Xiaomi reported earnings of only $56 million in 2013, one-tenth what WSJ reported and 1/150 Apple's

12467

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 122
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

     

    It may only be $56 million but it is profit and for that reason it has a leg up on Amazon. At some point the current Xiaomi cheap knockoff becomes as good as the Apple phone of one or two years ago and at some point it is good enough for most. Xiaomi will continue to take Samsung sales. After they chew up Samsung, Xiaomi and Apple are the major players. Then what? Xiaomi is something to keep an eye on.


     

    Xiaomi is no threat to anyone outside of China!!!  They just got banned from selling their phones in India because of their stolen Patents they're not paying for.  in this case it was Ericsson that sued.   This is the biggest problem they have.  In China they can get away with it.  outside China they can't.  They're not only going to have to pay up, if I was these company's I'd make them pay a little more.   having a Razer thin 1.8% profit isn't going to cut it.  Paying out money for all the patents they're currently stealing, they'll be paying a lot more.  That'll level the playing field with everyone else.   They'll have to bump their prices up more.  Maybe sell a little cheaper then everyone else, but not by much.   Xiaomi is no threat to Apple in China, let alone anywhere else.   I don't think they're much of a threat to anyone else outside of China either.

  • Reply 62 of 122
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

     

    Good enough? The OnePlus One's slogan is "Never Settle", and that phone has constant reports of yellow banding on the screen, mediocre camera, sketchy touchscreen response, and horrific customer service. You should visit their forum; it's an absolute joke. 

     

    I bought one to mess with and it will never replace my Plus as my daily driver.


    LOL...my friend texted me a few weeks ago that he got One+1 on eBay and was so happy because according to him, it was "faster" than iPhone 6+. I said "have fun". I don't know what he's doing now...probably pissing off on the damn shit. 

    iPhone has been proven for years that it's a dinosaur of mobile device...it just fking doesn't die...keeps working and going. My relatives till use iPhone 3 until now and refuse to upgrade until it dies...unreal. I don't see any reason why one even should get another brand.

  • Reply 63 of 122
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xixo View Post





    What will they offer at the Xiaomi Genius Bar? Ramen noodles?

    Maybe Wonton soup.

  • Reply 64 of 122
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

     

    I just don't see Xiaomi as a threat to anyone outside of China.  Even in China Apple is making far, far, far more money then they are selling more phones.  Again, Market Share is meaningless if you have nothing to back that up.    I think Xiaomi is in a world of hurt right now.  


    The problem is that people think Hyundai/Kia with loaded options and nice looking designs (copied European design btw) can take on German cars...Who's in the market for a German car would end up with Korean car for the price? No one. Same shit as mobile phone. I don't see any potential iPhone buyer will settle with a Xiaomi phone.

  • Reply 65 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

     



    I can p

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    This ^^^^^

     

    The first thing I thought reading the article was that there was this little online upstart 20 years ago that did nothing but sell books.

     

    Fast forward 20 years and Amazon is still more or less break even.  But there is not a single person on the planet who can deny that Amazon is a major player with their fingers in many pies.

     

    I'll add that Xiaomi has created a very active fan base not unlike Apple's or Google's.  One of the many reasons they can keep costs down is they let their fans (search for "Mi fans") do the marketing for them instead of traditional advertising.

     

    So I agree 100% that Xiaomi is something to keep an eye on.




    I can pay some Filipino's a very modest amount of money to post hundreds of positive reviews / forum comments on whatever product or issue I want. Don't believe everything you read. 


    You can pay for whatever you want.  Nobody is stopping you.  And I would caution you with the same exact advise to not believe everything you read.

     

    It appears that the phones that Xiaomi has made (they don't actually manufacture their own phones, much like how Apple does not acually manufacture their own phones) has sold out in minutes.

     

    Minutes.  Sold out in minutes.  

     

    They sold out in minutes.  Millions of phones sold through flash sales that last minutes before being sold out.

     

    Think about that for a second and let it set in.  Those are actual sales to actual users in the millions.  In minutes.

     

    Prove that those positive reviews are written by paid Filipino posters, please.

     

    You can't.  Because it is not only untrue, but you can't prove it otherwise.

     

    The REALITY is people are buying the phones and they like them.  Nothing is wrong with that.  Live with it.

     

    Just because its not happening right in front of your face, and isn't sold by Apple, does not mean it's not happening.  The rest of the world is a pretty big place if you open your eyes a little bit.

