Google's search deal with Apple expires in early 2015, could bring new default to Safari

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Google knows when I'm home, what temperature I prefer, whether or not my house is on fire, what I search for, and where I am at all times - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

So if you are at your office and all the ads suddenly display new homes, house insurance, fire alarm systems, sprinkler systems, fireproof data backup solutions etc you pretty much know you no longer have a house.

• Reply 22 of 92
    Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

We all saw what happened when you went on your own for maps...

Yeah, they spurred on innovation in a stagnant industry and terrified the established powers into improvement.

HOW AWFUL.

I am a die hard Apple fan but...

Come off it.

• Reply 23 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by darylayala View Post

So what is wrong with Google again?

97% of Google's revenue comes from ads.

Therefore their advertisers are their customers, not you.

Therefore they seek the highest possible ad revenue.

Therefore they target their ads are precisely as possible.

Therefore they require as much personal data on you as they can scrounge.

Therefore they track you and spy on you as hard as they think they can get away with.

Oh, and Google also dumps free software onto the market, which undercuts other smaller more vulnerable software companies that need to actually sell software to generate revenue.  Isn't that verging on anti-competitive monopolistic behavior?  You know, using massive revenue from their advertising business to develop software in totally unrelated fields, then dumping it on the market at no cost.  To crush less well-funded competition.  Sounds pretty evil to me.

• Reply 24 of 92

Not a whole lot of good choices there. I stopped using google search on all my devices and switched to bing. Yahoo is piss poor and Apple would not be in the right mind make it default. Bing is getting pretty close to google search - in good and bad ways. I just cannot stomach google's lack of corporate ethics, especially its covert acts to make their apps UX worst for iOS users. Apple was forced to create its own map because google crippled the turn-by-turn navigation of GM on iOS devices. I would not be surprised if Apple decide to stick with google - hay, it is a major business decision.

• Reply 25 of 92
    I am a die hard Apple fan but...

So, just an observation: this phrase frequently precedes criticism or naysaying, so much on these forums that it has lost all meaning and has become something of a joke. Just an observation.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Or maybe ?Search? Hey I can hope.

I really wish this were possible, without turning into the debacle that the launch of ?Maps was ... and the mess it still is. Albeit it does some things better than Google, but it's easy enough to use both apps side-by-side, and I routinely do.

But I fear Apple would have to buy a search engine company and pour money into it for a while before it's ready. I don't care for Bing, and Yahoo is awful. Like it or not, Google is the most reliable, comprehensive and accurate search engine out there. Apple can drop it, but most people are likely to opt right back in, especially since they have an option to opt out now and haven't. The fact Siri isn't using it now explains more than a few search results Siri has returned for me. I'll be changing that right after I hit Submit on this post. 

• Reply 27 of 92
    Tip for naysayers and haters: you'd get more attack value out of mentioning Ping instead of Maps, because Maps works pretty well. (Of course I wouldn't expect you android users to know that)
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Or maybe ?Search? Hey I can hope.

I think you've nailed it. The evidence would also agree.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/06/evidence-shows-apple-operating-a-mysterious-web-crawling-bot

The "You are not the product" mantra would fit right in with a new encrypted private searching service by Apple

• Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Sounds pretty evil to me.

Starving and killing puppies is evil. Cold blooded murder and beheadings are evil.

What you described is not evil, it is called business.

You are delusional is you think Apple and every other company out there is just happy go lucky "Peace Love and Happiness" when it comes to generating more revenue.

• Reply 30 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

So, you believed EVERYTHING that was written in that article? Really? You?

There was a time Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo! and others were not nearly as good with cloud computing as they are today. Apple is doing an incredible job with iCloud, in my opinion. My pictures sync with all of my devices quickly. So does my music, notes, calendar, browser bookmarks and e-books. 

