Rumor: Apple to hold event this month to unveil Retina MacBook Air & finalize Apple Watch specs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2015
Apple may be planning to hold a media event in late February to showcase the final version of its upcoming Apple Watch, and also debut a newly redesigned MacBook Air, potentially with a Retina display, according to a new report.

Apple Watch Sport

Word of a potential late-February event was reported on Wednesday by French Apple publication iGen, citing unnamed sources. Specifically, it was said that Tuesday, Feb. 24, could be a likely date for such an event to unveil upcoming products.

Rumors have suggested that Apple will launch an all-new 12-inch MacBook Air with a thinner chassis this quarter, which concludes at the end of March. A late February event could set Apple up to debut the new MacBook Air within that timeframe.

It's expected that the redesigned MacBook Air will sport a high-resolution 12-inch Retina display. There have also been claims that the device will feature the new, smaller, reversible USB 3.0 port.

As for the Apple Watch, although Apple offered a preview of the device and its appearance last September, the company has been working behind the scenes to finalize the hardware and software ahead of its launch in April. A February event could give Apple an opportunity to offer more specifics on the upcoming wearable device, such as battery life.

Another potential product unveiling could be a so-called "iPad Pro," rumored to feature a 12.2-inch display. However, it's been reported that the device may not launch until the second quarter of 2015, making it potentially a candidate for WWDC.

Apple hasn't held a major event early in the year in a few years, instead waiting to unveil new products at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The last time Apple held a major product unveiling event in the first quarter of the calendar year was for the third-generation iPad in 2012.

iGen has a respectable track record in predicting Apple's future plans. Last fall, the site got its hands on Foxconn schematics that showed the final design of the iPhone 6, and the site also predicted the launch details for Apple's latest-generation handsets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    New MacBook? I'm going to need all new stickers!
  • Reply 2 of 69
    iPad Plus, MBA 12 and the Watch.

New Apple Beats App will come out with ios 9 at wwdc.
  • Reply 3 of 69

New Mac Pros as well, please.

• Reply 4 of 69
    fully expect the new Macbook Air to be a hybrid that has both iOS and OS X on it depending on if it's Docked. ;)

Yup.. if you're going to go crazy, go and be a true crazy one..
  • Reply 5 of 69
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

fully expect the new Macbook Air to be a hybrid that has both iOS and OS X on it depending on if it's Docked. image

Yup.. if you're going to go crazy, go and be a true crazy one..

No. Please. If Apple ever make a hybrid device which I doubt they will ever do, it'll be a new category, not Macbook Air. As long as Tim Cooks shall live, you won't see a "float and fly" device ever. Apple is all about user experience and hybrid device doesn't fit that.

• Reply 6 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

No. Please. If Apple ever make a hybrid device which I doubt they will ever do, it'll be a new category, not Macbook Air. As long as Tim Cooks shall live, you won't see a "float and fly" device ever. Apple is all about user experience and hybrid device doesn't fit that.

I agree... just some of the crazy stuff, thought I'd pitch in.. lol

Honestly, if 12" MBA exists, I seriously hope they wait for Skylake and fully integrate all of Skylake's reported wireless abilities. Wireless 4k Display, Wireless Device connectivity and Wireless charging.. combined with the new single port 'rumor' that would actually make an awesome system.. Only connect cables when you 'must'.. dream within a dream.. lol

Don't care for touch screen or anything like that. 

• Reply 7 of 69
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelmung View Post

"New Apple Beats App will come out with ios 9 at wwdc."

Where did you hear / read that?

• Reply 8 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Only time I need new stickers is when I trade in my Honda Civic for a new one.

• Reply 9 of 69
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

New Mac Pros as well, please.

Probably just a silent speed bump for those.  Are there even new processors out there yet?

• Reply 10 of 69
    I don't see why they wouldn't just do an event the usual 1-2 weeks out before launch day. If the watch is coming April I would say mid March is more likely.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    "New Apple Beats App will come out with ios 9 at wwdc."

Where did you hear / read that?

9to5Mac has an exclusive rumors story about Beats. Rumors are something was supposed to lauch this spring but due to a myriad of issues will probably be pushed to WWDC.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I suggest a batman one. At least that's what I will add to my next notebook.

• Reply 13 of 69
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

I don't see why they wouldn't just do an event the usual 1-2 weeks out before launch day. If the watch is coming April I would say mid March is more likely.

Agree.  But Apple has never (really) done a wearable, and they've never done a consumer product as expensive as the Apple Watch Edition. Just a random guess, but I'd say it might run $2K or higher.  Depending on whether the band has a matching gold clasp.  So Apple might want to build the buzz for a few extra weeks before the Apple Watch release.

Then again, an all-new MacBook Air should get more than 2nd billing.  Especially if it's shockingly thin, Retina etc.

• Reply 14 of 69
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I'm hoping for some of the features I've talked about for years regarding a wearable being demoed this time, complete pricing data, BT headphones, the Retina 12" MBAs, and more people coming around to the wearables market, mostly with some lame, "yeah, but, no but, I don't know about that being a feature" comment. Just because you can't see the peak doesn't mean the mountain doesn't exist.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

I agree... just some of the crazy stuff, thought I'd pitch in.. lol

Honestly, if 12" MBA exists, I seriously hope they wait for Skylake and fully integrate all of Skylake's reported wireless abilities. Wireless 4k Display, Wireless Device connectivity and Wireless charging.. combined with the new single port 'rumor' that would actually make an awesome system.. Only connect cables when you 'must'.. dream within a dream.. lol

Don't care for touch screen or anything like that. 

Wild dream, dude, wild dream.

• Reply 16 of 69
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

The MBA may launch right away, but remember that ?Watch has many unique aspects. First new market category under Cook. Needs to be huge if it wants to be more than a blip compared to their record breaking revenues per quarter. It's a much jewelry as it is CE.

This might push Apple to market these at various stores out of the gate, that aren't computer stores. Jewelry stores for the ?Watch Edition models, sporting good stores for the ?Watch Sport models, department stores for ?Watch models, for example. That would take some extra time.

Finally, for a new product category it would be unusual for Apple to not have a long lead time.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zelmung View Post

No iPad+, it'll be in Oct event. If iPad+ will be announced in a few weeks, you would've seen the leaks all over the places by now.

• Reply 18 of 69
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    My God!

Look at that picture. The new MBA is SO SMALL!

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/55080/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

That's an impressive feat of engineering.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Retina MBA- cool.

AWatch- Meh.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    gtr wrote: »
    My God!

Look at that picture. The new MBA is SO SMALL!

That's an impressive feat of engineering.

That is one ugly watch.