Google's search deal with Apple expires in early 2015, could bring new default to Safari

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Just because something may make you feel good doesn't mean that it is.

I didn't say that it was, but in order for there to be true evil it has to be completely void of anything good, even if it's just a feeling, and that doesn't exist.

That's flawed logic.

True good exists in many sinners, yet we are not void of anything bad.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mpantone wrote: »

Nothing. With iOS 8, you are free to select the Safari search engine from Google, Yahoo, Bing, and DuckDuckGo.

But you haven't grasped the basic concepts of this discussion.

The first is that Apple can choose a different default search provider. Most iOS users don't change this setting, they will stick with the default, and most certainly won't surf to a URL to perform a search.

By changing the default search provider, it affects a large chunk of the ad revenue stream and who receives it. Search volume is a big deal for advertisers as they want more eyeballs.

Up until the Mozilla Foundation's recent announcement, they were getting some of Google's ad revenue as the default search provider for the Firefox browser. Starting in December, they will switch to Yahoo, and Google loses a bunch of searches.

Apple probably has some sort of similar ad revenue sharing deal with Google, set to expire next year. Unlike the Mozilla Foundation, Apple Inc. makes a big pile of money from other activities. 

In Apple's case, they don't need the Google search revenue. As long as they feel that an alternate search service is providing comparably good results for Apple/Safari users, they can switch away from Google as the default search provider. If that is the case, then it is entirely Google's game to lose. There's really no upside for Google to lose Apple and Mozilla's business.

Google is a one-trick pony, trying to get everyone to search so they A.) get the user behavior data to sell more AdWords, and B.) get eyeballs to look at the ads. The last thing on the planet Google wants you to do is to use a different search engine and to use Google services (like Gmail) with standalone clients (like Apple Mail) that display no ads or won't pump search inquiries into the Google database.

What search engine is as good as Google's? The thermonuclear war against Google was Steve Jobs war, not Tim Cooks. I use Google search for one reason only: I haven't found any other search engine as good or better than it.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    crosslad wrote: »
    Why does everyone think Apple couldn't provide its own search engine? It is the most valuable company in the world with a huge pile I cash. Who knows, Apple might have been working on search for years now? Also, remember there were search engines before Google and yet Google managed to get a foothold in the market. In addition aren't the patents/copywrites on Googles search algorithm about to expire?

It's not just about money. Big data is just not in Apple's DNA. I would rather see Apple focus on what they do best and I don't think search is it.
  • Reply 84 of 92

yup i also agreed with this point..

• Reply 85 of 92
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    That's flawed logic.

True good exists in many sinners, yet we are not void of anything bad.

I didn't say true good didn't exist. Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    rogifan wrote: »
    It's not just about money. Big data is just not in Apple's DNA. I would rather see Apple focus on what they do best and I don't think search is it.

Big data is not in Apple's DNA my ass ... to paraphrase Phil :D

That is absurd in the extreme. Everything Apple about is 'is big'. From stock value, to the market cap, to sales value, to profits, to money in the bank, to maps, to data centers, to solar energy, to retail stores, to retail stores sales per square foot ... heck even to a new HQ. Apple = BIG!

If Apple started their own search it doesn't have to be perfect over night. There is an easy option to switch search engines. Over time it would get better and better and the majority of iOS and OS X users would more than likely soon make it their default, only changing when needed for a specific need. In fact if it were my call I'd redesign the search interface so there is no need to drop back to change the engine, I'd default to Apple with a side bar or button offering the same exact search on Bing or Yahoo too (but not Google, for that you would have to go to settings and answer three hard questions lol ...)
  • Reply 87 of 92
    Big data is not in Apple's DNA my ass ... to paraphrase Phil :D

That is absurd in the extreme. Everything Apple about is 'is big'. From stock value, to the market cap, to sales value, to profits, to money in the bank, to maps, to data centers, to solar energy, to retail stores, to retail stores sales per square foot ... heck even to a new HQ. Apple = BIG!

