Google's new Web series 'Route 85' aims to help developers make iOS apps using Google SDKs

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
Google on Friday announced a new series of developer outreach videos called "Route 85," which looks to facilitate expanded use of Google's iOS SDKs in third-party app creations.

In a short ad on the official Google Developers YouTube channel, uploaded in tandem with a post on the group's Google+ page, developer advocate Todd Kerpelman gives a brief rundown of what viewers can expect from the upcoming show.

"We have a whole bunch of crazy smart engineers that are building dozens of apps for iOS devices," Kerpelman says. "And we have SDKs available for everything from Maps, to analytics, to games that you could use to power your own apps."

As detailed in the video, Google is planning to use the show to inform developers about new libraries released for iOS, as well as tips from Google engineers on creating Google-powered apps.

Google has built a number of high performance developer tools for iOS, but is not considered an "iOS company" because it created and successfully marketed rival mobile OS Android. Still, the Internet search giant is looking for ways to hop on Apple's platform beyond its own in-house initiatives like the recently updated Google search app for iOS.

Route 85 is set to debut soon on the Google Developers' YouTube channel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Now that Apple is considering using Bing, Google has begun to panic, and for the first time since 2007, has decided to pool its resources and work toward a common goal: survival. This appears to be yet another nail in the coffin of Google and Android, the building of the coffin precipitated by Schmidt's rip-off of the iOS concept, earning Jobs', and all of Apple's, eternal ire.

Lacking some miracle, or a noteworthy apology, Android may end up being yet just another service that Google drops suddenly and for no apparent reason, probably selling it for a huge loss to Lenovo.

In the coming years, we look forward to seeing how Google may address the security, upgradability, fragmentation and inefficiency issues of Android. But with potential falling profits with Apple opting for Google's competitors' services, it may be a hill too steep to climb.

Google was a great search company in the early 2000's, but that was a long time ago. Good luck, Google!
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Google on Friday announced a new series of developer outreach videos called "Route 85," which looks to facilitate expanded use of Google's iOS SDKs in third-party app creations.

If you drive down Route 85 going 85 mph, how long will it take you to go 85 miles?

For the answer, watch porch philosophers struggle with this on YouTube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOFJpsDmKvU
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Apple should just reject these apps made with this Google garbage.

And they need to reject apps that don't follow Apple's UI guidelines. All that Google Material crap is making iOS apps look like Android apps.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    brakken wrote: »
    Now that Apple is considering using Bing, Google has begun to panic, and for the first time since 2007, has decided to pool its resources and work toward a common goal: survival. This appears to be yet another nail in the coffin of Google and Android, the building of the coffin precipitated by Schmidt's rip-off of the iOS concept, earning Jobs', and all of Apple's, eternal ire.

Lacking some miracle, or a noteworthy apology, Android may end up being yet just another service that Google drops suddenly and for no apparent reason, probably selling it for a huge loss to Lenovo.

In the coming years, we look forward to seeing how Google may address the security, upgradability, fragmentation and inefficiency issues of Android. But with potential falling profits with Apple opting for Google's competitors' services, it may be a hill too steep to climb.

Google was a great search company in the early 2000's, but that was a long time ago. Good luck, Google!

You're delusional.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    That video is hilarious!!!! Lol
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Worse! I'm bored! Bored of these articles that fail to provide the insight or historical developments related ti the topic! I'd love to see a little analysis actually provided from other AppleInsider articles as reference, such as Google earning more from iOS than it does from Android.

The impact of Apple moving from Google Search to Bing? Easy to ignore? Despite the debacle of Maps, most people just have whatever is on their phone. Most don't ever contemplate changing search engines. iOS users have demonstrated a higher source of online and mobile income. And Bing will happily be the recipient of this cash flow.

Seriously, you can't see this change affecting Google?
  • Reply 7 of 28

If you drive down Route 85 going 85 mph, how long will it take you to go 85 miles?

Funny!

That's what comes from listening to rap music instead of getting an education.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bighype wrote: »
    Apple should just reject these apps made with this Google garbage.

And they need to reject apps that don't follow Apple's UI guidelines. All that Google Material crap is making iOS apps look like Android apps.

