Class-action lawsuit accuses Apple of misrepresenting iPhone storage with iOS 8

Comments

• Reply 161 of 368
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The operating system takes up actual storage space?

Wow, stop the presses.

next it will be revealed the device has to be recharged.
  • Reply 162 of 368
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The operating system takes up actual storage space?

Wow, stop the presses.

next it will be revealed the device has to be recharged.

But but...that battery logo glows green! that must imply that there is enough plutonium in the phone to power it from now to kingdom come!

• Reply 163 of 368
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    stantheman wrote: »
    Whether the merits of the argument are persuasive or not, iOS absorbs less storage than other mobile OS's.

Many, perhaps most android phones allow you to expand the memory for the cost of a SD card.

That said, I never bought the entry level iPhone or iPad.
  • Reply 164 of 368
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    This brings me back to the days of CRT monitors.
    A 15" display was actually a 13" display. A 20" display was a 17" display.
    OK, so this I get, and this deception is what makes people untrustworthy of business and marketing in general.
    But, as far as storage, you buy a computer with a 500 GB hard drive, and a percentage of that is taken up by preinstalled software.
    This has been going on for 30 years.
    So why is a class action suit *now* being brought up?
  • Reply 165 of 368
    steveh wrote: »
    There are going to be different amounts of open memory for each individual device, depending on what a user might install. Free space will change, one way or another, to a greater or lesser amount, depending on which version of an OS happens to be installed on a given device, which language is in use, etc etc etc.

Yes, it really is hard to be that specific.

This is nothing new, and has been the case since digital computers with internal storage were invented, and applies to everything from handheld devices to enterprise server farms.

Each model and SKU will likely be different. Even the carrier profile will change the true capacity value.
  • Reply 166 of 368
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    This is a little nutty. No phone or computer maker lists the amount of free space at purchase. They list the total space. It has been like this since the beginning of PCs.
  • Reply 167 of 368
    tyler82 wrote: »
    This brings me back to the days of CRT monitors.
    A 15" display was actually a 13" display. A 20" display was a 17" display.
    OK, so this I get, and this deception is what makes people untrustworthy of business and marketing in general.
    But, as far as storage, you buy a computer with a 500 GB hard drive, and a percentage of that is taken up by preinstalled software.
    This has been going on for 30 years.
    So why is a class action suit *now* being brought up?
    For a payout, obviously.

And it's not the first lawsuit associated with advertised storage space.
  • Reply 168 of 368
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    appleempl wrote: »
    I bought the 16GB 6 Plus and filled in up with a few apps and about 600 songs. That was the first day I owned it and it gave low or no space warnings. I did own an iPhone before so I had no idea the 16'ers filled up that quickly. I tried to originally upgrade in by 14 day period, but there were no phones in Plus size. I have to live without many songs loaded on it basically. But it did irk me a few times that I couldn't take a photo or video. I'm in on the suit, if it flies.

16 gig phones are good for those that do a little web browsing, some email and texting, maybe singe Facebook or Twitter. Take a few pictures and a couple apps. For that, they're just fine. You got the cheapest phone!!!. Myself, my last iPhone was 32 gig, my 6 is the 128 gig version. Yep, a big jump in size. Room to breath. I tend to hold onto my phones for a number of years, use a lot of apps, close to 300 now, and I take a lot of pictures. I paid more to get the correct size phone. My iPad 3 has 64 gigs which was the largest at that time. Should see how many terabytes my Windows PC has!.

