Apple updates French website to show support for Charlie Hebdo after deadly terrorist attack

Comments

• Reply 21 of 274
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    None of which was advocated in the Bible. Christ didn't go around saying "yo, kill those folks if they disagree with you."

Sure there is. Not Jesus, but there is plenty of killing in the Bible.
    Let's use a modern example: Family Guy recently did some episodes which were pretty blasphemous, and downright insulting towards Christians. Pretty sure I didn't see Pope Francis calling for a fatwa on Fox, or Christians marching on Seth McFarlane's house. It was condemned and that was the end of it.

1) Why would an Argentine born Catholic Pope living in Vatican City call for a "fatwa"? I believe that's an Arabic word that is still used specifically in Islam. That's to say it couldn't be a loanword that's adopted but at this point it sounds like hyperbole to make that scenario.

2) Christianity is at a different place in their history than Islam. You can go back a little and Christianity becomes the excessively violent religion. Consider the religious tolerance of the Ottoman Empire and how "Christians" in Europe death with it.
  • Reply 22 of 274
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

None of which was advocated in the Bible. Christ didn't go around saying "yo, kill those folks if they disagree with you."

Let's use a modern example: Family Guy recently did some episodes which were pretty blasphemous, and downright insulting towards Christians. Pretty sure I didn't see Pope Francis calling for a fatwa on Fox, or Christians marching on Seth McFarlane's house. It was condemned and that was the end of it.

Now, if they tried that with Mohammed, well, how do you think that'd go?

It'd get a press conference and condemnation from Obama, for starters.

Is the freedom to joke about someone's deepest belief really important enough to continue to poke at crazy people. It's like a screaming the name of the crazy kid who already hates you to get a reaction, then being surprised by the action.

Now, if they tried that with Mohammed, well, how do you think that'd go?

It'd get a press conference and condemnation from Obama, for starters.
    They should leave them alone. I'm all for free speech, but that does not apply to other cultures. To force what we feel is acceptable on another culture is as wrong as they are. They should leave crazy people alone. It like standing in the front yard of the crazy kid from school who hates your guts and calling him a sissy to get a reaction, then being upset and surprised that he reacted.
  • Reply 23 of 274
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Sure there is. Not Jesus, but there is plenty of killing in the Bible.

1) Why would an Argentine born Catholic Pope living in Vatican City call for a "fatwa"? I believe that's an Arabic word that is still used specifically in Islam. That's to say it couldn't be a loanword that's adopted but at this point it sounds like hyperbole to make that scenario.

2) Christianity is at a different place in their history than Islam. You can go back a little and Christianity becomes the excessively violent religion. Consider the religious tolerance of the Ottoman Empire and how "Christians" in Europe about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

But interestingly Christianity has had many wars and massacres performed under its banner. Kings have been murdered for crossing the church. And beheadings were the norm.

You do realize that when the Christian kings of Europe were behaving like this, that was the common form of behavior for all.  Whether Christian, Pagan, Muslim, or otherwise, a thousand years ago (plus or minus) wars, violence, etc. were common amongst most all societies, groups of people, etc.

• Reply 24 of 274

Not to mention, we don't justify someone killing someone today by saying "oh, people did it in the past, so now it's their turn".

If I decide to duel my psychology professor and kill him, I don't think the courts would accept me saying "But Aaron Burr got away with it!"

(obviously that's a hypothetical)

• Reply 25 of 274
    genovelle wrote: »
    Is the freedom to joke about someone's deepest belief really important enough to continue to poke at crazy people. It's like a screaming the name of the crazy kid who already hates you to get a reaction, then being surprised by the action.

I believe it's important that the freedom to express yourself in a non-violent way be permitted.

Personally, I think issue with the depictions of Muhammad is far out of hand. I also believe the intent of such teaching was so that one doesn't fall into worshiping a specific idol, like with Christianity. The fact a depiction would cause such violence sounds like a warped interpretation of Muhammad's teachings.
  • Reply 26 of 274
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I believe it's important that the freedom to express yourself in a non-violent way be permitted.

Personally, I think issue with the depictions of Muhammad is far out of hand. I believe the intent of such teaching was so that one doesn't fall into worshiping a specific idol, like with Christianity. The fact a depiction would cause such violence sounds like a warped interpretation of Muhammad's teachings.

While you are correct on all counts, nothing good was to come from antagonizing these people. It's like adult bullies.shouldnt online bullies have a right to free speech and tell someone what they feel? Not at the expense of the other party, which unless They claim to be the media.
  • Reply 27 of 274
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

These radical Islamic scumbags need to be exterminated from the face of the Earth.

