PC makers may beat Apple to the punch with new 'fingerprint ID' sensors built into notebook touchpad

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    solipsismy wrote: »

Your link: http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

iPhone 6

One touch to pay with Touch ID. Now paying in stores happens in one natural motion — there’s no need to open an app or even wake your display thanks to the innovative Near Field Communication antenna in iPhone 6. To pay, just hold your iPhone near the contactless reader with your finger on Touch ID. You don’t even have to look at the screen to know your payment information was successfully sent. A subtle vibration and beep let you know.

Watch the demo

From this I infer that both NFC and TouchID are needed to make a Apple Pay transaction in a store.

Apple Watch

Double-click to pay and go. You can pay with Apple Watch — just double?click the button next to the Digital Crown and hold the face of your Apple Watch near the contactless reader. A gentle pulse and beep confirm that your payment information was sent.

Coming Early 2015

From this I infer that the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and the Apple Watch all have NFC chips and NFC antennas.

Setup is simple.

Passbook already stores your boarding passes, tickets, coupons, and more. Now it can store your credit and debit cards, too. To get started, you can add the credit or debit card from your iTunes account to Passbook by simply entering the card security code.

To add a card on iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3, go into Settings, open Passbook & Apple Pay, and select “Add Credit or Debit Card”. On iPhone, you can also just open Passbook, then swipe down and tap the plus sign. From there, use your iSight camera to enter the card information or type it in manually. The card you had stored in iTunes is your default payment card, but you can always switch it in Settings.

From this I infer that the iPhone 6 (or iPhone 6 Plus) is used to add credit cards for the Apple watch -- The Apple watch assumes it is connected to an iPhone, Apple Pay requires TouchID for authorization, Apparently you use TouchID on your iPhone 5S, 6 or 6 Plus to pre-authorize TouchID on the Apple Watch as long as the Apple remains on your wrist.

More secure payments.

Every time you hand over your credit or debit card to pay, your card number and identity are visible. With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number, along with a transaction-specific dynamic security code, is used to process your payment. So your actual credit or debit card numbers are never shared by Apple with merchants or transmitted with payment.

From this I infer that the Apple Pay Secure Element chip is associated with the NFC chip on the Apple Watch, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus -- and that this is different from the TouchID Secure Enclave in the A7, A8, A8X APU on the iPhone 5S. iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus (and new iPads with TouchID).

Your link: http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/

I've been through that video at least 7 times ... lots of generalities ... some specifics ... several contradictions ... If you take the time to go through it again and cite specific times -- I'll do the same ...  You show me yours and I'll show you mine!

Your link: https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/09/09Apple-Unveils-Apple-Watch-Apples-Most-Personal-Device-Ever.html

Taking advantage of its location on your wrist, Apple Watch provides timely information that can be viewed at a glance. Smart Replies and dictation let you respond quickly to messages, and with Handoff, you can start a message on your Apple Watch and continue where you left off on your iPhone. Swipe up from the watch face for Glances that quickly show you information you care about, such as your current location, stocks or your next meeting. Pressing the side button brings up Friends, a view of your favorite people, so you can contact them quickly and easily. Digital Touch allows you to send a sketch, a gentle tap, an audio message through Walkie Talkie or even your own heartbeat. Apple Watch lets you interact quickly and conveniently with the world around you, so you can pay for coffee using Apple Pay™,* board a plane with a Passbook® boarding pass, control your Apple TV® or get directions.

From this I infer that the iPhone 5S, 6 or 6 Plus is connected via BLE to the Apple Watch -- The Apple watch assumes it is connected to an iPhone, Apple Pay requires TouchID for authorization, Apparently you use TouchID on your iPhone 5S, 6 or 6 Plus to pre-authorize TouchID on the Apple Watch as long as the Apple remains on your wrist.

