Class-action lawsuit accuses Apple of misrepresenting iPhone storage with iOS 8

Comments

• Reply 281 of 368
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member

Apple has no need to make an explicit declaration, since it is the same with any computing device: The OS takes up storage space. Everyone knows this.

• Reply 282 of 368
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Your anecdotal evidence is no good here. ;)
    Usage can change with one single app. I got my son a 16GB iPod Touch figuring he can get a few games, and take some pics. All was fine until he found Hyperlapse. Now he videos everything in order to see what it looks like sped up. We're constantly arguing over what to delete, and what to keep. Now I wish I had spent the extra $50 for the 32GB version.

For a teenager, I would definitely suggest more capacity simply because needs and usage do tend to change a lot more often than when people are 60 and older, or when it's a device for a company that is locked to their set of apps and utilities.

Would 32GB even be enough with as much space as Hyperlapse takes up? I know people with 128GB iPhones that don't have enough room.
  • Reply 283 of 368
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I don’t agree with the lawsuit, but I do agree that 16GB shouldn't be offered anymore. This isn't 2007 anymore. Everything about the iPhone has changed except it's base model storage.

Disagree. They should drop the 8 GB iPhone. 16 GB is a fine starting point.
    Usage can change with one single app. I got my son a 16GB iPod Touch figuring he can get a few games, and take some pics. All was fine until he found Hyperlapse. Now he videos everything in order to see what it looks like sped up. We're constantly arguing over what to delete, and what to keep. Now I wish I had spent the extra $50 for the 32GB version.

With the 32 GB version, he'll take more videos and will just delay the inevitable.
  • Reply 284 of 368
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

Good that some concern apple product users sue to create awareness. If apple products have expandable flash memory slot than no problem. Will buy cheap our own memory. Plus on top apple took away 32GB offering and indirectly push, make customers pay for 64GB because ios8 is bigger leaving less space for app to run so you have to buy larger size and pay.  My family and extended family and friends are apple product users but I support this law suit from just principle.

Solution : provide more 2GB RAM and 32GB flash storage as lowest iphone/ipad offering with same price as 16GB because Memory prices gone and going down. Remove 16GB.

• Reply 285 of 368
    jungmark wrote: »
    Disagree. They should drop the 8 GB iPhone.

I agree about the 8GB iPhone. That's 7.45GiB of storage which drops to under 5GiB when iOS is installed. I recommend that if you're using more than 50% of your capacity you should consider the next capacity up and frrom what I've seen the average, basic user (as I described previous) will use about 3-4GiB more for documents and settings and a spattering of small apps. That means that there are using nearly all their space almost right of the gate which leaves little room for growth or OTA updates. I recommend that if you're using more than 50% of your capacity you should consider the next capacity up.
  • Reply 286 of 368
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    I bought a Moto E with 4gb of storage to try android for myself. I was left with 2.21gb of available storage. This means android took up almost 45% of the storage.
  • Reply 287 of 368
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I don’t agree with the lawsuit, but I do agree that 16GB shouldn't be offered anymore. This isn't 2007 anymore. Everything about the iPhone has changed except it's base model storage.

"Shouldn't be offered"? Why? No one is forcibly compelled to purchase one. Perhaps the base model is offered because people still decide to buy them? While I have always passed on the base model due to previously having iPods who showed me my storage requirements even before considering phone functions (I just prefer having my collections with me, that takes up space, previousely 32, then 64 and now 128 for both iPhone and iPad) apparently and obviously, other people are making different purchasing decisions including choosiness the base storage model: or they'd buy something different. Absent music and photos I'd be choosing a smaller capacity model myself. Not that the savings is significant when compared to the service charges over the life of the device....
  • Reply 288 of 368
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Many iphone users including myself had problem updating to ios8 because of it's 1GB size, plus extra memory needed to install. So, bottom line. It crashed and made people to reset(connect to itune) loosing their stuff on phone. So, I am happy just for public awareness that Apple needs to provide more RAM like 2GB and higher starting storage like 32GB. Optimization is good for engineering IOS and hardware but not to be stingy where iphone users with 16GB loose stuff on their phone while OTA installing IOS 8.
  • Reply 289 of 368
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    wood1208 wrote: »
    Good that some concern apple product users sue to create awareness. If apple products have expandable flash memory slot than no problem. Will buy cheap our own memory. Plus on top apple took away 32GB offering and indirectly push, make customers pay for 64GB because ios8 is bigger leaving less space for app to run so you have to buy larger size and pay.  My family and extended family and friends are apple product users but I support this law suit from just principle.