There are many people who continue to choose to believe Steve Jobs was flawless even though they know the truth. These people will find supposed flaws in Apple products then write about how the products to do not stack up to Steve Jobs' vision of the products. These writings then hit the blogosphere to rapidly spread doubt about Apple.

I am not wearing blinders about Apple. There is always room from improvement in all products. 

Apple getting into search would put all search-related companies on immediate notice. Sure, there will be a multitude of criticism about "Apple Search" being inferior to other search engines, but I bet the other companies would step up their search games just like Google stepped up its Maps game when Apple Maps was released.

I hope Apple does get into the search business to remove one more Google piece from iOS and OS X.

So should we not believe this article because it also comes from The Information? Apple should stick to what it does best. There's a reason it partnered with IBM in the enterprise. Because there are areas in that space where IBM excels and Apple doesn't. I don't think Apple has the resources or experience to create an in house search engine. Remember that Apple ad 'for every yes there are 1,000 no's'? I think that no needs to apply here. Apple has PLENTY to do to improve existing software and services without starting another new massive project like this.
  • Reply 31 of 92

Yeah, they spurred on innovation in a stagnant industry and terrified the established powers into improvement.

HOW AWFUL.

Come off it.

How so? With the Maps shovelware known as Flyover?
  • Reply 32 of 92
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I vote for DuckDuckGo.

I have booted Google search and default to duck duck go already , spread the word and down with the evil google
  • Reply 33 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by malta View Post

Starving and killing puppies is evil. Cold blooded murder and beheadings are evil.

What you described is not evil, it is called business.

You are delusional is you think Apple and every other company out there is just happy go lucky "Peace Love and Happiness" when it comes to generating more revenue.

Whoa buddy.  Maybe it's time to switch to decaf.

If you recall, Google's motto is "Don't be evil."

And no, you don't need to kill puppies to be evil.

In fact, there appears to be a fairly lively debate on what "evil" is:

"The philosophical question of whether morality is absolute, relative, or illusory leads to questions about the nature of evil, with views falling into one of four opposed camps: moral absolutismamoralismmoral relativism, and moral universalism."

Make us all proud and read the full article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil

• Reply 34 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HOW AWFUL.

Come off it.

They spurred innovation?  Maps sucks.  You are delusional if you think anything but that.

Come off what?  Just stating a fact.  Apple has a lot to work on.

• Reply 35 of 92
    Quote:

They spurred innovation?  Maps sucks.  You are delusional if you think anything but that.

Come off what?  Just stating a fact.  Apple has a lot to work on.

I've never had Maps fail me. It's quite useful. Update your opinions, you're like the people who whine about iTunes bloat when you haven't used 11 or 12.

• Reply 36 of 92

Okay, enjoy your delusions.

Come off what?

If your argument had any actual merit, you wouldn’t need to add a qualifier at all.

• Reply 37 of 92
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member

I'll second DDG. It's not like you can't still do an occasional Goog or Bing search when you need to. 

• Reply 38 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by darylayala View Post

So what is wrong with Google again?

They are rapists.

• Reply 39 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I've never had Maps fail me. It's quite useful. Update your opinions, you're like the people who whine about iTunes bloat when you haven't used 11 or 12.

As an Apple supporter I still have the balls to call them out when they mis step.  Maps is still in a distant second place to Google maps.  Try both side by side you will see what I am talking about.

• Reply 40 of 92
    Quote:

Please Apple do not start your own search. We all saw what happened when you went on your own for maps...I am a die hard Apple fan but please stick with what you are good at. Even if it means using an evil search engine...

If I had to vote now I would say Bing would be OK. I just do not have a ton of experience with search outside of Google...

Ye of little faith. It won't be long until Apple's maps app is the best out there, give them a little time, considering it's relatively new, it's pretty damn impressive already, and better than the competition in many respects.

I'm sure they could do the same with search. I would use Apple Search for sure. Even if the results were slighter worse (for a while) I could sleep happy knowing that google wasn't raping my personal data.