TAG Heuer to take on Apple Watch with smartwatch initiative, plans acquisitions

Comments

• Reply 121 of 185
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And again, what from your list of different that what other smartphones were offering at the same time, nothing apart from multi touch, in fact the iPhone was missing a number of features (Apps, Video, 3G) that the others had

If it had nothing much more than the others, why would it suddenly take off and dominate the market, effectively ending such big names as Nokia and Blackberry? People don't switch from the established brands they're used to if a new entrant is only a little bit better, it has to be a lot better.

• Reply 122 of 185
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Alright man... you lost it with the toaster quote.

If that is what you think, fine. But what about your claim?
  • Reply 123 of 185
    ascii wrote: »
    If it had nothing much more than the others, why would it suddenly take off and dominate the market, effectively ending such big names as Nokia and Blackberry? People don't switch from the established brands they're used to if a new entrant is only a little bit better, it has to be a lot better.

But it didn't, it was quite slow to take off, in fact it took a while to get an international following (you know, the 96% non USA part of the world), it took Apple to add additional features that these users were used to having on their smartphones, 3G, app etc.
  • Reply 124 of 185
    jfanning wrote: »
    If that is what you think, fine. But what about your claim?

My claim?

You're the one who said the original iPhone was NOT a smartphone.

So what was it?

WIFI, data, email, web, maps, etc.... it was clearly not just a feature phone.

There were Palms and Blackberries that didn't have some of the things you keep mentioning... were they still smartphones?
  • Reply 125 of 185
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

But it didn't, it was quite slow to take off, in fact it took a while to get an international following (you know, the 96% non USA part of the world), it took Apple to add additional features that these users were used to having on their smartphones, 3G, app etc.

They did add new features over time but I don't think that's why they were successful. The success comes from being the easiest to use, and that was present from the first revision. That is why I bought one anyway. The user interfaces on some other smart phones at the time felt like trying to program a DVD player. 

That is what I wonder about with the Apple Watch. They are not entering an existing smartwatch market where all the existing products have crappy UI. The existing smartwatches (e.g. Pebble) have decent UI. I think Apple's approach this time will be to have more classy design than the others (e.g. gold version) and also to be a more fully fledged computer than the others. We will see if that is enough.

• Reply 126 of 185
    slurpy wrote: »
    Your post shows precisely why the Watch will fail.

Everyone was clamouring for an Apple phone because it was such an obvious thing and everyone wanted one.

No-one is clamouring for an Apple watch because no-one wants one.

History will reduce the Apple Watch—if it ever reaches the shop floor—to a footnote in the annals of technology. It will be seen as the gimmick for the thumb twiddlers before the next big thing in years to come.

My post "shows precisely why the Watch will fail"? Really?

I hope you have the decency and the class to self-ban yourself, after all these thousands of confident, matter-of-fact proclamations you're makng turn out to be epically wrong. Most human being would do so, out of shame. But I don't think you have any concept of that, so I doubt it will happen. You will carry on, proclaim that it doesnt matter, because the Apple Watch "should have" failed, and it's success is a mere fluke that will get reversed sometime in the future. 

Seriously, your childish, false generalizations ("No-one is clamouring for an Apple watch because no-one wants one.") are beyond disgusting and nauseating. Why the **** can't you have a bit more humility in your asinine predictions, and entertain the possibility that your God-like powers of prediction may be wrong? That's what people with a shred of humanity, humility, decency, and sanity do. Your extreme obsession with the Apple Watch failing, as well as your self-assuredness on the matter, borders on sociopathy and insanity. Thank God Apple doesn't have people with your disgusting brand of cynicism and self-hate leading the company.  Noone was clamouring for an iOS based tablet either. How many hundreds of MILLIONS has that product sold so far? Do you believe Apple should not have released the iPad?

Your posts on this forum fall under 3 categories:

1. How much of a catastrophe the Beats acquisition is
    2. How horrible the iPhone 6 is because of the fake "bend-gate"
    3. How horrible the Apple Watch is, the certainty of failure
    4. Random right-wing racism and bigotry

Pathetic. I could create a bot that has more posting variety than you do. 

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
  • Reply 127 of 185
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

You have too many comments to comment on...can you still breath? /s

Apple laid down a platform to redefine an entire market and continued to build upon it year after year.  User installable apps were baked in from the start although not available to the end user until the following year.  They got the phone out there to see how it was received and most likely to make sure any bugs were worked out then they opened the platform to 3rd party developers.  Look at last years TouchID release...test it for a year and then this year put it to use for what they had already envisioned before TouchID was even launched to start with.

