Apple Store employees to get updated attire, go 'back to blue' starting Feb. 2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
Starting Feb. 2, customers walking into an Apple Store may notice something a little different as employees are expected to wear newly designed crew neck or polo shirts in a familiar shade of blue, but with repositioned and resized white Apple logos.

The new shirt choices, shown above in a company email obtained by AppleInsider, appear to be the next step in Apple SVP of Retail Angela Ahrendts' plan to clean up Apple Store operations.

The updated attire is not surprising considering Ahrendts' deep roots in the fashion industry. The retail chief, who oversees both physical and digital Apple Store operations, vacated her position as Burberry CEO last year for the chance to work with Apple.

Under the new policy, presented as "Back to Blue...But All New," employees can wear either a crew neck or polo shirt, both the same shade of dark blue. The styles come in long and short sleeve variations, though employees will be given one short sleeve version of each to start.

According to the email, Apple's new shirts are made of "finer cotton" for a more comfortable fit and use 10 percent recycled materials. The Apple logo will be smaller compared to current the design and is "centered over the heart."

Apple's current Apple Store shirt design.

Employees will be able to layer white long sleeved shirts underneath the new blues, but a decision has not been made regarding outerwear like jackets and fleece, clothing many workers view as a necessity for working in Apple's air conditioned stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    Details matter.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    She's cleaning up the mess left behind by John Browett¡

No seriously, this is a nice tweak. The tees were a bit laid back.
  • Reply 3 of 78

In my local store one of the Apple employees reeked of cannabis. I don't care what people do on their own time, but that was unpleasant.
  • Reply 4 of 78

Well, at least we didn't let the slop shop operator run things too long.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    In my local store one of the Apple employees reeked of cannabis. I don't care what people do on their own time, but that was unpleasant.

Ask to speak to the manager on duty. That is completely unacceptable for any retail operation, let alone the Apple Store.
  • Reply 6 of 78

Do the polo shirts denote a higher rank of shop boy/shop girl?

Edit:  Apparently not.  Still I'd get the polo!

• Reply 7 of 78
    s.metcalf wrote: »
    Do the polo shirts denote a higher rank of shop boy/shop girl?

Edit:  Apparently not.  Still I'd get the polo!

And are "red shirts" indicating which characters will be killed off in the episode?
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Ask to speak to the manager on duty. That is completely unacceptable for any retail operation, let alone the Apple Store.
    If he has a medical card or lives in a State where it's legal, and provided it doesn't affect his duties in any way I'm not sure there's much that can be done.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

If he has a medical card or lives in a State where it's legal, and provided it doesn't affect his duties in any way I'm not sure there's much that can be done.

just because it's legal in the state doesn't mean it's legal on the job or at the very least right.

• Reply 10 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I'm pretty sure having an off-putting odor that drives away customers falls under affecting retail duties.

• Reply 11 of 78
    canukstorm wrote: »
    just because it's legal in the state doesn't mean it's legal on the job or at the very least right.
    True but if he has a MMJ card then Apple could face complications in terminating the employee I would suspect
  • Reply 12 of 78
    Where can I buy them for myself???
  • Reply 13 of 78
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Where can I buy them for myself???
    Wait a week, then they'll be flooding in from China. Try eBay next week. Or sooner if you don't mind a Samsung logo.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    At first glance at the bottom pic I thought that Xzibit had got a job with Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member

I'm pretty sure having an off-putting odor that drives away customers falls under affecting retail duties.
    Maybe he is there specifically for 'creative' types :D
  • Reply 16 of 78
    All about raising the profile of Apple's brand image in fashion. Apple meets RL.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Hey, I'm all for cannabis. I smoke plenty of weed, but any Apple retail employee who reeks of cannabis on the job should be fired.

It doesn't matter if it's in a weed legal state. Alcohol is legal in all states, but that doesn't mean that you can show up for work drunk like a skunk, and it doesn't mean that you can go around toking while working in an Apple store.

As for the shirts, I'm just glad that they're blue. I never did like the red shirts that they had, it reminded me of communists or something.

• Reply 18 of 78
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hey, I'm all for cannabis. I smoke plenty of weed, but any Apple retail employee who reeks of cannabis on the job should be fired.

It doesn't matter if it's in a weed legal state. Alcohol is legal in all states, but that doesn't mean that you can show up for work drunk like a skunk, and it doesn't mean that you can go around toking while working in an Apple store.

As for the shirts, I'm just glad that they're blue. I never did like the red shirts that they had, it reminded me of communists or something.

I would not be to proud of your boasting you smoke a lot of weed. Eventually your psychological behavior will go to numbness of your thinking capacity. You are inhaling poison in your system.

• Reply 19 of 78
    Quote:

[the Apple logo is] "centered over the heart."

Someone at Apple might benefit from a basic anatomy refresher! (The old centered logo was much closer!)

• Reply 20 of 78
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I would not be to proud of your boasting you smoke a lot of weed. Eventually your psychological behavior will go to numbness of your thinking capacity. You are inhaling poison in your system.

Where do people get this crap?

I don't smoke weed, I don't enjoy it.  But it's not poison. 

And it's not going to cause anyone psychological problems.