Every OS takes space. When you only have 16 gigs and the OS takes some of it, then you download about update, that update needs space to temporally fit and expand to be installed. Once done you can fill ur back up with your crap. Backup your phone with iTunes, wipe the phone, that's gives you all the space you need, install update, then do a restore to your iPhone. It's pretty simple. Next time don't be such a cheap ass! Should I'd gotten at least the 64 gig version!. Apple made it a good deal to jump to the 64 gig version for only $100 more. The past years it was only a jump to 32 gigs. Yet still you were too cheap!!!. It was like a neon sign saying buy the 64 gig version. Don't be a dummy and waste your time buying the cheap base model, yet you still did and then bitch about it.
  • Reply 169 of 368
    appleempl wrote: »
    I bought the 16GB 6 Plus and filled in up with a few apps and about 600 songs. That was the first day I owned it and it gave low or no space warnings. I did own an iPhone before so I had no idea the 16'ers filled up that quickly. I tried to originally upgrade in by 14 day period, but there were no phones in Plus size. I have to live without many songs loaded on it basically. But it did irk me a few times that I couldn't take a photo or video. I'm in on the suit, if it flies.

That sounds like BS. A non-VBR bitrate of 256kibps an average of 4 minutes is 7.5MiB per song. For 600 songs that's 4.39GiB. From the 11.8GiB available to the user that leaves 7.41GiB

Now what apps are you using that take move you from having plenty of room on your previous iPhone for the same iOS version to being told you don't have enough room? Remember, we're only talking about 200-300MiB difference.

If the Other area of your usage in iTunes is a lot more than 2.5GiB you may have a bug. You should also check your device Settings to check to see which apps are using the most storage.
  • Reply 170 of 368
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Apple gives 5GB (and more*) of iCloud storage for free.

This is more than the amount in question.

The End.

*some things don't count.

• Reply 171 of 368
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Many, perhaps most android phones allow you to expand the memory for the cost of a SD card.

$60 a year and I've expanded my space by 200GB, it's comparable to buying that capacity in memory cards and there is no juggling involved.

A few Android phones don't have memory card slots including most of the Nexus line (there was one Samsung made one I think).

Like computers, buy the biggest capacity you can afford.

• Reply 172 of 368
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    a_greer wrote: »
    Working in enterprise IT, I would ask, why should I spend the extra for 32GB on 1000+ handsets when 8GB works just fine for email, texting and most every other enterprise mobility tool we run? If 8gb isnt good for your use case buy the bigger one...

I am reminded of something my grand father said to me when i was like 5 or 6 - "It is the job of the shop keeper to sell you what is on his shelf, it is your responsibility to know what you need and get that and nothing more or less."

I don't disagree the buyer should understand their needs but let's face it, most don't. As to you not needing more than 8 GIGs I'd just say my assertion that 32 GIG is a good minimum currently, is only based on the premise of the 32 GIGs costing very little. If that were the case, then making extra lower capacity versions would hardly be worth it. At any point in computing history a new base for minimum RAM and storage continuously moves upward as cost comes down. I'm just saying IMHO we should be already be at 32 GIGs.
  • Reply 173 of 368
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I'd like to know what computer manufacturer or smart phone maker or tablet maker advertises how much space is free on the device as a spec anywhere?. IOS uses less then Android for example. A number of then Android phones including the nexus ones can't be expanded. Where's the lawsuit?. Oh ya, lucky to see a upgrade.

IOS 8 takes very little more space then iOS 7 did. Still as a os gets more features, it grows just like any other piece of software since the first computer. This is nothing new.

When you go to install iOS 8 and it tells you it needs however many gigs to install, that's not what it is going to take from that time forward. You have to download the OS onto your device which will be around 4 gigs in size, plus the older os already over your phone. It's also compressed, so when you go and install the new OS you need ruin for the new OS, plus a bit more to uncompress and then install over the old OS. Once it's done you get back most all of that space!!!. Is this really hard to figure out?

Backup your phone with iTunes. Wipe the phone to remove everything. Install new OS, then do a restore when done. All will be good. You've lost in the end a tiny amount of space for that free os upgrade with a bunch of new features. Still, you don't have to upgrade. Stick with using the older OS. Why is this hard to understand?