  • Reply 66 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

     

    I just don't see Xiaomi as a threat to anyone outside of China.  Even in China Apple is making far, far, far more money then they are selling more phones.  Again, Market Share is meaningless if you have nothing to back that up.    I think Xiaomi is in a world of hurt right now.  


    The problem is that people think Hyundai/Kia with loaded options and nice looking designs (copied European design btw) can take on German cars...Who's in the market for a German car would end up with Korean car for the price? No one. Same shit as mobile phone. I don't see any potential iPhone buyer will settle with a Xiaomi phone.


    No offense, but "if you don't see" you are either blind or choosing not to look.  Which is fine.

     

    Much like how Japanese cars aped American cars, and american electronics?  Or wait was it how the Japanese aped German cars too?  

     

    Where are Japanese cars now?  

     

    Weren't (aren't) the Japanese aping both the Germans and the Americans?  And vice versa?  

     

    Or did they also bring their own original ideas to the table?  Pretty sure it's all of the above.

     

    Who is shopping at BMW or Mercedes and also shopping at the Hyundai dealership?  If there is any crossover in those shoppers, they would be astonished at the quality of Korean vehicles today for the money.  I can only speak for myself, but I was both.

     

    Of course Apple would never borrow any industrial design, software implementation ideas, etc. from anyone else?  Apple lives in a creative bubble cut off from the rest of the world right?

  • Reply 67 of 122
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    techlover wrote: »
    You can pay for whatever you want.  Nobody is stopping you.  And I would caution you with the same exact advise to not believe everything you read.

    It appears that the phones that Xiaomi has made (they don't actually manufacture their own phones, much like how Apple does not acually manufacture their own phones) has sold out in minutes.

    Minutes.  Sold out in minutes.  

    They sold out in minutes.  Millions of phones sold through flash sales that last minutes before being sold out.

    Think about that for a second and let it set in.  Those are actual sales to actual users in the millions.  In minutes.

    Prove that those positive reviews are written by paid Filipino posters, please.

    You can't.  Because it is not only untrue, but you can't prove it otherwise.

    The REALITY is people are buying the phones and they like them.  Nothing is wrong with that.  Live with it.

    Just because its not happening right in front of your face, and isn't sold by Apple, does not mean it's not happening.  The rest of the world is a pretty big place if you open your eyes a little bit.

    Sold out means nothing without quantity.

    If Sammy can pay for good reviews, it wouldn't surprise me if Xiaomi did as well.
  • Reply 68 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    You can pay for whatever you want.  Nobody is stopping you.  And I would caution you with the same exact advise to not believe everything you read.

     

    It appears that the phones that Xiaomi has made (they don't actually manufacture their own phones, much like how Apple does not acually manufacture their own phones) has sold out in minutes.

     

    Minutes.  Sold out in minutes.  

     

    They sold out in minutes.  Millions of phones sold through flash sales that last minutes before being sold out.

     

    Think about that for a second and let it set in.  Those are actual sales to actual users in the millions.  In minutes.

     

    Prove that those positive reviews are written by paid Filipino posters, please.

     

    You can't.  Because it is not only untrue, but you can't prove it otherwise.

     

    The REALITY is people are buying the phones and they like them.  Nothing is wrong with that.  Live with it.

     

    Just because its not happening right in front of your face, and isn't sold by Apple, does not mean it's not happening.  The rest of the world is a pretty big place if you open your eyes a little bit.




    Wow, aren't you the defensive one! Not sure why you're so offended by my post. I was trying to make the point that it's entirely possible for Xiaomi to have some paid reviews. Samsung got busted for it last year. But it sounds like you'll 'all in' when it comes to that brand. Congrats on finding a brand you like and trust, especially a brand originating from China! Oh, my poor pea-brain just can't remember how long you said it took for them "sell out" of their phones... Can you please remind me? 

     

    http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/24/5023658/samsung-fined-340000-for-posting-negative-htc-reviews

  • Reply 69 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post



    You can pay for whatever you want.  Nobody is stopping you.  And I would caution you with the same exact advise to not believe everything you read.



    It appears that the phones that Xiaomi has made (they don't actually manufacture their own phones, much like how Apple does not acually manufacture their own phones) has sold out in minutes.



    Minutes.  Sold out in minutes.  



    They sold out in minutes.  Millions of phones sold through flash sales that last minutes before being sold out.



    Think about that for a second and let it set in.  Those are actual sales to actual users in the millions.  In minutes.



    Prove that those positive reviews are written by paid Filipino posters, please.



