Android tablets at Best Buy, Target, Amazon, Walmart found to include major security flaws, malware

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 177
    relic wrote: »
    ...people here just can't fathom that concept because it's Apple or die. Apple is just another computer manufacture to me, I use them when their products serve a purpose, which means I don't just buy something simply because the name happens to be a brand I like.

That's my point. I didn't imply you disn't use Apple products, I stated you get down on others for using them. You saying you've bought some whatever device with some obscure version of Linux doesnt make your choices better than others that already know they prefer Apple's customer service, build quality, OSes and ecosystem for their consumer devices.

For example, there are probably different brands of TVs that I might be willing to pay extra for if their interface or port setup is slightly better than what I have now, or something less expensive that is some no name brand that does a great job with all that including quality, but I'm quite happy with my TV so when I do get a new one I will likely start with that brand first because (not in spite of) already having a longstanding positive experience. I certainly won't buy every TV and switch them off the wall every couple days.
  • Reply 162 of 177
  • Reply 163 of 177
    solipsismy wrote: »
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That's my point. I didn't imply you disn't use Apple products, I stated you get down on others for using them. You saying you've bought some whatever device with some obscure version of Linux doesnt make your choices better than others that already know they prefer Apple's customer service, build quality, OSes and ecosystem for their consumer devices.

There are probably different brands of TVs that I might be willing to pay extra for if their interface or port setup is slightly better than what I have now, or something less expensive that is some no name brand that does a great job with all that including quality, but I'm quite happy with my TV so when I do get a new one I will likely start with that brand first because (not in spite of) already having a longstanding positive experience. I certainly won't buy every TV and switch them off the wall every couple days.

Replying to your own post; narcissistic much?
  • Reply 164 of 177
    Replying to your own post; narcissistic much?

I would have gone with "Solipsistic , much?"
  • Reply 165 of 177
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That's my point. I didn't imply you disn't use Apple products, I stated you get down on others for using them.

I'd like to see one of these comments where Relic "gets down" on people for using Apple products.

I'm not saying they don't exist... I'm saying that I have never read them that way, unless there is a specific post that I might have missed.

• Reply 166 of 177
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I'd like to see one of these comments where Relic "gets down" on people for using Apple products.

I'm not saying they don't exist... I'm saying that I have never read them that way, unless there is a specific post that I might have missed

It doesn't matter, people have their oppinions and there is nothing you can do to change them. I will say that his claims are far fetched as I really don't care what kind of computer people use, especailly Apple products. If there is a post out there where I did say something even remotely to this affect, it wasn't my attention or was taken out of context.
  • Reply 167 of 177
    Why did you guy/gals spend four days arguing over the "cheapness" "get what you pay for/deserve" instead of the merits of the claims by the security firm.

1) Test key signed android. This claim said that someone could create a Trojan update. Not true. Updates come two ways in android: over the air, and manually through zip files in recovery mode (think DFU with a menu for ios). The likelihood of these tablets getting any OTA support is nil and a manual update isn't for the faint of heart. So this being a security flaw is on par with one being able to install an iOS jailbreak. Meaning, those of us that can are smart enough to know how to avoid some crap update.

2) USB debugging with root requires USB drivers, android SDK (or at least adb) and knowledge of a command line. That or software that's already installed on their PC/Mac to utilize this. Even then, you still need the drivers which aren't installed by Windows automatically.

3) Screen resolution has nothing to do with security. This is just flaimbate.

4) The Target tablets mentions two "known vulnerabilities" (futex and fakeid). Futex is a Linux bug, not specific to Android and prevalent is most android devices (its how I rooted my note 10.1 2014). FakeID is similar but doesn't give the person root access, but instead impersonates another app. Both of these bugs require downloading apps from non-google play stores/internet. The "latter" tablet comes with "unknown sources" app installations because this is how android is designed. Default android only allows apps to be installed from Google Play. Since this tablet isn't a Google apps sanctioned tablet, the app stores that it does have won't function without disabling this feature. This tablet is one that shouldn't be sold since most of the Android malware you hear about in the news comes from these crazy app stores.

4) The zeki tablet is like the Mach Speed one prior and should also be banned.

5) Again, USB debugging is useless without drivers and ADB.

6) Preloaded with SU is pointless as well since this app is for controlling what gets root privileges and what doesn't. By default, all SU apps deny root access unless permission is given by the user. Remove SU and root goes with it. This is Linux 101. If they are referring to the binary su, then you may have a problem depending on what binary is installed. Su comes with standard android but it doesn't allow apps to lower their uids to 0 (root). The article didn't say what version of SU so this is most likely flambait again.