I'm a practising Muslim, and I completely agree with you. The people who perpetrated this are despicable cockroaches, and there is absolutely no justification or excuse for their murderous crimes. What people need to understand, is that 99.999% of the world's Muslims share the same disgust at this than everyone else- and even more so, since these nutcases claim to share the same religion. 

• Reply 28 of 274
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

These radical Islamic scumbags need to be exterminated from the face of the Earth.

What is the goal of these extremists? To have everyone on Earth follow the same belief? They're complete dicks. Might be better to teach normal people how to properly arm and defend themselves from such extremists, because reliance on police, spying on everyone and data collection up the wazoo has not worked. Better than burying more and more innocent people.

• Reply 29 of 274
    Quote:

While you are correct on all counts, nothing good was to come from antagonizing these people. It's like adult bullies.shouldnt online bullies have a right to free speech and tell someone what they feel? Not at the expense of the other party, which unless They claim to be the media.

Are you comparing Charlie Hebdo to a bully?

• Reply 30 of 274
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm a practising Muslim, and I completely agree with you. The people who perpetrated this are despicable cockroaches, and there is absolutely no justification or excuse for their murderous crimes. What people need to understand, is that 99.999% of the world's Muslims share the same disgust at this than everyone else- and even more so, since these nutcases claim to share the same religion. 

YOU are a practicing Muslim? This I find surprising.

• Reply 31 of 274
    Boy, I can't wait for [@]Benjamin Frost[/@] and [@]Apple ][[/@] to weigh in on this topic¡ :D

genovelle wrote: »
    While you are correct on all counts, nothing good was to come from antagonizing these people.

In the short-term, I agree. In the longterm, I would suspect that sensitivity to such non-issues would dissipate, just as "Christians" no longer put people to death for heresy.

The way I see it, if you cater to the overly sensitive they will become even more sensitive. I agree with Joan Rivers in this matter. Never apologize for a joke.
  • Reply 32 of 274
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Then you are no better than they are.

Yes, omnicidal maniacs have a place in human society¡

But interestingly Christianity has had many wars and massacres performed under its banner.

Torah? Says kill everyone who doesn’t believe.

Quran? Says kill everyone who doesn’t believe.

Bible? Says love everyone, even if they don’t believe.

Which one seems more palatable to you?

‘Killing in its name’ ? ‘killing in its doctrine’.

• Reply 33 of 274
    Torah? Says kill everyone who doesn’t believe.
    Quran? Says kill everyone who doesn’t believe.
    Bible? Says love everyone, even if they don’t believe.

[VIDEO]

That isn't even close to accurate. That sounds like something from FOX News.
  • Reply 34 of 274
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

YOU are a practicing Muslim? This I find surprising.

I know, eh? That's the thing about stereotypes and generalizations. Don't believe the image of "Muslims" you see on the news. We're just like everyone else, same problems, same human feelings, and some of us post on Apple message boards and love to take down trolls. ;) 

Every Muslim I know feels a high level of disgust and revulsion over these kinds of acts, but at the same time, we should not feel compelled to defend ourselves as if we're complicit in the act. 

• Reply 35 of 274
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

...Every Muslim I know feels a high level of disgust and revulsion over these kinds of acts, but at the same time, we should not feel compelled to defend ourselves as if we're complicit in the act. 

Completely agree.

• Reply 36 of 274
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

So when you see one of these terrorists beheading an innocent civilian, the first thing that comes to your mind is they need to be educated? The first thing that comes to my mind if find them and destroy them. 

Right, educate them.  Shake your finger at them and tell them they are being naughty.  Let's meditate and let them see the errors of their ways.  Great idea!

These muslims know that the "politically correct" within democratic societies will navel gaze forever.  This is what they are counting on to destroy democracy around the world unless those of us who value free speech and free thought unite to exterminate these pigs.  Respond to a war as a war.  A war is not kind or gentle.  But this is war and its about time we recognized it before it's too late.

• Reply 37 of 274
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ... and like Christianity, I believe reform will come to the Muslim religion.

If that doesn't happen can I get the location of your island, so we can then be island hermits? :lol:
  • Reply 38 of 274
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That isn't even close to accurate.

I’d think you of all people would do your due before claiming that.

• Reply 39 of 274
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That isn't even close to accurate. That sounds like something from FOX News.

He was 1 for 3, which is great in baseball. ;)
  • Reply 40 of 274
    I’d think you of all people would do your due before claiming that.

Leviticus 24:16 calls for the death of blasphemers, not necessarily all nonbelievers.