    You can't.  Because it is not only untrue, but you can't prove it otherwise.



    The REALITY is people are buying the phones and they like them.  Nothing is wrong with that.  Live with it.



    Just because its not happening right in front of your face, and isn't sold by Apple, does not mean it's not happening.  The rest of the world is a pretty big place if you open your eyes a little bit.




    Sold out means nothing without quantity.



    If Sammy can pay for good reviews, it wouldn't surprise me if Xiaomi did as well.

    I will just leave this here for you:

     

    In 2013, it sold 18.7 million smartphones.[32] and 26.1 million smartphones in first half of 2014.[33]

  • Reply 70 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Sold out means nothing without quantity.



    If Sammy can pay for good reviews, it wouldn't surprise me if Xiaomi did as well.



    Wasn't he clear? He said millions, but I think he meant.. One Hun-dred Billlllllllllion! 

  • Reply 71 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    You can pay for whatever you want.  Nobody is stopping you.  And I would caution you with the same exact advise to not believe everything you read.

     

    It appears that the phones that Xiaomi has made (they don't actually manufacture their own phones, much like how Apple does not acually manufacture their own phones) has sold out in minutes.

     

    Minutes.  Sold out in minutes.  

     

    They sold out in minutes.  Millions of phones sold through flash sales that last minutes before being sold out.

     

    Think about that for a second and let it set in.  Those are actual sales to actual users in the millions.  In minutes.

     

    Prove that those positive reviews are written by paid Filipino posters, please.

     

    You can't.  Because it is not only untrue, but you can't prove it otherwise.

     

    The REALITY is people are buying the phones and they like them.  Nothing is wrong with that.  Live with it.

     

    Just because its not happening right in front of your face, and isn't sold by Apple, does not mean it's not happening.  The rest of the world is a pretty big place if you open your eyes a little bit.




    Wow, aren't you the defensive one! Not sure why you're so offended by my post. I was trying to make the point that it's entirely possible for Xiaomi to have some paid reviews. Samsung got busted for it last year. But it sounds like you'll 'all in' when it comes to that brand. Congrats on finding a brand you like and trust, especially a brand originating from China! Oh, my poor pea-brain just can't remember how long you said it took for them "sell out" of their phones... Can you please remind me? 

     

    http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/24/5023658/samsung-fined-340000-for-posting-negative-htc-reviews


    Not offended, nor am I defensive.

     

    Just trying to spread some facts and truth in the land of the delusional.  You made a delusional claim with not a single fact to back it up.

     

    Please do not conflate Samsung with Xiaomi.

     

    I asked you to back up your claim that Xiaomi were paying Filipinos for positive reviews, as you said they were.  A link damning Samsung is not the same.  We all know what Samsung did is vehemently wrong and shed light on what is possible.

     

    Please tell me that you know the difference.  

     

    You should not imply guilt for Xiaomi out of thin air with no claim of actual facts, simply because you do not like Samsung.

  • Reply 72 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    I will just leave this here for you:

     

    In 2013, it sold 18.7 million smartphones.[32] and 26.1 million smartphones in first half of 2014.[33]




    Quoted directly off the Wikipedia page that was clearly written by an Asian! Read this line and tell me otherwise: "In selling the Xiaomi smartphone, Xiaomi employs a strategy that is very unlike other smartphone makers such as Samsung and Apple." 

     

    So to recap, we're arguing about a POTENTIAL of manufactured sales numbers and / or reviews, and you're one line of "facts" likely comes directly from the accused! Good one!

  • Reply 73 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    I will just leave this here for you:

     

    In 2013, it sold 18.7 million smartphones.[32] and 26.1 million smartphones in first half of 2014.[33]




    Quoted directly off the Wikipedia page that was clearly written by an Asian! Read this line and tell me otherwise: "In selling the Xiaomi smartphone, Xiaomi employs a strategy that is very unlike other smartphone makers such as Samsung and Apple." 

     

    So to recap, we're arguing about a POTENTIAL of manufactured sales numbers and / or reviews, and you're one line of "facts" likely comes directly from the accused! Good one!


    OK.  Fair enough.

