Class-action lawsuit accuses Apple of misrepresenting iPhone storage with iOS 8

Comments

• Reply 261 of 368
    So basically the plaintiffs position is...

"Do you see what happens, Larry, WHEN YOU F*** A STRANGER IN THE ASS? THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS, LARRY! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU F*** A STRANGER IN THE ASS!"
  • Reply 262 of 368
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member

these things have a return policy...regardless of how its advertised re storage, if you get it and dont like the ammount f free space, you have 15 or 30 days dependi ng on carrier agreement to return or exchange it...regaurdless of anything elsse I would sy that negates the whole complaint.

• Reply 263 of 368
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    . You can say that about any purchase. Always get a larger size if you can afford. That goes with houses, TVs, computers.

People's needs change. 2 years is a long time. How many apps don't get purchased because a user has no room?
  • Reply 264 of 368
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    [QUOTE]

You give customers way too much credit. They have no idea what they need until they need it, and then it's too late. Having to play musical chairs with apps, photos, music, etc is simply not a elegant solution. Other OSs have been ridiculed for having these management needs.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure what management needs other operating systems have that would alleviate the need for more capacity than what a customer purchased. The iOS and App Store model that allows you to shuffle apps that you've purchased on and off the device seems like a reasonable workaround. Being able to store photos and music in iCloud seems like a decent model if you can live with its constraints.

Okay, I can understand that some people may have not selected the right model because they didn't know at the time of purchase how much capacity they'd use once they started using it. Kind of like a couple with one child buying a 2 bedroom house and then finding out that they're having triplets. Time to look for a bigger house - or bunk beds. In Apple's case this means buying a higher capacity device, which they will gladly sell you. Does this mean you may incur additional expenses because you naively bought the "wrong" device? Absolutely. Life's lessons and climbing the learning curve usually involves a cost. Can you name a single product in any market where there is an unlimited guarantee that lack of accurate planning, intentional or not, has no associated costs? I know we all expect Apple to solve all of our problems and shield us from real life but unfortunately even they can't solve everything, much less avoid frivolous lawsuits from small minded people and lawyers who lack common sense and grounding.

I think some of the comments about having ALL device manufacturers disclose how much user-accessible storage is available on each model is reasonable. Apple could simply refer to these models with a designation other than one that infers the base storage size, e.g., iPhone 6S, 6M, 6L, and 6XL. This may placate one class of lawyers but it doesn't do much at all for buyers. Buyers still wouldn't know how many apps, photos, books, movies, etc., will fit on the device because there's too much variability in the storage requirements for content. If device vendors, especially Apple, even tried to equate how many or much of any type of content the device storage equated to they'd be back in court on yet another frivolous money grabbing class action lawsuit. That's the main problem with these lawsuits, they only seek to extract money for lawyers but do little to nothing to solve the real problems, whether real or imagined.

The phrase "your mileage may vary" is very applicable here, whether you want to believe it or not.
  • Reply 265 of 368
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    irnchriz wrote: »
    The formatted capacity of a 16GB device is 14.88GB. So you never get 16GB anyway. Any formatted drive loses approximately 7% of its capacity straight away and then a chunk to the operating system. This is standard across the industry.

Huh? I've never heard of formatting taking up 7% of a drive. That's 280 GB on a 4TB drive. Why would formatting waste that much space?

techno wrote: »
    I find most people are not aware that 16Gb is not really 16GB. I am always explaining this to them. It is not a problem only with Apple. The whole tech industry could do a better job of educating the public or perhaps change how they represent the capacities of their products. If you advertise a 1 TB hard drive for example, the actual available space to the user, should be 1TB. That would be a true representation to the consumer.

That's not the problem. Both the space advertised and the space shown by the OS are accurate.
  • Reply 266 of 368
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    pfisher wrote: »
    BS. 

First of all, I have the iPhone 6+ 128 GB Gold I just bought, so I know I have a good size of memory.

HOWEVER, advertise what you sell!!!

Apple should lead the industry in GOOD WILL and saying that their phones have this much but only hold "this much".

you are an informed consumer. Many are not. If I was not initially an iPhone or smartphone user, I'd think, yeah, 16 GB I have to add stuff.

