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

What a stupid fucking rant. "Poorly planned"? "Keep adding up.."? What a ridiculous troll. You know what else keeps "adding up"? Apple insane success in the post-Jobs era, which you choose to ignore to focus on a word you don't personally like, for some utterly irrational reason. And yeah, your "solution" of multiple dollar signs, combined with periods and pluses is just SO much more elegant and intuitive than "get". It's pretty incredible what trolls like you get riled up about. Constantly, desperately looking for any excuse to start shrieking and jumping around proclaiming doom and gloom, for reasons that are beyond laughable. The perfect example of superficially and childishly bitching about change.  

/Facepalm

• Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

• "Get at last, get at last."

• "The best things in life are get."

• "I'm get to be what I want."

• "Get your mind and the rest will follow."

• "Well, I'm get... get-fallin' (get fallin', now I'm get fallin')"

• "I'm get to do what I want, any old time."

• Reply 17 of 48
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With many "free" applications carrying hidden costs in the form of in-app purchases, Apple has stopped labeling free-to-download iOS apps as "Free" on the App Store, instead requiring users to tap a button that reads "Get" in order to install the software.

Completely and utterly idiotic.

1. Nothing the EU does is good.

2. This is particularly not good. This is disgusting, embarrassing, and pathetic.

You want free apps that have in-app purchases to show up as $0.00+.

Yes, actually; that sounds pretty good.

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

No, but thanks for perpetuating the thought that a person is incapable of having responsibility over his own actions.

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

What other word could they use that would fit the small box and still be readable. Up to 4 letters.

FREE could fit. Let’s use FREE.

• Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What the **** is more intuitive than "get"? It's most intuitive damn word that exists. All I hear people saying is "I want to get that app" and "did you get that app"? It's part of language now. Also, screen real-estate in the appstore is EXTREMELY valuable, which is why a 3 letter word would get preference over an 8 letter world like "download" which clutters things needlessly, and take space away from the app name, etc. 

What a stupid fucking rant. "Poorly planned"? "Keep adding up.."? What a ridiculous troll. You know what else keeps "adding up"? Apple insane success in the post-Jobs era, which you choose to ignore to focus on a word you don't personally like, for some utterly irrational reason. And yeah, your "solution" of multiple dollar signs, combined with periods and pluses is just SO much more elegant and intuitive than "get". It's pretty incredible what trolls like you get riled up about. Constantly, desperately looking for any excuse to start shrieking and jumping around proclaiming doom and gloom, for reasons that are beyond laughable. The perfect example of superficially and childishly bitching about change.  

/Facepalm

What was that you were saying about superficially and childlishly bitching...? It sounds like you need a mirror in the palm of your hand.

• Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:

Exactly - just LET ME DO A SEARCH THAT EXCLUDES IAP crap, the scourge of the app world.

"Get" it, Apple?

You want an easy, intuitive word for IAP bullshit? Just use "CRAP".

• Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

GET over yourself.

Get is simple and does not imply free.  Download is too long of a word for the mobile iTunes Store.  Do you GET that?