Android tablets at Best Buy, Target, Amazon, Walmart found to include major security flaws, malware

Comments

• Reply 61 of 177
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Bottom line: They expect a cheap tablet. They don't expect a harmful tablet.

I would say that that's their problem for not being aware. 

Those types of people have always existed and they will continue to exist. If this were a previous century, those same people would probably be lining up to buy snake oil from a traveling salesperson.

• Reply 62 of 177
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The fact that you blame the victims of Google's Android garbage output only says something bad about what kind of person you are. 

Were you born a Richard, or did it take years to hone your trade?
  • Reply 63 of 177
    ... but that wan't the argument.

That IS your argument. You soar they get what they pay for, which means you're condoning the "purchase" of malware" if one decides to pay 1/4 what you would for CE. That's fucked up.
  • Reply 64 of 177
    Quote:

That IS your argument. You soar they get what they pay for, which means you're condoning the "purchase" of malware" if one decides to pay 1/4 what you would for CE. That's fucked up.

Wrong.

My argument has always been that these people aren't victims. You get what you pay for. Malware included.

If you want to do internet banking or other sensitive data actions then you shouldn't expect to pay $69 to get the same functions as an iPad. That's like telling a Formula One driver that a stock Lexus will do the same job. { Now THAT is fucked up }

How smart do you really have to be to realize that there must be risks involved if you buy something for $69 to do the job of something that should cost $499. Anyone with a brain should realize there is a possibility of all sorts of problems when you are given the choice of a $69 device when top quality devices cost $499.

Buy it for Youtube and movies... it'll be just fine.

• Reply 65 of 177
    [quote] The firm explained that the device is "pre-rooted," as "it includes 'su' installed by the factory meaning an attacker is given unfettered access to the system without having to run an exploit to gain this access" and that it "disables by default the security configuration setting that protects the tablet from installing apps from malicious third-party sources.[/quote]

This is just wrong, 'su' stands for super user, and allows functions that the OS normally forbids, but not without the user first giving authorization, so no a hacker would not have unfettered access.
  • Reply 66 of 177
    Wrong.

My argument has always been that these people aren't victims. You get what you pay for. Malware included.

Exactly, you think they deserve the malware. Thank you for stating it all on a single line. I saw no one deserves any malware on a device they buy from a corporation.
  • Reply 67 of 177

...but Apple is losing massive amounts of market share to Android tablets.  No one is buying iPads anymore because Android has tablets just as good as iPads for just a fraction of the price of an iPad.  What can we attribute Apple's failure to?  Charging too much money simply to make profits.  All consumers would much rather own a $50 Android tablet than pay $300 for an Apple iPad.  Because of Apple's stubbornness of not making cheaper products, Apple's iPad business is on the verge of collapse.  Sell Apple.

/s

All the news media and Wall Street is concerned about is increasing market share at any cost.  High-quality products and good customer service don't seem to count for anything nowadays.  Wall Street claims iPads last too long.  Wall Street says Apple must build products that fall apart faster so they can sell more of them using a faster replacement cycle.  There are too many jackasses on Wall Street trying to ruin the ecology just to make a few extra bucks.  Those Android tablets are junk and they're going directly to recycling or landfill.  Even though they're cheap they're not worth what people are paying for them.  I wouldn't even give them to a child because they're probably toxic.

• Reply 68 of 177
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Exactly, you think they deserve the malware. Thank you for stating it all on a single line. I saw no one deserves any malware on a device they buy from a corporation.

I think that it comes with the territory.

When somebody signs up for a Facebook type site or a Google type site, then they accept that their private information will be shared and they will be tracked.

I believe that malware pre-installed on cheap Android tablets is not surprising at all, and the people who buy some super cheap, crappy device should accept malware and security flaws as a normal thing.

• Reply 69 of 177
    Quote:

... and I see nothing wrong with what I said.

Malware only affects people who want to use the device for data sensitive operations.

If you think you can do online banking on a $69 device then you deserve everything you get.

• Reply 70 of 177
    solipsismy wrote: »

The claim of malware on a device at purchase was made early in the article, but no proof was given. Only vulnerabilities were mentioned afterwards.
  • Reply 71 of 177
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I disagree.

Shame on Android users for being cheap bums and demanding cheap, useless junk. And shame on Android users for actually buying said junk, contributing to massive amounts of waste and pollution, since most of the junk products will probably soon end up in a landfill somewhere. Shame on Android users for dragging the whole tech industry down into the gutter.

The retailers are merely in it to sell products and to make a buck. That there is demand for such garbage says more about the people who purchase such junk, rather than those who sell such junk.