Pricing & Availability

Apple Watch will be available in three collections. Apple Watch, with a polished or space black stainless steel case and a choice of straps; Apple Watch Sport, with a space gray or silver anodized aluminum case and Sport Band; and Apple Watch Edition, with an 18-karat rose or yellow gold case and a choice of straps exclusive to this collection. Apple Watch straps include the Sport Band in black, blue, green, pink and white; the Classic Buckle in black and midnight blue; the Leather Loop in bright blue, light brown and stone; the Modern Buckle in midnight blue, brown, soft pink, rose gray and bright red; the Milanese Loop in stainless steel; and the Link Bracelet in brushed stainless steel and polished space black. Apple Watch will be available in early 2015 starting at $349 (US). Apple Watch is compatible with iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus running the latest version of iOS 8.

From this I infer that the Apple Watch can be used with with iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus for everything -- except that using Apple Pay on the Apple Watch requires the TouchID authorization from iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus.

Your link: https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/09/09Apple-Announces-Apple-Pay.html

Transforming Mobile Payments with an Easy, Secure & Private Way to Pay

CUPERTINO, California?September 9, 2014?Apple® today announced Apple Pay™, a new category of service that will transform mobile payments with an easy, secure and private way to pay. Apple Pay works with iPhone® 6 and iPhone 6 Plus through a groundbreaking NFC antenna design, a dedicated chip called the Secure Element, and the security and convenience of Touch ID™. Apple Pay is easy to set up, so hundreds of millions of users can simply add their credit or debit card on file from their iTunes Store® account. Apple Pay will also work with the newly announced Apple Watch™, extending Apple Pay to over 200 million owners of iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s worldwide.

This has me totally confused -- because Apple Pay requires TouchID on an iPhone 5S, 6 or 6 Plus -- and the Apple Watch doesn't have TouchID (relies on the connected iPhone). One thing that I can think of is that the Apple Watch provides an alternative to TouchID using some sort of biometric fingerprint using it's sensors.

As an Apple iOS developer -- I have no clue to any of this!
  • Reply 102 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

What do you think about applying it to the power button? One press boots and logs you in!

Again. The swipe scanner makes more sense here. In an iphone you are naturally drawn to the home button for so many things, so the sensor feels natural and unobtrusive. On a laptop, you press the power button maybe once a day or every few days. So the power button remains in a rather obscure place on the deck. A swipe scanner is so cheap and so small you can literally place it anywhere. Also in a laptop you don't necessarily need the instantaneous response like you get from a home button. When you press your iphone button, you are already looking to place your thumb on the next spot, so the instantaneous feedback from the scanner is necessary. This is exactly why a swipe scanner is terrible for a phone.

Do it make sense to spend the materials and processing power for a sapphire scanner when you get the same results in a smaller, more efficient design that fits anywhere? Lastly, if placed on the power button, what happens when you press by accident?

• Reply 103 of 115
    […]

As an Apple iOS developer -- I have no clue to any of this!

I don't know what's confusing about any of that. I have to assume you're overthinking it because they clearly note how the feature works with ?Watch.
  • Reply 104 of 115
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Thanks for the link and explanation ...

The reason I am curious about this is:

One: Apple is known for not including unnecessary hardware, like an NFC chip, in a device if it has no use or plan for it -- and NFC is a radio that requires an antenna -- or maybe piggy-back on another antenna like the WiFi antenna (don't know if that's practical, requires separate FCC approval ... )

Two: The Apple Watch is purported to support Apple Pay using a handshake (watch-remains-on-wrist and watch-has-prior-TouchID-approval-from-iPhone) ... I don't think an iPhone in your purse, pocket or pack could be used successfully to establish an NFC connection with an NFC POST terminal ... We don't know, if the Apple Watch has an NFC chip, NFC antenna and FCC approval to use them. But, the Apple Watch does have a WiFi chip (and presumably a WiFi Antenna)

Three: IDK, if the NFC POST terminals have WiFi (I suspect they do) -- but there is a WiFi protocol, WiFi Protected, that has been updated to allow establishment of a secure WiFi connection as a result of a NFC connection. http://www.nfcworld.com/2014/04/09/328653/wifi-alliance-adds-support-nfc/

Four: So, the possibility exists that NFC may not actually be required to make an Apple Pay connection with a POST terminal ... The connection could be made via WiFi -- and the payment token and approval exchanged via WiFi. In fact, there were some rumors where you could use Apple Pay for in-store check out -- without ever approaching a POST terminal

Call me confused!

