Sony renting 'The Interview' for $6 on YouTube, Google Play, Xbox & Crackle, but not iTunes

145791014

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 280
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post



    Why? Because it will deserve it, or you will be making a statement? If the latter, why not do it now?

     

    To make a statement.  And I can wait to rate the movie until after its release.

     

    And hey, I have a huge crush on Lizzy Caplan, so I might have gone to see it even without all the publicity.

  • Reply 122 of 280
    apple ][ wrote: »
    solipsismy wrote: »
    some of the best movies come out on Christmas Day. 

    This movie has a 9.9 rating on IMDB at the moment.

    I'm sure that the 42,526 user ratings on that site have actually seen the movie, and I'm also sure that this movie is a regular, modern day masterpiece.:no:

    I learnt a long time ago that the ratings on IMDb are complete hogwash. Most films have way too high a rating, probably because the average IMDb member in no way reflects the general population.
  • Reply 123 of 280
    solipsismy wrote: »
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It depends what kind of parties.

    I thought you called them rallies.

    Depends on what intelligence you're party to.
  • Reply 124 of 280
    Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Season's Greetings and other non-denominational well wishes to everyone!

    :D

    Steady on.

    You'll offend SolipsismY. It's 'Happy Holidays' only in his little world.

    I guess he's dreaming of a Black Christmas, too, to appease his guilty conscience over all the thousands of white ones that have come before.
  • Reply 125 of 280
    Steady on.

    You'll offend SolipsismY. It's 'Happy Holidays' only in his little world.

    I guess he's dreaming of a Black Christmas, too, to appease his guilty conscience over all the thousands of white ones that have come before.

    1) Why would I have a guilty conscious?

    2) Merry Holiday, to you.
  • Reply 126 of 280
    Good, the movie is total garbage. Right at home in Google Play.
  • Reply 127 of 280
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I buy that stance totally.

    I can't help but think of the big picture. What if Sony showed the film and 3 or 4 movie theatres were bombed with significant loss of life (one life is too many to me).

    freedom isn't free -- it costs blood. theres no way around that fact. yep, people are gonna die. it happens. if we didn't ban automobiles after just "one life" is lost, why would we ban ourselves?

    clearly, one life isn't too many when it comes to freedom. nor would 3 or 5 movie theaters worth of lives. i will accept that loss and that risk to my own safety, in order to live in a free society. 

    How many would too many be? 10? 30? One a week?
  • Reply 128 of 280
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

    I can't help but think of the big picture. What if Sony showed the film and 3 or 4 movie theatres were bombed with significant loss of life (one life is too many to me).


     

    Then North Korea is turned to glass, a nation is saved, and we can FINALLY GET OUR TROOPS OUT OF ASIA.

     
    Would Sony be more reviled for their current actions or for actions that resulted in a loss of life?

     

    Aside from outright treason, there’s nothing that can be more reviled than abandoning the principles upon which this country was founded.

     

    Sony releasing this movie is literally no different from any other company releasing any other movie in any other sense.

     

    I had people asking me privately if I thought this was a good idea considering that I or my family could be harmed because of my actions.


     

    The terrorists have won, then. You live in fear of them for absolutely no reason.

     

    Here’s a movie about the ASSASSINATION OF GEORGE W. BUSH. The president of the United States, himself.

     

    It was released. It was released here. It was released here because we’re not a totalitarian stalinist dictatorship. It was released here because we’re not even the monarchist UK, which keeps a long list of banned films.

     

    It was released because in this country, you don’t have to be afraid of having an opinion. Cowering in the face of a psychotic, pudgy, shrimp of a man whose family has committed longer crimes against humanity than Hitler, Stalin, or Mao is not what this country does.

     

    Sony’s not worth our business. I’ve known this for years; this reaffirms it to all.

  • Reply 129 of 280
    Tried finding it on both the YouTube and Crackle tiles on my AppleTV to no avail. Used the YouTube app on my iPad, logged in to my Google account, and after verifying that I was over 21 was informed that the film was not available on mobile devices, only PCs (that's quaint, I guess Macs are now considered PCs too now). I saved the film to my Watch Later list and will see if I can stream it from my iMac to my AppleTV, unless Google has managed to shut that door too.
  • Reply 130 of 280
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I can't help but think of the big picture. What if Sony showed the film and 3 or 4 movie theatres were bombed with significant loss of life (one life is too many to me).</span>

    Then North Korea is turned to glass, a nation is saved, and we can FINALLY GET OUR TROOPS OUT OF ASIA.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Would Sony be more reviled for their current actions or for actions that resulted in a loss of life?</span>

    Aside from outright treason, there’s nothing that can be more reviled than abandoning the principles upon which this country was founded.

    Sony releasing this movie is literally no different from any other company releasing any other movie in any other sense.
    …<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I had people asking me privately if I thought this was a good idea considering that I or my family could be harmed because of my actions.</span>

    The terrorists have won, then. You live in fear of them for absolutely no reason.

    Here’s a movie about the ASSASSINATION OF GEORGE W. BUSH. The president of the United States, himself.

    It was released. It was released here. It was released here because we’re not a totalitarian stalinist dictatorship. It was released here because we’re not even the monarchist UK, which keeps a long list of banned films.