You are so arrogant.  The world must look interesting to you sitting on top of your high-horse.  You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.  Did you know Apple shoveled out complete garbage in the 1990s and was on the verge of bankruptcy?  Are you even old enough to know that?  Did you know Apple used leftover 68040 boards and parts and crammed PowerPC chips on them and tried to claim they were good computers?  The serial ports were so jacked up, they could not function beyond 9,600 baud.  The PowerBooks were made from cheap plastic and failing motherboards.  They were complete crap.  Apple did a fantastic job dragging down the tech industry in the 90s with the crap they sold to people.  They even did it in the 2000s, even with Steve Jobs, with the "flower power and dalmatian" iMacs, the G4 Cube, iPod Hi-Fi, leaking Power Mac G5s, and using worthless DVD-RAM drives instead of the more popular CD-RW drives.  Jobs even admitted his mistake on that one.  Funny that you are so blind to Apple's duds.

Did you know that many Android users are Mac users, but prefer the ability to customize their phone (and know how to use them), so they choose an Android phone instead of an iPhone?  They know far more about tech than you ever could.  Since you assume Android users are cheap bums, my friend just bought an iMac Retina 5K with the i7, top graphics, and 1TB of flash.  He knows what he needs to run his business.  Are you going to call him a cheap bum after he bought a $3,799 iMac only because he prefers an Android phone?  I didn't think so.

• Reply 72 of 177
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Did you know Apple used leftover 68040 boards and parts and crammed PowerPC chips on them and tried to claim they were good computers?  The serial ports were so jacked up, they could not function beyond 9,600 baud.  The PowerBooks were made from cheap plastic and failing motherboards.  They were complete crap.  

There’s a documentary that touches on this in the iTunes Store.

...the G4 Cube, iPod Hi-Fi...

Hey, now, the Cube led the way for the Mac Mini and current Mac Pro. And I still want an iPod Hi-Fi. 

...leaking Power Mac G5s

Oh yeah. Safe water cooling is a pipe dream. That was a terrible decision. I think that model had a 100% eventual failure rate. On the other hand, IBM’s failure to make chips that didn’t require it shoved Apple into Intel’s arms...

EDIT: NO I DID NOT INTEND THAT WATER COOLING JOKE THAT’S GREAT THOUGH

• Reply 73 of 177
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The claim of malware on a device at purchase was made early in the article, but no proof was given. Only vulnerabilities were mentioned afterwards.

1) Proof is irrelevant, it's about the elitist comments in this thread. It's absurd to think that if someone buys CE at a major retailer that you consider to be inferior that the buyer deserves to have malware on their device.

2) We've seen malware preinstalled before. Even on iPods, which would infect Window's based system when mounted. Oh, that's an Apple products so those customers can be called victims. /s
  • Reply 74 of 177

Malware only affects people who want to use the device for data sensitive operations.

If you think you can do online banking on a $69 device then you deserve everything you get.

Oh, so the malware is now fine to have so long as you don't do any online banking? :no:
  • Reply 75 of 177
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Apart from the pirate modified copy of angry birds? Or did you miss that? Regardless, I hope the public sue the shit out of these retailers for putting them in harms way. Or, do you think they can stand back like Microsoft and just say "you need antivirus"?
  • Reply 76 of 177

Oh, so the malware is now fine to have so long as you don't do any online banking? image

This could be a great new marketing angle for Samsung.

BUY OUR TABLETS. YOU CAN’T DO ANYTHING ON THEM YOU’D WANT TO DO!

• Reply 77 of 177
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member

Nice to see you sitting back on your high horse whilst others suffer. I assume you are also part of the camp who watch starving Africans and say "meh, they are at fault because they choose to stay there".
  • Reply 78 of 177
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I don't get it here.

I bought some "Oakley" sunglasses for $5 from a street vendor in downtown Bangkok years ago. A few hours later while boarding the plane to go home, they broke. They just snapped. $5 for a few hours of use down the drain.

Now, somewhere in China, a "corporation" built those crappy knockoffs. I knew I wasn't getting the real thing. Corporations like those don't care about their products being safe or useful. I wanted something cheap and I got (less than) what I paid for.

I'm not a victim. I'm just an idiot.
  • Reply 79 of 177

While Google has released patches for both flaws--in addition to Android's Heartbleed and Futex bugs...

Nice to see you finally acknowledging this Daniel after being caught in yet another a lie in your anti-Android diatribe masquerading as an article previously....

• Reply 80 of 177
    The thing is...these are targeted at low income people.

They don't have money or data worth stealing. :rolleyes:

A few dimes each from a few million people adds up to a tidy sum.