Rumor: Apple Watch set to begin mass production in January

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2015
A questionable rumor out of Taiwan claims that Apple and manufacturing partner Quanta Computer are gearing up to begin mass production of the Apple Watch in January, and will manufacture a total of 24 million units in the first year.

Quanta is alleged to have increased its production line workers from 3,000 to 10,000 in the second half of this year, according to the United Daily News. The number of employees is expected to further increase next year to between 30,000 and 40,000 people, the report said.

However, casting doubt on the claims is the fact that the report mentions a so-called "iPhone 6s," which the publication originally believed would debut in "early spring" of 2015, but now claims has been delayed. A spring launch for a new iPhone seems highly unlikely, given that Apple has maintained a September launch window for new models on an annual cycle for the last few years.

The Taiwanese report claims that Apple and Quanta are aiming to ship between 3 million and 5 million Apple Watch units at launch. The story was first highlighted by G for Games on Thursday.

Apple has given a vague launch window of "early 2015" for the Apple Watch. It's believed that the company is still trying to nail down final specifications, including battery life, before mass production can begin.

Final pricing of the Apple Watch also remains unknown, aside from the fact that the wrist-worn device will carry an entry price of $350. The first-generation hardware will require connection to an iPhone, and developers can now create their own Apple Watch apps through the WatchKit development tools made available by Apple in the iOS 8.2 beta.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    If you look at WatchKit, is not "the first generation hardware" that will need an iPhone.
    The Apple Watch is designed to be an extension of an iOS device, full stop.
  • Reply 2 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bappo View Post

If you look at WatchKit, is not "the first generation hardware" that will need an iPhone.

For now. In the future it won't.

They really need to have this out the week before Valentine's Day.

• Reply 3 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bappo wrote: »

Until it's not. Once they get decent battery life it most likely will be decoupled from requiring iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 90

I'm still curious about manufacturing. Is everything going to be manufactured in China? Or is China just for final assembly? On the ?Watch website Apple says the milanese loop is woven on special Italian machines. The leather in the bands comes from France, Italy and Netherlands. Are the materials and machines shipped to China for manufacturing or are the bands made outside of China and shipped there for final assembly? The back of the watch doesn't have any manufacturing info. Can Apple sell an Edition watch for thousands of dollars if it says assembled in China on the back?
  • Reply 5 of 90

Is Valentine's Day typically a big day for watch and/or CE sales?

rogifan wrote: »
    Until it's not. Once they get decent battery life it most likely will be decoupled from requiring iPhone.

iDevices still aren't decoupled from Macs/PCs with iTunes so I'm not sure that's likely to happen anytime soon.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

iDevices still aren't decoupled from Macs/PCs with iTunes so I'm not sure that's likely to happen anytime soon.

I think watches are popular VD gifts from what I've heard.

Uh...iDevices are decoupled from iTunes, last I checked.

• Reply 7 of 90
    Uh...iDevices are decoupled from iTunes, last I checked.

Nope. Need to change the meta data of an item in the Music or Videos app? Need itTunes. Need to add music and movies that aren't from iTS? Need iTunes. Need to download and restore a fresh iOS install? Need iTunes (or Xcode).
  • Reply 8 of 90
    Quote:

Do you need a Mac or PC to set up a new iOS device and use it? I guess ?Watch may always be dependent on iPhone if that's where you manage certain things, like what apps are on the watch, notifications etc. but u think a future version will have wifi and GPS.
  • Reply 9 of 90
    Quote:

Nope. Need to change the meta data of an item in the Music or Videos app? Need itTunes. Need to add music and movies that aren't from iTS? Need iTunes. Need to download and restore a fresh iOS install? Need iTunes (or Xcode).

Well, that's true, but most users don't have to have that. The devices still function largely without iTunes, much more than they did in 2007.

• Reply 10 of 90

Well, that's true, but most users don't have to have that. The devices still function largely without iTunes, much more than they did in 2007.

The comment isn't about what most users need or how much better it's become since it's initial release, it's whether it's been decoupled from ever needing machine running iTunes for all actions. It hasn't.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    Do you need a Mac or PC to set up a new iOS device and use it?

Most of the setup can happen without using a machine running iTunes, but there is still the issue with the library contents. Unless everything on own comes from iTS (or Audible) you can't get it on your iOS-based devices in the proper apps. I had hoped by now Apple would have a iCloud.com portal for organizing your iTunes Match. It wouldn't decouple it from using another device since Apple likes to prevent iCloud.com being used on iOS, but it would at least decouple from iTunes.
    I guess ?Watch may always be dependent on iPhone if that's where you manage certain things, like what apps are on the watch, notifications etc. but u think a future version will have wifi and GPS.

It apparently already comes with WiFi. I guess I could see GPS but wouldn't that be very slow to lock on without A-GPS via cellular connections? My guess is that's way down on the list and the technology will have to get much smaller and more efficient for Apple to even say OK to it. My guess that's a good 3-5 years out, at least.
  • Reply 12 of 90
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I think watches are popular VD gifts from what I've heard.