Isn't it Microsoft kind of doing the same thing? They just bought hockeyapp and I read that they're making a big push to get developrs using their tools for iOS development.

I do think the whole material design on iOS is a big middle finger to Apple. But as long as Apple either doesn't have clear guidelines or is inconsistent in what they enforce then there's nothing stopping Google from making their apps look like Android and Microsoft like metro/modern.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Apple could enforce more UI standards. Exempting games.

I think these are objective C API talking to google web services. No biggie. In the early days of ios Dev Google had a crap heavy library three20 used everywhere.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member

One hour (I didn't watch the video, but I did have an excellent public school education, long before "no child left to whine)

As someone who actually uses google APIs in my work, I hope they start spending some money on corralling their documentation.

They frequently release new tool kits without updating reference materials. I spend a fair amount of time on stack overflow as a result.

That being said, their technical infrastructure is 1st rate. They are also making a concerted effort to provide better customer service.

I was shocked recently while trying to configure one of their Google Drive APIs when a popup message appeared: "have questions? Click here and a google engineer will call you"

I did, they did (immediately), and the engineer was courteous, professional and helpful.

Best of all, it was free. No charge for their time.

I was very impressed. Maybe they'll manage yet to steer that whale towards life after search...
  • Reply 11 of 28

Hello everyone, I think many of you noticed that numerous AT&T unlocking sites aren't working anymore, it's because AT&T doesn't permit cheap unlocking sites'access for their database anymore. Which caused lots of 3rd party unlocking sites unable to unlock AT&T anymore, but you can still use attiphoneunlocking, it's among the oldest unlocking site for AT&T.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

As someone who actually uses google APIs in my work, I hope they start spending some money on corralling their documentation.

They frequently release new tool kits without updating reference materials. I spend a fair amount of time on stack overflow as a result.

That being said, their technical infrastructure is 1st rate. They are also making a concerted effort to provide better customer service.

I was shocked recently while trying to configure one of their Google Drive APIs when a popup message appeared: "have questions? Click here and a google engineer will call you"

I did, they did (immediately), and the engineer was courteous, professional and helpful.

Best of all, it was free. No charge for their time.

I was very impressed. Maybe they'll manage yet to steer that whale towards life after search...

Hmmm. Isn't there a rule on no objective, informed non-anti-Google comments here?  Should I report you to the admins....?? ;) 

• Reply 13 of 28

You've certainly achieved your goal of being the British Apple][.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    solipsismy wrote: »

You've certainly achieved your goal of being the British Apple][.

Thanks very much for the compliment!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Isn't it Microsoft kind of doing the same thing? They just bought hockeyapp and I read that they're making a big push to get developrs using their tools for iOS development.

As of current, nothing I've seen points to native tools for such, unless they are still integrating.

Visual Studio Community 2013, has dozens of tools for Microsoft platforms, but relies on Unity and Apache Cordova for multi-platform development(HTML5, CSS, Javascript)

• Reply 16 of 28
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hey wait!  You made it way harder!

In the video on YouTube, it's only 80 miles...

• Reply 17 of 28
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

Wow...now this is what I call 'wishful thinking'.

Apparently, you've traded in the Grape-flavored Kool-Aid for Apple...?

• Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

Well said ....

On the same note, google so-called smart engineers have my approval to shove their codes / solutions up their .... where every ads deserve to go! :smokey: 

• Reply 19 of 28
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

While technically certainly often impressive, many of those Google APIs really show that they've been designed by Java guys. Especially their Maps SDK feels architecturally out of place in ObjC and really shows its root lie somewhere else.

• Reply 20 of 28
    One of Google's strategies is to trick iOS users to download their apps from the iOS appStore, e.g., by highlighting and putting in prominent places buttons that achieve this. The button for the logical (and most used) next step is often de-emphasized and put in the wrong place. For example: on the (basically useless) splash page, you have the "download mobile app". When one wants to logout of the gmail web page, the sign out button sometimes is out of sight, and encumbered by a button to join Google .
    Besides, their mobile apps use a style that is very wasteful with screen real estate and litters the page with unwanted features, overreactive buttons, again, to trick the user into doing more things the Google way.
    This is so annoying. IMHO the nicest apps do only a few things, but they do them well.