    It was released because in this country, you don’t have to be afraid of having an opinion. Cowering in the face of a psychotic, pudgy, shrimp of a man whose family has committed longer crimes against humanity than Hitler, Stalin, or Mao is not what this country does.

    Sony’s not worth our business. I’ve known this for years; this reaffirms it to all.

    Problem with you Yanks is that you're not so good at discerning between free speech and free speech.

    I give you the demonstrators exercising their American 'right' to free speech in calling on people to 'kill the cops' in public.
  • Reply 131 of 280

    I don't care what media or on line service its on, since like many I have no wish to see it, but a strong wish that i could see it if i wanted to, and truly hate the idea, if true, that North Korea can dictate what movies are appropriate. I wish Apple jhad it on iTunes, because otherwise people may think that Apple pussied out, whatever the real reasons. Certainly its hard to believe Apple could not have hosted it in time if they wanted to.

    Im sure the movie will now be watched by many more than it would have done, so whoever tried to stop it has lost the plot.

     

    Otherwise, whatever your denomination, faith or lack there of, I hope all AI readers will have a merry time of the holidays, and a safe happy and New Year one and all!

  • Reply 132 of 280
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

    Problem with you Yanks is that you're not so good at discerning between free speech and free speech.

     

    This is why you live in a police state. You think there is a difference.

     

    I give you the demonstrators exercising their American 'right' to free speech in calling on people to 'kill the cops' in public.


     

    And? That’s perfectly fine. I accept and will defend their right to completely debase and publicly invalidate the incorrect position (because it IS incorrect) for which they stand.

     

    It’s a far, FAR better thing than to artificially limit free speech and allow psychopaths who believe what they believe to get into power, having duped sane people into thinking that they are also sane because they weren’t allowed to express their beliefs in the first place.

  • Reply 133 of 280
    Problem with you Yanks is that you're not so good at discerning between free speech and free speech.

    This is why you live in a police state. You think there is a difference.
    I give you the demonstrators exercising their American 'right' to free speech in calling on people to 'kill the cops' in public.

    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">And? That’s perfectly fine. I accept and will defend their right to completely debase and publicly invalidate the incorrect position (because it IS incorrect) for which they stand.</span>


    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">It</span>
    ’s a far, FAR better thing than to artificially limit free speech and allow psychopaths who believe what they believe to get into power, having duped sane people into thinking that they are also sane because they weren’t allowed to express their beliefs in the first place.

    I agree and disagree with you.

    There always has to be a line drawn somewhere for free speech, or we would simply have chaos.

    I am inclined to veer to your point of view and say, "Let people dig their own grave." In which case, if Sony wish to release such a stupidly provocative film, then let them, and let them suffer the consequences.
  • Reply 134 of 280
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Steady on.

    You'll offend SolipsismY. It's 'Happy Holidays' only in his little world.

    I guess he's dreaming of a Black Christmas, too, to appease his guilty conscience over all the thousands of white ones that have come before.

    1) Why would I have a guilty conscious?

    2) Merry Holiday, to you.

    Way to offend sad people with your bigoted, merrist jibe. ????
  • Reply 135 of 280
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    I remember seeing a picture (or reading) somewhere that Kim Jong Whatever is a Mac user. Can anyone confirm this?

    Ask Dennis Rodman.
  • Reply 136 of 280
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Ask Dennis Rodman.

    I'm not sure I'd want to.
  • Reply 137 of 280

    Someone at Apple saw the trailer and saw how bad it is.

     

    Well, not sure how it can be funny with Kim Jong-Un joking around and whatever. Seems like it's up there in the reality realm of "The Dictator."

     

    To each his own. Seems like it has good ratings on IMDB. 

     

    P

  • Reply 138 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Then North Korea is turned to glass, a nation is saved, and we can FINALLY GET OUR TROOPS OUT OF ASIA.

     

    Aside from outright treason, there’s nothing that can be more reviled than abandoning the principles upon which this country was founded.


     

    I'm just glad that you are not running things.

     

    The US certainly doesn't need another hothead in there who only sees the world in black and white.

  • Reply 139 of 280
    pfisher wrote: »
    Someone at Apple saw the trailer and saw how bad it is.

    Well, not sure how it can be funny with Kim Jong-Un joking around and whatever. Seems like it's up there in the reality realm of "The Dictator."

    To each his own. Seems like it has good ratings on IMDB.

    I thought it was much, much better than The Dictator, but I wouldn't call it a good movie. At most I was only mildly entertained.

    Another comparison, I did enjoy and laugh at James Franco and Seth Rogen movie This Is the End, and would say that's a good movie.
  • Reply 140 of 280
    crowleycrowley Posts: 9,111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    This is why you live in a police state. You think there is a difference.


    You've gotta be kidding me.

     

    This is not a scene from the UK...

     



    Guess where it's from?

     

    Regarding the monarchist UK film banning (though I have no idea what the monarchy has to do with such things in your head):

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_banned_in_the_United_Kingdom

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_banned_in_the_United_States

     

    Note that:

     


    1. films on the UK list are mostly banned due to violence.  Which, of all the reasons to ban a films must surely rate as one of the more noble, especially compared with the US list, which is far more sanctimonious about religious censorship and sexuality.

    2. few films on either list remain banned, and for the few that are... do you ?really want to watch them?  Really?  And does such a comment have anything to do with a mainstream comedy film, or are you just being a needlessly nationalistic dick?

Sign In or Register to comment.