DOJ: A child will die due to Apple's iOS 8 encryption tech

Comments

• Reply 61 of 156
    If strong encryption could lead to the death of a child, what could insecure data lead to?
  • Reply 62 of 156
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by formosa View Post

DOJ can't say the same thing about Android encryption...

If you were a terrorist, would you depend on Android to keep your secrets? 

• Reply 63 of 156
    This is real simple, "DOJ, go FK yourself!"
  • Reply 64 of 156
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    How many children did the DOJ murder at Waco in 1993? If I recall correctly, the DOJ murdered 19 children in that raid, about half of whom hadn't yet reached their 3rd birthday.
  • Reply 65 of 156
    If this is the case, then the NSC, CIA, FBI and HLS are killing children every day.

How? By abusing their powers to spy indiscriminately on the public, eventually forcing tech companies like Apple to encrypt their hardware in answer to the public's outcry.

But they don't get it. The Orwellian State is ultimately responsible for this situation.
  • Reply 66 of 156

After 9-11, we Americans were all so hysterical with fear that we started trading our freedoms for the promise of more security. Has there ever been a more euphemistically named piece of legislation than "USA Patriot Act?" It's positively Orwellian (or maybe just douchebagian... not sure GWB read Orwell) 

So I'm glad to see that nobody has so far posted a comment siding with the DOJ over this. That's kind of encouraging... 

• Reply 67 of 156
    "one day result in a dead child"

So what?

Every day 30.000 people die from starvation (mostly children) on this planet.
    On the same planet, every day, 40% of produced food are thrown to trash.

• Reply 68 of 156
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    bulk001 wrote: »
    I wish that they had thought about this before lying to congress, the American people and our allies. If they had worked out a transparent legal framework instead of trying to collect everything and hiding behind the FISA court and hidden laws no one can challenge people would have been ok with the government having limited, selective access. If a child does die, it will be in no small part because of the government (Dems and Republicans) and its alphabet soup of agencies who have destroyed the 4th amendment.

Ding Ding, we have a winner.

DOJ brought this upon themselves. The message the DOJ is sending is that they rely on too-easy methods of reactive crime solving and not enough proactive crime prevention.

Whatever happened to logging IMEI, MAC and ISMI numbers?
  • Reply 69 of 156
    I wonder if they tell the car companies kids will die because they're not using the latest possible tech no matter the Vogue cost. Idiots.
  • Reply 70 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

After 9-11, we Americans were all so hysterical with fear that we started trading our freedoms for the promise of more security. Has there ever been a more euphemistically named piece of legislation than "USA Patriot Act?" It's positively Orwellian (or maybe just douchebagian... not sure GWB read Orwell) 

So I'm glad to see that nobody has so far posted a comment siding with the DOJ over this. That's kind of encouraging... 

great video on where are we going: 

• Reply 71 of 156
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

I guess they don't mean that a child will die in Iraq, because that would never be tolerated.

• Reply 72 of 156
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Both of my children are LoJacked, child tracking software, part of our no curfew policy as long as we know where they are. So I don't see a problem here, all parents should be tracking their child's movements now, especially when the technology is so widely available and inexpensive. It's certainly a lot more effective than trying to determine their whereabouts with messaging. As far as tracking child predators over messaging, again the parents should have a handle on who their child is speaking too and what is being said, one of the stipulations for my child joining any social network is that I have access to their accounts until 16, this is a new world we are living in, such measures have to be taken. Trust has nothing to do with my motives. This is an internal family matter, the government has no jurisdiction and this argument of there's falls flatter than my chest, pre-boobie implants of course.

www.phonesheriff.com

• Reply 73 of 156
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

...all parents should be raising their children with personal responsibility now...

Eh, I’ll say fixed here.

• Reply 74 of 156
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eh, I’ll say fixed here.

Yes they should but that has nothing to do with keeping tabs on your child's whereabouts and online activities.

• Reply 75 of 156
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

The DOJ acts as if only too much privacy is dangerous!  Children die every day due to lack of privacy: bullies find out home addresses, kids' shameful secrets are exposed and they commit suicide, etc.  And lack of privacy that hurts parents can leave their kids in dangerous situations.  If lack of privacy is bad for society, it will kill kids in many indirect ways.

• Reply 76 of 156
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Unless Larry Page and Erich Smidt are copresent with them, every mother's child is at dire rick of death. 

• Reply 77 of 156
    They are so used to hacking our information, they now think it's their right. Unbelievable.
  • Reply 78 of 156
    Are the American government still wittering about having a back foot into iMessage so the can 'monitor' communications. If they are serious about child exploitation maybe the should set tougher goals for the mainstream media first as well as finding ways to actual catch these sick people rather than monitor them. Also they need to help the parents actually find out and heaven for bid talk to their children so they can prevent this happening. No it is the parents problem, they shoukd be responsible for their children and teach them that exchanging sexual images via social media is not a wise idea as all communications could putentially be hacked. Again it's the age old rule if you don't want it seen by everyone consider whether it should be on electronic media at all.
  • Reply 79 of 156
    spanading wrote: »
    Are the American government still wittering about having a back foot into iMessage so the can 'monitor' communications. If they are serious about child exploitation maybe the should set tougher goals for the mainstream media first as well as finding ways to actual catch these sick people rather than monitor them. Also they need to help the parents actually find out and heaven for bid talk to their children so they can prevent this happening. No it is the parents problem, they shoukd be responsible for their children and teach them that exchanging sexual images via social media is not a wise idea as all communications could putentially be hacked. Again it's the age old rule if you don't want it seen by everyone consider whether it should be on electronic media at all.

Sorry meant back door
  • Reply 80 of 156

Sounds like the US DOJ is full of stupid j@erks.  What a sick statement. They must be out of any reality.