THIS IS AN OLD ARGUMENT. FAILED WITH 12.1 COMPUTERS BEING 13" ADVERTISED SCREENS.

TIME TO WAKE UP APPLE AND SPREAD GOOD WILL111

AS AN APPLE USER SINCE 1978, APPLE CAN  BL0W. "MEET THE OLD BOSS, SAME AS THE OLD BOSS".

They sell the device with 16GB of storage, 14.88 formatted. The storage space is used for the is etc too. They are advertising that they sell a device with 16GB of flash storage, what's your problem?

Your 128GB is only 119GB after formatting and then 2.5GB for the OS so you lose almost 12GB
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Huh? I've never heard of formatting taking up 7% of a drive. That's 280 GB on a 4TB drive. Why would formatting waste that much space?
    That's not the problem. Both the space advertised and the space shown by the OS are accurate.

A 4TB disk has ~3.7TB usable after formatting. Don't know how you have gone through life with computers and never once noticed that you don't get the quoted disk size available ever.
  • Reply 267 of 368
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    People's needs change. 2 years is a long time. How many apps don't get purchased because a user has no room?

Exactly. People's needs do change. So can I sue my home developer for not adding 500 sq ft to account for my kid?

I had a 16 GB for 3 years and I managed. I then bought the 64 GB iPhone 6.
  • Reply 268 of 368
    Don't know how you have gone through life with computers and never once noticed that you don't get the quoted disk size available ever.

1) I don't know how you've gone through this thread and not understood the different between decimal and binary notation.

2) Because apparently it hasn't been clear up to this point: YOU DONT FUCKING LOSING 7% BECAUSE OF FORMATTING!!!! YOU "LOSE" SPACE BECAUSE YOU FAIL TO CONVERT FROM DECIMAL TO BINARY!!! LOOK AT THE FUCKING NUMBER OF FUCKING BYTES ON YOUR FUCKING DRIVE!!!
  • Reply 269 of 368
    I don't know how you've gone through this thread and not understood the different between decimal and binary notation.

Then why ask the question ?

You wanted to know why formatting shows a different size when you obviously knew.

Disk space quoted at 1000GB decimal. Formatted in binary (1024 to a GB) 931GB

Why ask the question in the first place or were you just being a troll?
  • Reply 270 of 368

You wanted to know why formatting shows a different size when you obviously knew.

Your foolish 7% isn't as static as you stated, but something that increases in size as capacities grow because 1024 is more than 1000. Can you figure out the difference for each 'kilo' on your own?

Advertised: 500 GB drive
    Pre-formatted: 500,277,790,720 Bytes = 500.28 Gigabytes = 465.92 Gibibytes
    Foramtted: 499,418,034,176 Bytes = 499.42 Gigabytes = 465.12 Gibibytes
  • Reply 271 of 368
    jungmark wrote: »
    Exactly. People's needs do change. So can I sue my home developer for not adding 500 sq ft to account for my kid?

I had a 16 GB for 3 years and I managed. I then bought the 64 GB iPhone 6.

I don’t agree with the lawsuit, but I do agree that 16GB shouldn't be offered anymore. This isn't 2007 anymore. Everything about the iPhone has changed except it's base model storage.
  • Reply 272 of 368
    I don’t agree with the lawsuit, but I do agree that 16GB shouldn't be offered anymore. This isn't 2007 anymore. Everything about the iPhone has changed except it's base model storage.

1) Why, when 16GB is more than enough for a huge number of users? Do you really want your 64GB and 128GB models to either be more expensive or offer less as a result so that Apple can make their profit margin while a huge users are getting more space than they'll need?

2) In 2007 the default storage was 4GB and then 8GB. 16GB for the new iPhone is fine.
  • Reply 273 of 368

You wanted to know why formatting loses space, you obviously knew.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt because I couldn't imagine that at over 260 posts anyone could be that daft, especially in a tech forum in 2014. That's shit I thought people learned by 12yo.

Also, your foolish 7% isn't as static as you stated, but something that increases in size as capacities grow because 1024 is more than 1000. Can you figure out the difference for each 'kilo' on your own?