Your statement "I don't know exactly how it works, but it's why I've got the NFC chip in my iPad Air 2. Without that chip, Apple Pay won't work." is interesting. It might not be the presence of the NFC chip in the iPad Air 2 that enables Apple Pay -- rather it may be the presence of TouchID.

FWIW, we have the following iDevices with TouchID"
    • iPhone 5S
    • iPhone 6
    • iPhone 6S
    • iPad Air 2

I've only experimented with ApplePay app development on the iPhone 6 Plus ... And, it works -- but it requires you setup at least one credit card on the device.

AFAIK, you can't setup a credit card on the iPhone 5S ... but the Apple Watch is purported to provide Apple Pay using the TouchID on the iPhone 5S ...

Now, I'm really confused!

Why the NFC chip in the iPad Air 2?

I wil spend some time over the holidays and see which devices I can get to run an Apple Pay app ...

It's complicated, isn't it? Everything I've read so far, says that Apple does store the Apple pay info in the NFC chip. Is that true? I don't know, but what reason for having it in my iPad Air 2 would there be, considering the lack of the NFC antenna? The 5s doesn't support Apple pay and it does have Touch ID. So the only hardware difference is that chip. And as you say, Apple doesn't put hardware into a device if it makes no sense.
  • Reply 105 of 115
    Hey @Sol..

With all due respect ...

There is no indication that I can find that:
    1. ?Pay data is stored in the secure location on the NFC chip
    2. ?Watch has NFC
    3. when you set it up via and iPhone 5, 5C or newer iPhone it will then be able to use ?Pay
    4. You will not require an iPhone to be present for ?Pay on ?Watch
    5. nor will Touch ID be required, as noted by the 5 and 5C not having Touch ID.[

The current posture for developers -- is that Apple Watch does not support Apple Pay.

Except that Apple said that it would. I don't know how, but if Apple says it, what should we think?
  • Reply 106 of 115
    I did some surfing, and found that modern NFC terminals, likely, include WiFi for integration with the merchant and processor systems.

What I saw demoed was an iPhone 6 with NFC and TouchID waved very close to, or tapped on, the NFC POST terminal to make an Apple Pay payment.

I have not seen any demo of an Apple Watch making an Apple Pay payment.

As far as I can determine:
    • Apple has not announced that the Apple Watch contains a NFC chip, NFC Antenna nor TouchID sensor.
    • Apple has announced that the Apple Watch uses BLE to communicate with a required iPhone (in your hand, purse, pocket or pack).
    • Apple has announced that the Apple Watch has WiFi but this is not available to developers.
    • Apple has announced that the Apple Watch will provide Apple Pay when used with an iPhone 5S or later.

Part of the security advantage of NFC is that the connection requires that the devices be within 10 cm (~4 inches) of each other. To me, that means that:
    1. The Apple Watch has a NFC chip and antenna and relies on a iPhone 5S or later for TouchID authorization.
    2. The Apple Watch uses other than NFC to make the connection with the POST terminal
    3. The iPhone 5S or later needs to be waved within 10 cm of the POST terminal -- making the Apple Watch superfluous.

I asked for a heads up on how to add Apple Pay to an Apple Watch app I have running (in the simulator), I was told that the Apple Watch does not support Apple Pay.

So, you tell me how Apple Watch connects to a POST terminal to make an Apple Pay transaction.

It's very possible that the watch does have the chip. The 5s doesn't support Apple pay on a terminal, but does if used with the watch, through the watch. That tells me that the watch is storing that info, while the phone is storeing the fingerprint info. There is no way for the watch to get the fingerprint info, so it needs the phone. The phone simply tells the watch "yes, (s)he's authorized", and the watch completes the transaction.

In other words, we need both, in the case of the 5s. There's no reason why developers would understand this yet.
  • Reply 107 of 115
    melgross wrote: »
    It's very possible that the watch does have the chip. The 5s doesn't support Apple pay on a terminal, but does if used with the watch, through the watch. That tells me that the watch is storing that info, while the phone is storeing the fingerprint info. There is no way for the watch to get the fingerprint info, so it needs the phone. The phone simply tells the watch "yes, (s)he's authorized", and the watch completes the transaction.

In other words, we need both, in the case of the 5s. There's no reason why developers would understand this yet.

