Xiaomi reported earnings of only $56 million in 2013, one-tenth what WSJ reported and 1/150 Apple's

Comments

• Reply 101 of 122
    clemynx wrote: »
    techlover wrote: »
    Business and economics have no morals.

Look at every single multinational corporation.

If not for laws and negative press, corporations would have no morals. If you think Apple has better morals than most corporations than most you are likely right. But it's still a multinational corporation.

Well that's the point. Compared to Xiaomi, Apple is a saint. At least they have their own designers.

Apple is better than most for certain. But it's not as if everything was thought of in a vacuum.

Everyone is lifting designs and services from each other.
  • Reply 102 of 122
    Seriously? I need to literally spell it out for you even more?

Xiaomi is one of many Android manufacturers selling mostly cheap smartphones primarily in China with questionable government involvement.

If that's what floats your boat... then keep an eye on them.

But don't come to an Apple forum and attempt to spread the Xiaomi gospel. :D

So what really bothers you is that this is an apple forum with Xioami being discussed.

Take that up with the author of the article and not me. He wrote it, not me.

Please don't tell me what to say here. That is weak, rude, and uncalled for. I will say what I want. Especially since it's related to the article. If you can't deal with that, that is your problem, not mine.

I am not "spreading gospel", rather speaking about something interesting to me related to the article, the article we are commenting on. Which is about Xioami last time I looked.
  • Reply 103 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What a truly crappy and pathetic company.

This is the company with that little man who's a pathetic Chinese Steve Jobs wannabe. What a joke.

Big event announcing an iPhone knockoff in a black mock turtleneck, jeans, and sneakers?

(shakes head slowly)

• Reply 104 of 122
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Every cell phone, including any dumb phone, sends some data to the manufacturer's server from time to time. Xiaomi may not have a server in Taiwai. So, the data has to be sent to a server in mainland China. But, I am sure Xiaomi can prevent this bad publicity by having a server in Taiwai.

I am not saying that Xiaomi is or isn't an arm of the Chinese government. I don't know the truth either way. I just want to point it out the technical inevitability for each cell phone to send data to the manufacturer. I am sure my iPhone sends some data to Apple, no matter which country I live in. This doesn't make Apple an arm of the US government, right?

Don't kid yourself.

Xiaomi isn't just collecting 'technical data'.

Telco name, IMEI, Address contacts, call logs, SMS's, the list goes on.

The user never approves this, like with an Apple device. It's all done silently in the background without your knowledge.

And Apple doesn't collect data that goes directly to the servers of a country that doesn't even allow something as basic as freedom of speech and internet censorship.

The Taiwanese government have banned use of Xiaomi outright. I think there's a lesson to be learned for the rest of the world in that.

• Reply 105 of 122
    So what really bothers you is that this is an apple forum with Xioami being discussed.

Please don't tell me what to say here. That is weak, rude, and uncalled for. I will say what I want. Especially since it's related to the article. If you can't deal with that, that is your problem, not mine.

I am not "spreading gospel", rather speaking about something interesting to me related to the article, the article we are commenting on. Which is about Xioami last time I looked.

Ok, ok... calm down. Yes... you're free to talk about whatever you want. (you know no one can literally stop you from talking, right?)

It's just that many people here are pointing out negative things about Xiaomi... but you seem to be on Xiaomi's side.

I was just curious as to why. All you say is "I'm interested in Xiaomi... I'm curious about Xiaomi..."

What is it? Their forked version of Android? Their app store? Their possible government ties? Their data collection?

There's gotta be something specific you can point to.
  • Reply 106 of 122

Ok, ok... calm down. Yes... you're free to talk about whatever you want. (you know no one can literally stop you from talking, right?)

It's just that many people here are pointing out negative things about Xiaomi... but you seem to be on Xiaomi's side.

I was just curious as to why. All you say is "I'm interested in Xiaomi... I'm curious about Xiaomi..."

What is it? Their forked version of Android? Their app store? Their possible government ties? Their data collection?

There's gotta be something specific you can point to.

Boy I hate to burst your bubble but I'm both calm and curious.

I am neither positive or negative on Xioami. But they seem interesting.

Just curious about Xioami in general. It's an interesting company and I want to see what they do. It's really not that complicated.

Should I be negative about Xioami so I fit in around here? Would that make you happy?

Things are interesting to me.

I think different and am interested in other things than you.

Let's move on.
  • Reply 107 of 122
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Because software is relatively easy to copy. Once you get someone to do the hard work of figuring out how to make features work well together, copying another company's implementation is relatively easy.

Oh, right "easy" to copy, that must be why Microsoft, Adobe, Oracle, SAP are out of business right now.... SUBSTANTIAL SOFTWARE IS HARD TO COPY... Harder than even hardware.  Creating you own hardware (which Xiomi) and then integrating it tightly with your software is NOT doing, is even harder. So, basically, they've got two strikes against them.  Hell, even the Chinese are using the base of Android for most of the heavy lifting. So, their creating essentially a coat of paint software for their phone; such a great job!

At least the Japanese in the 1970s were doing something different from the Americans in most fields; not so for the Chinese... Just steal, steal, steal and more stealing.

They're a very sleek Off the shelf assembling and marketing outfit basically. Everything that is good about their stuff they steal, so that means they're in a heap of trouble if they go abroad to any non third world nation (places with money).

If they actually start designing ANYTHING beyond a makeup software job, then they'd be interesting, otherwise their in the same league as fake rolexes.

• Reply 108 of 122

Just curious about Xioami in general. It's an interesting company and I want to see what they do. It's really not that complicated.

Should I be negative about Xioami so I fit in around here? Would that make you happy?

Let's move on.

