Rumor: Apple's 12" MacBook Air with Retina display to enter production in Q1 2015

Comments

• Reply 81 of 125
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 82 of 125

I am looking forward to the new MacBook Air with Retina. But I would love to have a SIM-card making it possible to be online all the time on travel.

• Reply 83 of 125
    Their software patches are far from reliable! My MacBook was becoming so slow that I had to actually use a 3rd party software (detoxmymac.org) to fix it! The reason I even purchased a MacBook was so I would never have to worry about problems like that again. It's fixed now, but I feel deceived. Apparently I'm not alone in that considering Apple is being sued due to others feeling the same.
  • Reply 84 of 125

I have purchased Apple MacBook 11 and get stuck from days to open my site www.fjackets.com in that browser i think software issue can anyone guide me how to get new ios 8 in my MacBook.

• Reply 85 of 125
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well guys Intel has finally delivered viable hardware to give the MBA a decent upgrade. So what do we all think as far as Broadwell based Airs go, this month, next month or the distant future?
  • Reply 86 of 125
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

well guess what it's already flying. I've seen a lot of surfaces and other 2in1 actually.

People said that about phablets too. People kept drinking koolaid here with all the 640 K ought to be enough for anybody stuff and by that I mean 4" oh that's good enough for anyone crowd.  Well guess what my eyes are bad and it never cut it. It's why I went Droid at first, that plus Google Navigation actually. Once I discovered all the other stuff like voice recognition which it had years before Siri and is still more useful, I was hooked.   Point is, my bet is there is a market for 2in1. Is it big enough for Apple to enter? I don't know.  I think users will really start to want and even expect it though, just like bigger phone screens. If Apple waits too long with an offering it will "look bad" and actually flip the tables (maybe it already has) where Apple looks lame and MS looks cool with all their innovating. And I say that seriously. The ads make MacBook Air look stupid. Brilliant ads. Same with Galaxy. Win 8 sucks but the 2in1s are shaping up and all they need is Windows 10 or whatever to not suck. Well that'll take a year or two so if Apple gets a move on maybe they can be there when the party starts. mark it, my prediction is they'll become a category just like tablets and I give it a 75% chance Apple releases one. Maybe not keep it but at least release a first rev.

macbook air? Hopefully comes out soon. Hopefully more RAM too. And speakers you can here everywhere not just a library. :D

• Reply 87 of 125
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

People said that about phablets too.

And we were right.

Well guess what my eyes are bad and it never cut it.

It’s almost as though there would be accessibility options in the software or something...

...the 2in1s are shaping up and all they need is Windows 10 or whatever to not suck. 

So they’re all DOA is what you’re saying.

• Reply 88 of 125

MacBook Air Retina with single USB Type C port and..... inductive charging!!!? Anyone!?

• Reply 89 of 125
    aquatic wrote: »
    well guess what it's already flying. I've seen a lot of surfaces and other 2in1 actually.

People said that about phablets too. People kept drinking koolaid here with all the 640 K ought to be enough for anybody stuff and by that I mean 4" oh that's good enough for anyone crowd.  Well guess what my eyes are bad and it never cut it. It's why I went Droid at first, that plus Google Navigation actually. Once I discovered all the other stuff like voice recognition which it had years before Siri and is still more useful, I was hooked.   Point is, my bet is there is a market for 2in1. Is it big enough for Apple to enter?

The 2 in 1 is more like a half in neither... It is never shown being used as a laptop; that is, used on an actual lap. That's because it's an ergonomically poor laptop. As a tablet, it is almost always shown being used in the landscape mode. That's because the manufacturers want to show it connected to a keyboard and sitting on a desktop making it appear like the laptop it isn't.

If the keyboard is so central to the device and voice recognition is supposed to be so good, why isn't voice replacing the keyboard? Why is the OS such a memory hog compared to iOS? When it comes to comparing a 2 in 1 to Apple's offering, why are so many short-comings ignored in ads? Finally, if the 2 in 1 concept such a good thing, why are they not selling like crazy after years of being available, and why are there so few touch-enabled enterprise programs, compared to what is available in Apple's iOS?

iOS, which is the darling all over enterprise, including government, industry and education, is continuing to gain market share in the face of the 2 in 1, even when the 2 in 1 concept is being promoted by heavy weight brands that are historically favorites of IT departments. Apparently business, like consumer buyers see through the bull shit.
  • Reply 90 of 125
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Do people really use laptops in their lap? My MBA gets far too hot for that to be a practical use case.
  • Reply 91 of 125
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    crowley wrote: »
    Do people really use laptops in their lap? My MBA gets far too hot for that to be a practical use case.

