Rumor: Apple shooting for 19 hours of Apple Watch battery life under normal conditions, 2.5 hours 'h

Comments

• Reply 61 of 146
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    roake wrote: »
    ...For those in my group/profession who work 30-hour shifts, it won't fly!...

What on earth are you doing working 30 hour shifts? I'm having trouble imagining a situation where the pros of working so long outweigh the loss of focus/productivity.

Anyway, no. If your daily routine is so different than a normal person's, then the Apple Watch is probably not designed for you.
  • Reply 62 of 146
    iaeen wrote: »
    What on earth are you doing working 30 hour shifts? I'm having trouble imagining a situation where the pros of working so long outweigh the loss of focus/productivity.

Anyway, no. If your daily routine is so different than a normal person's, then the Apple Watch is probably not designed for you.

Wouldn't certain people in the medical field and firefighters hold such hours?
  • Reply 63 of 146
    roake wrote: »

I can't recall any astronauts that have experienced zero-gravity.  But why would a spring-driven watch not work in zero-gravity anyway?

Spring driven watches work fine. Automatic movements won't wind properly in free fall (since we're splitting hairs).
  • Reply 64 of 146
    Wouldn't certain people in the medical field and firefighters hold such hours?

Sure, but they sleep during their shift. Plenty of time to charge a device.
  • Reply 65 of 146
    A, yeah 4 hours isn't 19. The bear minimum I would purchase this would 12 hours, serious.

But I only plan to:

Wake up put it on,

Look at the time maybe 15 times during the day.

When i get 3-5 texts a day look and see if they are an emergency.

But the kicker is this, I will be able to get into my 2010 SUV, that will be paid off, and sit down and press play to start my music to feed the Bluetooth dongle patch I have because my bluetooth doesn't do music, that I paid 10 dollars for. AND NOT HAVE TO BUY A WHOLE FREAKING NEW CAR! Just to get BT Music in.

In addition I will be able to see a text while driving, once again emergency or not. This will also allow me to use Siri while driving, to Press the "Siri" Button that is. Then emails too.

I have a HUGE iPad Nano (iPhone 6 Plus) in my pocket which fits, but is annoying to take out while driving and I don't normally unless emergency.

This solves a BIG f-ing kludge in my eco-system that will now be COMPLETELY over, I will now take out my iPhone 6 Plus out of my pocket 1/10th! of the time now.

AMEN! Do or say whatever you want, I am SOLD SOLD SOLD, especially 19 hours. And I aint playing games on it or photos or movies so yeah I should get my 12 minimum.

You can go buy whatever you want, but like I said I am SOLD.
  • Reply 66 of 146
    There is light weight solar power opions. For example Ascent Solar Tech to be intergated some way in to the wearable band, wireless solar tech.
  • Reply 67 of 146

The upcoming Apple Watch is version 1.0.

What did you mother teach you about buying expensive, brand new things that were version 1.0?

Mine too. But I'm going to buy an Apple Watch as soon as I can. I've got an iPhone 6 for it, I like its look, and I want to make a tech and fashion statement.

The battery problem? 'Yes, 'tis a pity that battery life, for all batteries, hasn't improved more over the years. But I bought the first iPhone and it lasted about 6 hours with normal use as I recall. I still loved it.

I'm sure Apple will do interesting things, both software and hardware-wise, to lengthen battery life as the product evolves. So... should one spend $14,000 on a version 1 gold Apple Watch? That is a discussion to have with your financial wealth adviser.

• Reply 68 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Since when did early 2015 mean January?

When it meant a cheap "win."

• Reply 69 of 146
    The short battery life represents a shortness of vision. Why isn't Apple announcing wrist straps with embedded ribbon batteries? If they don't, a third party certainly will within a year.
  • Reply 70 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

Is there a way Apple could make the thing reserve a portion of battery life so the watch can at least show you the time when it's running low on battery?

Showing the time IS the low battery warning...

• Reply 71 of 146
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    All these cagey estimates of battery life just show how bad it's going to be.

Having to quote figures of 2.5-4 hours depending on activity is Apple covering their backs early on. Even if you manage 19 hours, what will it be like in a year or two? Probably a few hours less.

These are made up rumors, not Apple specifications. Or did u forget Mr. "Feb thru Nov is mid year"?
  • Reply 72 of 146
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    rogifan wrote: »
    It good but it could also mean February or even March IMO.

Yes March for the whole world. Q1 is early. April is pretty early too.
  • Reply 73 of 146

Apple will find away to deal with the battery life on the smart watch.  It's a 1st generation product to the public and it will be eco friendly. :)

• Reply 74 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is targeting 19 hours of battery life under mixed usage conditions for its upcoming Apple Watch wearable, consistent with Apple CEO Tim Cook's estimate that users will want to charge the device daily.

Apple Watch Sport

When Cook unveiled Apple Watch in September, he was careful to paint in broad strokes, revealing a wide range of features, but little in the way of device specifications. The Apple chief later commented that that owners will "wind up charging it daily," though the company has remained tight lipped over the past four months.

On Thursday, people familiar with Apple's plans shed light on the situation, saying that
    as of 2014 the company targeted battery life at 19 hours of mixed usage, reports 9to5Mac. More specifically, Apple was aiming to squeeze out 2.5 to 4 hours in "active" app use, 3 days in standby and 4 days in sleep mode.

However, sources warn that a first-generation version may not reach Apple's goals. The same people say current standard use estimates put Apple Watch battery life at around 3.5 hours, dropping to 2.5 hours under heavy load, while power-saving passive modes can milk 2 to 3 days.

Apple is still tweaking software to find the right mix of performance and survivability. For example, the company is targeting 4 hours of continuous exercise tracking when linked to an iPhone, suggesting raw data is handed off to the more capable handset for processing.

Battery life continues to be one of the most significant technical hurdles for smartwatch manufacturers and Apple faces the same predicament with its small form factor device. Apple Watch packs in a custom-designed S1 system-on-chip approximately as powerful as the A5 processor, as well as a Retina-quality display, both major draws on what is expected to be a relatively low-capacity battery cell.

Apple has not yet set a firm release date for Apple Watch, but holds to an "early 2015" launch.

Use a solar panel light weight band.

• Reply 75 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

Yes March for the whole world. Q1 is early. April is pretty early too.

Quote:

Solar panel powered battery watch band.

• Reply 76 of 146
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

That's worse than I thought. Maybe they shouldn't allow 3rd party apps on the first generation, similar to how the 1st iPhone didn't.

• Reply 77 of 146
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Isn't the beauty of a high end watch supposed to be NOT having to wind(charge) it? Good luck with this. The message on this product so far is too mixed

But it is not a high end watch is it? It's a computer on your wrist. Having said that it most definitely can be used exclusively as a high end watch and if it is then it would go for 2-3 days.

• Reply 78 of 146
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I wonder if Apple would do better to limit the functionality of the ? watch in favour of better battery life?

I mean, there's always going to be an ? watch 2 ...

• Reply 79 of 146
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TYancy View Post

The short battery life represents a shortness of vision. Why isn't Apple announcing wrist straps with embedded ribbon batteries? If they don't, a third party certainly will within a year.

I agree they missed an opportunity to have more space for batteries in the bands, but there absolutely will not be third parties offering them as there is nothing to connect them to on the watch.

• Reply 80 of 146
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

30 hrs?  I saw a program on NHK tv where they were looking at a convenience store in a hospital in Japan.  At one point they spoke to to a woman Dr who was just on her way home for the first time in 3 days.