Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs film, starring Michael Fassbender, will hit theaters Oct. 9

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
The long-awaited film based on the authorized biography of Steve Jobs, penned by Academy Award winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin, will hit theaters this fall, on Oct. 9.

Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs, and Seth Rogen as Steve Wozniak. Photo via Daily Mail.

The Universal Pictures film, starring Michael Fassbender and directed by Oscar winner Danny Boyle, will go head to head on that Friday with the scheduled openings of "Vacation," "The Finest Hours," and "Kidnap," according to ComingSoon. The fall 2015 release will also qualify it for the 2016 award season, including that year's Oscars.

Joining Fassbender on the cast is Seth Rogen, who will play Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. Jeff Daniels will play former Apple Chief Executive John Sculley, and Oscar winner Kate Winslet will take on the role of Joanna Hoffman, former head of marketing for the Macintosh.

Just this week, photos showing Fassbender as Jobs and Rogen as Wozniak appeared online, giving a first glimpse of the actors as principal photography of the film gears up. Filming is taking place in California, near Apple's current headquarters in Cupertino.

The movie is believed to take place backstage at three product launches, ending with the iMac's debut in 1998.

The movie had a tumultuous path before filming began, including the exit of director David Fincher, and a number of high-profile actors who turned down the lead role. Even the studio behind the movie swapped from Sony to Universal last November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30

Mr. Fancy Pants would have been better casted as Scully, not Jobs. The poor casting alone has pretty well ensured I won't go see this.

• Reply 2 of 30
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Universal has their foot on the movies ass and shoving it out the door.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Mr. Fancy Pants would have been better casted as Scully, not Jobs. The poor casting alone has pretty well ensured I won't go see this.

Indeed.

Why not cast Nicolas Cage as Jobs? At least, he would bring in an audience.
  • Reply 4 of 30

Wake me up when they release "Pirates of Silicon Valley 2" - everything else is irrelevant.

• Reply 5 of 30
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    That looks like a wig on Fassbaender so I'd say that's how he will look.
    Did Tom Hanks look like Walt Disney in Saving Mr Banks?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Indeed.

I'd prefer Rowan Atkinson actually than Cage.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

“How’d MobileMe get burned? HOW’D IT GET BURNED?! HOW’D IT GET BURNED?!“ 

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

“How does the Macintosh work? Magic.” *HORK HORK*

• Reply 8 of 30
    Slow news day... I hear Woz is gonna be the technical director for this snoozer where a toilet seat is used as inspiration for the new iBook computer case. Seth Rogen will given a lot of potty humor lines to keep the nerds in the audience sniggering over their double meanings.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Did Tom Hanks look like Walt Disney in Saving Mr Banks?

Who knows? The only people that could remember what Walt looked like, can't remember who Walt was...
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Long awaited? That's a bit of a stretch considering there was already one movie. Fassbender is a great actor and I think he can nail this but it seems rushed again or like they're just doing it because they talked about doing it... not because it's the right thing to do.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

I can't believe they are so desperate to make a movie no one is going to care about. He's dead. Let it go. He doesn't need even one movie, much less multiple stillborn attempts.

• Reply 12 of 30
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Michael Fassbender was actually an afterthought. The actual "star" of this film is obviously Aaron Sorkin!
  • Reply 13 of 30
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Universal has their foot on the movies ass and shoving it out the door.

Ha ha. They are probably tired of dealing with it and want to put it behind them. Maybe someone owes Sorkin a favor.

• Reply 14 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I have such low expectations for this movie. :no:

• Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Who knows? The only people that could remember what Walt looked like, can't remember who Walt was...

I think Walt Disney looked like Tom Hanks. That's what I remember. That little pencil mustache.

Or...maybe it was John Waters?

• Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Indeed.

Now, that's just being silly.

• Reply 17 of 30

Seth Rogan looks too serious in that shot.

I don't think Woz was ever like that.  He doesn't come across that way. He comes across as a goofball engineer who is geek to the bone in a child-like way and likes to tinker around.

• Reply 18 of 30
    They just started production and it's done before the next Star Wars... because how hard is it to film people walking and talking?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    It's just a film now I see not a "biopic" anymore.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I am not a film snob -- far from it, in fact -- but Fassbender is easily one of the greatest actors of his generation.

I might actually want to see the movie because he's in it, despite its casting of Seth Rogan.