Ironically, so is VD, traditionally...

spheric
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

My guess is Apple is still working on their 3rd party app approval process for standalone watch apps.  I'm betting they will have a test bed to gauge battery usage before the app is available.  

I'm betting day1 will have darn good battery life.  The delay on decoupled apps is to maintain that battery life, not to increase it drastically.  

• Reply 14 of 90
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Most of the setup can happen without using a machine running iTunes, but there is still the issue with the library contents. Unless everything on own comes from iTS (or Audible) you can't get it on your iOS-based devices in the proper apps. I had hoped by now Apple would have a iCloud.com portal for organizing your iTunes Match. It wouldn't decouple it from using another device since Apple likes to prevent iCloud.com being used on iOS, but it would at least decouple from iTunes.
    It apparently already comes with WiFi. I guess I could see GPS but wouldn't that be very slow to lock on without A-GPS via cellular connections? My guess is that's way down on the list and the technology will have to get much smaller and more efficient for Apple to even say OK to it. My guess that's a good 3-5 years out, at least.

Except other smartwatches already have GPS and many fitness bands do as well. Apple is going to need GPS sooner rather than later, especially if they're going to push it as a comprehensive fitness device.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    My guess is Apple is still working on their 3rd party app approval process for standalone watch apps.  I'm betting they will have a test bed to gauge battery usage before the app is available.  

I'm betting day1 will have darn good battery life.  The delay on decoupled apps is to maintain that battery life, not to increase it drastically.  

I hope Apple has its act together regarding apps. No embarrassing app approved and then rejected a week later.
  • Reply 16 of 90
    Except other smartwatches already have GPS and many fitness bands do as well. Apple is going to need GPS sooner rather than later, especially if they're going to push it as a comprehensive fitness device.

1) You don't need GPS to measure steps, stairs, or heart rate.

2) Other "smart"watches had cellular, too. They were shit!

3) If this was 6 months ago you'd be saying that any write-worn device by Apple must come with GPS or be DOA. The 2015 option won't have GPS. We know that! Do you think it will be DOA just because other "smart"watches had GPS?
  • Reply 17 of 90
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Jewelry is a popular gift item for St. Valentine's Day.

The Apple Watch is a bit of jewelry, maybe a "smart" jewelry, but still jewelry nonetheless.

• Reply 18 of 90
    bappo wrote: »

Yep.

They're going to need those impulse buyers.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm still curious about manufacturing. Is everything going to be manufactured in China? Or is China just for final assembly? On the ?Watch website Apple says the milanese loop is woven on special Italian machines. The leather in the bands comes from France, Italy and Netherlands. Are the materials and machines shipped to China for manufacturing or are the bands made outside of China and shipped there for final assembly? The back of the watch doesn't have any manufacturing info. Can Apple sell an Edition watch for thousands of dollars if it says assembled in China on the back?

Like the iPhone and other devices, many parts are made in other countries!!!  The Processor is more then likely made here in the U.S. at Samsung's Texas plant.  The Gorilla Glass is also made here in the U.S.  Some parts are made in China and at Foxconn, and who knows where else.  It's a global economy.  

Personally I don't see how Apple expects to sell all these watches.  To who???  Watches are a dying market.  Once in a rare while I'll throw on my fancy watch I got way back as a High School graduation gift.  It will works to this day, many years later.  This Smart Watch, you can't even really replace the battery.  It'll have limited life before it's just outdated hardware wise and until the battery finally takes a dump and before that just last less and less until not even worth wearing.    Has any company even sold 1 Million of any Smart Watch yet?  Just because you stick a Apple name on it, people will buy it?

Again, why dump $399+ on a limited watch when you can just easily grab your big screen iPhone?  I know Apple in the past said they expected to sell 5 million in a quarter.  I just don't see it.  I don't know of anyone personally that has said they plan to get one and most everyone I know have iPhones!!!   This is not like bring out a iPhone, you know where they all sucked before that, but was also still a new and growing Smart Phone market.  Or the iPad, where there just as never any good Tablets before, there just wasn't much of a market to begin with, it wasn't dying.  Watches are completely different.

Those that still wear a watch every day do it for Fashion,  Spend money on buying something fancy,  maybe big money for a Rolex or some such.  Most of these people aren't going to buy a Smart Watch.  It's like the Calculator Watch of the past.  A Tiny market of Geeks will buy it.   I don't see how Apple expects to grow a dying market like this.  I don't even think Pebble has sold 1 million watches yet.   Samsung had 6 this year and combined not 1 million.

• Reply 20 of 90
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) You don't need GPS to measure steps, stairs, or heart rate.

2) Other "smart"watches had cellular, too. They were shit!

3) If this was 6 months ago you'd be saying that any write-worn device by Apple must come with GPS or be DOA. The 2015 option won't have GPS. We know that! Do you think it will be DOA just because other "smart"watches had GPS?

I never said it would be DOA. My point is I think lack of GPS and wifi is currently a compromise in order to get acceptable battery life. In the Watch intro video Jony Ive references using GPS and wifi from the iPhone to get a complete picture of your daily activities. So I think Apple is well aware that a fitness device needs GPS to be truly useful and IMO GPS is high up on the priority list for future versions.