?Pay on ?Watch also works with the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C, which have no Touch ID. It was stated that you'll input a PIN which will activate it for that duration of use until you take it off. Perhaps it will also need to tether to your iPhone once when you input your PIN as a security measure to verify that the ?Watch's ?Pay data on the secure element hasn't been slated for removable before being used. I hope that the iPhone 6 series also does a check with Apple before letting you use ?Pay between power cycles.
  • Reply 108 of 115
    On the MacBooks the trackpad is a piece of glass. This could easily be a piece of sapphire (or still remain glass) and the TouchID mechanism could be behind the whole thing. If the computer asks for your fingerprint you do nothing more than touch it anywhere on the trackpad like you do on the iPhone home button. Unobtrusive and totally practical. If Apple puts it anywhere, I believe this is how they will do it. 

That I disagreed. You know why? Because there's the steel ring around the fingerprint sensor (FPS). The FPS need that steel ring to detect the finger (electric to tell sensor that finger is already on FPS). ;)
  • Reply 109 of 115
    ?Pay on ?Watch also works with the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C, which have no Touch ID. It was stated that you'll input a PIN which will activate it for that duration of use until you take it off. Perhaps it will also need to tether to your iPhone once when you input your PIN as a security measure to verify that the ?Watch's ?Pay data on the secure element hasn't been slated for removable before being used. I hope that the iPhone 6 series also does a check with Apple before letting you use ?Pay between power cycles.

It needs to tether to the phone, because it won't work without the phone being present, from what I've read. I'm surprised that Apple stated that it would work with those older models, because it's the Touch ID that gives it the extra bit of security.
  • Reply 110 of 115
    It needs to tether to the phone, because it won't work without the phone being present, from what I've read. I'm surprised that Apple stated that it would work with those older models, because it's the Touch ID that gives it the extra bit of security.

That should tell you that Touch ID isn't required for ?Pay work on ?Watch for a specific translation.

Their statement about putting ?Watch next to a NFC-capable device should tell you ?Watch has NFC.

From this and their statement about authentication lasts so long as ?Watch remains on your wrist should tell you that ?Watch has a secure element.

Finally, Touch ID isn't inherently more secure than a passcode; it's more convenient. That's why having to put in a code to authenticate access on your ?Watch once per day (read: each day when you put it on) isn't a lack of security. It's also not a big deal if only doing once per wearing.
  • Reply 111 of 115
    That should tell you that Touch ID isn't required for ?Pay work on ?Watch for a specific translation.

Their statement about putting ?Watch next to a NFC-capable device should tell you ?Watch has NFC.

From this and their statement about authentication lasts so long as ?Watch remains on your wrist should tell you that ?Watch has a secure element.

Finally, Touch ID isn't inherently more secure than a passcode; it's more convenient. That's why having to put in a code to authenticate access on your ?Watch once per day (read: each day when you put it on) isn't a lack of security. It's also not a big deal if only doing once per wearing.

Touch is definately more secure than a passcode, unless you're using long passwords made of of totally random characters, which isn't true for most things. I do that for my WiFi, but not for much else.

The idea that a fingerprint can be bypassed easily is myth. The two guys that did it, were very careful to put a very good fingerprint down. The likelihood is that there is no fingerprint on your phone or case, or one that's good enough to use. We're too used to watching these CSI shows which can get a fingerprint from anything, but it's not true.

http://jmmxtech.wordpress.com/2014/09/27/fingerprint-hack/
  • Reply 112 of 115

I agree this is exactly how they will do it. Glass trackpad with TouchID sensor behind it. Visually you will never know the difference. They could even make it require more than one finger at a time. Rest your fingers anywhere on the trackpad and you're in.
    Better potential with this too, like you say multi fingers and hey it could be multi account
    Thanks for the link and explanation ...