7) Again with the USB debugging and bugs that are only recently patched and that can't be exploited when downloading apps via Google Play.

8) Security backdoor is a red flag, but not enough for them to tell us. Looking at bluebox's actual blog post, and it seems this back door is simply su. See above.

9) Angry Birds preinstallation is a red flag. It's first theft and copyright infringement and second it's insecure since you most likely have no clue that it didn't come from Rovio. This tablet should be avoided or at the very least have Angry birds uninstalled. These tablets are ripe with preinstalled software and aren't Google play certified. Avoid them like the plague.

To answer someone else's question about installing Cyanogen mod for these devices, the answer is generally no. These processors have binary drivers that aren't available to Cyanogenmod, and vary so much that getting the blobs and rebuilding android for them would be too time consuming. It would be best to spend the development resources on fixing the device already supported by cyanogenmod.

Finally, there is a lot of bickering going on about these vulnerabilities but in reality, the only tablets of concern are those that don't have Google play sanctioned on them. Any android device that uses a third party app store that's not from Amazon should be avoided. But saying that they were better off getting an ios device and ignoring all of the vulnerabilities that are used to jailbreak iOS is plainly ignorance or stupidity. No system is truly safe no matter how much you think it is. These operating systems are made by humans and we as humans are flawed, thus our software and hardware will be flawed as well.
  • Reply 168 of 177

I'm not saying they don't exist... I'm saying that I have never read them that way, unless there is a specific post that I might have missed.

I'm not going to look back through years of posts to prove it, so just assume it's been stricken from the record until such time I can supply proof.
  • Reply 169 of 177
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

Any android device that uses a third party app store that's not from Amazon should be avoided.

So I should get rid of my Samsung phone with it's version of crappy Android then?

Seeing as how it "uses a third party app store that's not from Amazon".

Thanks for clearing that up, the number one Android vendor is crap.

• Reply 170 of 177
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    hill60 wrote: »
    So I should get rid of my Samsung phone with it's version of crappy Android then?

Mind sharing which Samsung phone you use?
  • Reply 171 of 177
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Of course not. You can very easily get your apps from Amazon on your Samsung phone.
  • Reply 172 of 177

With the exception of some Samsung created apps, you can skip the Samsung store entirely as those apps are both on Amazon's store and Google Play. Note that if you use Amazon's app store, you have to enable third party app installation. This comment was more garnered toward using Amazon's app store on their Kindle devices since they don't come with Google Play.
  • Reply 173 of 177
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Mind sharing which Samsung phone you use?

Quote:

With the exception of some Samsung created apps, you can skip the Samsung store entirely as those apps are both on Amazon's store and Google Play. Note that if you use Amazon's app store, you have to enable third party app installation. This comment was more garnered toward using Amazon's app store on their Kindle devices since they don't come with Google Play.

So by doing that Android becomes vulnerable to attack, like my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4.

Thanks for confirming that ANDROID IS CRAP.

• Reply 174 of 177

So by doing that Android becomes vulnerable to attack, like my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4.

Actually, no. Enabling third party apps doesn't allow any app to install other apps. They still have to be confirmed on each installation. Also, those apps are still scanned by Google to help ensure consumers don't naively install rouge apps that are insecure. Now, if you think that having third party apps being able to be installed upon the user's request is a security breach, then you should be happy to know that your Samsung device comes with this option turned off by default. Samsung has modified android so only its and Google play's apps can be installed automatically. All other app stores have to use the third party option that forces every app and every update be confirmed by the user. Looks like Android isn't crap, you're just willfully ignorant.
  • Reply 175 of 177
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Why do you own something that you hate so much? Also you should really install the MiUI ROM on your SG4, it will breath new life into you phone. I can almost guarantee that your going to like it, unless your just a grumpy person and hate things for the sake of hating.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2486041
  • Reply 176 of 177
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why do you own something that you hate so much? Also you should really install the MiUI ROM on your SG4, it will breath new life into you phone. I can almost guarantee that your going to like it, unless your just a grumpy person and hate things for the sake of hating.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2486041

I put the Google Play version on, Samsung Kies and Smart Switch stopped working rendering it virtually useless as a back up phone.

I was given a HTC M8 the other day, the microphone doesn't work.

• Reply 177 of 177
    Quote:

...don't naively install rouge apps...

I thought it was only Apple that supports Product [Red].

It's the rouge apps that let you steal stuff, you know, so you're not like locked into Apple iTunes.

The main selling point of crappy Android in phone shops around the world.