Google's search deal with Apple expires in early 2015, could bring new default to Safari

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Oh, evil exists alright. I wouldn't describe it as perverted good; rather, the absence of good.

But the absence of good is only in the eye of the beholder. No matter how minute the good, whether it be good intentions, or a good feeling, it is always there.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Oh, evil exists alright. I wouldn't describe it as perverted good; rather, the absence of good.

But the absence of good is only in the eye of the beholder. No matter how minute the good, whether it be good intentions, or a good feeling, it is always there.

When people bully, murder or torture, talking of good intentions is itself perverted.

Though it sounds condescending, perhaps you have been fortunate enough not to have encountered the black depths of the human soul.

You can't divorce evil from man any more than you can good. We all possess far too much of the former and not nearly enough of the latter.

• Reply 63 of 92
    Why, I love google(search engine) why can't Siri optionally be set?
  • Reply 64 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Why, I love google(search engine) why can't Siri optionally be set?

Because the option isn't there.

• Reply 65 of 92

When people bully, murder or torture, talking of good intentions is itself perverted.

Though it sounds condescending, perhaps you have been fortunate enough not to have encountered the black depths of the human soul.

You can't divorce evil from man any more than you can good. We all possess far too much of the former and not nearly enough of the latter.

Evil has to be the extreme polar opposite of good. Nobody commits a evil act to feel bad. Even the most despicable act makes the evildoer feel good though be it in a perverted sense, so there isn't a absence of good at all.

Torture, and murder are deemed good if it saves the lives of countless others, yet bad when done by someone for self gratification.
  • Reply 66 of 92
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

As an Apple supporter I still have the balls to call them out when they mis step.  Maps is still in a distant second place to Google maps.  Try both side by side you will see what I am talking about.

I have with two phones giving directions in the car at the same time. I prefer Apple Maps.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    How so? With the Maps shovelware known as Flyover?

Maps provides directions and points of interest. It is not perfect, but no mapping solution is. For my in-town navigation needs, it works. And I wouldn't dismiss flyover as "shovelware." I used it to find a restaurant on the side a large building in the middle of a mall parking lot that had many store fronts on three sides. The restaurant was on the side facing away from the street. Flyover's 3D mode lets me rotate the scene and find the restaurant as opposed to streetview, which only rendered the side of the building facing the street.

Got any more weak, hand-waving dismissals?
  • Reply 68 of 92
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Evil has to be the extreme polar opposite of good. Nobody commits a evil act to feel bad. Even the most despicable act makes the evildoer feel good though be it in a perverted sense, so there isn't a absence of good at all.

Torture, and murder are deemed good if it saves the lives of countless others, yet bad when done by someone for self gratification.

Just because something may make you feel good doesn't mean that it is.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    Just because something may make you feel good doesn't mean that it is.

I didn't say that it was, but in order for there to be true evil it has to be completely void of anything good, even if it's just a feeling, and that doesn't exist.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    I found it funny they used Spotlight to search for "Appleinsider", and on the app store it shows only a 2-star rating out of 5 with 58 reviews. LOL
  • Reply 71 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

+1. Am already using it in all my browsers. The less Google we have, the better.

Ironically you don't have that with Duck Duck Go because its search is powered by Google.

Yahoo is Bing so you might as well just use Bing.

The only thing I use Google for is if I want to refine my search to topics within the past year which none of the other engines seem to do.

• Reply 72 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Ye of little faith. It won't be long until Apple's maps app is the best out there, give them a little time, considering it's relatively new, it's pretty damn impressive already, and better than the competition in many respects.

I'm sure they could do the same with search. I would use Apple Search for sure. Even if the results were slighter worse (for a while) I could sleep happy knowing that google wasn't raping my personal data.

In New Zealand Apple Maps easily out does Google Maps. There's a couple of quirks but frankly Google Maps is far worse.

• Reply 73 of 92
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What's stopping anyone from opening Safari (or Chrome) and typing www.google.com in the address bar?

Nothing. With iOS 8, you are free to select the Safari search engine from Google, Yahoo, Bing, and DuckDuckGo.

But you haven't grasped the basic concepts of this discussion.

The first is that Apple can choose a different default search provider. Most iOS users don't change this setting, they will stick with the default, and most certainly won't surf to a URL to perform a search.

By changing the default search provider, it affects a large chunk of the ad revenue stream and who receives it. Search volume is a big deal for advertisers as they want more eyeballs.

Up until the Mozilla Foundation's recent announcement, they were getting some of Google's ad revenue as the default search provider for the Firefox browser. Starting in December, they will switch to Yahoo, and Google loses a bunch of searches.

Apple probably has some sort of similar ad revenue sharing deal with Google, set to expire next year. Unlike the Mozilla Foundation, Apple Inc. makes a big pile of money from other activities. 

In Apple's case, they don't need the Google search revenue. As long as they feel that an alternate search service is providing comparably good results for Apple/Safari users, they can switch away from Google as the default search provider. If that is the case, then it is entirely Google's game to lose. There's really no upside for Google to lose Apple and Mozilla's business.

Google is a one-trick pony, trying to get everyone to search so they A.) get the user behavior data to sell more AdWords, and B.) get eyeballs to look at the ads. The last thing on the planet Google wants you to do is to use a different search engine and to use Google services (like Gmail) with standalone clients (like Apple Mail) that display no ads or won't pump search inquiries into the Google database.

• Reply 74 of 92

Nothing at all, which is why I'm sticking with it.

• Reply 75 of 92
    I just hope that whichever service they choose updates their interface to actually be competitive with Google's, particularly with regard to image searches. As much as I hate Google, I have to admit that they do have the superior image search interface. Bing is a close second, but Microsoft employs lackluster designers compared to Google. Yahoo and DDG? They're OK for web searches, but forget about image-based ones.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Tip for naysayers and haters: you'd get more attack value out of mentioning Ping instead of Maps, because Maps works pretty well. (Of course I wouldn't expect you android users to know that)

i use apple maps instead of google maps here in korea and have not been let down once, whereas google maps has been less than helpful plenty of times. but for the most part people use Naver- a korean google knock off full of crap ads just like google.

when i was in the states and europe i only used apple maps- always worked fine for me

• Reply 77 of 92
    dont forget that Yahoo is powered by Bing, so practically it is only one search provider.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    darylayala wrote: »
    So what is wrong with Google again?

Nothing if you would rather get your search results based upon who pays the most rather than the most relavent search result.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    Why does everyone think Apple couldn't provide its own search engine? It is the most valuable company in the world with a huge pile I cash. Who knows, Apple might have been working on search for years now? Also, remember there were search engines before Google and yet Google managed to get a foothold in the market. In addition aren't the patents/copywrites on Googles search algorithm about to expire?
  • Reply 80 of 92
    appexappex Posts: 687member

The best search engine is Google, simply because almost 100% of people use it.