     

    If IDC is good enough for DED then its good enough for me:

     

    http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS25224914

     

    Top Five Smartphone Vendors, Shipments, Market Share and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q3 2014 Preliminary Data (Units in Millions) 




































































    Vendor

    2014Q3 Shipment Volumes

    2014Q3 Market Share

    2013Q3 Shipment Volumes

    2013Q3 Market Share

    3Q14/3Q13 Change

    1. Samsung

    78.1

    23.8%

    85.0

    32.5%

    -8.2%

    2. Apple

    39.3

    12.0%

    33.8

    12.9%

    16.1%

    3. Xiaomi

    17.3

    5.3%

    5.6

    2.1%

    211.3%

    4. Lenovo*

    16.9

    5.2%

    12.3

    4.7%

    38.0%

    4. LG*

    16.8

    5.1%

    12.0

    4.6%

    39.8%

    Others

    159.2

    48.6%

    113.0

    43.2%

    40.8%

    Total

    327.6

    100.0%

    261.7

    100.0%

    25.2%

     

    And please save your "shipped vs. sold" argument.  Xiaomi has few if any actual stores, and they do not keep any inventory on hand.  Unlike Samsung who has lord knows how many units sitting on shelves, in stores and warehouses.

     

    Shipped = sold for Xiaomi as far as I can tell.

  • Reply 74 of 122
    techlover wrote: »
    I will just leave this here for you:

    In 2013, it sold 18.7 million smartphones... and 26.1 million smartphones in first half of 2014.

    Good for Xiaomi. But guess what... Xiaomi is what I call "JAAV"

    That stands for "Just Another Android Vendor"

    There were 280 million Android phones sold last quarter from over 60 manufacturers. No doubt Android phones sell in incredible quantities.

    I'm just not seeing how that affects what Apple is doing.

    Yes... Xiaomi may end up being the #2 smartphone manufacturer in the world. And they could be the #1 Android manufacturer someday too.

    But so what? You say you will "keep an eye on" what Xiaomi is doing. What are you watching them do? They're "Just Another Android Vendor" as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 75 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    Not offended, nor am I defensive.

     

    Just trying to spread some facts and truth in the land of the delusional.  You made a delusional claim with not a single fact to back it up.

     

    Please do not conflate Samsung with Xiaomi.

     

    I asked you to back up your claim that Xiaomi were paying Filipinos for positive reviews, as you said they were.  A link damning Samsung is not the same.  We all know what Samsung did is vehemently wrong and shed light on what is possible.

     

    Please tell me that you know the difference.  

     

    You should not imply guilt for Xiaomi out of thin air with no claim of actual facts, simply because you do not like Samsung.




    First off, your posts are very defensive. Berating = a defense mechanism. Secondly, I never said Xiaomi was paying Filipinos, what I said is: 

     

    "I can pay some Filipino's a very modest amount of money to post hundreds of positive reviews / forum comments on whatever product or issue I want. Don't believe everything you read." 

     

    Broad stroke there. Can you see the difference? I was merely stating that SOME companies (including Samsung) pay for positive reviews and forum comments and that nobody should turn a blind eye when it comes to these types of things. Assuming a Chinese based company like Xiaomi should be exempt of wrongdoing is ludicrous. Especially since they've been banned from the Indian market due to major patent infringement! Now we learn that Xiaomi isn't nearly as profitable as they were claiming. In fact they only make 1.8% profit. If you think they'll be able to sell here in the US with all those patent infringements, you're sadly mistaken. Xiaomi, like most Chinese and Korean companies, lie, cheat and steal. If you want to support them, go ahead. My money goes elsewhere. 

     

    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/india-blocks-sales-of-chinese-xiaomi-phones-2014-12-14?reflink=zacks

  • Reply 76 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    I will just leave this here for you:

     

    In 2013, it sold 18.7 million smartphones.[32] and 26.1 million smartphones in first half of 2014.[33]




    Quoted directly off the Wikipedia page that was clearly written by an Asian! Read this line and tell me otherwise: "In selling the Xiaomi smartphone, Xiaomi employs a strategy that is very unlike other smartphone makers such as Samsung and Apple." 

     

    So to recap, we're arguing about a POTENTIAL of manufactured sales numbers and / or reviews, and you're one line of "facts" likely comes directly from the accused! Good one!


    Also who gives a rats ass who wrote the wikipedia entry as long as its accurate.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post



    I will just leave this here for you:



    In 2013, it sold 18.7 million smartphones... and 26.1 million smartphones in first half of 2014.




    Good for Xiaomi. But guess what... Xiaomi is what I call "JAAV"



    That stands for "Just Another Android Vendor"



    There were 280 million Android phones sold last quarter from over 60 manufacturers. No doubt Android phones sell in incredible quantities.



    I'm just not seeing how that affects what Apple is doing.