People are just getting dumber. Goes to show how poor the public education system really is. People are getting dumber every year. It's this kind of crap that screws things up for everyone else. Well this result in phones not getting updated in the future? More crap to read threw and check a box before doing anything?. There's just no way to make everything 100% idiot proof.
  • Reply 174 of 368
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That sounds like BS. A non-VBR bitrate of 256kibps an average of 4 minutes is 7.5MiB per song. For 600 songs that's 4.39GiB. From the 11.8GiB available to the user that leaves 7.41GiB

Now what apps are you using that take move you from having plenty of room on your previous iPhone for the same iOS version to being told you don't have enough room? Remember, we're only talking about 200-300MiB difference.

If the Other area of your usage in iTunes is a lot more than 2.5GiB you may have a bug. You should also check your device Settings to check to see which apps are using the most storage.

Users not deleting their iMessages is probably the biggest memory storage hog that most overlook, which was mentioned earlier in this thread. People do not realize how quickly that eats into storage room. That's been my experience, anyway. The photos and .gifs (and the 10s of 1000s of typed characters) contained in all active (undeleted) iMessage threads fall under the "Other" category when looking at the memory usage bar graph in iTunes when an iPhone is connected and/or syncing. If one ever wonders why that "Other" section is so large, iMessage is probably the culprit....not to mention emails and their attachments, also.

Happy New Year to you and everyone here! 

• Reply 175 of 368
    Users not deleting their iMessages is probably the biggest memory storage hog that most overlook, which was mentioned earlier in this thread. People do not realize how quickly that eats into storage room. That's been my experience, anyway. The photos and .gifs (and the 10s of 1000s of typed characters) contained in all active (undeleted) iMessage threads fall under the "Other" category when looking at the memory usage bar graph in iTunes when an iPhone is connected and/or syncing.

Happy New Year to you and everyone here! 

The periodic, automatic removal of iMessages was one feature I submitted about 18 months ago to Apple. I'm glad that arrived in iOS 8. For such a new messaging service, as well as one with many growing pains, I use it heavily in not only texts, but various multimedia files that take up a lot of space.
  • Reply 176 of 368
    Quote:

"sharp business tactics" can take advantage of consumers in a "desperate moment," such as when they're "trying to record or take photos at a child or grandchild's recital, basketball game or wedding."

Why the cloying sentimentality, why not add or "a desperate moment like when they're trying to record themselves hitting the lightbulb while polishing the bishop".

• Reply 177 of 368
    Quote:

The periodic, automatic removal of iMessages was one feature I submitted about 18 months ago to Apple. I'm glad that arrived in iOS 8. For such a new messaging service, as well as one with many growing pains, I use it heavily in not only texts, but various multimedia files that take up a lot of space.

That's true and it's a great new, handy feature. (Thank you, BTW, for giving Apple the idea :D) It's one less thing I need to be mindful of, but, since it's set to save "forever" by default, a lot of users don't know the setting option is there....and, therefore, don't take advantage of it.

If one really takes a step back, it becomes clear how many users do not use or know a lot of user-helpful features an OS (especially iOS) offers.

• Reply 178 of 368
    Quote:

They left off 1000^9  gottalottabyte.

• Reply 179 of 368
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tjwal wrote: »

What can you store on that SD card? And is it the same quality as the flash memory inside the device?
  • Reply 180 of 368
    This is as dumb as it gets. This article is about a year ago but not much really changed from their reports

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2545258/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-owners-just-HALF-storage-paid-bloatware.html

Which? magazine tested the eight most popular 16GB handsets including Apple's iPhone 5S and 5C, Samsung's Galaxy S4, Google's Nexus 5, the Sony Xperia Z1, BlackBerry's Z30, the HTC One Mini and LG's G2.
    The S4 offers just 8.56GB of available storage, down from 8.8GB in tests carried out in May.
    Apple's iPhone 5C has 12.6GB, while the iPhone 5S offers slightly less at 12.2GB.
    LG's G2 and HTC One Mini have just short of 11GB of available space each - 10.37GB and 10.44GB respectively.
    Some of the preinstalled Samsung files are needed for its new features, such as eye tracking, air gestures and voice commands.