Do the math, its approx 7% of a 'loss' in quoted size going from 1000 to 1024 (not really a loss but looks that way in some OS)

e.g
    320=297
    500=465
    1000=931
    4TB=3.72

OS X has moved to decimal now so it shows 2TB as 2TB but windows shows a 2TB disk as 1.86GB. The reason I quoted the 7% with regards to iPhone storage is that Apple quote OS X storage in decimal but iOS devices in Binary. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201402

Also please refrain from childish name calling, One would expect someone with over a thousand posts to be more mature.
  • Reply 274 of 368

Do the math, its approx 7% of a 'loss' in quoted size going from 1000 to 1024 (not really a loss but looks that way in some OS)

e.g
    320=297
    500=465
    1000=931
    4TB=3.72

OS X has moved to decimal now so it shows 2TB as 2TB but windows shows a 2TB disk as 1.86GB. Also please refrain from childish name calling, One would expect someone with over a thousand posts to be more mature.

1) And I expect someone who has been a member here since 2007 to not troll the forums with stupid comments about how formatting a drive takes up 7%.

2) Since when is converting from decimal notation to binary the same as formatting a drive? You just surpassed knappe, but this is the first of the year so he still gets last year's title. The good news is no one will take your title for awhile.
  • Reply 275 of 368
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Don't know how you have gone through life with computers and never once noticed that you don't get the quoted disk size available ever.

Except you do if you use a Mac with Snow Leopard or later.

Windows reportes gibibytes as gigabytes. OS X used to report gibibytes as gigabytes. It doesn’t anymore.

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Do the math, its approx 7% of a 'loss' in quoted size… …not really a loss...

Then don’t say it is.

OS X has moved to decimal now...

So don’t claim otherwise as you did here:

...you don't get the quoted disk size available ever.

• Reply 276 of 368
    Except you do if you use a Mac with Snow Leopard or later.

Windows reportes gibibytes as gigabytes. OS X used to report gibibytes as gigabytes. It doesn’t anymore.

Then don’t say it is.

So don’t claim otherwise as you did here:

Good points, well made. Thank you.
  • Reply 277 of 368
    The reason I quoted the 7% with regards to iPhone storage is that Apple quote OS X storage in decimal but iOS devices in Binary.

And yet you claimed this was because it's lost when you format the drive? Seriously?!

Advertised: 500 GB Drive
    Pre-formatted: 500,277,790,720 Bytes = 500.28 Gigabytes = 465.92 Gibibytes
    Formatted: 499,418,034,176 Bytes = 499.42 Gigabytes = 465.12 Gibibytes

Are the maths on that really that difficult to figure out?
  • Reply 278 of 368
    1) Why, when 16GB is more than enough for a huge number of users? Do you really want your 64GB and 128GB models to either be more expensive or offer less as a result so that Apple can make their profit margin while a huge users are getting more space than they'll need?

2) In 2007 the default storage was 4GB and then 8GB. 16GB for the new iPhone is fine.

Oops I forgot the original sizes. Is that the only component that will eat the profit margin? Why not stay at 512MB of RAM, or on a slower processor? A higher resolution camera means bigger files for photos, and videos.
  • Reply 279 of 368
    Oops I forgot the original sizes. Is that the only component that will eat the profit margin? Why not stay at 512MB of RAM, or on a slower processor? A higher resolution camera means bigger files for photos, and videos.

I'd rather that the flagship iPhone doesn't stay at less RAM and a slower processor with less features so that customers who don't need twice the capacity don't have to get it. 16GB is more than enough for many, many people. As I stated previously, I recommended 16GB iPhone 6 series to most people after looking at their usage stats on their current device.
  • Reply 280 of 368
    I'd rather that the flagship iPhone doesn't stay at less RAM and a slower processor with less features so that customers who don't need twice the capacity don't have to get it. 16GB is more than enough for many, many people. As I stated previously, I recommended 16GB iPhone 6 series to most people after looking at their usage stats on their current device.

Your anecdotal evidence is no good here. ;)
    Usage can change with one single app. I got my son a 16GB iPod Touch figuring he can get a few games, and take some pics. All was fine until he found Hyperlapse. Now he videos everything in order to see what it looks like sped up. We're constantly arguing over what to delete, and what to keep. Now I wish I had spent the extra $50 for the 32GB version.