    Yes... Xiaomi may end up being the #2 smartphone manufacturer in the world. And they could be the #1 Android manufacturer someday too.



    But so what? You say you will "keep an eye on" what Xiaomi is doing. What are you watching them do? They're "Just Another Android Vendor" as far as I'm concerned.

    Well if you can't see why its important to watch what others are doing, and how that benefits or detracts from what Apple is doing, then I can't help you.  

     

    Maybe open your eyes a little bit.  That's about the best advice I give you since you clearly do not want to see what is happening anywhere else in the world.

     

    If there are any investors around here, or anyone with just a hint of intelligence, they would fully see that Xiaomi is obviously "one to watch" as they are growing rapidly.  

     

    200% year over year growth.  Android or who-gives-a-shit-platform, I'd like that kind of growth in my portfolio wouldn't you?  

  • Reply 77 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    Not offended, nor am I defensive.

     

    Just trying to spread some facts and truth in the land of the delusional.  You made a delusional claim with not a single fact to back it up.

     

    Please do not conflate Samsung with Xiaomi.

     

    I asked you to back up your claim that Xiaomi were paying Filipinos for positive reviews, as you said they were.  A link damning Samsung is not the same.  We all know what Samsung did is vehemently wrong and shed light on what is possible.

     

    Please tell me that you know the difference.  

     

    You should not imply guilt for Xiaomi out of thin air with no claim of actual facts, simply because you do not like Samsung.




    First off, your posts are very defensive. Berating = a defense mechanism. Secondly, I never said Xiaomi was paying Filipinos, what I said is: 

     

    "I can pay some Filipino's a very modest amount of money to post hundreds of positive reviews / forum comments on whatever product or issue I want. Don't believe everything you read." 

     

    Broad stroke there. Can you see the difference? I was merely stating that SOME companies (including Samsung) pay for positive reviews and forum comments and that nobody should turn a blind eye when it comes to these types of things. Assuming a Chinese based company like Xiaomi should be exempt of wrongdoing is ludicrous. Especially since they've been banned from the Indian market due to major patent infringement! Now we learn that Xiaomi isn't nearly as profitable as they were claiming. In fact they only make 1.8% profit. If you think they'll be able to sell here in the US with all those patent infringements, you're sadly mistaken. Xiaomi, like most Chinese and Korean companies, lie, cheat and steal. If you want to support them, go ahead. My money goes elsewhere. 

     

    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/india-blocks-sales-of-chinese-xiaomi-phones-2014-12-14?reflink=zacks


    Again, you have no proof that Xiaomi posted fake comments like Samsung did, so why should I assume they did based on some patents infringement in India.

     

    You like to conflate things that are not related to each other and assume conclusions that reflect those conflations.

     

    My sincerest apologies if you think that my pursuit of actual facts, and living in reality is "Berating" to you.  I cannot control what you think you feel when you read what I say.  It is not my intention to be hostile.  My intention is simply to be accurate and honest and truthful.

     

    If facts hurt your feelings I don't know what to say to make you feel better.

     

    I am the first to admit I am wrong around here. 

  • Reply 78 of 122
    OMG you're right! I guess I had blocked that one from memory...
    I can't believe their level of idiocy. I wonder if the word 'clusterfuc*' is in Chinese...
  • Reply 79 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    200% year over year growth.  Android or who-gives-a-shit-platform, I'd like that kind of growth in my portfolio wouldn't you?  


    Knock yourself out. It's a free country (that is, if you live here -- you sound like you work for Xiaomi, so it could be elsewhere that you live).

     

    Please stop shilling for a third-rate copyist of a company. You're not going to win any points or converts in this forum. Take your arguments on behalf of cheap stolen crap elsewhere. Thanks.

  • Reply 80 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

     

    200% year over year growth.  Android or who-gives-a-shit-platform, I'd like that kind of growth in my portfolio wouldn't you?  


    Knock yourself out. It's a free country (that is, if you live here -- you sound like you work for Xiaomi, so it could be elsewhere that you live).

     

    Please stop shilling for a third-rate copyist of a company. You're not going to win any points or converts in this forum. Take your arguments on behalf of cheap stolen crap elsewhere. Thanks.


    You are right, it is indeed a free country where I am.

     

    So I will say what I like, wherever, and whenever I so choose.  So long as I am not hurting anyone, or engaging in anything illegal.  

     

    Nor have I said anything worthy of being modded or banned here at AI.  Go ahead and look.

     

    If you do not want to read what I write, then I can not help you.  Because you just did.

Sign In or Register to comment.