Consumers take 'wait-and-see' approach to Apple Watch ahead of expected Q2 debut

Comments

• Reply 21 of 132
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steffen Jobbs View Post

If I thought I could peer into the future and actually predict what's going to be a hot product, I'd probably have been rich a long time ago.

Many people have done exactly that. All those people who bought AAPL back when it was super low have made a killing on it.

• Reply 22 of 132

I'm curious as how big their survey sample was....   The lower the size of the sample set, the more inflated the numbers are....  if I remember my statistics course correctly. :smokey:

• Reply 23 of 132
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who has watched the ?Watch special event video more than once?

At least six times here… To try and determine how Apple Pay works with the Apple Watch!
  • Reply 24 of 132
    Seems right. I was thrilled to leave my wrist watch behind once iphone came along. But as we all know the Apple price doesn't include Apple Care or the cost of apps. Apple Care adds $100 to every purchase....at least. Anything not gold plated, completely water proof and highly durable will not deliver the value for the buck regardless of cost. But aside of all that...we all know that first genre ration products just that. Wait for at least generation 3 or 4.
    Time will tell us.
  • Reply 25 of 132
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike022465 View Post

I'm curious as how big their survey sample was....   The lower the size of the sample set, the more inflated the numbers are....  if I remember my statistics course correctly. :smokey:

The whole premise of even conducting such a survey at this moment is pointless in my opinion, so it doesn't really matter what the sample size was, again in my opinion.

And I doubt that their sample size was any big either. They probably only surveyed a small group of people.

A sample size of 96 gives a margin of error that's 10%, according to what I see on wiki.

• Reply 26 of 132
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/53557/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

All this and the ability to buy donuts too …
  • Reply 27 of 132
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronstark View Post

Wait for at least generation 3 or 4.

I don't agree with that mentality at all.

You're gonna get suckered by the infamous battery drainage bug that will occur in gen 4.

As for me, I'm obviously waiting on gen. 5. That's the ticket right there.

• Reply 28 of 132
    ronstark wrote: »
    Seems right. I was thrilled to leave my wrist watch behind once iphone came along. But as we all know the Apple price doesn't include Apple Care or the cost of apps. Apple Care adds $100 to every purchase....at least. Anything not gold plated, completely water proof and highly durable will not deliver the value for the buck regardless of cost. But aside of all that...we all know that first genre ration products just that. Wait for at least generation 3 or 4.
    Time will tell us.

Yeah, the iPhone 1 and the iPad 1 were real bombs …
  • Reply 29 of 132
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

At least six times here… To try and determine how Apple Pay works with the Apple Watch!

It'd be great if Apple would break up the keynote in separate sub chapter videos of no more than 10 minutes. This way it becomes more sharable on social media as well.

• Reply 30 of 132
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, the iPhone 1 and the iPad 1 were real bombs …

I never understood certain people on the internet who pop up and make such clever statements such as "don't ever buy the first gen of an Apple product", or "wait until so and so until you buy".

As if I'm going to wait around for years to buy an item, while I can be enjoying it right now in the here and present.

I have this one procrastinating acquaintance who's been mumbling about buying an Apple laptop for years already now. Yet, for whatever incomprehensible reason, there is always some new excuse as to why they're waiting. It is beyond pathetic.

Bugs can occur in any generation of a product's history, as new hardware designs and features are introduced. 

• Reply 31 of 132
    A more interesting survey might include:

How many owners of iPhone 5 and newer are iOS developers?

How many of these will write/modify iOS apps for the Apple Watch?

How many of these will buy Apple Watches as soon as they are available?

How many?
  • Reply 32 of 132
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I think this is the first Apple focused survey I've seen where the interest has diminished closer to release.

I am actually getting more intruigued by the watch as more and more details get released (SDK, UX-guidelines, etc.).

What would win me over is what I would call "Intelligent Time", it is a seamless integration of 'iCal - maps (directions) - ? watch'.

e.g. it would be great if the watch would warn me that I should quit Appleinsider if I want to arrive on time at my upcoming meeting.

• Reply 33 of 132
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    This main article is stupid obviously...

I will bet my left nut that the haptic touch communication is going to be very popular as a killer feature by itself.

Imagine all the boyfriends, girlfriends, spouses. There is a reason men buy their women roses on valentines. The expectations for communication in society will be changed by haptics very rapidly. If a girl has an iwatch and is using haptics with her friend, her boyfriend is getting one almost certainly. Touch is not just "personal" as Apple mentioned, it is sexual as well. Apple did not want to say this at the conference. There is a distinctly addictive nature to touch.

If you think text messaging became addictive and transformed culture fast, you haven't seen anything yet.

Since the touch communication is apple specific (since you can't do this between andriod and apple even if samsung adds this to their watch), this will further entrench apple ecosystem owners. Samsung and others will copy this, but it will be too late since Apple will already have the cultural penetration by then. Also as usual, samsung will find it hard to implement this well in the outset in the same way they had trouble copying touchID. Also almost nobody except tech nerds are buying google related watches. You cant send someone a haptic message if nobody is wearing the watch... Apple will see rapid user base expansion due to wealthier overall customers with a propensity to buy apple's new products despite prices. I bought a retina 5k imac... You dont think I'm gonna take the apple watch for a spin? Obviously if I buy one, the wife is gonna get one... And the kids are going to be wishing for one... Especially as a few of their friends are sending touches to eachother's boy/girlfriends in class. Next thing you know they will be banning them in class when some girl starts putting the watch near her groin while some dude is sending her a "message" or vice versa. As if sexting wasn't an expected consequence of texting.

