DOJ: A child will die due to Apple's iOS 8 encryption tech

Comments

• Reply 41 of 156
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    If police do not search every home daily, it will one day result in the death of a child.

If we do not all wear government tracking collars with explosive kill switches, that too will one day result in the death of a child.

(Letting the government go invisibly unchecked will result in a LOT of deaths one far off day, and lot of loss of liberty in the meantime. Liberty children MIGHT want to grow up having.)
  • Reply 42 of 156
    formosa wrote: »
    DOJ can't say the same thing about Android encryption...

Rumor has it that yes they can.,apparently Google has tossed the same keys
  • Reply 43 of 156
    Talk about reaching....
  • Reply 44 of 156
    What did the law enforcement do before the iPhone? Oh, their jobs.
  • Reply 45 of 156
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Bullshit. If the DOJ was really worried about the children, they should enforce all the laws.
  • Reply 46 of 156
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quick! Ban bicycling, horseback riding, swing sets, riding in the front seat of a car, swinging on a rope over a creek! Think of the children's lives that could be saved!! Or better yet, use the argument: What if it was your kid?
  • Reply 47 of 156
    The only way to keep any children from dying in the future is to prevent people from having them in the first place.
  • Reply 48 of 156

If we don't fight to maintain what little privacy we have left, then we don't deserve to have privacy.

• Reply 49 of 156
    y2any2an Posts: 189member
    That is an incredibly specious argument. Using children as a defence for malevolent acts by the state?
  • Reply 50 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When asked why Apple can't create a backdoor to be used by law enforcement agents acting with proper court approval, Sewell said, "We can't create a key that only the good guys can use."

Best and most appropriate line in the entire article.

• Reply 51 of 156
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

If we do not all wear government tracking collars with explosive kill switches, that too will one day result in the death of a child.

Ah, Harrison Bergeron... 

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Bullshit. If the DOJ was really worried about the children, they should enforce all the laws.

All the legal laws. Important distinction.

• Reply 52 of 156
    People will die due to corrupt and evil police. People will die because of corrupt and evil wall street bankers. People will die because of a president that allows torture. People will die because of a corrupt and evil government.

Yeah, I'll take my chances with ios 8 over a crooked, cop/judge/politician/preist/teacher/senator/congressman/government/etc...etc...etc...

An ios 8 device doesn't bother me. The rest do.
    An ios 8 doesn't scare me. The rest do.
  • Reply 53 of 156
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Well, if anyone needed a handy definition of dirty pool, here ya' go.

Honestly, I'm ashamed.

How did my country become a place that so readily selects

this kind of thorough-going butthole for success and responsibility?

• Reply 54 of 156

• Reply 55 of 156
    The question they're really asking us, is how much are you willing to sacrifice for freedom? The answer - Americans have already demonstrated that we're willing to die for our freedom.

I don't want a future theoretical child to die, but me doing what's right won't kill a child.. The criminal is the one that kills a child. Me doing what's right will have a positive effect on my child - he won't have to deal with a world where the government is monitoring, logging, and crawling through his conversations from the last 20 years with the touch of a button.
  • Reply 56 of 156
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

[post]

• Reply 57 of 156
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    One child may die.

But at least the others get to live.

The DoJ are insulting the American public's intelligence - this is clearly an NSA straw man to allow domestic spying because all democracies fail from within.

And it's about that time again.

Apparently Governments should be afraid of their people.

And so they are.
  • Reply 58 of 156
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

"its not guns the kill people, it Apple's encryption that kills people"

• Reply 59 of 156
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

...all democracies fail from within.

Not a democracy, but your point remains totally valid. Sorry, it’s just a really important distinction. We’re a republic because direct democracies are untenable at sizes greater than a few thousand.

• Reply 60 of 156
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    y2an wrote: »
    That is an incredibly specious argument. Using children as a defence for malevolent acts by the state?

I thought it was only those nasty enemies in far off places who use kids as a shield...

…against the righteous drone strikes.