Apple's iOS 8 distribution back on track, now on 60% of devices

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Earlier this week, Apple revealed fresh statistics on iOS 8 distribution as seen through the iOS App Store, saying its latest mobile operating system is now running on 60 percent of iPhones and iPads.

Apple broke down iOS version distribution in a recent update to its developer webpage, noting iOS 8 now runs on a majority of devices registered with the App Store. At 60 percent, the company's latest-generation operating system gained four percentage points from Nov. 11.

The gain again comes from operators using iOS 7, share of which fell to 35 percent over the same period, down from 40 percent. Devices running iOS 6 or below account for 5 percent of App Store registrants, the same number seen two weeks ago.

It appears Apple's iOS 8 is back on track after experiencing stagnation in early October following the botched iOS 8.0.1 update that accidentally disabled cellular connectivity and Touch ID operation on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus handsets. Following initially strong uptake in line with previous major iOS releases, adoption slowed and at one point distribution grew only one percent over a two-week stretch.

Apple released iOS 8.1 last month, activating touchless Apple Pay transactions for iPhone 6 owners and online purchasing for older devices. The most current version, iOS 8.1.1, was recently issued to patch bugs and improve performance for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    I really wish I had not updated my 4S to iOS 8. It is now horribly slow, and key functionality is severely degraded. Is there any way to go back?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    Your 4S is likely well off-contract by now; why not simply upgrade your iPhone instead?

For the record, we ran iOS 8 on my wife's 4S before doing the same, and didn't notice any issues or slowdowns that were significant enough to notice. To be fair, my wife is a light user and had plenty of free space -- I've noticed that those with lots of free space (as with Macs) seem to experience smoother operation.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

I really wish I had not updated my 4S to iOS 8. It is now horribly slow, and key functionality is severely degraded. Is there any way to go back?

No.

• Reply 4 of 44

Touchwood, no reboots so far in 8.1.1. And apps seem to be getting more stable.

• Reply 5 of 44
    I wonder if they'll stop incrementing the whole number when they get to 10.0. IOS X sounds like a nice fit.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    chasm wrote: »
    Your 4S is likely well off-contract by now; why not simply upgrade your iPhone instead?
    Beacause I don't relish the thought of shelling out over $900 (unlocked iPhone 6, 128 GB, $850 + 8% tax) any sooner than I have to. Even if I got one subsidized, it would still be about $500. This isn't pocket change.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:

iPad Mini 1 is in the same boat. boo.

• Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I wonder if they'll stop incrementing the whole number when they get to 10.0. IOS X sounds like a nice fit.

At least there's no confusion with the current version numbering. If they stop at 10, then one day, we'll have 10.10, which many will construe, quite reasonably, as the same thing as 10.1.

If they were to use 10-1 or 10/1, this problem would be solved. Or just carry on as they are, which would be much the simplest thing.

On the other hand, using 10.1, 10.10 etc. will create fodder for forum-users all over the world.

• Reply 9 of 44
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,625member

Not my iPad Air!  Still on 7.x.x (don't really know, don't really care).

• Reply 10 of 44
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    tokyojimu: I should have added in my previous post that a specific feature of the iOS 8.1.1 minor update was to improve performance on the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. If you haven't upgraded to it yet, you should do that as well.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    tokyojimu wrote: »

Yes, assuming you saved your blob, and if you don't know what a blob is in reference to your iOS update then you definitely didn't back it up.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »
    Beacause I don't relish the thought of shelling out over $900 (unlocked iPhone 6, 128 GB, $850 + 8% tax) any sooner than I have to. Even if I got one subsidized, it would still be about $500. This isn't pocket change.

A couple suggestions: One, replace your old iPhone with a newer used one from eBay for much less then a new one. Or, two, jailbreak your current phone so you can roll back to an earlier version.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why did any device with an A5 chip get iOS 8 if it performs that poorly on it? A user shouldn't have to shell out for a new device or jailbreak because a software update made using their phone a worse experience. That's on Apple not the user.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

If cost is an issue for you I advise the following:

1). Never update to the latest software version until you’ve given it a week or two and read the reviews for your model.

2). Back up your SHSH blobs so that you retain the ability to downgrade the OS if you require. This can only be done BEFORE you upgrade. Instructions can be found here: http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-save-shsh-blobs-for-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch-3534383/

If you already have upgraded you only have two options:

1). Wait for Apple to refine the software. This will generally improve the situation but is not always guaranteed to occur.

2). Upgrade your phone the cheapest way possible by purchasing one that you can afford on somewhere like eBay then sell your old one, using the same method, in order to help recoup costs.

I myself follow this strategy and find that having the latest iOS device cost me approximately $300 per year to use. If you need to rationalise that, that’s less than a dollar a day, per year, to have the latest iDevice.

I think ownership of these fully justifies that cost.

• Reply 15 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Oh, spare us the bullshit. You can get a 5, a 5C, or a 5S for cheap, all of which would be a huge upgrade over your 4S (yes, even the 5). Stop pretending you're either stuck with suffering with an ancient device, or spending a grand. And how the hell is it $500 subsidized? Oh yeah, cause you picked the most expensive model in order to make your silly "point". No one forced you to upgrade a 4 yr old device to the newest OS. And you should feel lucky about your tax rate. Where I am, it's 14%. 

PS- Not to mention, I've heavily used a 4S on iOS8 and you're greatly exaggerating. 

• Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why did any device with an A5 chip get iOS 8 if it performs that poorly on it? A user shouldn't have to shell out for a new device or jailbreak because a software update made using their phone a worse experience. That's on Apple not the user.

The problem is many customers don't care about performance. They just care about ownership of Apple products at the lowest price. Go look at the Asian markets for proof of this.

iOS 8 works like a charm on earlier devices. It just doesn't work fastHowever, many people don't give a damn about fast and Apple is catering to that rather large category when they do this.

Having customers on the latest, most secure software, is probably also preferable for both those customers as well as Apple. If performance was important to these people then they would have upgraded their hardware instead of running a phone many generations old.

If having a fast device is an issue, then don't upgrade before reviewing the possible effect on your device.

All bases are covered here. Updates are not enforced but are decided by the customer who's responsibility it is to know the effects. Security is (rightly) given the priority, with the speed freaks getting what they want in the traditional way - by spending money.

• Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

And you should feel lucky about your tax rate. Where I am, it's 14%. 

Ouch.

Where is that?

• Reply 18 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Ouch.

Where is that?

Canada. And income tax is around 40%. Thank God I put my Apple stock in a TFSA, so all the gains have been tax-free. 

• Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Canada. And income tax is around 40%. Thank God I put my Apple stock in a TFSA, so all the gains have been tax-free. 

Well, console yourself with the fact that, like all governments, they've worked exceedingly hard for your hard-earned money.

Oh, wait...

• Reply 20 of 44
    slurpy wrote: »

Good lord. The "b-b-but Canada has free healthcare" crowd failed to mention that little gem.

No such thing as a free lunch.