Solution : provide more 2GB RAM and 32GB flash storage as lowest iphone/ipad offering with same price as 16GB because Memory prices gone and going down. Remove 16GB.

"Making customers pay for 64 GB..."
    You do realize the 64 is priced exactly in the pricing tier where the previous 32 used to be priced right?

Oops.
  • Reply 290 of 368
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    For a teenager, I would definitely suggest more capacity simply because needs and usage do tend to change a lot more often than when people are 60 and older, or when it's a device for a company that is locked to their set of apps and utilities.

Would 32GB even be enough with as much space as Hyperlapse takes up? I know people with 128GB iPhones that don't have enough room.

He's 9 :lol: luckily the novelty of Hyperlapse is wearing off. I'm sure it'll pick back up once we start visiting amusement parks this coming spring and summer.
  • Reply 291 of 368
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    "Shouldn't be offered"? Why? No one is forcibly compelled to purchase one. Perhaps the base model is offered because people still decide to buy them? While I have always passed on the base model due to previously having iPods who showed me my storage requirements even before considering phone functions (I just prefer having my collections with me, that takes up space, previousely 32, then 64 and now 128 for both iPhone and iPad) apparently and obviously, other people are making different purchasing decisions including choosiness the base storage model: or they'd buy something different. Absent music and photos I'd be choosing a smaller capacity model myself. Not that the savings is significant when compared to the service charges over the life of the device....

I was looking at getting a iPad mini recently. The only models available were the 16GB. If people bought them it's because it was the only one they could find not necessarily what they wanted.
  • Reply 292 of 368
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    I know I'm a bit late to this commenting party (289 comments, wow), but this is just complete horseshit.

This has been going on FOREVER in the IT industry. If they REALLY wanted to have themselves be taken seriously, how about going after Scamsung's 16GB junker crap, where they use around 50% of available internal storage for that crap OS and TouchWiz, or Microsoft with the debacle of their Surface RT 32GB model only having 12GB usable after applying all the updates, and reclaiming everything with a full Disk Clean cycle?!

This suit is simply to attempt to legally extort money from the best company to extort money from, Apple, because they have practically bottom-less pockets. This is a HUGELY grotesque misuse of the justice system, and I hope whatever presiding judge over this joke wastes no time to throw this out, and allow Apple to counter-sue the law firm responsible for this to recoup legal costs, and then disbar the shyster lawyers permanently!
  • Reply 293 of 368
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    undefined
  • Reply 294 of 368
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    oxygene wrote: »
    This guys are morons!!! (a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment; a person of borderline intelligence in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69).
    Do they think that a, phone or computer, operating system will not take any space?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2545258/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-owners-just-HALF-storage-paid-bloatware.html

These guys are not morons. They are actually smart guys who take advantage of the moronic class action system which is based on everyone opt-in by default. People are lazy - they don't open envelops, or take any actions. And the only ones who actually profit from this are lawyers. If it was opt-out by default, these bloodsucker would not even exist.
  • Reply 295 of 368
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    [QUOTE]
    Good that some concern apple product users sue to create awareness.
    [/QUOTE]

Your sentiment is understandable but unfortunately class action lawsuits are not the best vehicle for promoting awareness. Class action lawsuits were intended to prevent big wealthy entities from bullying a community of affected people, none of whom could afford to take on the "rich bully" by themselves. What has actually happened is that class action lawsuits provide a way for lawyers to reap huge rewards for themselves while the community of people who are supposedly "damaged" receive almost nothing. In some cases the individual payout is laughable because it indirectly benefits the supposedly guilty party, like awarding gift cards that are only redeemable at the guilty party's store. In other words the lawyers walk away with tens or hundreds of millions of dollars and you get a $5 gift card.

I'd like to hear what people who feel personally impacted by getting less than the expected net storage see as a reasonable remedy that delivers real value to themselves as opposed to stuffing boatloads of cash into lawyers pockets. I know some people get off by thinking they've done a smack down on Apple. If a $5 gift card or iTunes credit makes your year - well, okay, bask in that glory for all it's worth. But if you want to realize a real benefit let's hear some constructive recommendations.

