TAG Heuer to take on Apple Watch with smartwatch initiative, plans acquisitions

Comments

• Reply 101 of 185
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So you are saying that every feature phone Nokia, or Motorola sold in 2007 were a smartphone as they all had an OS? Good lad, it is important at AI to change the rules as you go along...

Link a source as your retort.

I picked a single source that indicates how a smartphone originally was defined; it certainly might not be definitive, but it also certainly assures that your definition isn't definitive either.

• Reply 102 of 185
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't think even foggyhill agrees with himself. He seems to think that Nokia sold 60 million phones in 2007 rather than 60 million smart phones.

The God damn 60M phones were not smart phone by any modern definition of the term.

• Reply 103 of 185
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jfanning wrote: »
    You mean like how the AI crowd decided all other phones weren't a smartphone as they didn't have a touch screen?

Many did have touch screen. They just weren't capacitive, nor multi touch.
  • Reply 104 of 185
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Why?

The first iPhone had email, messaging, calendar, web browsing, maps, etc. Those were features built into the OS.

That, to me, sounds like a smartphone OS.

Like I said in the other posts, there was no support for user installable apps.

Also, you guys have to get all your stories sorted, the other guys are saying Smartphones around in 2007 weren't really smartphones, but they supported everything in your list, and more
  • Reply 105 of 185
    tmay wrote: »
    Link a source as your retort.

I picked a single source that indicates how a smartphone originally was defined; it certainly might not be definitive, but it also certainly assures that your definition isn't definitive either.

What are you going on about, I quote you saying
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

Minimally, a phone with an OS.

Your definition is invalid.

I replied saying your definition contradicted itself, I even said the first link in your definition, is that no enough info for you?
  • Reply 106 of 185
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

What are you going on about, I quote you saying

I replied saying your definition contradicted itself, I even said the first link in your definition, is that no enough info for you?

Oh dear,

I was working, being self employed and all,  and it took longer to finish my reply, so I was temporally out of sync. That I chose not to further respond after that was considered and appropriate. 

To wit; a smartphone definition that I or anyone else for that matter, puts up on the web is certainly viable, but it doesn't mean that it is true. The real issue is whether the industry considered the iPhone 1 a smartphone. Me, I don't really care what the definition is; it doesn't change history.

• Reply 107 of 185
    Like I said in the other posts, there was no support for user installable apps.

I had the flip-phone shown below. It had user-installable apps. Are you telling me it was running a smartphone OS because of that?

• Reply 108 of 185
    I had the flip-phone shown below. It had user-installable apps. Are you telling me it was running a smartphone OS because of that?

What OS was it running? Also, java or native apps?
  • Reply 109 of 185
    tmay wrote: »
    To wit; a smartphone definition that I or anyone else for that matter, puts up on the web is certainly viable, but it doesn't mean that it is true. The real issue is whether the industry considered the iPhone 1 a smartphone. Me, I don't really care what the definition is; it doesn't change history.

Oh dear indeed. I think you have dug yourself a little hole and don't know how to get out of it.

The iPhone 1 was a smartphone, but only after iPhone OS 2.0 was released, remember you could update your iPhone when the new version of the OS came out...
  • Reply 110 of 185
    What OS was it running?

Does it matter?

User-installable apps is not the only requirement to be considered a "smartphone" OS.

That flip-phone didn't have GPS or maps and didn't have native email. Yes... it had some sort of web browser (WAP) and crappy little apps... but I wouldn't consider it a "smartphone" at all. It didn't have WIFI. You couldn't export contacts or integrate into Exchange or any other system. The list of things it didn't have is longer compared to actual smartphones.
  • Reply 111 of 185
    Does it matter?

User-installable apps is not the only requirement to be considered a "smartphone" OS.

That flip-phone didn't have GPS or maps and didn't have native email. Yes... it had some sort of web browser (WAP) and crappy little apps... but I wouldn't consider it a "smartphone" at all. It didn't have WIFI. You couldn't export contacts or integrate into Exchange or any other system. The list of things it didn't have is longer compared to actual smartphones.

Yes, the OS does matter, I can't tell even what the model is from that crap image.

I have never said it was the only requirement, but it was one of the requirements that iPhone OS 1.x was missing.

In 2007 there were Sybmian based phones that had native email, GPS, Maps, web browser (plus WAP if you were sad enough to use that), WiFi, user installable native apps (actually S60 had that from the start), they were smartphones
  • Reply 112 of 185
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Those early smartphones were phones with a few computer features bolted on. The iPhone was a computer (as witnessed by it's full desktop browser) with a phone bolted on. i.e. basically a little comptuer with a radio plugged in to one USB port and a microphone on another, with OS X (um, sorry, iPhoneOS - same thing) drivers for them both. That is the turning point. It will be the same difference between the Apple Watch and a TAG Heuer watch I bet.

