Xiaomi reported earnings of only $56 million in 2013, one-tenth what WSJ reported and 1/150 Apple's

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    daven wrote: »
    It may only be $56 million but it is profit and for that reason it has a leg up on Amazon. At some point the current Xiaomi cheap knockoff becomes as good as the Apple phone of one or two years ago and at some point it is good enough for most. Xiaomi will continue to take Samsung sales. After they chew up Samsung, Xiaomi and Apple are the major players. Then what? Xiaomi is something to keep an eye on.
    You can steal the look, UI, but not performance and user experience. In order to make something "as good", you got to have the technology which Xiaomi don't.
    What makes you think a POS company like Xiaomi can catch up with Apple while Samsung and many other big companies couldn't? I doubt that Xiaomi could even take any share from Samsung as reported.
  • Reply 42 of 122
    fallenjt wrote: »
    You can steal the look, UI, but not performance and user experience. In order to make something "as good", you got to have the technology which Xiaomi don't.
    What makes you think a POS company like Xiaomi can catch up with Apple while Samsung and many other big companies couldn't? I doubt that Xiaomi could even take any share from Samsung as reported.

Hugo Barra must be a real self-hating twerp to have taken the CEO spot at this slimy company.
  • Reply 43 of 122
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Because software is relatively easy to copy. Once you get someone to do the hard work of figuring out how to make features work well together, copying another company's implementation is relatively easy.
  • Reply 44 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

It may only be $56 million but it is profit and for that reason it has a leg up on Amazon. At some point the current Xiaomi cheap knockoff becomes as good as the Apple phone of one or two years ago and at some point it is good enough for most. Xiaomi will continue to take Samsung sales. After they chew up Samsung, Xiaomi and Apple are the major players. Then what? Xiaomi is something to keep an eye on.

what nonsense. people buy Apple devices because theyre easier to use (iOS) and because of the quality materials and their reputation (Apple). cant be aped by an android cloner thats limited to China-only due to IP theft.

• Reply 45 of 122
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    what nonsense. people buy Apple devices because theyre easy to use (iOS) and because of their reputation (Apple). neither of those can be aped by an android cloner.

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of people settle for 'good enough' and buy the Android knock-offs. Do I like it? No. Do I feel like they ripped Apple off? Yes. But that doesn't change my view that it is happening.
  • Reply 46 of 122
    Sounds like someone screwed up on the decimal point.
  • Reply 47 of 122
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Apple made 625 times more money than Xiaomi in 2013.

Xiaomi made 0.16% the money Apple made.

Apple must be terrified.
  • Reply 48 of 122
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Copycats get no sales. Samsung and this company are in the same boat. If you don't actually have a great product you will not have great profits to show for it. Xiaomi's CEO thinks by wearing a black turtleneck and jeans he can be like a Steve Jobs. Well I got news for him. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's a copycat like Samsung, losers!

• Reply 49 of 122
    Quote:

Nonsense. Once they have to pay for their own designs instead of copying and pay for exportation, their prices will soar. Their current margin isn't a margin, it's ridiculous, and that from a company that's helped by the Chinese government. No, they aren't going anywhere.

• Reply 50 of 122
    The reality of Chinese companies is that you can't trust their financial data - many companies keep two sets of books, hide their money and falsely report. Even world class audit firms can't keep up with all that's hidden in the financial shadows. This is reflected in the problem that even large corporations in China frequently change their accounting firms making it near impossible to keep up with their actual financials.
  • Reply 51 of 122
    Quote:

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of people settle for 'good enough' and buy the Android knock-offs. Do I like it? No. Do I feel like they ripped Apple off? Yes. But that doesn't change my view that it is happening.

Good enough? The OnePlus One's slogan is "Never Settle", and that phone has constant reports of yellow banding on the screen, mediocre camera, sketchy touchscreen response, and horrific customer service. You should visit their forum; it's an absolute joke. 

I bought one to mess with and it will never replace my Plus as my daily driver.

• Reply 52 of 122

Also

Apple sold approximately 10 millions phones in the first three days for the iPhone 6 launch.

That makes 7 billion dollars minimum counting all models.

That quarter the profit was 1/8 of the revenue. So let's say 1 billion profit. So more than 300 million profit per day. That's more than 25 million dollars per hours on a 12 hour day.

That means that Apple made in less than 3 hours as much money as Xiaomi made in the whole 2013.