My personal suggestion for getting back a bit more storage is for Apple to allow users to remove nearly all of the mandatory, built-in applications like Game Center, Tips, iTunes Store, etc., from their iDevices. This would free up a decent amount of storage, give me more control over how I use the device's available storage, cost nothing, and send the lawyers home with empty pockets. This would materially benefit me and many others much more than any cheesy class action lawsuit award.
  • Reply 296 of 368
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Before you jump in with "Apple makes it very clear that some of the 16GB is used for the OS on their Web site" you might want to check the site. I assumed I would be able to find some clear language that would cover Apple, but the closest thing I could find was this:

"1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less." on the Technical Specs page.

Or

"How much storage is right for you?

iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus come in three storage sizes: 16GB, 64GB, and 128GB. The term

"GB" stands for gigabytes. The more gigabytes you have, the more content you can store on your iPhone, such as apps, games, photos, HD videos, music, and movies. For example, if you have a large music or photo library or lots of apps, it%u2019s a good idea to consider an iPhone with a larger storage capacity. If you rarely download apps or you don%u2019t take many photos or videos, an iPhone with a smaller capacity may be better for you. When deciding which size to choose, be sure to consider how your storage needs may change over time."

And, as you can see, they make no mention of the fact that a few GB of storage is used up regardless of what size you get.

It looks like Apple dropped the ball on this one, and it may end of costing them.

I guess people are really that stupid.  You can say the same for every computer and device on the planet. Including all smart phones tablets and computers from any manufacturer.  So why don't we make a class action against ever single one of those all at once?  What a stupid and utter waste of the courts time.

• Reply 297 of 368
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

Many iphone users including myself had problem updating to ios8 because of it's 1GB size, plus extra memory needed to install. So, bottom line. It crashed and made people to reset(connect to itune) loosing their stuff on phone. So, I am happy just for public awareness that Apple needs to provide more RAM like 2GB and higher starting storage like 32GB. Optimization is good for engineering IOS and hardware but not to be stingy where iphone users with 16GB loose stuff on their phone while OTA installing IOS 8.

Tell me how could your iPhone "loose there stuff"  because of reinstalling the os?  Do you back up or did the individuals back there devices to there computer or iCloud?  Sounds to me if anyone you know lost there "stuff"  They don't have a clue how to back up and do a proper restore.  I have not lost any of my "stuff" do to upgrades ever. My first iPhone was the 3gs.  I currently have a 6.  This lawsuit is utter bull s$@t and the people who are pursuing this know it they just want quick cash from Apples mountain of cash.  If your going to class action this against Apple you had better add every single computer manufacturer and smart phone maker on the planet because there all doing the same thing.  Samsung is by far the worst as well as microsoft with there surface both of which eat up over 50% of there memory storage on bloatware.  And with samsung you can remove that bloatware unless you root the phone and want to loose what little security you have on it.

• Reply 298 of 368
    mechanic wrote: »

Tell me how could your iPhone "loose there stuff"  because of reinstalling the os?

Did you just point out a typo, and in doing so added one yourself? Because that’s something I would do. It's 'lose their stuff'.

PS. Sorry [@]SolipsismY[/@], but I couldn't let this one go.
  • Reply 299 of 368
    Did you just point out a typo, and in doing so added one yourself? Because that’s something I would do. It's 'lose their stuff'.

PS. Sorry [@]SolipsismY[/@], but I couldn't let this one go.

I don't even know what's going on. I'm completely loost.
  • Reply 300 of 368

And if your son had the 32GB iPod Touch... he'd fill that up too. :D

I think it's time to start offloading those Hyperlapse videos to a computer or something. The device should NOT be used for permanent storage... and it certainly shouldn't be your only copy.

I had to do exactly this for a friend's mother. She loves her iPhone... especially the camera. 4,400 photos on her iPhone... and it was bursting at the seams. No new photos could be taken... no new apps could be installed... it was FULL.

So I copied the photos to her computer... and set up an external hard drive to back those up. Plus I put those pics on OneDrive so they're backed up there too... and she can use the OneDrive app to see her old photos on the iPhone if she ever needed to.

In other words... I fixed the "I ran out of space" problem... and she's got her old photos backed up in three places too. This needs to happen more. She's lucky she has me to do it.

Yeah... I'm all for larger iPhones to be able to store more stuff. But you also need a plan for when that gets full too. And it will :)