If Apple started their own search it doesn't have to be perfect over night. There is an easy option to switch search engines. Over time it would get better and better and the majority of iOS and OS X users would more than likely soon make it their default, only changing when needed for a specific need. In fact if it were my call I'd redesign the search interface so there is no need to drop back to change the engine, I'd default to Apple with a side bar or button offering the same exact search on Bing or Yahoo too (but not Google, for that you would have to go to settings and answer three hard questions lol ...)

Being big doesn't mean one has a big mindset. I've seen plenty of guys 6'2"+, 250+ that were wussies. Apple got big in spite of themselves, and when that happens there's going to be some growing pains.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    mpantone wrote: »

Nothing. With iOS 8, you are free to select the Safari search engine from Google, Yahoo, Bing, and DuckDuckGo.

But you haven't grasped the basic concepts of this discussion.

The first is that Apple can choose a different default search provider. Most iOS users don't change this setting, they will stick with the default, and most certainly won't surf to a URL to perform a search.

By changing the default search provider, it affects a large chunk of the ad revenue stream and who receives it. Search volume is a big deal for advertisers as they want more eyeballs.

Up until the Mozilla Foundation's recent announcement, they were getting some of Google's ad revenue as the default search provider for the Firefox browser. Starting in December, they will switch to Yahoo, and Google loses a bunch of searches.

Apple probably has some sort of similar ad revenue sharing deal with Google, set to expire next year. Unlike the Mozilla Foundation, Apple Inc. makes a big pile of money from other activities. 

In Apple's case, they don't need the Google search revenue. As long as they feel that an alternate search service is providing comparably good results for Apple/Safari users, they can switch away from Google as the default search provider. If that is the case, then it is entirely Google's game to lose. There's really no upside for Google to lose Apple and Mozilla's business.

Google is a one-trick pony, trying to get everyone to search so they A.) get the user behavior data to sell more AdWords, and B.) get eyeballs to look at the ads. The last thing on the planet Google wants you to do is to use a different search engine and to use Google services (like Gmail) with standalone clients (like Apple Mail) that display no ads or won't pump search inquiries into the Google database.

There are no ads within the Gmail client, you might get ads as an email but ther not sent from Gmail. I have had the same Gmail account since 2000 that I use sspecifically for acquaintances, not a single piece of junk mail because the address isn't used on public sites. Also just install AdBlock Plus and you will never see any adds in Google Search or in YouTube videos.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    ecats wrote: »
    I stopped using Google when they switched to the horrible mobile layout on iOS (when they had large tabs for each google property.) Since then they've improved the experience, but the layout still lags behind Bing for providing unobstrusive search results. (After all I want the search results not some brand advertising.)

Once DDG became available I switched again for the enhanced privacy. In terms of search quality, they're all on par. Certainly each has sublte benefits that cause me to switch over manually when needed, but for the absolute majority of searches I'm finding what I'm looking for on any of the three search engines.
    I've finally found a replacement for gmail, it's a Russian company called yandex, all my email is now out of sight from the evil Google at least the ones where I'm not sending/receiving to/from Gmail users.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    I've finally found a replacement for gmail, it's a Russian company called yandex, all my email is now out of sight from the evil Google at least the ones where I'm not sending/receiving to/from Gmail users.

Your email is being tracked regardless of the service your using, there is no such thing as net privacy. Almost every country now spits all incoming net traffic into secure government computers, where the data is later mined and analyzed. You also chose Yandex, a known FSB controlled service, good luck with that whole I'm now safe from the clutches of Google, your jumping from the frying pan into the oven.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    relic wrote: »
    paul94544 wrote: »

Your email is being tracked regardless of the service your using, there is no such thing as net privacy. Almost every country now spits all incoming net traffic into secure government computers, where the data is later mined and analyzed. You also chose Yandex, a known FSB controlled service, good luck with that whole I'm now safe from the clutches of Google, your jumping from the frying pan into the oven.

Perhaps, but at least he should avoid the toxic hell-stew that's bubbling away in there. ????