I do. Not on my bare skin, mind you, but certainly on my lap.
  • Reply 92 of 125
    jackson83 wrote: »
    MacBook Air Retina with single USB Type C port and..... inductive charging!!!? Anyone!?

Not a chance in hell!???????????? If the rumored design is what Air turns into I won't be a customer. The big issue is the lack of ports. One USB port simply doesn't do it for me. Why they are deleting the SD port is another odd thing. If anything I'd would want a laptop with more ports not less, especially USB.

CPU performance is also a big problem. I'm sitting here holding off on a purchase expecting Airs to really leverage the new Broadwell chips. That won't happen in a fanless design. Broadwell substantially improves the GPU which would allow for good retina screen performance. This as long as you go with the 15 watt chips.

But who knows, maybe when this ships the price will be so compelling that buying one won't be an issue. Cheaper by the dozen and all.
  • Reply 93 of 125

Well they may try! One issue with at least my old MBP is that the screen does not tilt back far enough to allow this. Combined with the uncomfortable hotness it isn't a common usage pattern.

Frankly laptops in general are a lie as they do not normally get used on ones lap. At work programmers and engineers run around with laptops on carts or find a ledge someplace on a machine to set it.
  • Reply 94 of 125
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jackson83 View Post

No one. Inductive charging is worthless, a single port is worthless, and USB isn’t that great a format.

• Reply 95 of 125
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,403moderator
    Inductive charging is worthless

The efficiency of inductive power is reported as being 70-85%. If they have a 7.5W chip and smaller battery as a result, it'll still take less overall power to charge and they won't need to have a fixed size port on the outside.
  • Reply 96 of 125
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Inductive charging is worthless

Exhibit A: ?Watch.
  • Reply 97 of 125
    wizard69 wrote: »

Well they may try! One issue with at least my old MBP is that the screen does not tilt back far enough to allow this. Combined with the uncomfortable hotness it isn't a common usage pattern.

How old is your old MBP? Mine was made in 2006 and I run it on my lap several hours a day. I open it a bit past 90 degrees and then tip the whole unit so the keyboard is raised in the front. This places an air gap under the computer and makes the keyboard angle match my forearm angle. Steve would say you're holding it wrong.
    Frankly laptops in general are a lie as they do not normally get used on ones lap. At work programmers and engineers run around with laptops on carts or find a ledge someplace on a machine to set it.

Laptops are intended for portability and/or times when a desk or table is not available. The best example are students, I suppose.

I was in sales which took me out of the office for about half the time each day. I was using an Apple Duo at the time. It was so easy to pop it open with a customer, and while holding it in one hand, do some quick look-ups or enter some quick info. Arriving back at the office where I had a Duo-dock it was so nice to just pop it into the dock and get down to business. My co-workers would often struggle to untangle their cords and crawl under their desks to go through a process of wiring their laptops into their work station.

Which brings up the issue of complaints of the number of ports on a MBA. Stop thinking like a MIS manager of the previous century. By using a wifi printer or three-in-one and Air Port with Time Capsule, the only cord I use now and then is a power cord. I'm totally mobile with my laptop and iDevices, and totally wired-in-place with my iMac...!!
  • Reply 98 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not a chance in hell!???????????? If the rumored design is what Air turns into I won't be a customer. The big issue is the lack of ports. One USB port simply doesn't do it for me. Why they are deleting the SD port is another odd thing. If anything I'd would want a laptop with more ports not less, especially USB.

CPU performance is also a big problem. I'm sitting here holding off on a purchase expecting Airs to really leverage the new Broadwell chips. That won't happen in a fanless design. Broadwell substantially improves the GPU which would allow for good retina screen performance. This as long as you go with the 15 watt chips.

But who knows, maybe when this ships the price will be so compelling that buying one won't be an issue. Cheaper by the dozen and all.

You really don't want an Air.  Everything you are describing says "I want a MacBook Pro"

• Reply 99 of 125
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,403moderator
    joelsalt wrote: »
    wizard69 wrote: »

You really don't want an Air.  Everything you are describing says "I want a MacBook Pro"

He wants a Macbook Pro at the price of a Macbook Air with the performance of a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 100 of 125
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Who doesn't?