Their vision of what a smart phone is to be has defined the market from the beginning and continues to do so.  Also, Steve Jobs said he was looking at what, 2% - 3% of the market which he acknowledged was big and yet has gone on to completely redefine the cell phone market.

• Defined the Smart Phone market

• Broke the bonds of carrier locked features

• Put control into the users hands

• Opened revenue streams for someone other than the carriers

• enter your own here...

I would say things have changed since Apple got into the market.

• Reply 128 of 185
    icoco3 wrote: »
    [*] Broke the bonds of carrier locked features

Did they do this by locking the devices to a carrier worse than anyone else had??
  • Reply 129 of 185
    You're the one who said the original iPhone was NOT a smartphone.

No, I haven't said this. I said until iPhone OS 2.x was released the iPhone wasn't a smartphone, there is a clear difference.

WIFI, data, email, web, maps, etc.... it was clearly not just a feature phone.

Well there were feature phones with the exact same features, so why wouldn't it be a feature phone,

There were Palms and Blackberries that didn't have some of the things you keep mentioning... were they still smartphones?

Which models?
  • Reply 130 of 185
    Quote:

Did they do this by locking the devices to a carrier worse than anyone else had??

Not even sure how that fits in or what point you are making.  Kinda like changing the subject.  Just stick to the thoughts presented instead of injecting an irrelevant issue.

• Reply 131 of 185
    Not even sure how that fits in or what point you are making.  Kinda like changing the subject.  Just stick to the thoughts presented instead of injecting an irrelevant issue.

You made the comment, I asked you a question based on that comment. If you didn't want anyone to comment on it, why did you make the statement in the first place?
  • Reply 132 of 185
    Quote:

You made the comment, I asked you a question based on that comment. If you didn't want anyone to comment on it, why did you make the statement in the first place?

Ahh "enter your own here..."  So, they locked them to ATT out of the gate (nothing unusual back then) but that eventually changed in the market as a whole.  Changed just like a whole host of things have changed in the last 7 1/2 years.  When analyzing these things, we have to remember what the general state of the market was then and many of those things have changed since that time.  When....??  After Apple introduced the iPhone.

• Reply 133 of 185
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Your post shows precisely why the Watch will fail.

Everyone was clamouring for an Apple phone because it was such an obvious thing and everyone wanted one.

No-one is clamouring for an Apple watch because no-one wants one.

History will reduce the Apple Watch—if it ever reaches the shop floor—to a footnote in the annals of technology. It will be seen as the gimmick for the thumb twiddlers before the next big thing in years to come.

More absolute statements 

"No-one is clamouring for an Apple watch because no-one wants one." There's logic for you hiding behind a stupid opinion

Everyone, - no,  it wasn't obvious and no,  not everyone wanted one.

This is the most hilarious fracked up post you have ever produced,  you troll. Are you trying to become effing famous by out trolling Dvorak when he said Apple should stop making the iPhone?

Its going to be fun seeing your opinion proved wrong over and over and over? And it won't enter the annals of history but a foot up your anal cavity

• Reply 134 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

You Brits are hilarious. Small feeble-minded class ridden people who think they are civilized and look down their noses at the rest of the world like you own it. You Sir are a totally unconscious of the societal programming you are a part of. 

• Reply 135 of 185
    paul94544 wrote: »
    You Brits are hilarious. Small feeble-minded class ridden people who think they are civilized and look down their noses at the rest of the world like you own it. You Sir are a totally unconscious of the societal programming you are a part of. 

Why attack an entire people?
  • Reply 136 of 185

Clichés are the weak man's imitation of wisdom.

(It's not, but I thought it sounded good.)
  • Reply 137 of 185
    solipsismy wrote: »

And imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ????
  • Reply 138 of 185
    Why attack an entire people?

Because they deserve it?
  • Reply 139 of 185

Ahh "enter your own here..."  So, they locked them to ATT out of the gate (nothing unusual back then) but that eventually changed in the market as a whole.  Changed just like a whole host of things have changed in the last 7 1/2 years.  When analyzing these things, we have to remember what the general state of the market was then and many of those things have changed since that time.  When....??  After Apple introduced the iPhone.

Actually it was unusual back then, stop confusing the practices of the USA with the rest of the world. I purchased unlocked Nokia smartphones in 2007 (actually I purchased Nokia unlocked smartphones in 2002), it wasn't hard to find them.
  • Reply 140 of 185
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I like that. May steal it :)