Sony renting 'The Interview' for $6 on YouTube, Google Play, Xbox & Crackle, but not iTunes

1246714

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 280
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,799member

    Disappointed that Apple didn't agree to stream this as well. 

  • Reply 62 of 280
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

     

    ...and he's fun at parties also!! 


     

    It depends what kind of parties.

  • Reply 63 of 280
    droidftw wrote: »
    Free speech doesn't cover hate speech. From your previous posts it's not clear that you understand that.

    Case in point…
  • Reply 64 of 280
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    ...AFTER THEIR PATHETIC, COWARDLY ACT.


     

    I'm not sure if I buy that stance totally.

     

    I can't help but think of the big picture. What if Sony showed the film and 3 or 4 movie theatres were bombed with significant loss of life (one life is too many to me).

     

    Would Sony be more reviled for their current actions or for actions that resulted in a loss of life?

     

    They erred on the side of caution (or... at least I hope that was the reason and not the fear of more internet damage to their credibility).

     

    I think of this at a personal level. After the Taliban bombed the school in Pakistan I ripped them a new one on Facebook. Nobody responded but I had people asking me privately if I thought this was a good idea considering that I or my family could be harmed because of my actions. I said that I hoped that wasn't the case but, also, that we can't shrink from these assholes and allow them to go unchecked. It's my view that we have to make a decision to stand up to these guys no matter the consequences. Unfortunately, when we do that, we also are also making decisions for other people without their knowledge.

  • Reply 65 of 280
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It depends what kind of parties.

    I thought you called them rallies.
  • Reply 66 of 280
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
     
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post





    Free speech doesn't cover hate speech.

    Critics have argued that the term "hate speech" is a contemporary example of Newspeak, used to silence critics of social policies that have been poorly implemented in a rush to appear politically correct.[7][8][9]

  • Reply 67 of 280
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post



    I thought you called them rallies.



    I wouldn't know about that. I've never been to a rally, or a protest or a die-in at an Apple store or assaulted or killed any cops ever.

  • Reply 68 of 280
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,799member

    I can't stand Seth Rogan and never have so I didn't have any interest in the movie before the hack. But the idea that some sociopathic dictator can actually impact free speech here is not a precedent we want to allow. 

     

    By the way, I wonder if this hack that they used to get into Sony was Windows based? I wonder if Sony had been using Macs instead if this hack would have worked to this degree. Thoughts....

  • Reply 69 of 280
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     



    I wouldn't know about that. I've never been to a rally, or a protest or a die-in at an Apple store or assaulted or killed any cops ever.


     

    Do you not believe in rallies?

     

    Do you protest through another channel?

  • Reply 70 of 280
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     

     

    Do you not believe in rallies?

     

    Do you protest through another channel?




    I didn't say that I don't believe in any rallies. I just mentioned that I've never participated in one. I believe that people are free to protest whatever they please, as long as it's done in a legal fashion. Most protests that we see nowadays do not fit under that definition.

  • Reply 71 of 280
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     



    I didn't say that I don't believe in any rallies. I just mentioned that I've never participated in one. I believe that people are free to protest whatever they please, as long as it's done in a legal fashion. Most protests that we see nowadays do not fit under that definition.


     

    I was trying to figure out if you protest against the actions of others in any way shape or form outside of yelling at the tv or screaming at a mirror.

  • Reply 72 of 280
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     

     

    I was trying to figure out if you protest against the actions of others in any way shape or form outside of yelling at the tv or screaming at a mirror.




    I post my thoughts on the internet, and I cast my vote when it's time to vote. 

  • Reply 73 of 280
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    How many people around the world will be receiving an Apple product on Christmas? What would happen if those people had difficulties accessing iTunes or other Apple servers, after unwrapping their new Apple product?

    Whether releasing this movie on iTunes caused excessive bandwidth demands, denial of service attacks or anything else that might impair access to Apple's servers, it would be stupid of Apple to risk the rest of their business. Whether you think Apple should release this movie through iTunes or not, a Christmas Day or Christmas Eve release is just not a good idea solely because of the timing.

    Because of course nobody has ever had a problem accessing Apple's servers. No, that never happens.
  • Reply 74 of 280
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,799member

    I did some digging and read about the types of exploits and discovered these were indeed Windows specific hacks as I suspected. I even wrote an article about it. I wonder how many companies might consider buying Macs after this hack?

     

    Would Sony Have Been hacked if They Used Macs?



     

  • Reply 75 of 280
    gwmac wrote: »
    I did some digging and read about the types of exploits and discovered these were indeed Windows specific hacks as I suspected. I even wrote an article about it. I wonder how many companies might consider buying Macs after this hack?

    Would Sony Have Been hacked if They Used Macs?

    Sure, because they are Windows heavy like nearly all corporations, but that doesn't mean that if companies were Mac-heavy that there would have been no hacking.
  • Reply 76 of 280
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    Sure, because they are Windows heavy like nearly all corporations, but that doesn't mean that if companies were Mac-heavy that there would have been no hacking.



    Of course not. But I do know one thing.

     

    I foolishly bought an anti-virus program for a Mac that I had more than a decade ago. That was a total waste of money, not to mention that it slowed the whole system down.

     

    Needless to say, I have never used any anti-virus programs since then, and I have never had any issues at all. I don't believe that Windows users can say the same.

  • Reply 77 of 280
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,330member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

     



    Why do I need to make any qualification? Obviously, everyone has their own opinions. Sorry you're so butthurt to hear some that hurt your feelings haha.


     

    I can't believe you have difficulty understand what he's telling you. "Butthurt, hurt his feelings"? What part of "don't state opinions as facts" don't you understand? Here's some other examples:

     

    OMG CANT BELIEVE APPLE DOESNT HAVE THE BANDWIDTH FOR THIS MOVIE

    OMG CANT BELIEVE APPLE IS TOO CHEAP TO PAY FOR THIS MOVIE

    OMG CAN'T BELIEVE APPLE IS TOO INCOMPETENT TO MAKE A DEAL

    OMG CANT BELIEVE APPLE DOESNT HOST THIS MOVIE CAUSE THEY HATE JAMES FRANCO

    OMG CANT BELIEVE APPLE IS SO SCARED OR NORTH KOREA

     

    See, the above sounds fucking idiotic, because you're pretending to know the reasons for this situation, when you clearly do not. Here's a sane reason to state an opinion:

     

    "If Apple chose not to host this movie on iTunes because of possible repercussions from North Korea, then that is dissapointing". 

     

    See the IF there? I'm acknowledging that there might be other reasons involved, and not assuming I know for a fact that's the reason- then providing an opinion based on that theoretical possibility. Your trash posts don't contain that subtlety- you bash Apple because you pretend to know something for a fact, then draw all your conclusions from that.

  • Reply 78 of 280
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post





    True, but it's an understandable business decision on their part.



    actually, unless any of you were in the room (nope), then we really don't know the issues and thinking behind the decision. no clue. you can only guess. 

  • Reply 79 of 280
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     

     

    God, you're such bigoted filth.


     

    Merry Christmas to you too!

     

    I'm sure that you and yours will eventually get whatever they deserve in this world!

  • Reply 80 of 280
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

     

    Now will all the people who in the previous article called Sony out and cowards and talked about bandwidth issues now retract, ignore, or somehow justify and excuse Apple for not taking part? ...




    1) sony's cowardice doesn't cease to exist. it happened. they only changed their tune because of the tremendous backlash against their stupid decision.

     

    2) we don't know apple's reasoning. from bandwidth, to security, to christmas staff or timetable issues, we simply don't know. you're injecting a narrative if you say otherwise.

Sign In or Register to comment.