You've had ample opportunity to explain what is so interesting about Xiaomi.

Simply repeating "they are interesting" doesn't say anything.

I was hoping there was something specific you could say about them.
  • Reply 109 of 122

Business and economics have no morals.

Don't project your predilections onto others.
  • Reply 110 of 122

Let's move on.

You've had ample opportunity to explain what is so interesting about Xiaomi.

Simply repeating "they are interesting" doesn't say anything.

I was hoping there was something specific you could say about them.

What do you want me to say?

They have gone from zero to the 3rd largest vendor in a few short years.

Doesn't that interest you in the least? Doesn't that make you curious?

The way they sell without stores is interesting to me.

The phones themselves are interesting to me. How they stack up with the competition is interesting to me.

What else specifically do you want me to say?

What is your point?

Can't I just be interested in a company that is doing interesting things that interest me?

How do they do it? Isn't that interesting?

Why does it bother you what I am interested in?

It's clear that you are not interested. I can't help you understand anymore than that.
  • Reply 111 of 122

The phones themselves are interesting to me. How they stack up with the competition is interesting to me.

What is your point?

Can't I just be interested in a company that is doing interesting things that interest me?

It's clear that you are not interested. I can't help you understand anymore than that.

Finally some actual data points.
  • Reply 112 of 122

What is your point?

Finally some actual data points.

Pretty interesting isn't it.

Fascinating in fact.

Glad you finally got it together.
  • Reply 113 of 122

Fascinating in fact.

I did not say it was interesting. I was simply commenting on the fact that you finally provided some specific points.

Fastest growing? That's not hard when you sell mostly cheap phones in China... land of a billion people. You realize the rest of the smartphone market is growing too, right? There was a time when smartphones sold 50 million a year. Now they sell 300 million in a quarter.

Without stores? What does that mean... are all Xiaomi phones sold online?

Look... I'm cognizant of other hardware vendors. But I'm not interested in them.
  • Reply 114 of 122

Fascinating in fact.

I did not say it was interesting. I was simply commenting on the fact that you finally provided some specific points.

Fastest growing? That's not hard when you sell mostly cheap phones in China... land of a billion people. You realize the rest of the smartphone market is growing too, right? There was a time when smartphones sold 50 million a year. Now they sell 300 million in a quarter.

Without stores? What does that mean... are all Xiaomi phones sold online?

Look... I'm cognizant of other hardware vendors. But I'm not interested in them.

Fair enough.

You berated me for specifics simply so you could refute the them.

We do not agree.

I am interested in things that you aren't. Live with it.

Let it go.
  • Reply 115 of 122
    Fair enough.

You berated me for specifics simply so you could refute the them.

We do not agree.

I am interested in things that you aren't. Live with it.

Let it go.

Which Xiaomi phone do you use?
  • Reply 116 of 122
    As
    brakken wrote: »
    It's so Samsung! I'm enjoying the gradually worsening Samsung products and its falling earnings. I wonder how huge a discount they will give Apple to reproduce their chips again? ;) Xiaomi has no where to go back on, unless it's bought by another company or by the governement subsidising its activities.
    as I understand the hatred for Samsung..Xiomi can never be at the Samsung Level.. Things might be different for Apple fans and Samsung Fans, but for the whole world, Apple and Samsung are neck to neck but Xiomi is nowhere near..
  • Reply 117 of 122
    b9bot wrote: »

Copycats get no sales. Samsung and this company are in the same boat. If you don't actually have a great product you will not have great profits to show for it. Xiaomi's CEO thinks by wearing a black turtleneck and jeans he can be like a Steve Jobs. Well I got news for him. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He's a copycat like Samsung, losers!
    keeping Samsung and Xiomi in same level is an idiodic act. It doesn't matter whether u support Apple or not..Just check the world best brands and you can see Apple in No. 1 with Samsung close to it..You can find Xiomi nowhere..While Samsung has being playing copycat, Apple is not an exception either. Praying a company like a religion is another idiotic act.. 6+, healthkit or even Apple Watch are responses from Apple to Samsung..If this was to be re-written in Apple's fan words but putting him in a place of Samsung fanboy then "Apple copied Note, S-health and Gear smartwatch?"
  • Reply 118 of 122
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I will just leave this here for you:

In 2013, it sold 18.7 million smartphones.<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaomi#cite_note-32" style="background:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);white-space:nowrap;" target="_blank">[32]</a>
     and 26.1 million smartphones in first half of 2014.<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaomi#cite_note-33" style="background:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);white-space:nowrap;" target="_blank">[33]</a>
    All the fking numbers were inflated...
  • Reply 119 of 122
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    With Xiaomi's explosive sales growth... what will happen when Xiaomi is the #1 smartphone vendor in the world?

We could probably ask Samsung... who is already the #1 smartphone vendor in the world. Did anything exciting happen there?

I agree... anything is possible. Xiaomi could be the biggest company in the world in 20 years. Or they could be gone.

But it's the same for every company. The predictions game is difficult.

You keep saying Xiaomi is the company to watch. No one else here shares that enthusiasm. I'll start paying attention to Xiaomi when they do something truly remarkable.

Selling a ton of smartphones at a loss is not remarkable. :D
    I will watch Xiaomi to die in 10 years. A company owns zero technology and how the **** it will innovate?
  • Reply 120 of 122
    fallenjt wrote: »
    I will watch Xiaomi to die in 10 years. A company owns zero technology and how the **** it will innovate?

Incidentally, Hugo Barra is a VP with a limited role in Xiaomi...I was under the impression (thanks to vague media coverage) that he was the CEO there. Not the case at all. He's practically just a salesman for non-Chinese markets.