• Reply 53 of 122
    Quote:

This ^^^^^

The first thing I thought reading the article was that there was this little online upstart 20 years ago that did nothing but sell books.

Fast forward 20 years and Amazon is still more or less break even.  But there is not a single person on the planet who can deny that Amazon is a major player with their fingers in many pies.

I'll add that Xiaomi has created a very active fan base not unlike Apple's or Google's.  One of the many reasons they can keep costs down is they let their fans (search for "Mi fans") do the marketing for them instead of traditional advertising.

So I agree 100% that Xiaomi is something to keep an eye on.

• Reply 54 of 122
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    fallenjt wrote: »

What will they offer at the Xiaomi Genius Bar? Ramen noodles?
  • Reply 55 of 122
    xixo wrote: »
    What will they offer at the Xiaomi Genius Bar? Ramen noodles?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_noodles
  • Reply 56 of 122
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But they'll make it up in volume! /s
  • Reply 57 of 122

Based on the thousands of business news articles I've read over the years, I have determined that Chinese and Korean owned & operated business' are the biggest liars and cheaters to ever participate in the business world. They cut corners in manufacturing, constantly copy competitors designs, lie in their advertising and cheat with their balance sheets to make themselves look better or more relevant than they actually are. They are great for mass producing products that are specified out by American, European or Japanese companies, but when left to their own devices, stay clear, or you'll likely be burned. </soapbox>

• Reply 58 of 122
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

The problem with Xiaomi is that once they try to sell outside of China, they're screwed!!!!   In China, they can copy and steal everyone's patents.  Outside of China they'll have to pay up.   They tried to sell phones in India and have been banned from a suit brought to them from Ericsson because of Patent Infringements.   Wait until all these other company's including Samsung start suing them also.  Making so little profit now, they would be losing money trying to sell outside of China.

The other thing is they say they will make money on services.  Is that a joke?  Maybe in China you can do that, but once outside, NO! Samsung has tried doing that with piss poor results.  If you have Android, everyone wants to use Google's services, not Samsung's and sure not Xiaomi's!!!  Prices will have to come up.  They wouldn't have this unfair advantage anymore.  Even then like most everyone else, still making slim to none profits with Android.   You have the same problem with Android as Windows has had.  You start with a bunch and then the market shrinks as there's very little money to be made.  i think it's even worse of a problem for phones.  There's just not much to stand out from any other Android phone and so profits drop as everyone is fighting it out.  MS won out in this case and for Android, Google wins.  Google Wins no matter what.  Even if Android died, Google would still win with all it's iOS Apps which still does better then on Android.

I just don't see Xiaomi as a threat to anyone outside of China.  Even in China Apple is making far, far, far more money then they are selling more phones.  Again, Market Share is meaningless if you have nothing to back that up.    I think Xiaomi is in a world of hurt right now.  

• Reply 59 of 122

I can p

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

This ^^^^^

The first thing I thought reading the article was that there was this little online upstart 20 years ago that did nothing but sell books.

Fast forward 20 years and Amazon is still more or less break even.  But there is not a single person on the planet who can deny that Amazon is a major player with their fingers in many pies.

I'll add that Xiaomi has created a very active fan base not unlike Apple's or Google's.  One of the many reasons they can keep costs down is they let their fans (search for "Mi fans") do the marketing for them instead of traditional advertising.

So I agree 100% that Xiaomi is something to keep an eye on.

I can pay some Filipino's a very modest amount of money to post hundreds of positive reviews / forum comments on whatever product or issue I want. Don't believe everything you read. 

• Reply 60 of 122
    clemynx wrote: »
    Nonsense. Once they have to pay for their own designs instead of copying and pay for exportation, their prices will soar. Their current margin isn't a margin, it's ridiculous, and that from a company that's helped by the Chinese government. No, they aren't going anywhere.

Pay for their own designs? You mean like Samsung has paid? The problem is that winning in court takes a long, long time and all that time you get to copy... Just like Samsung has. Remember, Samsung didn't break out of the Droid pack until it copied Apple's look and feel. That is a lesson for others. Copy as much as you can and lawyer up so you can delay, delay, delay. As for their link to the Chinese government, I see that as a plus for them. Firstly, the Chinese government looks after their own and can delay Apple offerings while giving a wink and a nod to whatever Xiaomi does. In return, Xiaomi puts in a back donor for the government. In addition, don't underestimate the appeal of patriotism. Sure Apple may assemble their phones in China but they are still outsiders.