By the numbers: Apple's ludicrous fourth quarter

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Low taxes on the high seas.

Fuçk Google barges, Apple has a motherfucking aircraft carrier.

Why bother with antediluvian transport systems like aircraft carriers?

Add dollars to R&D so Jony & Team can begin sketching out the 2020 introduction of the Helicarrier.

• Reply 62 of 122
    cityguide wrote: »
    Why bother with antediluvian...

I got that far in your post before I knew where you were going with your comment. :D
  • Reply 63 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pfisher wrote: »
    They will have to, to ensure everyone on the planet has an iPhone eventually.

That would be a sad day
  • Reply 64 of 122

So, basically AAPL to the moon could be literal if they wanted it to be. 

• Reply 65 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

LOL

Nah...too much like Google's failed SF Bay adventure.

I think Apple would ask and get the proper permits first. 

• Reply 66 of 122
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Great results - let's just hope that Apple doesn't become a one-trick pony: almost 65% of revenues coming from the iPhone only is, in my view, a worrying sign.

There he is!
  • Reply 67 of 122
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

$687: The average selling price of the iPhone.

$45: The average selling price of phones from Microsoft's handset unit last quarter.

I question the validity of this comparison !     It must be an apples vs oranges comparison.

Possibly the  full price of an iPhone vs the down payment for a MS phone ?

• Reply 68 of 122
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

I question the validity of this comparison !     It must be an apples vs oranges comparison.

Possibly the  full price of an iPhone vs the down payment for a MS phone ?

I had heard this figure too, and didn't believe it either, but that's the way the numbers work out, at least superficially (that includes feature phone sales). Windows sold 10.5m Lumia smartphones and 39.7m non-Lumia phones (Nokia feature phones?) for a total of 50.2m phones.. Total revenue was $2.28b which, divided by 50.2m, gives an ASP of $45.

This really is a bit of an Apples-to-oranges comparison, but those are the numbers.

• Reply 69 of 122
    rrrobrrrob Posts: 18member

Just a nit, but that technically isn't a picture of an Apollo launch in the article—it's the launch of Skylab, using one of the Saturn V launch vehicles left over from the cancellation of the Apollo program after Apollo 17.

• Reply 70 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RRRob View Post

Just a nit, but that technically isn't a picture of an Apollo launch in the article—it's the launch of Skylab, using one of the Saturn V launch vehicles left over from the cancellation of the Apollo program after Apollo 17.

LOL. I love the fact-checking. Some of the best commentary on the web here, IMO.

• Reply 71 of 122
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Okay, I'll bite- how can you tell?

• Reply 72 of 122
    Hey, maybe Apple could float m$ 150 mil to keep it afloat. Wouldn't that be divine justice.
  • Reply 73 of 122
    rrrobrrrob Posts: 18member

Here's a closer image of the Skylab launch:

By NASA (http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Note the large payload fairing at the top of the rocket in each photo, instead of the comparatively slim Apollo command/service module and abort system rocket tower. Nothing else was ever launched on a Saturn V with that fairing.

• Reply 74 of 122
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

It's surprising Apple sells as many Macs and the market does grow in light of tablets and phones doing much of what a Mac can do. In our family, you can find us on our phones the vast majority of the time. Wife and daughters don't use a computer. Just phone and iPads.

And a Mac, while awesome, is overkill for a lot of people. With their phones and iPads doing 95% of the work, it's easy to see why people just stay with their "trucks", their PCs.

So, this is pretty awesome that Apple continues to grow its Macs like it does. I wonder what percentage are college students who buy a new Mac for school and could be a good chunk of this market.

One other thing, the Macs seem to last longer. We have a 2009 MacBook that has been around the block and back and then some and it looks like new.

My main machine is an early 2008 MBP 15-in. with 6GB RAM. Granted, I take good care of it, but these things are built to last in the first place. It's run every OS since Tiger without a hitch. And Yosemite runs very nicely on it, even while using it with an external 24-in. display. The only thing I'm really missing is the Handoff portion of Continuity, but I get all the rest of Continuity and I can more than hang on until an upgrade maybe next year. 

If I want to squeeze even more snappiness out of it (it's already fast as it is!), I just install Onyx and tweak the animations. I find that in keeping with the "flat", minimal paradigm of OS X's post-Mavericks UI, choosing speed over superfluous eye-candy seems very appropriate.

At any rate, I'm quite pleased with this little workhorse!

And you're quite right, today's iPhones and iPads can shoulder a good chunk of the everyday load. I'm most impressed with how the iPhone 6 Plus has eaten into a bit of the iPad share. I'm happy as can be with my 6, but I think next time around I'll move to whatever Apple's larger iPhone offering is. 

• Reply 75 of 122
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Here's a closer image of the Skylab launch:

By NASA (http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Note the large payload fairing at the top of the rocket in each photo, instead of the comparatively slim Apollo command/service module and abort system rocket tower. Nothing else was ever launched on a Saturn V with that fairing.

Good eye.

I learned something today.  :)

• Reply 76 of 122

While it's true that Apple charges more for their computers to "pay" for the OS, I can upgrade my Mac Mini with new OSes for free until the Mini is outdated. I have a Windows machine, and if you want to "upgrade" to the newest OS, it always costs you money. I have Mac computers that are 8-9 years old and can still get the OS upgraded for free. There have been 3 Windows OSes in that time frame, each costing well over a hundred dollars. I like both OSes (until Windows 8 came out), but I do think you get pretty good bang for your buck with Apple.

• Reply 77 of 122
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

China bought $16B worth of iPhones last quarter.  Investors bought $16B worth of Apple stocks today.

• Reply 78 of 122
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Apple should by Google. Spin off Android to win approval from the FTC and watch it die of a slow death....No more Android!
  • Reply 79 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Apple should by Google. Spin off Android to win approval from the FTC and watch it die of a slow death....No more Android!

Google isn't for sale...yet.

• Reply 80 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Google isn't for sale...yet.

Everything's for sale.