The pleasure centers in our brain want to be stimulated, and touch has a significantly more sexual connotation at a subconscious level than you might overtly realize. Remember when that girl you liked just happened to walk by and her hair or dress brushed up against you... Subtle but powerful.

Underestimating haptic communication is a huge mistake. I am guessing Apple stock at 150-200 by 2017. They will sell out the apple watch despite max production for the next 2 years.
  • Reply 34 of 132
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I was excited about the watch but I think it will be quite expensive to invest in generation 1 model. I decided to get a pebble for $80 and I'm having fun with it for now. I can definitely see value in this product category. I imagine I will eventually migrate to the Apple watch but I'll give them a couple of generations to work out any teething problems.
  • Reply 35 of 132
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    The other day I found a website review of various smart watches with pictures of the devices on a wrist. What struck me most was how unbelievably big and chunky they all were. I am guessing that for anyone with a small or medium sized wrist theses smart watches will be just too big to wear in comfort. We will have to see how the Aplle watch compares but the fact they come in two sizes suggests that they may just be wearable by everyone and not just those with very big wrists. This could be one reason for people wanting to wait and see before considering if they will buy the Apple watch: will it be comfortable to wear?
  • Reply 36 of 132
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    quinney wrote: »
    They're saving their money for an Apple TV set, right Gene?
    Everyone needs a TV set and a phone, far less than everyone needs or even wants a watch. Frankly I'd be very surprised in one in ten iPhone owners want and buy an Apple Watch. A generous survey.
  • Reply 37 of 132
    blazar wrote: »
    This main article is stupid obviously...

I will bet my left nut that the haptic touch communication is going to be very popular as a killer feature by itself.

Imagine all the boyfriends, girlfriends, spouses. There is a reason men buy their women roses on valentines. The expectations for communication in society will be changed by haptics very rapidly. If a girl has an iwatch and is using haptics with her friend, her boyfriend is getting one almost certainly. Touch is not just "personal" as Apple mentioned, it is sexual as well. Apple did not want to say this at the conference. There is a distinctly addictive nature to touch.

If you think text messaging became addictive and transformed culture fast, you haven't seen anything yet.

Since the touch communication is apple specific (since you can't do this between andriod and apple even if samsung adds this to their watch), this will further entrench apple ecosystem owners. Samsung and others will copy this, but it will be too late since Apple will already have the cultural penetration by then. Also as usual, samsung will find it hard to implement this well in the outset in the same way they had trouble copying touchID. Also almost nobody except tech nerds are buying google related watches. You cant send someone a haptic message if nobody is wearing the watch... Apple will see rapid user base expansion due to wealthier overall customers with a propensity to buy apple's new products despite prices. I bought a retina 5k imac... You dont think I'm gonna take the apple watch for a spin? Obviously if I buy one, the wife is gonna get one... And the kids are going to be wishing for one... Especially as a few of their friends are sending touches to eachother's boy/girlfriends in class. Next thing you know they will be banning them in class when some girl starts putting the watch near her groin while some dude is sending her a "message" or vice versa. As if sexting wasn't an expected consequence of texting.

The pleasure centers in our brain want to be stimulated, and touch has a significantly more sexual connotation at a subconscious level than you might overtly realize. Remember when that girl you liked just happened to walk by and her hair or dress brushed up against you... Subtle but powerful.

Underestimating haptic communication is a huge mistake. I am guessing Apple stock at 150-200 by 2017. They will sell out the apple watch despite max production for the next 2 years.

I think you've hit on something ...

A few related thoughts ...

"Mama -- He's touching me!"

"It's not what you touched -- its how you touched me"

Lady 1:   "Does his mustache tickle when he kisses you?"

Lady 2:  "It's not if it tickles -- it's where it tickles!"
  • Reply 38 of 132

As if they have any other possible approach to take... :err:

• Reply 39 of 132
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I'd hazard a guess that, for these kinds of surveys, a drop of 1% is not statistically significant. Plus the item is relatively out of the news right now compared to the period just after launch.

Yeah, one percent should be well within a standard deviation.

It would be foolish to interpret anything from this "change" in public perception.

• Reply 40 of 132
    ireland wrote: »
    quinney wrote: »
    They're saving their money for an Apple TV set, right Gene?
    Everyone needs a TV set and a phone, far less than everyone needs or even wants a watch. Frankly I'd be very surprised in one in ten iPhone owners want and buy an Apple Watch. A generous survey.

Mmm ...

Conservatively, Apple has sold 320 Million iPhones in the last 2 years ...

So, 10% of that would be 32 million Apple Watches!

I think you underestimate the utility of an Apple Watch.

You can communicate, shop/buy things, control things (your home), monitor your health, monitor the outside world -- All with a wave of your wrist ... For most things, the attendant iPhone will stay in your purse, pocket or pack!

It's called convenience!

Can you save an hour a week? Do you make more than $350 / 52 an hour?

Not to mention the enterprises who will supply them to their employees -- and parents to their kids!