The reason I am curious about this is:

One: Apple is known for not including unnecessary hardware, like an NFC chip, in a device if it has no use or plan for it -- and NFC is a radio that requires an antenna -- or maybe piggy-back on another antenna like the WiFi antenna (don't know if that's practical, requires separate FCC approval ... )

Two: The Apple Watch is purported to support Apple Pay using a handshake (watch-remains-on-wrist and watch-has-prior-TouchID-approval-from-iPhone) ... I don't think an iPhone in your purse, pocket or pack could be used successfully to establish an NFC connection with an NFC POST terminal ... We don't know, if the Apple Watch has an NFC chip, NFC antenna and FCC approval to use them. But, the Apple Watch does have a WiFi chip (and presumably a WiFi Antenna)

Three: IDK, if the NFC POST terminals have WiFi (I suspect they do) -- but there is a WiFi protocol, WiFi Protected, that has been updated to allow establishment of a secure WiFi connection as a result of a NFC connection. http://www.nfcworld.com/2014/04/09/328653/wifi-alliance-adds-support-nfc/

Four: So, the possibility exists that NFC may not actually be required to make an Apple Pay connection with a POST terminal ... The connection could be made via WiFi -- and the payment token and approval exchanged via WiFi. In fact, there were some rumors where you could use Apple Pay for in-store check out -- without ever approaching a POST terminal

Call me confused!

Your statement "I don't know exactly how it works, but it's why I've got the NFC chip in my iPad Air 2. Without that chip, Apple Pay won't work." is interesting. It might not be the presence of the NFC chip in the iPad Air 2 that enables Apple Pay -- rather it may be the presence of TouchID.

FWIW, we have the following iDevices with TouchID"
    • iPhone 5S
    • iPhone 6
    • iPhone 6S
    • iPad Air 2

I've only experimented with ApplePay app development on the iPhone 6 Plus ... And, it works -- but it requires you setup at least one credit card on the device.

AFAIK, you can't setup a credit card on the iPhone 5S ... but the Apple Watch is purported to provide Apple Pay using the TouchID on the iPhone 5S ...

Now, I'm really confused!

Why the NFC chip in the iPad Air 2?

I wil spend some time over the holidays and see which devices I can get to run an Apple Pay app ...
    Ipad mini 3 has Touch ID and an NFC chip as well.

For the people wondering, both an Intel proccesor or potentially an A9 proccesor on this MacBook Air, either would work, and from there treated like an IPad with the NFC chip.
  • Reply 113 of 115
    Touch is definately more secure than a passcode, unless you're using long passwords made of of totally random characters, which isn't true for most things. I do that for my WiFi, but not for much else.

The idea that a fingerprint can be bypassed easily is myth. The two guys that did it, were very careful to put a very good fingerprint down. The likelihood is that there is no fingerprint on your phone or case, or one that's good enough to use. We're too used to watching these CSI shows which can get a fingerprint from anything, but it's not true.

http://jmmxtech.wordpress.com/2014/09/27/fingerprint-hack/

1) I do use a complex passcode for iPhone because I only need to use it rarely. Years ago, when Apple first allowed this feature via the iPhone Configuration Utility for Enterprise, it was too inconvenient. Also, even if you choose to use an all number passcode that was shorter or longer than 4 digits it would default to the full keyboard. As of around iOS 6 one can choose an all number passcode or any length and it's smart enough to know it's should only show the number pad. Even a simple 6 digit number brings the number up to 1 million.

2) Something you remember is inherently more secure than something you leave everywhere. This will always be true until such an improbable time as your mind can be read. There is no "myth" about lifting fingerprints and tricking a scanner. It's possible and has been proven to be possible even if one doesn't believe in forensic science.

3) If you still don't believe that Touch ID is inherently less secure than a passcode then why doesn't Apple require Touch ID as the primary means to unlock a power cycled device and require a passcode if your Touch ID scan fails too many times instead of simply waiting for a proper scan to unlock the device. There is only one answer.
  • Reply 114 of 115

Fingerprint sensors have been in laptops for over a decade. 

They've already beat Apple to the punch and no one cares.

• Reply 115 of 115
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    technarchy wrote: »
    Fingerprint sensors have been in laptops for over a decade. 

They've already beat Apple to the punch and no one cares.

Apple never made the first computer with a GUI, the first smartphone, the first music player, the first app store and so on. They were just the first to do them right. The same applies to the fingerprint sensor. There are probably over 200 million iOS device users with touch id in active use now, the same couldn't be said about any other fingerprint scanner.