• Reply 113 of 185
    Yes, the OS does matter, I can't tell even what the model is from that crap image.

I have never said it was the only requirement, but it was one of the requirements that iPhone OS 1.x was missing.

In 2007 there were Sybmian based phones that had native email, GPS, Maps, web browser (plus WAP if you were sad enough to use that), WiFi, user installable native apps (actually S60 had that from the start), they were smartphones

The OS on that flip-phone was some crappy flip-phone OS. I don't think it even had a name... it's whatever Verizon flip-phones had on them. It was basically firmware anyway... I honestly think we're giving it too much credit by calling it an "operating system"

Anyway... here's my point:

Let's say a smartphone can be defined by 6 things.

But if a particular phone only has 5 of those things... is it not a smartphone at all? Because that's what you're suggesting.

Yes... the first iPhone didn't have user-installable apps. But look at what else it DID have. As other people have said... it was a little pocket computer that happened to make phone calls.

The original iPhone and a flip-phone are as different as can be.
  • Reply 114 of 185
    The OS on that flip-phone was some crappy flip-phone OS. I don't think it even had a name... it's whatever Verizon flip-phones had on them. It was basically firmware anyway... I honestly think we're giving it too much credit by calling it an "operating system"

Anyway... here's my point:

Let's say a smartphone can be defined by 6 things.

But if a particular phone only has 5 of those things... is it not a smartphone at all? Because that's what you're suggesting.

Yes... the first iPhone didn't have user-installable apps. But look at what else it DID have. As other people have said... it was a little pocket computer that happened to make phone calls.

The original iPhone and a flip-phone are as different as can be.

The only person comparing a smartphone to a flip phone is you.

The only thing the iPhone had at release that was unique was multi touch.
  • Reply 115 of 185
    The only person comparing a smartphone to a flip phone is you.

The only thing the iPhone had at release that was unique was multi touch.

You said the original iPhone was not a smartphone because it didn't run user-installed apps.

I said there is much more that defines a smartphone than user-installed apps.

One feature... or the lack of one feature... it not the difference between a smartphone and a non-smartphone.
  • Reply 116 of 185
    You said the original iPhone was not a smartphone because it didn't run user-installed apps.

I said there is much more that defines a smartphone than user-installed apps.

One feature... or the lack of one feature... it not the difference between a smartphone and a non-smartphone.

So according to your theory your flip phone was a smartphone?
  • Reply 117 of 185

That is a Samsung SCH-A930.

It supports BREW apps, so non native, also it only supported WAP browsing, so no, I wouldn't call it a smartphone

But it supports something the iPhone didn't get to the 3GS, video recording. Talk me through that one, apart from expecting people to purchase a new phone, why didn't Apple just supply a video capture app? Even Nokia did that with the 7650 to give it video capture support.
  • Reply 118 of 185
    So according to your theory your flip phone was a smartphone?

That is a Samsung SCH-A930.

It supports BREW apps, so non native, also it only supported WAP browsing, so no, I wouldn't call it a smartphone

But it supports something the iPhone didn't get to the 3GS, video recording. Talk me through that one, apart from expecting people to purchase a new phone, why didn't Apple just supply a video capture app? Even Nokia did that with the 7650 to give it video capture support.

No... I do not think that flip-phone was a smartphone. But I DO think the original iPhone was a smartphone.

The inclusion of... or lack of... certain features isn't what makes the difference between a smartphone and a non-smartphone.

You need to look at the entire package and what it offers.

Yes... the original iPhone didn't have native app support or video recording... but it did have many other things. It had WIFI, GPS, visual voicemail, IMAP email, a desktop-class web browser, and so on.
  • Reply 119 of 185

No... I do not think that flip-phone was a smartphone. But I DO think the original iPhone was a smartphone.

The inclusion of... or lack of... certain features isn't what makes the difference between a smartphone and a non-smartphone.

You need to look at the entire package and what it offers.

Yes... the original iPhone didn't have native app support or video recording... but it did have many other things. It had WIFI, GPS, visual voicemail, IMAP email, a desktop-class web browser, and so on.

So how many features does it have to be missing before they can't be a smartphone anymore? 1, 2, 10. By your logic a toaster can be a smartphone, after all it is only missing a few features.

And again, what from your list of different that what other smartphones were offering at the same time, nothing apart from multi touch, in fact the iPhone was missing a number of features (Apps, Video, 3G) that the others had
  • Reply 120 of 185
    So how many features does it have to be missing before they can't be a smartphone anymore? 1, 2, 10. By your logic a toaster can be a smartphone, after all it is only missing a few features.

And again, what from your list of different that what other smartphones were offering at the same time, nothing apart from multi touch, in fact the iPhone was missing a number of features (Apps, Video, 3G) that the others had

Alright man... you lost it with the toaster quote.